Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Alfyn's Chapter 2 chat with Therion sure was...interesting. Alfyn why do you carry around a thorn that not only puts people to sleep but also gives them nightmares????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is this game worth me buying a Switch for? My brother in law keeps telling me it is, but I also have to buy a PS4 for Red Dead Redemption 2 this year. I love rpg's and class systems, so this sounds right up my alley and I really like the art style.

Buying a Switch means you can play Breath of the Wild and a lot of other good games, including Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (if you don't mind the outfits/anime), Disgaea 5, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 DX...etc.

XainZero posted:

Alfyn's Chapter 2 chat with Therion sure was...interesting. Alfyn why do you carry around a thorn that not only puts people to sleep but also gives them nightmares????

The real question is why the hell doesn't he use it in battle? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 19, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

That seems like it's probably fine if you put it on, say, Cyrus, whose base job can clean up in random encounters all on its own.

It's a good class if you use it in a party that has two characters that can wreck random encounters (one magical and one physical). Cyrus with Runelord does indeed accomplish both points in terms of using Runelord as an offensive class, but Runelord also has a skill called Transfer Rune which turns self-target abilities into party-target abilities so you don't necessarily need to put it on Cyrus to get the full potential out of it (and allows Runelord to be used in a supportive way). I've used a Runelord with Sorcerer!Cyrus packing the Staff Weapon Skill Elemental Bane (which means Runes trigger after execution) and it owns.

XainZero posted:

To be fair, boy does Vanessa deserve it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

XainZero posted:

Alfyn is a terrifying person. Like this thread goes on about him being the goodest boy but the guy has NO moral qualms at all about robbing people, torturing people, straight up murdering people, etc.

Alfyn’s way or hell, there is no other

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's interesting that the four rogue path characters have the four worst physical defenses; they have four of the five worst HP totals; and all but Cyrus are tied with Olberic for the worst elemental defense. That explains a lot about why my whole team died instantly to Cyrus's chapter 4 boss on the first turn.

It appears (as pointed out here) that the character stats were normalized so they'd be approximately balanced. Each character distributes 100 points between the ten stats, with values for each stat between 7 and 13. At level 1, each point in HP is worth 25, each point in SP is worth 5, and points in any other stat count for 8.
  • H'annit is a glass cannon, with the best physical attacking stats but awful defenses and a small skill point pool. Therion has almost the same stat distribution. Primrose is their elemental attacking counterpart.
  • Alfyn is slow but very tanky. Olberic follows the same mold but loses a big chunk of elemental defense and SP in exchange for slightly better strength.
  • Ophilia is surprisingly buff. She has above-average physical defense and the best elemental defense. She also has the best SP total and the second-best elemental attack, but she's slow as hell and doesn't really dodge or crit.
  • Cyrus also has good elemental defense and fantastic magic attack but has the worst health and mediocre stats otherwise.
  • Tressa is thoroughly average in every category.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Holy crap you can fast travel to towns while you're in a dungeon! :psyduck:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Therion's divine skill is just ridiculous. Pretty much all random battles are over after almost one turn, since Speed geared Therion tends to go 1st and I can have him buffed for physical attack, accuracy, and speed by then even without any Patience skill procs. I don't even have to break enemies and I'm doing over 10k, sometimes over 20k damage with the attack.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It needs full bp though and that's usually 2-3 turns after a sorcerer has murdered everything

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
First turn give 1 bp to Therion. Divine skill turn 2. Second turn BP battery boosts and gives Therion 3 more BP. Turn 3 Divine Skill again while still having all buffs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just killed a cat in the woods and leveled up like four times

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't dug into the game yet (saving it for an overseas flight), but does it get as crazy as Bravely Default did?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lol if you catch a Cait Sith with H'annit or whatever those cats are called it casts every buff in the game on your entire party for 9 turns

:stare:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Do we know if there are any sources for nuts other than one-time drops from chests and stealing? Or purchasing I guess, if you're a square.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Frankston posted:

I was fighting a boss and he was nearly dead but then primrose did her RNG dance and healed the boss for 30000hp :suicide:

this is still hilarious every time its posted

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

If you think that's crazy, boost it to max level to have every buff on your party and every debuff on the enemy.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Second optional side boss taken down. It's already been mentioned before that the Runelord's unique talents pair well with Sidestep to almost completely neuter the Warmaster. Now I have to put some thought into how to tackle the third one. I have a couple ideas but they'd necessitate more JP farming than I have time for tonight.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

nice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shyfted One posted:

Therion's divine skill is just ridiculous. Pretty much all random battles are over after almost one turn, since Speed geared Therion tends to go 1st and I can have him buffed for physical attack, accuracy, and speed by then even without any Patience skill procs. I don't even have to break enemies and I'm doing over 10k, sometimes over 20k damage with the attack.

Whenever I use Therion's divine it feels like it's not worth it, can you give me an idea of how you're buffing him up that much?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Most of the divines actually seem like duds to be honest. The only one I actually use with any regularity is the Warrior one. The sorc spells and starseer starfall attack are both just too good and that just leaves my fourth character who is my debuff/heal bot anyway.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lord Ephraim posted:

100x exp is one hell of a drug

wtf

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

acumen posted:

Most of the divines actually seem like duds to be honest. The only one I actually use with any regularity is the Warrior one. The sorc spells and starseer starfall attack are both just too good and that just leaves my fourth character who is my debuff/heal bot anyway.

Of the Divines, the ones that provide a buff (like Aelfric's Auspices, Alephan's Enlightenment, Sealticqe's Seduction, and Dohter's Charity) seem to be some of the most useful ones in general. Due to the nature of how they work, I also like the Warmaster and Runelord's Divine Skills.

Though, it should be kept in mind that most Divine Skills are actually for long, drawn out battles like bosses.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can already see the speedruns for this

Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset
Bewildering- Nope reset

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Folt The Bolt posted:

Of the Divines, the ones that provide a buff (like Aelfric's Auspices, Alephan's Enlightenment, Sealticqe's Seduction, and Dohter's Charity) seem to be some of the most useful ones in general. Due to the nature of how they work, I also like the Warmaster and Runelord's Divine Skills.

Though, it should be kept in mind that most Divine Skills are actually for long, drawn out battles like bosses.

They're usually only 3 turns though and cost 3BP. I'm sure it's more damage efficient to just break and use dps skills than divine buff, regain BP, break again and burn BP at that point.

I can see the warmaster/runelord ones being useful for the same reason as the warrior's but I haven't used the latter much and the former is on my warrior so

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Can bewildering dance knock everyone down to 1hp and then hit the party with an explosion right after? I feel like they're both common enough that I should have had it happen to me by now, maybe square made that combination impossible because they hate fun

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

My favourite npc to guide is the church knight who stands outside the chapel in Saintsbridge. He casts a strong three hit ice spell that hits everyone, and instead of punching like a doofus he uses an axe version of level slash.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

acumen posted:

They're usually only 3 turns though and cost 3BP. I'm sure it's more damage efficient to just break and use dps skills than divine buff, regain BP, break again and burn BP at that point.

I can see the warmaster/runelord ones being useful for the same reason as the warrior's but I haven't used the latter much and the former is on my warrior so

At base, you have Alfyn/Tressa with Concoct/Donate BP + Pomegranate items. Being able to keep the BP up for Divine Skill buffs shouldn't be too hard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The divine buffs are bonkers. Try using Ophilia's divine (skills trigger twice) on Tressa and get twice the BP boosts. Bonus points if Tressa also has Patience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flavahbeast posted:

Can bewildering dance knock everyone down to 1hp and then hit the party with an explosion right after? I feel like they're both common enough that I should have had it happen to me by now, maybe square made that combination impossible because they hate fun

It happened to me twice:negative:

IcePhoenix posted:

Primrose has been a little lackluster but I think part of that is me going in on her 25sp dance like people were talking about. It's pretty rare that it helps me more than using her other actions could. I've even gotten two game overs because it did the "you barely survived" followed immediately by "exploding ground." Although to be fair I did summon a monster that nuked the boss of H'aanit's chapter so that was pretty freaking hilarious.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

The divine buffs are bonkers. Try using Ophilia's divine (skills trigger twice) on Tressa and get twice the BP boosts. Bonus points if Tressa also has Patience.

Use it on Primrose, and then have Primrose fully boost and use Bewildering Dance :getin:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

someone post the pdfs tia

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there any actual difference between Inquire and Scrutinize aside from the potential reputation hit? I'm not seeing any reason to use Scrutinize if Alfyn's in the party.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there any actual difference between Inquire and Scrutinize aside from the potential reputation hit? I'm not seeing any reason to use Scrutinize if Alfyn's in the party.

Scrutinize doesn't have a level requirement; Inquire does

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Rep costs money to repair. It's not too bad in most places but some high level cities have fees in the tens of thousands to repair your rep. Grandport costs 100k.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems you can't check the cost for a reputation repair until you actually need one.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Andrast posted:

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne Horizon.

no regrets

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bongo Bill posted:

It seems you can't check the cost for a reputation repair until you actually need one.

it's static, each town has their own cost and they never change as far as I know. I'm sure they're listed online somewhere.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

Scrutinize doesn't have a level requirement; Inquire does

Some of the level requirements are pretty high, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Licarn posted:

Use it on Primrose, and then have Primrose fully boost and use Bewildering Dance :getin:

Following my own advice