Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I really don't understand what's the point of putting together these crappy shows and then dropping them all on the air like a bag full of rotting fish. Surely they don't expect this to get views?

I swear I first heard about this show years ago. I'm guessing it's a case of a show that originally sounded like a good idea when they signed the contracts, then it turns out to be hot garbage when it comes out the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't think it looks terrible. I mean it's certainly not very good, but it could definitely be worse. The Robot Masters look pretty good though imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So Butch Hartman is the new Doug TenNapel (unfortunately the video in the original tweet was removed)

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1019818268306083840
https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1019818269493157888
https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1019820633444749312

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I was at the Star/Big City Greens panel at SDCC, and they showed a surprise preview of Amphibia! Music was rad, animation was rad, show looks rad.

e: Also had the chance to talk to Matt Braley after the panel, dude seems really nice and I hope the show's a big success.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arist posted:

those filthy canadians, offloading their garbage television onto our pure american airwaves

This but unironically.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:captainpop:

Butch Hartman needs to get buried double time please.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This is the Fairly Oddparents / Danny Phantom guy, right? Those had Jesus in them?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As I recall, Fairly Oddparents in its prime was one of the more dark and cynical kids' cartoons of its day. Basically every character was stupid, incredibly selfish, or both, including the protagonist. I'm not seeing the Jesus in that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Butch Hartman has been coasting for a few years now on I MADE YOUR CHILDHOOD when really only two shows he made were of any note.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

This is the Fairly Oddparents / Danny Phantom guy, right? Those had Jesus in them?
I mean I guess they conformed the afterlife and Higher Powers but gently caress if FO wasnt all kinds of terrible for rewarding Timmy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So that's what he meant by "family values." It's not really that surprising from what little I previously heard about Oaxis. It sounded like your standard old man angry at how scary the present day was and trying to shield kids from reality, as well as all your standard misapprehensions about how everything was better back in the day.

Only new thing I see in particular are some extra egregious examples of being an old man thinking kids these days are terrible and the whole evangelizing bit.

Doesn't seem exactly career-destroying, but it certainly very revealing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It IS funny that he was trying to sell a family-friendly streaming network to his fanbase when most of them are either teenagers or millennials who don't have kids. But this explains it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guess what's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7WyhWZkzk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hope Dee Bradley Baker is paid well for playing half the roles.

Clone Wars was a good show, but I'm not sure how exactly they plan on extending it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It sounds like this is gonna be a Samurai Jack scenario, where it's a single season to provide the show with a proper conclusion.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Snips, we're home."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I've never been huge into Star Wars, but don't we know where this is going? I don't even mean in the "we all know Anakin's going to turn into Vader" way, I mean didn't that Rebels show from just recently wrap up any holes in Clone Wars' story/timeline?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah, but the money

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Give Genndy money so he can hire someone to make a HD update of the miniseries.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

So I've never been huge into Star Wars, but don't we know where this is going? I don't even mean in the "we all know Anakin's going to turn into Vader" way, I mean didn't that Rebels show from just recently wrap up any holes in Clone Wars' story/timeline?

Mandalore is kind of still invaded and no one knows how it got out of all that.

Plus there were other episode arcs that got cancelled despite being scripted storyboarded and even partially recorded.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think all Rebels touched on was the clones and Ahsoka.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Butch Hartman video is back up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dtoEuw_dWI

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Arist posted:

those filthy canadians, offloading their garbage television onto our pure american airwaves

Ed Edd n Eddy came at a steep price

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fuuuuuuuck, I can't watch Fairly Oddparents anymore now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fuuuuuuuck, I can't watch Fairly Oddparents anymore now.

Why would you? It hasn't been good since at least the early '00s. (It still blows my mind that both FOP and Spongebob are still on the air)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I like Spongebob, though I haven't kept up on it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Butch Hartman pissed off a bunch of tumblr people for suggesting that drawing nothing but anime was going to limit your growth as an artist and now they're trying to get back at him and get him fired for making basic Fred Rogers-style statements about Christianity and how important it is to nurture and protect children while still respecting their strength as individuals. For anyone who isn't a hysterical internet atheist this is absolutely mundane poo poo and y'all need jesus.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TwoPair posted:

Why would you? It hasn't been good since at least the early '00s. (It still blows my mind that both FOP and Spongebob are still on the air)

FOP ended last year

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

FOP ended last year

Wow, my mind's even more blown. After about the time the 3rd loving live action movie came out I figured they'd keep making it until I had kids of my own to watch it.

Guy Mann posted:

Butch Hartman pissed off a bunch of tumblr people for suggesting that drawing nothing but anime was going to limit your growth as an artist and now they're trying to get back at him and get him fired for making basic Fred Rogers-style statements about Christianity and how important it is to nurture and protect children while still respecting their strength as individuals. For anyone who isn't a hysterical internet atheist this is absolutely mundane poo poo and y'all need jesus.

Yeah I was gonna say I made it like 15 minutes into that video and other than being a bit of a Jesus freak it doesn't seem like he's being terribly controversial

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

jesus was the most important part of danny phantom the whole time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I think all Rebels touched on was the clones and Ahsoka.

If I had a guess, likely the movie thing will be something of a bridge between The Clone Wars and Rebels.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I watched the Fred Rogers documentary today, actually. It's pretty good and was a nice thing to watch after seeing almost every episode of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

That being said, Fred never pushed his religion on anyone and I think that's exactly what Butch is doing. From what I've seen around, people feel betrayed as he's using his new "network" to push his religion upon children and not allowing them to think for themselves. Fred Rogers explicitly never wanted to do this and wanted to treat children with more respect than "Here, this religion will help you"...despite actually being a minister himself.

I don't think it's fair to say that Butch is being like Fred at all. Sure, he wants people to be more mindful of children and their feelings, which I agree with. But that's where any comparisons probably should stop. Butch seems to be pushing religion now because he doesn't understand what else to do. Fred pushed "hey, don't treat your kids like they're stupid. Tell them how the world is but keep it nice and simple...and don't show children violent things because you don't know what else to do". I don't think Fred would like FOP at all with how much of a little poo poo Timmy Turner has always been and how he always gets his way.

My problem with Butch is that he thinks he's the second coming of Christ to everyone's childhood. He's not and his shows were actually what pushed me away from Nick with being such garbage animation in the first place.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 20, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Danny Phantom was pretty good in its time (being basically Ghostbusters meets Spider-man, though less New York-centric than that implies. Actually, that could be a kickass crossover) but hasn't aged well, and Fairly Odd Parents was kind of a more fantasy-oriented G-rated Family Guy.

...probably couldn't get the rights, but a Danny Phantom crossover with the Ghostbusters would have been pretty great. Have Danny's parents be massive fans of the original long-retired Ghostbusters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Danny Phantom became a minister, would that make him the Holy Ghost? :v:

also it would have been funny for Skulker to wake up one day only to find Danny sleeping on the floor at the foot of his bed. "What are you doing, Whelp?" "Making a point. I'd clash terribly with your decor."

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

This might be a controversial statement, but I think if you're going to raise $250,000 on Kickstarter for a Christian family channel you should mention at some point in your Kickstarter pitch that it's Christian, not carefully tapdance around mentioning it and then let that little detail slip after you've collected the money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

This might be a controversial statement, but I think if you're going to raise $250,000 on Kickstarter for a Christian family channel you should mention at some point in your Kickstarter pitch that it's Christian, not carefully tapdance around mentioning it and then let that little detail slip after you've collected the money.

It's an oddly common thing these days, presenting something innocuous as a 'family-friendly' or even feminist substitute for what's seen as mean and oppressive media, then casually dropping that it's Christian once the hook is in. (Hell, Insane Clown Posse apparently did something like that) They know their brand is otherwise toxic but don't know how or don't want to actually combat that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's obnoxious and his style is grating and dull and I can't remember a thing about Tuff Puppy aside from it being just a 60s spy show.

It could be just putting up extra talk for investors, or it could be that he's genuine, maybe gone extra-christian in his old age, that happens a lot. It's not like he's abusing a position of real authority, he's slotting christianity into an entertainment product. Proselytizing can be annoying, but it's not some kind of huge offense.

But really, from his initial pitch of "family friendly network to protect your children from questionable content (especially horror)" what you you really expect?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

Mandalore is kind of still invaded and no one knows how it got out of all that.

Plus there were other episode arcs that got cancelled despite being scripted storyboarded and even partially recorded.

Yeah we have a bunch of partially completed Story Episodes with full voice acting still. Along with a bunch of other incomplete episodes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

:laffo: making basic Fred Rogers-style statements about Christianity and how important it is to nurture and protect children while still respecting their strength as individuals. :laffo:

Yeah nah this is bullshit duder and not gonna let this slip past, this is only "mundane" through a super warped skew, Fred Rogers never talked about THE DAAARKNESS IN HOLLYWOOD (Thinly veiled reference to those queers and libruls I almost guarantee you) or any of this evangelist crap, I don't know how people can miss all the dogwhistles in his stupid presentation, because they're nearly constant if you know how fundies compose themselves.

"American culture was strong, people loved their country and they inherently knew what was right and wrong." sounds like something right out of the pissbeast's playbook, appeal to 'the good ole days' where everyone was complacent and under our thumb and the undesirables weeded themselves out after enough abuse.

"But then the downward spiral happened. See the networks were controlled by the FCC because they were free, NBC, ABC, CBS it was free so they had to be government regulated, but then something happened. It was called cable." after which he starts groaning about HBO, Cinemax and similar putting edgier content on TV and so then regular TV followed suit and now it's all so tame in comparison. An appeal to "Remember when things only appealed to OUR sensibilities?" again.

"Questionable agendas that kids and families shouldn't be taking in." which again talk of 'agendas' is almost always a red flag coming from this kind of stuff, I felt like I was seconds away from hearing "perversion" and "degeneracy" considering.

"Kids have phones, what are they looking at, what are they seeing? Lonely people, what are they seeing?" some easy technology blaming which is another favorite of this crowd, because it's not like access to information, supportive peers, tailored entertainment and so on for disaffected people does them any favors, we gotta be their only option.

"Kids today, they have no purpose, there's depression, there's suicide, constant exposure to corrupt social media and entertainment is a primary contributor to this crisis. I know kids who have committed suicide, when I grew up kids had a hard time, they got through it, suicide was never even thought about. Where's that coming from? Influence is the key word." which is genuinely sickening and spitting on the graves dead kids who couldn't take any more, he might as well have gone on a diatribe about them being weak and selfish like every know-nothing who drops their hot take on suicide, because you know back in my day those kids killed themselves off where nobody had to take notice or hear why they did it. Especially right now when we actually are facing a crisis of young people killing themselves, a lot of it because of bigotry from fundies and right wingers, this is a disgusting sentiment to push and about the furthest you could be from supportive or respectful to young people.

This is all from 11 minutes into the 23 minute video, comparing this shill to Mr Rogers is as dishonest as you can be.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My biggest beef with it is that he didn’t disclose the Christian focus in the Kickstarter. I don’t inherently mind people doing religious-oriented things as long as they’re up front about it, but the fact that he hid it is straight garbage.