Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Like Chef's death, there was a stretch of South Park where they were getting really over the top and mean spirited with the violence and tone. In the early episodes, the violence was funny because it's so goofy and fake looking that it works. Sometime around 2006 ish they started doing graphic violence with detailed animation to where you see skull fragments and poo poo and often in a much more mean spirited tone. I hate the Imaginationland trilogy because it's a bunch of that. They've backed off on that quite a bit over the last 5 or 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All I know is I would be a lot happier if I had millions of dollars

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Given the celebrities most often associated with Scientology, it would not surprise me a bit if they offered to help image-damaging problems go away with their fearsome legal squad, and then subsequently blackmailed them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8N1SCreyM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

My girlfriend has a degree in psychology, and has done a bit of research on how Scientology ropes people in. Like most cults, they prey on people who are depressed, down on their luck, or otherwise in a lovely point in life, and offer them help and a place of belonging. Early on Scientology actually uses legitimately helpful therapeutic techniques, but they're kind of banking on their victims never going to see An Actual Therapist. Obviously this doesn't hold up forever, just long enough to get people hooked and committed for the next billion years. It's why psychology and therapy are so demonized within CoS, because then people would see they could get actual help without joining a cult.

I may be wrong about all that, but that's my understanding from how she tells it, anyways.

My dad was a psychiatrist and his summary of why scientologists hate psychiatry so much was "we're competing for the same market"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

My dad was a psychiatrist and his summary of why scientologists hate psychiatry so much was "we're competing for the same market"

It's one of the many many sad things about Scientology. Tons of people tricked into it are just people who would benefit greatly from a little therapy, but never seek it out due to the stigma around it being for crazies. Then they join the CoS and :rip:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

There's a shot of Marge dancing that's been turned into a meme called "Krumping Marge," which I thought was just a silly still taken out of context. TIL Marge literally Krumped in an episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5rduNCjM4

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There's a shot of Marge dancing that's been turned into a meme called "Krumping Marge," which I thought was just a silly still taken out of context. TIL Marge literally Krumped in an episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5rduNCjM4

They didn't even make a joke, they just did a thing.

So many labouring, Korean child wrists torn to bloody shreds, for this?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
She wasn't even infraggable

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like The Simpsons more now that have more contemporary pop culture references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlRV6yxZUSQ

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I knew I shouldn't click that. And even though I've skipped through it before, my arteries still bursted simultaneously.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Olaf The Stout posted:

Given the celebrities most often associated with Scientology, it would not surprise me a bit if they offered to help image-damaging problems go away with their fearsome legal squad, and then subsequently blackmailed them.

Blackmail and sunk cost fallacy are probably 90% of why people stay in scientology

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big part of Scientology is "auditing" where you spend time with a person telling them all your faults. Which they in turn write down in a book which they keep forever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I made it 40 seconds this time

there is nothing redeemable about this, at all

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

A big part of Scientology is "auditing" where you spend time with a person telling them all your faults. Which they in turn write down in a book which they keep forever.

psychologists do this too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Code Jockey posted:

I made it 40 seconds this time

there is nothing redeemable about this, at all

look at the likes ratio

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ein cooler Typ posted:

As someone who has seen Kesha live twice, do not watch this video.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ein cooler Typ posted:

psychologists do this too

Yeah but they are legally required not to tell or show anyone unless you present as a danger to yourself or others. Scientologist are under absolutely no such ethical standards.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

lol that's just embarrassing

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Like Chef's death, there was a stretch of South Park where they were getting really over the top and mean spirited with the violence and tone. In the early episodes, the violence was funny because it's so goofy and fake looking that it works. Sometime around 2006 ish they started doing graphic violence with detailed animation to where you see skull fragments and poo poo and often in a much more mean spirited tone. I hate the Imaginationland trilogy because it's a bunch of that. They've backed off on that quite a bit over the last 5 or 6 years.

Yeah, that's about when I stopped watching regularly. It was more disturbing to me than funny.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Man, watching that it's so outdated feeling how casually they treat the idea of a teacher drinking at school, and a bus driver being high as gently caress while driving a bus.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
im not watching that vid but ottos pretty much high all the time and krabappel probably should be drinking on the job if they're aiming for realism

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That clip has the laziest style of "literalize the song lyric jokes" that I haven't seen since Newgrounds.

"The lyric here is 'boys blowing up my phone' so let's show the bullies literally blowing up payphones"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

WampaLord posted:

That clip has the laziest style of "literalize the song lyric jokes" that I haven't seen since Newgrounds.

"The lyric here is 'boys blowing up my phone' so let's show the bullies literally blowing up payphones"

ughh

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Araenna posted:

Man, watching that it's so outdated feeling
Not least because it's a lip-dub

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

not sure why y'all are talking about scientology but you should watch going clear if you haven't. it almost makes you feel kinda bad for john travolta

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Will you nerds shut up about loving scientology please

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

This is Brown Bunny levels of dicksucking on screen

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Wow, Elon Musk. That was a flavour of the month that went bad fast..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah remember when they had Julian Assange

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

QwertySanchez posted:

Wow, Elon Musk. That was a flavour of the month that went bad fast..

I remember watching that episode live (I was drunk) and the whole time I was thinking "what the gently caress? Who is this and why do I care?"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember watching that episode live (I was drunk) and the whole time I was thinking "what the gently caress? Who is this and why do I care?"

Very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Iron Crowned posted:

Sorry to dox you

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpZCaPs1q6w

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

Very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

I can still remember this line slaying me the first time I heard it

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They should bring back Angry Dad one more time. But now he's a virtual Youtuber/Twitch streamer who eats a ton and plays games at the same time, while doing the Coricidin challenge. The audience won't be able to tell if it's meant to be funny or ironic or what. But it'll fit perfectly with the current Simpsons brand. The B plot could be that Lisa accidentally eats chicken broth that was mislabeled on the can.

Still waiting on that writer contract, Fox.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When Paul McCartney finally dies they should have Lisa start eating meat again.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

super sweet best pal posted:

When Paul McCartney finally dies they should have Lisa start eating meat again.

Or also dying

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder who the first big voice actor to die will be and what they will do when it happens

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Streak posted:

i wonder who the first big voice actor to die will be and what they will do when it happens
I thought Marge's VA was oldest, followed by Shearer and Castellanetta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

I thought Marge's VA was oldest, followed by Shearer and Castellanetta?

er im pretty sure its granpa simpson there champ lol