Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/bethesda-is-less-likely-to-let-an-outside-studio-m/1100-6460518/

Goodbye forever, West Coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

this just means zenimax will eventually buy up obsidian to become bethesda irvine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Avellone's issues with Obsidians upper management will be vindicated. That being said if Obsidian moved into a role not dissimilar to Machine Games or Id Software I wouldn't be too upset. EA's murder acquisitions always make me wary of independent developers I enjoy getting rounded up by large publishers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arcsquad12 posted:

EA's murder acquisitions always make me wary of independent developers I enjoy getting rounded up by large publishers.

I'm willing to risk it on behalf of the entire world if we get another shot at a New Vegas-type Fallout game in the future, rather than the alternative outcome of T.Howard's statement (that of Bethesda birthing Fallout installments that increasingly play like not-RPGs with stories written by retards). I feel this is a very brave stance to take, but I am steadfast in my position.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i know that BGS has unusually high retention rates for devs but not really sure about other zenimax studios like id or whoever make the dishonored games. Zenimax Online Studios had huge reductions after its initial flop release but that is also MMOs and seems to have stopped since the game took off (though the team is probably still too small)

meanwhile i think the only people left at bioware proper are like two writers no one likes anyways by this point

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zenimax or paradox will be the ones to buy up Obsidian, I could see Paradox doing it first tbh, after they bought up HBS - The other guys doing old school CRPGs/TT adaptions. Zenimax would mean more fallouts... Maybe even an isometric one series... Paradox would mean more Pillars and maybe new IPs for crpgs. I'd be happy with either outcome.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wolfsheim posted:

I always took it more as the courier traveled to and from so many podunk settlements all across the wasteland (at least the length of California to Montana, if you assume Lady Killer is canon) that Hopeville was just such a completely random town that he didn't even really think about it or notice when it started to develop into a community.

It would be like in Fallout 4 if some guy was watching the PC build one of those absurdly detailed settlement cities over the course of 100 hours and then when the PC fucks up and kills himself with his own shock trap or whatever the guy goes crazy and confronts the provisioner screaming "YOU DID THIS" because the provisioner was the one delivering all the adhesive.

I think the issue with that is that the attributes of the town seem likely to make it memorable; it’s the only town on one of only two roads to California, it’s a town which appeared on the road in the courier’s lifetime, it flies the American flag, it has a military base, it gets destroyed in a massive catastrophe.

It’s not unusual that the courier forgets the specifics of the town, but it seems far-fetched that the courier forgets there was any town in the divide, period. Forgets the road existed, period. If you’re a courier who travels far and wide, some random Podunk town might not mean much of anything to you, but knowing where places and people are, and how to get there, is literally your entire job.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Joke is on them. Fallout 76 will probably be the last Fallout. Like GTA 5 Online is the last GTA. Or Elder Scroll Online is the last Elder Scroll. Or Steam is the last Valve product.

The moment a company have a montly stream of income. They have much less interest into making products.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have no interest in making YOUR products

Also let Obsidian's Fallout legacy end on a high note. 1, 2 & Vegas will always have a special place in people's hearts no matter how far off the rails the series goes, I hope they can start a new legacy with a different series

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

everyone is already complaining that pillars of eternity 2 is full of plot holes and lore inconsistencies so we're off to a good start

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Reveilled posted:

I think the issue with that is that the attributes of the town seem likely to make it memorable; it’s the only town on one of only two roads to California, it’s a town which appeared on the road in the courier’s lifetime, it flies the American flag, it has a military base, it gets destroyed in a massive catastrophe.

It’s not unusual that the courier forgets the specifics of the town, but it seems far-fetched that the courier forgets there was any town in the divide, period. Forgets the road existed, period. If you’re a courier who travels far and wide, some random Podunk town might not mean much of anything to you, but knowing where places and people are, and how to get there, is literally your entire job.

It's just my interpretation, but I figured that the destruction in the Divide covered a much, much greater area than the unnamed town the courier would deliver packages to, so much so that you're not even in the general area of the town anymore, which is why the courier is a bit confused on a town ever being there in the first place.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Berke Negri posted:

everyone is already complaining that pillars of eternity 2 is full of plot holes and lore inconsistencies so we're off to a good start

People need to understand that a lot of the talent at Obsidian that made New Vegas possible is long gone :negative:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Wasn't the whole point of the Courier character that they don't remember anything prior to getting shot in the head by Benny? Doesn't Doc Mitchell have a line about the Courier only thinking their name is whatever the player enters because it is likely they've forgotten their real name from the nearly fatal brain damage? It's been a few years since I've started a new character in NV.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Not really, POE2 is very well written and acknowledged as such.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
"The Divide (post-war state) never existed" was a take designed to drive me insane alongside "Fallout 4 is a masterpiece", like wth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tei posted:

Joke is on them. Fallout 76 will probably be the last Fallout. Like GTA 5 Online is the last GTA. Or Elder Scroll Online is the last Elder Scroll. Or Steam is the last Valve product.

The moment a company have a montly stream of income. They have much less interest into making products.

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced at E3

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the Courier character that they don't remember anything prior to getting shot in the head by Benny? Doesn't Doc Mitchell have a line about the Courier only thinking their name is whatever the player enters because it is likely they've forgotten their real name from the nearly fatal brain damage? It's been a few years since I've started a new character in NV.

No, you explicitly do not have any form of amnesia. Doc Mitchell's only comment on your name is a "well, that's not what I would've named you" for the sake of conversation.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced at E3

And Valve have released some games, not Zero games. But my point is that once they have a stream of income that is monthly, a product seems a risky and not very profitable proposition. So they put every product on the slow track and change the company to a service provider instead of a product provider.

Is not even a absolute... a random company can visit this, then survive and go back to release games in a timely fashion, but most not. Fallou 76 can kill the Fallout serie, and that is very real, imo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell, you discuss your medical history with Doc Mitchell right in the intro. There's nothing stopping you from playing an amnesiac, but if it was the author's intent there'd probably be more stuff about your past in the plot

Back Hack posted:

Not really, POE2 is very well written and acknowledged as such.
I don't know about well written, but it doesn't really have any plot holes or lore inconsistencies

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tei posted:

And Valve have released some games, not Zero games. But my point is that once they have a stream of income that is monthly, a product seems a risky and not very profitable proposition. So they put every product on the slow track and change the company to a service provider instead of a product provider.

Is not even a absolute... a random company can visit this, then survive and go back to release games in a timely fashion, but most not. Fallou 76 can kill the Fallout serie, and that is very real, imo.

If Tactics and Brotherhood didn't kill the franchise then Fallout 76 certainly won't.

Plus as we all know, Bethesda could take a poo poo on a plate and people would be rushing to pre-order it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

No Legion is to kill a courier.

If only that sentiment actually carried over to gameplay...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Berke Negri posted:

This is a proper fantasy world building though. :confused:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vinylshadow posted:

If only that sentiment actually carried over to gameplay...

They don't really try to murder you til you murder them tho

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Azhais posted:

They don't really try to murder you til you murder them tho

Well, they also start trying to kill you if you free their slaves, that's how I first got put on their shitlist.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I have a tendency to always play 'the Nice Guy' in every RPG I play, even when I set out to be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat I'll eventually tire of the gimmic and give up, so when you come across the Legion it's hard not to see them cast as evil and immediately shoot them.

It also doesn't help that the first time you meet the Legion is in Nipton. But in all fairness Vulpes Inculta did tell me to "do something about it" if I didn't like what had happened. Should watch what you say, Vulpes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I have a tendency to always play 'the Nice Guy' in every RPG I play, even when I set out to be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat I'll eventually tire of the gimmic and give up, so when you come across the Legion it's hard not to see them cast as evil and immediately shoot them.

It also doesn't help that the first time you meet the Legion is in Nipton. But in all fairness Vulpes Inculta did tell me to "do something about it" if I didn't like what had happened. Should watch what you say, Vulpes.

Look, you dare a guy to attack you and then turn your back on him? Everything that happens next is your fault. :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In fairness, you're not an active duty Courier by the time you start your vengeance quest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

In fairness, you're not an active duty Courier by the time you start your vengeance quest.

Also the Legion doesn't try to kill you until you intentionally do stuff to make them hostile. If you don't start killing them or actively helping the NCR against them, you're totally safe around them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Lol i spent most of my "Legion playthrough" fighting them, it's just too rewarding

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

2house2fly posted:

Lol i spent most of my "Legion playthrough" fighting them, it's just too rewarding

Their gear sells for SO MUCH, it's like the game wants you to murder them!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wanting to murder the legion is just the natural state of things, so no surprise there.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

2house2fly posted:

I don't know about well written, but it doesn't really have any plot holes or lore inconsistencies

oh I don't think either, I do know some people had issues with the ending or the faction choices, like a week after the game came out there was a lot of griping about holes, retcons, hamfisted shoe and horning etc

never going to please everyone

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Judge Tesla posted:

If Tactics and Brotherhood didn't kill the franchise then Fallout 76 certainly won't.

Plus as we all know, Bethesda could take a poo poo on a plate and people would be rushing to pre-order it.

Depends. What kind of goodies do I get when I pre-order? Can I get a replica poo poo? Maybe a little cartoon guy of the plate? What's in the super mega online only edition? In this case, I'd probably just wait for the poo poo to come out and see what the reviews are. Even if they aren't that great, I'd probably buy it during one of the Steam sales. I mean, I enjoyed most of the other Bethesda games, I'd probably like this poo poo on a plate too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's the easiest way to get a shitload of ballistic fists and sunglasses too. :v:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
The Legion is such an uninteresting faction. All the other factions have interesting motivations, politics, cliches and subgroups. The Legion begins and ends with Caesar which wouldn't be a bad thing if Caesar was compelling in any way. He is a lot like House if you removed all the interesting parts.

They also went way too deep into the creepy uncomfortably evil angle. House is evil but he has the whole Disney but into gambling and robots instead of cartoons and robots. The way Caesar runs the Legion makes him come off like an unwashed mouth breather. Think about it, he forced everyone to cosplay his favorite characters from a book he read, makes women into literal property, has everyone worship him like god's gift to the world, thinks he sees a truth everyone else is blind to, thinks of himself as a nice guy and he is absolutely terrified of being called out for being a total fraud. All he needs is a fedora.

Edit: typo

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 21, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The Legion is such an uninteresting faction. All the other factions have interesting motivations, politics, cliches and subgroups. The Legion begins and ends with Caesar which wouldn't be a bad thing if Caesar was compelling in any way. He is a lot like House if you removed all the interesting parts.

Thye also went way too deep into the creepy uncomfortably evil angle. House is evil but he has the whole Disney but into gambling and robots instead of cartoons and robots. The way Caesar runs the Legion makes you come off like an unwashed mouth breather. Think about it, he forced everyone to cosplay his favorite characters from a book he read, makes women into literal property, has everyone worship him like god's gift to the world, thinks he sees a truth everyone else is blind to, thinks of himself as a nice guy and he is absolutely terrified of being called out for being a total fraud. All he needs is a fedora.

I suppose you could always reverse-pickpocket one onto him...

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The thing about the Legion is that there could be a case to be made that a brutal military dictatorship, while unacceptable by our modern standards, might work in a post-apocalyptic exploded hellworld where everyone and everything is trying to kill you--they try to make the point with the idea that the legion lands are the safest and most orderly among all the factions. However, that's all undercut by the fact that rape-slavery is apparently one of the central pillars of their society. They're effective villains because they're brutal and terrifying, but they ended up being kind of one-dimensional. Like, just remove the rape-slavery thing and there's at least a conversation to be had (though they would still end up being the worst choice even then)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sheen Sheen posted:

The thing about the Legion is that there could be a case to be made that a brutal military dictatorship, while unacceptable by our modern standards, might work in a post-apocalyptic exploded hellworld where everyone and everything is trying to kill you--they try to make the point with the idea that the legion lands are the safest and most orderly among all the factions. However, that's all undercut by the fact that rape-slavery is apparently one of the central pillars of their society. They're effective villains because they're brutal and terrifying, but they ended up being kind of one-dimensional. Like, just remove the rape-slavery thing and there's at least a conversation to be had (though they would still end up being the worst choice even then)

It's even more undercut by it being centuries later when societies have already re-established themselves. The timeframes in Fallout have always been nonsensical though. They'd be more interesting and less clear cut if they dialed down the rapeslaves and were there like fifty years after the bombs, where the only real other options are raiders or strongmen, and in New Vegas the Legion is falling apart as the times have changed. Keep Caesar being the one thing holding them together even.

They're really fun to shoot in NV as they are anyway. Raiding the fort is always fun for a combat oriented character.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 20, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sheen Sheen posted:

Really the rape slavery thing was completely unnecessary. They could have just stopped with the Vulpes might makes right speech. Instead they kept doing the whole "in case you forgot they're evil have another evil thing they do!" crap. Like we get it they're evil now can you make them do anything other than puppy kicking? No? Alright I'm just going to murder them in every play through and never do their quests, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, immediately post-war it could be a situation like Negan in TWD: an extremely brutal leader who demands ever-increasing amounts of tribute and summarily executes random people to teach a lesson because the apocalypse is still within living memory and it’s one of the best ways to force people to work together.