Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

talktapes posted:

So I'm a flat footed zilch and I've been hiking using Keen Voyageurs for a few years. On regular dayhikes they're fine, but on any 15+ mile trip (or with an overnight pack), the actual soles of my feet (not the heel, the entire bottom of the foot) are screaming by the end.

Picked up a pair of blue Superfeet and tested them out over the weekend, but after 22 miles I (very unfortunately) found out they made no difference. At this point I'm just really sick of dealing with them as they slow down my mileage exponentially, even if I had to try out four other kinds of boots before settling on the Voyageurs.

Is it possible the shanks on these things just aren't cutting it? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a different type of boot that might not cause me to want to kill myself at the end of a long trip?

Your feet are always going to get sore eventually. If you hike longer than you normally do, it's more likely to happen. For me, personally, in terms of how many miles I can go before getting sore feet / likelihood of getting sore feet:

lightweight very flexible shoes > flexible hiking boots >> any mountaineering boot

So I'd say that a beefier shank / stiffer sole--while useful in other ways for some applications--isn't the ticket to more comfortable feet, and I think most people agree. In general I've had the fewest incidents of sore feet and the longest endurance before getting sore feet with lightweight trail runner type shoes, or lightweight (but still comfortable for hiking) approach shoes. Right now I'm using la sportiva TX3s whenever I can get away with it and they've been great. Feet are black magic though, and the only surefire way to find out of other shoes work better for you is to try them. If you're having issues with your current shoes, I think your best bet is to just try some other ones and see how it goes...Unfortunately I've found that the boot/shoe that fits best walking around while trying them on is often not the best when it comes to actually hiking for long miles.

Other than that, I've found that if I don't routinely stress my feet by hiking X miles, hikes equal or greater than X miles are gonna give me sore feet at some point. If I do routinely hike X miles, my feet will probably be OK unless I do more than X miles in a day. Usually, if I've gone several weeks or months without a big mileage day and dive right back into it (even if I've had a lot of shorter hikes in between) sore feet are guaranteed. But "just do painful thing more until it stops hurting" is not generally regarded as medical best practice so take that with a grain of salt. 15-20 miles is a solid half-to-full day dayhike on reasonable terrain, so you might just try banging one of those out once a week and see if things improve, and stop if things seem to be getting worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is really cool! I love my Garmin Fenix 3 HR watch for tracking hikes and mileage, so I'm sold on the utility having a real gps with mapping and guidance.

How much is the subscription service to send messages?

I'd love to hear more about this once you've used it for a bit. Do you have to have it paired for mapping proposes, or can you just upload maps to it to use without a cellphone?

E: just a side note on the Fenix 3, one of my hiking buddies has a full top of the line Garmin gps unit that's the same as the one he used for survey work with the national Park service, and the mileage/elevation tracking is drat near spot on with the Fenix 3 watch. For once having thought standalone gps units were obsolete tech, I'm really blown away by the utility of these devices.

There are multiple tiers of service you can get with the InReach folks, depending on how much map-tracking and texting you want to do. I have the basic package which is $20/month, but the overages aren't terrible. My buddy used it for a week long sailing trip on lake superior and sent texts over the monthly limit and did a whole bunch of extra tracking and it was only another 15 dollars. There's also a $30 yearly fee. But you can also change the service levels on the fly if you want better tracking or more texts and it's very reasonably priced. You can also suspend your service for periods of time where it won't be used.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
E: That was supposed to be in the fishing thread.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm reading "Early Days in the Range of Light" which is about a guy who researched a bunch of the early explorers and first ascents of peaks in the Sierra and a lot of it is basically about how little they carried (mostly just a hobo sack at most and a blanket for sleeping if you're lucky) and while it's crazy the stuff those guys did and with so little, it also makes me feel a little ridiculous how much technology creep we're getting even into the back country. People want to stay connected, gotta be able to communicate, gotta get all their stats or have exact directions of where they're going...it's a little sad so much adventure has gone out of things in some ways.

On the other hand, it feels dumb to crap on what are basically safety items. It makes sense to carry emergency beacons, maybe GPS to know where you are, etc, but it's all in all a vastly different experience now.

That all said...

incogneato posted:

All this talk of GPS stuff reminded me:

What are people's thoughts on stuff like the Gaia GPS app? Is it worth $20/$40 per year? Are any hiking GPS apps worth it?

We just do long day hikes and fairly simple backpacking, always on trails. It's nice to be able to check our place on a trail, find junctions, etc.

We always have our phones with us anyway, since they are also our cameras.

I bought Gaia GPS years ago and don't use the subscription stuff (since I bought it so long ago I guess I'm not forced to upgrade to that version?) and I found it great to import CalTopo routes that I created and then I can use the GPS feature to see where I am if I need to. I wouldn't pay a ton for it now but since I have it, it works well.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Levitate posted:

I'm reading "Early Days in the Range of Light" which is about a guy who researched a bunch of the early explorers and first ascents of peaks in the Sierra. Technology creep.

Wouldn't a big factor nowadays be, having to be back at a certain date, so you can go back to your actual job? I'd imagine those early explorers could just disappear for however long they felt like.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hdip posted:

Wouldn't a big factor nowadays be, having to be back at a certain date, so you can go back to your actual job? I'd imagine those early explorers could just disappear for however long they felt like.

Yeah some of them were involved in stuff like the US geologic survey of the mountains, some of them made it their job to be out there all the time (John Muir), etc. At that point it was only the people who were really drawn to the mountains and were willing to either do it as work or commit to being a "mountain bum", while these days it's much more possible to just hit up the trails for a weekend and then head home for work on Monday. I mean poo poo, these days you drive through all the scrubby low laying land near the foothills of the Sierra and you're through it in a few hours while for them it took days from the nearest down to get there.

It was probably the Sierra Club that started making the mountains more accessible to people in general. It wasn't only the lone explorers, the club put together trips where they'd pack in all kinds of poo poo and have what amounted to big parties in the mountains.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I assume those people died all the goddamn time too, we just have forgotten the ones that didn't do it in spectacular fashion or have a noted career beforehand.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

the yeti posted:

I assume those people died all the goddamn time too, we just have forgotten the ones that didn't do it in spectacular fashion or have a noted career beforehand.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I had just finished reading about the climbers rescued off Mt Hood last week. Back before the days of Chinook helicopters for extractions, I assume the whole group would just be a tiny footnote in a local paper (if noted at all). But then again, I suppose one argument is that they may not have attempted the ascent without modern tech, so who knows.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh for sure. reading about John Muir's ascent of Mt Ritter and the guy was hanging off a cliff with nowhere to go and was like "well poo poo, I'm hosed" until he focused enough to find some hand holds and finish his climb

Or the first ascent of Mt Clarence King where the guy literally had to lasso a rock outcrop and climb up the last section dangling thousands of feet over thin air

there are probably people who never made it back because they tried such things and it didn't work out too well for them

e: but seriously Muir was insane. He climbed Ritter in the shoulder season with the threat of snow storms and all he took with him from a base camp in Lyell Canyon was some bread and the clothes on his back. He slept over looking Thousand Island lake under a pine tree and considered that nice and comfortable. Then again, those guys also always lit nice big fires to keep them warm when they needed it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also they brought guns with them and hunted for food, and there were probably often native americans around to have a nice chat with too. "I was delighted to be the first person to have discovered this spectacular new place!" <has dinner with the locals>

e. I think tons of them brought horses with packs of stuff too, I mean maybe not Muir all the time, but your average intrepid exploring white man frontiersman.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Leperflesh posted:

Also they brought guns with them and hunted for food, and there were probably often native americans around to have a nice chat with too. "I was delighted to be the first person to have discovered this spectacular new place!" <has dinner with the locals>

e. I think tons of them brought horses with packs of stuff too, I mean maybe not Muir all the time, but your average intrepid exploring white man frontiersman.

I was actually wondering about that and if I get around to it want to do a little research. most of the stories I'm reading of the first recorded peak baggers etc in the Sierra seem to be when there weren't many native americans around there anymore (if ever, I honestly don't know their history of the Sierra very well).

Seems like they'd have to horse pack in a poo poo ton of stuff to a kind of base camp in the lower altitude because it's not like they could drive to a nice trailhead, but then they'd do their excursions to the peaks with just a rucksack or something.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Posting in here reminds me I actually have a boot question:

I've got a pair of Vasque boots that fit me more or less perfectly length and width wise, which is unusual for me. I use a pair of superfeet insoles for support as well.

On relatively flat ground they're fantastic, but on descents I find I can never get the boots laced tightly enough to keep my feet from sliding forward and my toes bumping the front of the toe box, and traversing sloped ground it always seems like my foot torques around in the boot enough to feel insecure and tiring.

I keep wondering if I need a thicker insole, or a less stiff one to interface with my foot better, or if these boots just have too much space inside or what.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Get a cheap foam sleep pad and cut off a strip and put it between the tongues of your boot and the laces

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Morbus posted:

Feet are black magic though

Hey thanks a ton for typing all that out, very much appreciated. Was hoping there might be a panacea but it's not surprising there probably isn't. When I picked up the Superfeet the salesperson at REI immediately tried to sell me a new pair of boots with better shanks, but your explination seems much more realistic. Historically the overnights I've done are pretty low mileage for the most part (10-15 mi), so it probably really is just a matter of accumulation.

talktapes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 20, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a cheap foam sleep pad and cut off a strip and put it between the tongues of your boot and the laces

:aaa: My dad has toe trouble when we hike together, I'm going to recommend he try this, so clever

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Internet Wizard posted:

drat, this is awesome advice! It's going in the OP :)

All this chat about early frontiersmen reminded me of this thing that motored into our campsite last weekend at Grayson Highlands:

Search and rescue, though how they got that Polaris down the trail we came in on baffles me. They were looking for a lady and her dog, who had gotten lost earlier that day and called in for help. However, instead of staying where she was like the rangers asked her to, she wandered off, away from the scales, which is a central nexus with a with literal road access. The lady in question had actually ran into us earlier that day, and we chatted for a bit, petted her dog, and asked where she was headed. She said parking lot and walked away, which we thought nothing about. She didn't seem in distress, didn't ask for any directions, nothing. Goddamn people are loving dumb.

Funny addendum, the search and rescue volunteers were half lost when they stopped and talked to us... One of our guys who used to do S&R in the grand canyon actually pulled out some maps and gave them directions.

E: have some more Grayson Photos!

E2: They had literal electrified fence pen food storage to help thwart the bears. It was a pretty cool little solar powered unit

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Morbus posted:

I use Avenza just because it's the easiest way I know to import maps directly from CalTopo into the phone. With CalTopo it's easy to make exactly the map I want for any trip, at least in the US.

Tell me more about this please.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

the yeti posted:

Posting in here reminds me I actually have a boot question:

I've got a pair of Vasque boots that fit me more or less perfectly length and width wise, which is unusual for me. I use a pair of superfeet insoles for support as well.

On relatively flat ground they're fantastic, but on descents I find I can never get the boots laced tightly enough to keep my feet from sliding forward and my toes bumping the front of the toe box, and traversing sloped ground it always seems like my foot torques around in the boot enough to feel insecure and tiring.

I keep wondering if I need a thicker insole, or a less stiff one to interface with my foot better, or if these boots just have too much space inside or what.

So, the main thing that keeps your foot from sliding forward is how securely the boot fits around your instep. Reducing the internal volume of the boot, either with a thicker insole or (better) something that reduces volume above your instep like Internet Wizard suggests can help to an extent. Some boots even come with special tongue inserts for this purpose, that have velcro to stick to the inside of the boot to keep them from sliding around. The ones for La Sportiva Nepals are pretty commonly used in different boots. Reducing volume from above the instep is preferable to doing it below your heel since 1.) that's where the real problem is and 2.) insoles that are too high/thick can interfere with the heel cup functioning as well as it should, making things worse (also they may cause the back of your heel and ankles to rub places they shouldn't, causing blisters).

As for the problems you are having sidehilling, at some point this is mostly a function of the stiffness of the sole. A stiffer sole will allow the boot to remain more level while only one side is engaged with the slope and still support you, whereas a more flexible sole will force your foot to rotate and match the angle of the slope. A taller or stiffer ankle, stiffer boot construction in general, and more secure fitting instep that forces your foot to sit securely in the heel cup can also help (so the general problems you are having with boot volume aren't doing you any favors here either), but sole stiffness is probably the most important factor.

That being said, like I mentioned a few posts ago stiffer soles are generally less comfortable especially when walking on less steep terrain and trails. Stiffer boots are also usually heavier and warmer, and many of them are geared towards mountaineering which would be overkill in terms of stiffness and also $$$. Often, the best approach is to just keep using flexible soled footwear and adapt your technique e.g. by turning into the slope.

Depending on the terrain, sometimes a modestly stiff hiking boot is the best compromise. There are hiking boots marketed as "scrambling boots" or "alpine boots" or "approach boots" that are still a notch or two below a full on summer mountaineering boot and comfortable for hiking, but that are a bit more stiff than most hiking boots to have decent edging performance. Boots with a U.K rating of B1 are probably your best bet here. My girlfriend recently got a pair of Salomon X Alp GTX boots and these are a good example. They feel like a hiking boot, not a mountaineering boot (they are way less stiff than my Trangos, which are a more flexible mountaineering boot), and she doesn't hesitate to wear them for long approaches or hikes on easy trails, but the sole is decently stiff and she has used them for hiking in steep off trail terrain, scrambling, and moderately steep snow.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 20, 2018

Morbus
May 18, 2004

n8r posted:

Tell me more about this please.

If you're already familiar with CalTopo, if you print to PDF, you can load that file directly into Avenza (either by opening the file or using the phone camera to scan the QR code on the map), and bam, you've got whatever map you made in caltopo directly on your phone. Avenza is fairly spartan feature-wise, but it will show your position on the map, allow you to take bearings and measure distances, save and load waypoints--all the important basics.

If you aren't familiar with CalTopo, it's a free* website that has all the USGS and other publicly available topo map data for the entire US and I think Canada too. It's easy to make seamless topo maps covering arbitrary areas. There are also lots of features, ranging from things to basic drawings and annotations, to weather visualizations, slope angle shading, custom relief or elevation shading, the ability to superimpose satelite images, basically anything you could imagine.

*the basic service is free but there are paid options for $20 and $50/year that basically let you make very high resolution maps and some other features. There's an offline version for $100/year

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Huh cool - I've used caltopo for years, but I never knew about the exporting feature.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We had to set camp on some pretty hard and rocky ground recently and my body was aching the whole day after. I'm getting older and my tolerance for discomfort is getting lower...

I'm looking for a sleeping pad, or a combination of such, that'll work for a big guy (6'2", 300 pounds) who usually sleeps on the side. Any of y'all have recommendations?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Levitate posted:

Seems like they'd have to horse pack in a poo poo ton of stuff to a kind of base camp in the lower altitude because it's not like they could drive to a nice trailhead, but then they'd do their excursions to the peaks with just a rucksack or something.

If you replace the horse with a car, there are still some places like this. If you want remote alpine climbing in the lower 48, the picket range can still serve that up.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

anatomi posted:

We had to set camp on some pretty hard and rocky ground recently and my body was aching the whole day after. I'm getting older and my tolerance for discomfort is getting lower...

I'm looking for a sleeping pad, or a combination of such, that'll work for a big guy (6'2", 300 pounds) who usually sleeps on the side. Any of y'all have recommendations?

If you have an REI close by, sometimes (always?) they have sleeping pads to try out. The one near me has a raised table/bed thing to lay on. You feel pretty silly rolling around on sleeping pads in the middle of a store, but it was nice to try before buying.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

anatomi posted:

I'm about 6'4", ~240 pounds, and I usually hammock because I get an awesome and comfortable night's sleep in that. However, when I'm on the ground, I recently switched from an REI flash pad to a Thermarest Venture, because the flash developed a slow leak that left me on the ground every two hours throughout the night, which recently hosed me over on a remote weeklong backpacking trip.

I've been out with the Venture pad a couple times since then, and I like it. Not as much as a hammock, but it's alright for sleeping on the ground.

I bought it for a few reasons. Mainly, it's cheap. I paid 50$ on fleabay for a new pad. Also, I went with Thermarest because they warranty their pads. At worst I'm out 20$ for a replacement pad if they decide to charge me for repairs.

It's not the lightest or the highest R value, but it seems to be a nice blend between durability, comfort, and price. The main downside is that you have to blow to inflate it, no squeeze bag. This means warm moisture filling it up, leading to mold growth and eventual degradation. But, considering how rarely I use it, and the warranty guarantee, it's a pretty drat good good stopgap till the next generation of sleeping pads.

If you want luxury, check out the Neoair Dream. It's basically like a mattress, but it weighs something like five pounds.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

anatomi posted:

Is this for backpacking or just camping (i.e. how important is the weight of the pad)? Also what are you using currently, to help set a baseline?

In general, your best bet is to get a high thickness air mattress, optionally backed by a foam pad. Most manufactuers (I'm most famliar with Thermarest and Exped_ will have both backpacking oriented but still thick air matresses (Exped Synmat Downmat comes to mind), and also heavier "comfort" oriented pads that don't have quite as good a thickness/weight ratio but are up to 5" thick.

If minimizing packweight is important, something like a Neoair Xtherm + Zlite foam pad is about as lofty as you can get while maintaining system weight of ~2 lbs. In the 2-4 lbs range, there are a lot of options like the Downmat + foam pad, or comfort oriented pads like the Thermarest LuxyryMap or Exped Megamat (although a lot of the comfort oriented pads have a much higher packed volume).

Obviously if you want super high loft *and* minimal weight *and* low packed volume you gonna $$$

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Morbus posted:

If minimizing packweight is important, something like a Neoair Xtherm + Zlite foam pad is about as lofty as you can get while maintaining system weight of ~2 lbs.

Obviously if you want super high loft *and* minimal weight *and* low packed volume you gonna $$$

I have the insulatd massdrop kylmit with an r-value of 4.4 and weight of 18 oz and cost $65. My wife has the z-sol which is r2.6 and 14oz. at $35. Putting them both together is r6.6 for 32oz and $100 is probably the cheapest and lightest it can be done at a not too terrible volume.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....man, I kind of regret the Exped, now. Paid $120, for 2.3 lbs of R5.9..... so not only is it not as cheap, not as good, and also heavier.

edit: wait, is that the loving gram weenie in me talking again? Goddamnit, shoo.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

incogneato posted:

If you have an REI close by, sometimes (always?) they have sleeping pads to try out. The one near me has a raised table/bed thing to lay on. You feel pretty silly rolling around on sleeping pads in the middle of a store, but it was nice to try before buying.
No REIs in Sweden, unfortunately. But we do have something similar not too far away. Good idea to try things out before committing!

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's not the lightest or the highest R value, but it seems to be a nice blend between durability, comfort, and price. The main downside is that you have to blow to inflate it, no squeeze bag. This means warm moisture filling it up, leading to mold growth and eventual degradation. But, considering how rarely I use it, and the warranty guarantee, it's a pretty drat good good stopgap till the next generation of sleeping pads.

If you want luxury, check out the Neoair Dream. It's basically like a mattress, but it weighs something like five pounds.
Thanks! Gonna see if I can try 'em at the local place.

Morbus posted:

Is this for backpacking or just camping (i.e. how important is the weight of the pad)? Also what are you using currently, to help set a baseline?

In general, your best bet is to get a high thickness air mattress, optionally backed by a foam pad. Most manufactuers (I'm most famliar with Thermarest and Exped_ will have both backpacking oriented but still thick air matresses (Exped Synmat Downmat comes to mind), and also heavier "comfort" oriented pads that don't have quite as good a thickness/weight ratio but are up to 5" thick.

If minimizing packweight is important, something like a Neoair Xtherm + Zlite foam pad is about as lofty as you can get while maintaining system weight of ~2 lbs. In the 2-4 lbs range, there are a lot of options like the Downmat + foam pad, or comfort oriented pads like the Thermarest LuxyryMap or Exped Megamat (although a lot of the comfort oriented pads have a much higher packed volume).

Mostly backpacking, but weight concerns are secondary to comfort (well, to a point).

Thanks folks, you've given me a lot to mull over.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Outlet currently has a $20 off $100+ deal going on today. This will also stack with the $20 gift card on $100+ purchases for REI members.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is really cool! I love my Garmin Fenix 3 HR watch for tracking hikes and mileage, so I'm sold on the utility having a real gps with mapping and guidance.

How much is the subscription service to send messages?

I'd love to hear more about this once you've used it for a bit. Do you have to have it paired for mapping proposes, or can you just upload maps to it to use without a cellphone?

E: just a side note on the Fenix 3, one of my hiking buddies has a full top of the line Garmin gps unit that's the same as the one he used for survey work with the national Park service, and the mileage/elevation tracking is drat near spot on with the Fenix 3 watch. For once having thought standalone gps units were obsolete tech, I'm really blown away by the utility of these devices.

Back! 115 km in 5 days, plus some odd 600m climbs to rock exposures for geological purposes. I'll post some pics when I get time to process them. Get ZDR to unarchive the Canadian Rocky thread in the meantime.

I got the mini because I already have one of the map Garmin units and don't need that functionality, but you can have it with a paired cell phone. To be able to text, track the trip via facebook and twitter this little thing is a gem! Costs (in CND) are $29 annual activation fee, plus a monthly tiered fee system that you can suspend when not in use. You get 5 free texts per month on the basic plan, something for $25, 40 texts for $45, unlimited texts for $75 (the Expedition plan, which I picked), then an all bells and whistles plan for like $100 that probably includes the premium weather functionality. I used it to tweet our progress, let the party check in daily with loved ones, and dialogue with Parks Canada re: our plans (since we were under permit) and trail conditions (like the two large trees that fell over various trails over a 24 hour period--be real careful, its dangerous out there).

Saw beautiful scenery, some cool animals (a martin booting by me a few feet away while I was filtering water was a highlight), and some wolf kill sites. Also plenty of wild flowers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A question:

Does anyone here have or use what might be called a "camping utility belt"?

Let me start at the beginning:

I just got back from camping up at Gualala River Redwood Park for my birthday, and gently caress me, if I wasn't running around most of the time trying to keep my family from killing themselves.

Let's be clear here: I love Gualala. I wouldn't change a drat thing about it. But between my being the only person in this region of the family that goes camping more than once a year, and dad's second wife inviting herself along at the last minute and just complaining about everything the entire drat time, and having to run back to my car and or backpack to grab X tool or Y thing so that they don't kill themselves, I started wishing I had something I could carry all that stuff around in.

Just as a taste of what I was up against: (sorry about being so image-heavy)

* No, Dad. Putting that log on the propane burner and heating it until it catches fire is NOT an efficient way to start a campfire. You will use up half of that 20-gallon tank just getting there.

* I cannot have been the only person to have brought a knife. Okay, my brother from your first marriage also did, what about the other four of you?

* Here is some galvanized wire and a multitool with which to fix your tent. Later, I will use these to also put together a scandanavian fire log from already-cut wood.

* How do you not even have a bottle opener. Here, my keys.

* Why are you roasting marshmallows on crappy little ten-inch bamboo skewers. Give me a few tree branches and five minutes. (I couldn't remember what this photo was. Then I remembered, a sea hawk did that riding the wind thing, just a foot away from me. Had I been quicker, I could have had a photo, but alas.)

* I have firesteel and cotton balls in vaseline, you do not need to borrow fire from the neighbors. (everything here is second-growth giants)

* Yes, I have used this tomahawk before. Before this weekend is over, you are going to be using it heavily as well. I guarantee this. (I was right.)

* If it will make you stop complaining, I have warmers. Hand, feet, and stick-on body, take your pick.

* If it were not for the fact that even I am using my cell phone for taking photos, I would question why you need to charge your phone. Regardless, you may plug into my battery.

I am not nearly self-confident to wear a fanny pack, so does anyone have suggestions for indulging my inner Batman and assembling a kind of camping utility belt instead? I mean, seriously, a utility belt. Something that can be buckled around my backpack when I'm not using it, but that I can pull off and put around my waist when I'm putting my backpack down. So I don't have to keep running back to my backpack or car every time my family tries to kill themselves. Minus the kitchen sponges and wooden blocks, but still.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A question:

Does anyone here have or use what might be called a "camping utility belt"?

Let me start at the beginning:

I just got back from camping up at Gualala River Redwood Park for my birthday, and gently caress me, if I wasn't running around most of the time trying to keep my family from killing themselves.

Let's be clear here: I love Gualala. I wouldn't change a drat thing about it. But between my being the only person in this region of the family that goes camping more than once a year, and dad's second wife inviting herself along at the last minute and just complaining about everything the entire drat time, and having to run back to my car and or backpack to grab X tool or Y thing so that they don't kill themselves, I started wishing I had something I could carry all that stuff around in.

Just as a taste of what I was up against: (sorry about being so image-heavy)

* No, Dad. Putting that log on the propane burner and heating it until it catches fire is NOT an efficient way to start a campfire. You will use up half of that 20-gallon tank just getting there.

* I cannot have been the only person to have brought a knife. Okay, my brother from your first marriage also did, what about the other four of you?

* Here is some galvanized wire and a multitool with which to fix your tent. Later, I will use these to also put together a scandanavian fire log from already-cut wood.

* How do you not even have a bottle opener. Here, my keys.

* Why are you roasting marshmallows on crappy little ten-inch bamboo skewers. Give me a few tree branches and five minutes. (I couldn't remember what this photo was. Then I remembered, a sea hawk did that riding the wind thing, just a foot away from me. Had I been quicker, I could have had a photo, but alas.)

* I have firesteel and cotton balls in vaseline, you do not need to borrow fire from the neighbors. (everything here is second-growth giants)

* Yes, I have used this tomahawk before. Before this weekend is over, you are going to be using it heavily as well. I guarantee this. (I was right.)

* If it will make you stop complaining, I have warmers. Hand, feet, and stick-on body, take your pick.

* If it were not for the fact that even I am using my cell phone for taking photos, I would question why you need to charge your phone. Regardless, you may plug into my battery.

I am not nearly self-confident to wear a fanny pack, so does anyone have suggestions for indulging my inner Batman and assembling a kind of camping utility belt instead? I mean, seriously, a utility belt. Something that can be buckled around my backpack when I'm not using it, but that I can pull off and put around my waist when I'm putting my backpack down. So I don't have to keep running back to my backpack or car every time my family tries to kill themselves. Minus the kitchen sponges and wooden blocks, but still.

You could try something like a Bastion belt, or smokejumper’s belt, then pick up some molle bags or EMT pouches to hang off it. I use one of the Bastion belts for fishing, keep my net and fly fishing bag carabiner’ed to it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not specifically designed for backpacking but any regular tool belt would probably do the trick

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-Pocket-Fabric-Handyman-Rig-HD793857/202311454

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually thinking about starting with a removable hipbelt from a backpack, with the padding and pockets, and then adding pockets from there. They're already padded, don't dangle, made for long-term wear, and don't care if you've got belt loops or not.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Battle belts are a military/tactical waist belt with Molle webbing for customization. Airsofters have adopted them as well so now you can find them cheap. Molle is a standard webbing pattern which you can buy all sorts of attachments for to customize your belt with whatever pouches you feel necessary. They usually do a pretty good job of distributing weight all around whereas a fanny pack might be front/rear loaded depending on where everything sits.

https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Battl...belt&th=1&psc=1

Fanny/lumbar packs are another option but you lose customization. Mountainsmith is the first company that comes to mind for traditional fanny packs if you're looking to go that route.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 24, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Klymit Static V2 and X-pillow on sale for $40 right now. It's the non-insulated model but you can pair it with a Z-Sol or another pad to get the R up if you're concerned about that.
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-Static-V2-Sleeping-Pad-with-X-Pillow.product.100292232.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Verman posted:

Battle belts are a military/tactical waist belt with Molle webbing for customization. Airsofters have adopted them as well so now you can find them cheap. Molle is a standard webbing pattern which you can buy all sorts of attachments for to customize your belt with whatever pouches you feel necessary. They usually do a pretty good job of distributing weight all around whereas a fanny pack might be front/rear loaded depending on where everything sits.

https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Battl...belt&th=1&psc=1

Are you sure? That thing looks like you have to thread your own belt through it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Are you sure? That thing looks like you have to thread your own belt through it.

For that one, yes you need your own belt. Other "battle belts" come with the belt but the whole point of molle/tactical gear nowadays is to make everything as customizable as possible. Also keep in mind that different sized people might require different sized belts or prefer one style of belt closure over the other. That was just the first/cheapest option I could find.

This one comes with the belt and seems a little smaller/lower profile while also being padded.

https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Pa...ttle+belt&psc=1

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Does anyone have an opinion on the Granite Gear Crown/2 series vs Gregory Optic series?

I currently have a old (15+ years) Osprey and its time to move on. I'd like to try an "ultra lite" pack, but don't want to spend the ultra lite prices. We have trip to Isle Royal coming up in a few weeks so its time for me to take care of this.

I'm open to other options, but I've read good things about both of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Levitate posted:

I was actually wondering about that and if I get around to it want to do a little research. most of the stories I'm reading of the first recorded peak baggers etc in the Sierra seem to be when there weren't many native americans around there anymore (if ever, I honestly don't know their history of the Sierra very well).

Natives climbed many Andean peaks.

An ascent of Aconcagua seems likely. Remains of guanaco were found on the summit ridge, and what was it doing up there if it not driven by humans?