Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I didn't think I would but I'm really enjoying running magicites instead of the EXP dungeons; the EXP per stamina is insane. There'll be days I'm sure where I just don't have the time but it's a nice break from grinding crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is Icicle Rush worth honing for Josef if I bring him to the ice trials for his USB?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not having to worry about my keystones piling up when I don't feel like doing magicites, while also being able to do magicites whenever I do feel like it, is really nice.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

also nice: having a reasonable way to get magicite exp

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I've gotta figure out the right balance: The min-maxer in me wants to run magicites all Sunday long, but the actual human in me knows there no loving way I'm going to do 24 magicites in one day.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

use sundays to do the weekly event dungeon

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just unlocked 4 star magicites but I feel like they'll mince me considering I can't sub-30 any of the previous ones but Sealion

Shout outs to my 1 minute 44 seconds Liquid Flame clear.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I just unlocked 4 star magicites but I feel like they'll mince me considering I can't sub-30 any of the previous ones but Sealion

Shout outs to my 1 minute 44 seconds Liquid Flame clear.

I just unlocked 3* and got pasted on my first one before getting past 75% lol.

Do people generally run 3DPS/1support/1healer for 3*?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd suggest trying double healer for the first few kills on magicites, unless you've got one of the S-tier USBs

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've got deuce USB/BSB, selphie USB/BSB, aphmau USB and elarra USB/LMR for healers. I dived deuce, but don't have enough 4* motes for others, I'm swimming in 5*s but 4*s are in short supply atm.

So should I double healer, support and 2 DPS, or forgo support?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MF_James posted:

I just unlocked 3* and got pasted on my first one before getting past 75% lol.

Do people generally run 3DPS/1support/1healer for 3*?

I've been going 2 DPS/Support/Healer/Entrust Bot. If I had better, more synergistic relics or like a million hones on some key abilities I could run 3 DPS/healer/entrust, but I don't.

It doesn't help that I'm mostly breaking out the BSBs to do relevant level damage which don't have amazing commands anymore at this level. Vivi w/2x 30% MAG boost, Trance and his Magic Bargain command does 5k per hit on his BSB2 cmd1, but hits for 9999 each hit of Chain Blizzaga.

Also the jumpstarts are good for 4^ motes right now if you still have them undone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also support characters aren't very useful unless they're entrust bots. Stat breaks are only 20% effective against magicite bosses, so they're nearly useless.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah part of my issue is lack synergy in the right places, I have a decent melee wind team, but it seems that is not very good vs golem as that's the one I got to 75%; I have cloud USB/BSB2, Zack chain/USB/BSB and luneth OSB/BSB. Everything else is all over the loving place, though I do have yuffie+edge with their good USBs and BSBs already fully dived. Lack of hones also hurts here, I'mg oing to have to hammer some of the powerups over the next couple weeks to get stuff up to snuff.

*edit*

Yeah my support guys are just entrusting, using OK to drop his pUSB or BSB depending on team and then entrusting, or I can bring tyro w/ wall and use him to entrust.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MF_James posted:

I've got deuce USB/BSB, selphie USB/BSB, aphmau USB and elarra USB/LMR for healers. I dived deuce, but don't have enough 4* motes for others, I'm swimming in 5*s but 4*s are in short supply atm.

So should I double healer, support and 2 DPS, or forgo support?

you've got elarra USB, just skip straight to single-healing 4*s

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Prav posted:

you've got elarra USB, just skip straight to single-healing 4*s

poo poo I forgot that it has super regen on-top of quick2, I thought it was more like aphmaus with a buff + quick

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MF_James posted:

Yeah part of my issue is lack synergy in the right places, I have a decent melee wind team, but it seems that is not very good vs golem as that's the one I got to 75%; I have cloud USB/BSB2, Zack chain/USB/BSB and luneth OSB/BSB. Everything else is all over the loving place, though I do have yuffie+edge with their good USBs and BSBs already fully dived. Lack of hones also hurts here, I'mg oing to have to hammer some of the powerups over the next couple weeks to get stuff up to snuff.

*edit*

Yeah my support guys are just entrusting, using OK to drop his pUSB or BSB depending on team and then entrusting, or I can bring tyro w/ wall and use him to entrust.

You have far more than I do wind-wise, I cleared with Alphinaud BSB and a 2-use Tiamat, and Vivi using Meltdown and Tornado. And no other sources of wind damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

*edit*

Cloud USB and Zack CSB is more than enough to dps Golem, and you can easily sub-30 it with two entrusters and Ellara USB. You don't even really need hones, just get two bars for Cloud and do USB->BSB->CMD1 spam until it's dead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Cloud USB and Zack CSB is more than enough to dps Golem, and you can easily sub-30 it with two entrusters and Ellara USB. You don't even really need hones, just get two bars for Cloud and do USB->BSB->CMD1 spam until it's dead.

If you can somehow get off another Cloud USB entry while his EX Mode is active, the next USB entry does hilarious damage.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Apparently Tantarian's weird gimmick will only have the book open at between 900 and 5400 damage. Which means that you can't just bring your farming team in and expect to faceroll a low-level encounter like I did. Dealing at most 5400 damage is actually pretty hard - even one of my cores wearing no gear (but still at level 99 because I have too many growth eggs) hit ~6700 with Thundaja because I haven't owned most 3* or lower abilities for months. :psyduck: Eventually I managed to underclock things enough to get the threshold with a standard attack (p1.0), but drat was it hard to find this trap existed.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

Apparently Tantarian's weird gimmick will only have the book open at between 900 and 5400 damage. Which means that you can't just bring your farming team in and expect to faceroll a low-level encounter like I did. Dealing at most 5400 damage is actually pretty hard - even one of my cores wearing no gear (but still at level 99 because I have too many growth eggs) hit ~6700 with Thundaja because I haven't owned most 3* or lower abilities for months. :psyduck: Eventually I managed to underclock things enough to get the threshold with a standard attack (p1.0), but drat was it hard to find this trap existed.

Yep, just have to have a caster melee it. Eiko is perfect with a bard weap equipped.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 20, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cactuar is a fixed 3000 damage if you have any summoners.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

900-5400 sounds like ninja scroll territory

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I did it with Sabin using Piercing Blow, which I still had for some reason :shrug:

Who knew that defense-ignoring stuff was good for underselling hits on weaksauce enemies?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Any advice on what level of power I need to start tackling the 4 star magicites? I briefly tried Isgebind and it felt like I'd need two healers to stay on top of the damage. I have Terra (BSB/BSB2/USB/Dualcast Fire LMR) and Vivi (BSB/BSB2) fully legend dived for DPS. I have an undived Vincent with his BSB as well. Tyro has Godwall, and my healers are BSB Alma, BSB/USB Relm, or BSB Yshtola. Leaning towards Relm and Ysh because there's no magic damage in Isgebind, but I'll be sad to lose Alma's dualcasting. At least Ysh can do it too.

Is that a decent start if I dive Ysh to her dualcast LM? Vivi/Terra DPS, Relm/Ysh Healing, Tyro Godwall/Entrust? I don't want fantastic times right off the bat, just clears. Worth grinding up 3star Fire magicites to get 15% Empower Fire on the Imperil? Or better to use Liquid Flame's Ice Blink?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you can reliably beat all the 3* magicites, you can probably beat a 4*. Definitely get a level 99 Unicorn for the entry astra. Most 4* fights have annoying status effects to deal with.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
I decided to try D??? Cuchulainn once more to make sure my first run wasn’t a fluke, swapping Mimic Queen for a second Evrae.

Turns out it’s not only repeatable, but it had tons of room for improvement. Just swapping one Magicite shaved off ten seconds from my time.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Considering a hail mary final pull on FFT, since there's not much more FFT stuff on the horizon but there's a lot of opportunities for FFV stuff (specifically Bartz, which is what I'm saving for). Bartz stuff is next week, fest banner 2 and another month after that. He's all over the place, but Ovelia/Agrias are only now as near as I can tell.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

JP's just about to have a FFT event soonish, and while we don't know what exactly is on it it does seem to be more mage stuff - which might end up being even better for the torment than brute forcing it with holy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have decided this game takes up a lot of my IRL time. Gonna quit. How do I go about gifting my account?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Link it to a throwaway facebook account would probably be easiest.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Link it to a throwaway facebook account would probably be easiest.

Great, now does anyone want an account? It's pretty swole.

CHAINS
Tidus water chain
Zack wind chain
Kain lightning chain
Seymour dark chain
Krile fire chain
Rinoa ice chain

USB
Bartz
Cloud
Lightning
Terra
Dorgann
Noel
Warrior of Light
Agrias
Squall
Marche
Auron
Sephiroth
Galuf
Refia
Aerith
Yuna
Marach
Ysayle
Cloud of Darkness
Vivi
Faris x2
Rosa
Rydia
Edea
Alphinaud
Elarra
Tyro
Tidus
Lulu

ARCANE OVERSTRIKES
Squall
Terra
Noctis
Yuffie

Lots of other great stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh my phone just sent me a push notification saying my stamina was restored, is that new? or did i get an update that switched it on?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

djfooboo posted:

Lots of other great stuff.
Man I've been playing since late-ish year 1 and I'd be all over this tbh.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

huh my phone just sent me a push notification saying my stamina was restored, is that new? or did i get an update that switched it on?

yeah that's a recent addition

about goddamn time imo

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
*looks at recent pulls - 2x dupe Raines BSB/Elarra LMR, Alma USB, Amarant USB*

I'm tempted to take that account to be perfectly honest.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Does the torment go away after the event expires or does it stay?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Shoenin posted:

Does the torment go away after the event expires or does it stay?
New torments are permanent content.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Making sure about that, cool.
When they said long term they meant it. Makes sense they have their own dwelling

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Armitage posted:

*looks at recent pulls - 2x dupe Raines BSB/Elarra LMR, Alma USB, Amarant USB*

I'm tempted to take that account to be perfectly honest.

having a different account wont make you stop hating every single pull you make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

rabidsquid posted:

having a different account wont make you stop hating every single pull you make

True, but, drat, a lot of that stuff owns.