Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It can stop right after the Lion King, because that one actually looks like it's going to be pretty cool.

*lets out a "meh" so loud it breaks windows*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

That's pretty cool

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Those Sokolov vids are pretty cool.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pick posted:

The irony of complaining that animation is dead and completely ignoring when a huge traditional animation project from one of world animation's historic artistic powerhouses aaahhh gently caress it

Yeah, I've been wondering: Do people actually not want 2D animated movies, or are the powers that be just assuming that 2D animation is obsolete because CGI is a thing (and/or because CGI offers the opportunity to sell 3D tickets).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering: Do people actually not want 2D animated movies, or are the powers that be just assuming that 2D animation is obsolete because CGI is a thing (and/or because CGI offers the opportunity to sell 3D tickets).

What was the last major 2D animated movie? My Little Pony? I think it might honestly be a bit of both; since the advent of CG most 2D theatrical films I can think of, even the well-regarded ones have been box office disappointments to bombs, even the well-marketed and overly ambitious ones, but it doesn't help that Disney took a different marketing and thematic tack with the CGI movies like Tangled and Frozen.

Maybe it also doesn't help that most successful adult-oriented cartoons are seen as South Park style; low budget, deliberately crude and/or simple animation and focusing on adult humour and themes (to more or less extents) while CGI is probably perceived as having higher production values and effort. (regardless of the truth that both are pretty expensive and difficult) In short, people have low expectations of 2D animated theatrical movies, which have mostly been met in recent history.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know this is nothing new, even for me because I've seen both movies before. But my 2-year-old son's new favorite movie is How To Train Your Dragon. Recently we bought the sequel since we'd only rented it before, years ago. Aside from the problems with the story, I was struck by how much more dreary, unpleasant, and weird it looks by comparison. It's basically the movie equivalent of that well-worn video game trope of better technology = more brown. Stoic, his beard, and his outfit are all practically the same color. I think they also stepped into the uncanny valley due to some combination of the more "realistic" lighting and probably more sophisticated modeling on the characters themselves. They look distinctly more like moving dolls in this one. More realistic, yes, but not in the way they hoped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that Hiccup mentions that it snows 9 months of the year and hails the other 3 in Berk, yet the movie is set entirely in clear blue skies.

Come to think of it, was Lilo and Stitch the last 2D animated movie that was a big success?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What was the last major 2D animated movie? My Little Pony? I think it might honestly be a bit of both; since the advent of CG most 2D theatrical films I can think of, even the well-regarded ones have been box office disappointments to bombs, even the well-marketed and overly ambitious ones, but it doesn't help that Disney took a different marketing and thematic tack with the CGI movies like Tangled and Frozen.

Maybe it also doesn't help that most successful adult-oriented cartoons are seen as South Park style; low budget, deliberately crude and/or simple animation and focusing on adult humour and themes (to more or less extents) while CGI is probably perceived as having higher production values and effort. (regardless of the truth that both are pretty expensive and difficult) In short, people have low expectations of 2D animated theatrical movies, which have mostly been met in recent history.

Isn't there a Teen Titan's Go movie that's coming out? I saw it advertised in front of Ant-Man & The Wasp, and it looked traditional, if not the Flash style of how animation is now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking at that "Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection" dvd set - does anyone have it and, if so, can you tell me how comprehensive it is? Similarly, are there "complete collection" releases for classic Disney shorts or Tom & Jerry cartoons?

Thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been looking at that "Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection" dvd set - does anyone have it and, if so, can you tell me how comprehensive it is? Similarly, are there "complete collection" releases for classic Disney shorts or Tom & Jerry cartoons?

Thanks.

I have the first volume on Bluray, and it's not chronological or complete. It does have a lot of special features however. Wikipedia tells you what's on there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection:_Volume_1

EDIT: Oof, don't get the DVD:

quote:

A DVD version of the box set was released on July 3, 2012, but contained no extras.[4]

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

I shot myself in the foot at Dreamworks over this.

"Hey there's this experimental feature in development, want to join it? It's a hybrid half 2D traditional, half 3d piece and needs a bunch of unique problems figured out.. or you can go onto Dragons 2."

I'll go to that 2d/3d project!

*half a year later*

"Hey there's a 9 AM meeting! Mandatory! Full crew!"

"Who the hell schedules a 9AM meeting?"

*cold stare*

"Ohhhhhhhh poo poo"

*multiple projects canceled, layoffs ensue*

I'd probably still be at DWA if I picked the safe project :)

Oh well.

I think I know which you're talking about, the one where 40% of the animation was done and they still decided to axe it.

There was also that Tim Minchin film I wanted to see so badly, and it met the same fate. Oh Dreamworks...

IUG posted:

Isn't there a Teen Titan's Go movie that's coming out? I saw it advertised in front of Ant-Man & The Wasp, and it looked traditional, if not the Flash style of how animation is now.

Toon Boom, yeah. Which can certainly do full hand-drawn animation, and for a feature there probably will be shots that are fully hand-drawn as opposed to relying on puppet animation. But its a far cry from full Disney or Dreamwork-style animation. A good chance for a TV crew to work on something bigger and better though.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Pick posted:

gently caress I think they did it!!!!! I think it's been released?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzX0fbzm8RM

Ohhhh gently caress yeah stop-motion fairy tales are my jam

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks.

The 6 Golden sets collect just under 400 shorts out of about 1000. I think getting the non-redundant Super Stars single disc sets, the three Blu Platinum sets, Mouse Chronicles, and Porky Pig 101 gets you about 550 total.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I drat near want to cry with joy that Hoffmanida is being released. I never gave up hope, but I logically should have. I've posted about following its progress over the years.

LET'S CELEBRATE

SOVIET

STYYYLEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr7BXipUvI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
OK fine. But if you don't like KONTAKT you're a piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemtuqGZBI4

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It certainly does bum me that 2D animated films have gone the way of the dodo (at least, from the North American animation industry). Like, Tangled looks fantastic, but drat if the concept art that makes it out like a traditional 2D Disney film doesn't look better. (That said, I can't really see, say, Zootopia or Wreck-It Ralph as anything but CG films through-and-through.)

I don't really see that changing until a film studio decides to take a crazy gamble on a 2D animated film that somehow pays off in a gargantuan way. This would sort of be like how the games industry had basically decided that survival horror games were an unprofitable waste of time, to the point that the traditional survival horror genre mainstays like Resident Evil were turning into typical action games wot had zombies in them instead of having any real survival aspect. Then indie games made to fill the void, like Amnesia and Outlast, started making big bucks, and suddenly whoops Resident Evil 7 is right back to survival horror and wouldn't you know it it's raking in tons of dough.

I don't know which studio would be the one to take that risk, though. As noted, there is Lionsgate's My Little Pony: The Movie from last year and then WB's Teen Titans Go! to the Movies sometime around about now, but the former wasn't the one to break whatever barrier we're stuck behind, and I rather doubt the latter will be either (not helped by CN seriously oversaturating Teen Titans Go! in their schedule). If I had to guess, Disney would eventually be the one to do it - for one thing, they have more money (and franchises) than God, but for another, IIRC their attempted Mort adaptation was already supposed to have been the 2D department's next big project after Winnie the Pooh, but the holdup surrounding the licensing snafu wound up tanking the department instead. Point is, they had interest in continuing their 2D legacy; Lord knows if it's still dormant there, waiting to be tapped. At any rate, given they're more interested in turning all their traditionally-animated cartoons into live-action films at the moment, I'm not really holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why mourn what was insufficiently appreciated in life?

This is one of my favorite feature-length animated films. Almost no one has seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAmISW76Rk

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The answer is clearly full communism now -> 2D animation comes back

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It floors me that with all the talent in California, no one established a studio to put out a 2d feature outside of the Disney/Dreamworks mold. Yet in tiny Ireland Tomm Moore made Book of Kells and Song of the Sea.

Now Ireland is flush with subsidy money for animation so the industry is growing and directors and production staff from California and Canada are moving there to work on projects.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm sad the concept for Tangled didn't end up working - as iirc, they ended up scrapping it because they just couldn't make it look right.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gonna check out Long Way North tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dkIMhXdIE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Looks ok, but it sounds like they recorded half of it in an echoey church hall.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Similarly, are there "complete collection" releases for classic Disney shorts or Tom & Jerry cartoons?

I think they're out of print now, but Disney's "treasure collections" were actually the best complete collection DVD's out of any of them and are well worth tracking down if at all possible. They had comprehensive, chronological sets for each character that held nothing back. For any cartoon that might nowadays be considered to have eyebrow-raising content they would have Leonard Maltin do a brief introduction to discuss the cultural context at the time. I really wish Looney Tunes would get the same treatment. I don't need them to include poo poo like Buddy or Cool Cat, but if they made some nice complete Bugs and Daffy collections I'd buy them for full MSRP in a heartbeat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The_Doctor posted:

Looks ok, but it sounds like they recorded half of it in an echoey church hall.

The dub sounds pre' bad, I'm hoping I can see it in Russian with subs

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

keep seeing TTG ads, and I can't help but think it'll run into the same issue as Penguins of Madagascar and the MLP movie where parents see no reason to spend quite a bit of money for something that's just a little longer than the shows their kids can see on TV at no extra cost.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We're getting a Steven Universe movie. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlmfPB20Ln4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And Invader Zim for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwDN8pJvW2I

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want to say I'm upset but fuuuck I still love invader zim

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I want to say I'm upset but fuuuck I still love invader zim

Same.

I am kinda worried it'll pull a Samurai Jack and be just different enough from the source material that'll feel unsatisfying, since unlike Steven Universe there's quite a few years between the end of the series and the movie. Even if they have the entire crew back, they've all moved on and are at different places in their lives, which will change how they perceive their own work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's being based off the comic isn't it? Jhonen Vasquez is involved 100% too. I think the only thing that might end up feeling weird is I don't think Tak is involved, and she was setting up to be a big thing in the story on the show

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The techno-hell of Invader Zim gets more real every year. It's uncanny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jhonen still hates food, I see.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Just got out of the Disenchantment panel at SDCC and it looks pretty good! The trailers were a little bleh but the extended clips they showed had some great gags, and apparently they're trying to do a more serialized story for each of the two seasons Netflix gave them (Including a concrete ending for the series in Season 2). Definitely gonna try to watch it when it starts streaming.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

J-Spot posted:

I think they're out of print now, but Disney's "treasure collections" were actually the best complete collection DVD's out of any of them and are well worth tracking down if at all possible. They had comprehensive, chronological sets for each character that held nothing back. For any cartoon that might nowadays be considered to have eyebrow-raising content they would have Leonard Maltin do a brief introduction to discuss the cultural context at the time. I really wish Looney Tunes would get the same treatment. I don't need them to include poo poo like Buddy or Cool Cat, but if they made some nice complete Bugs and Daffy collections I'd buy them for full MSRP in a heartbeat.

The WWII set is amazing since it has all the theatrical cartoons, but it also has war bond/public information films and training shorts. All fully restored - even Victory Through Air Power looks brand new.

Tom & Jerry fizzled out. Warner Bros. put out one volume from compromised sources (60s reissue prints) and then announced a second volume that would be omitting several un-PC shorts. There was a bunch of outcry and they just cancelled it. They also stopped after 3 1/2 Looney Tunes sets on Blu-ray before giving up.

Meanwhile, Kino Lorber is on track to release every single DePatie-Freleng cartoon ever made (Pink Panther, Inspector, Ant and the Aardvark). They're up to 12 volumes so far.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 22, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

With the Dragon Prince trailer out, that's the fastest I've seen hype fizzled out - holy gently caress the animation is incredibly choppy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They animated it on 3s which is real difficult to pull off. Anime studios have been trying for years to get that to look right and they finally succeeded with Houseki no Kuni, but it was a a long road. Having a studio like Bardel, who usually does full-frame animation for Dreamworks shows, suddenly animating on 3s must have thrown the crew.

However I still think it looks okay and will be very watchable, especially if the poses and timing in the action scenes are good. It looks SO much better than something like RWBY. They've got the shadows shapes on the character's faces looking really nice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

frankly, RWBY is an *Extremely* low bar, you think advancing to professional-grade equipment from their MMD roots would've improved the quality dramatically, all it really did it just makes the models look less janky and add some shadows.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
isn't RWBY made by a team of like, four people?

I know the first season was done pretty much singlehandedly by Monty Oum, though that never explained why it looked worse than his Halo seasons did

RWBY is not and has never been very good, though, so yeah that's the lowest bar you could possibly clear

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I know first season was mainly because Miku Miku Dance was mainly designed for short bursts, and doesn't really have much in the way of lighting effects and it's really kind of fiddly. Later seasons when they moved to Maia and other professional-grade equipment, they just never really bothered to learn to use it for full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Same.

I am kinda worried it'll pull a Samurai Jack and be just different enough from the source material that'll feel unsatisfying, since unlike Steven Universe there's quite a few years between the end of the series and the movie. Even if they have the entire crew back, they've all moved on and are at different places in their lives, which will change how they perceive their own work.

We didn't have a lot of the crew back, but I was an... embarrassingly huge Zim fan back in the day. There's variance, but it doesn't pull that cliff jump that S5 Samurai Jack does. (And I'm only so harsh on that because episodes 1-3 blew me away.) Having been on both sides of the fence now, Zim fans should be pretty happy with the final product.

I drew all the literal garbage that appears in the movie, btw. It kept me employed for 8 months. It is easter egg'd to gently caress.