Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

moosecow333 posted:

That honestly just reads like a poorly written twitter bot.

Maybe both the stories and the man didn’t happen.

Weird, I thought Russian bots were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/scarletwitchwc1/status/1019209625248370688?s=19

The worst part is like, it would be a pretty funny joke and would've still gone viral if she'd just claimed she came up with it, not a magical 13 year old familiar with music from 20-30 years ago, when her mother was a teenager.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

The worst part is like, it would be a pretty funny joke and would've still gone viral if she'd just claimed she came up with it, not a magical 13 year old familiar with music from 20-30 years ago, when her mother was a teenager.

It did go viral. The first time someone said that. And they didn't say their kid said it, either.

She's stealing someone else's musing and attributing it to her "13 yro daughter".

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Atmus posted:

It did go viral. The first time someone said that. And they didn't say their kid said it, either.

She's stealing someone else's musing and attributing it to her "13 yro daughter".

Her 13 yo daughter said it because she saw it during the first round of viralness. It is an oroborous of STDH.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Fucckkkkkk why does this have 200k likes

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CannonFodder posted:

At least Grandpa 420-69-1488 could just go by Grandpa Weed Sex Racist.

You found Weedlord Bonerhitler's social?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Captain Monkey posted:

This is such an old joke jesus christ.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Teachers telling stories about their ~wacky~ students are almost as tedious to read/listen to as parents gushing about their genius/woke toddlers. Even if that happened it's just theaterkid.txt where they mistake being random/weird as having a personality.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Fathis Munk posted:

This is such an old joke jesus christ.

I’m pretty sure that Macbeth insisting he is the hero of Macbeth should imply that he has read the play.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My teachers too were constantly updating their tumblr myspace during class whenever we said something funny. Also other teachers emailed them (also during class) for some reason because they’re psychic and know what happens in other classrooms. And having your students read through Macbeth in one go with various roles is clearly the most efficient way to teach literature, why do you ask?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

System Metternich posted:

And having your students read through Macbeth in one go with various roles is clearly the most efficient way to teach literature, why do you ask?

Because efficiency is what drives English teachers when planning lessons. :rolleyes:

This is the most believable part of that entire ridiculous post. My teacher had us read different parts like that when I was in high school. I remember doing the opening scene of Hamlet like that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

System Metternich posted:

And having your students read through Macbeth in one go with various roles is clearly the most efficient way to teach literature, why do you ask?

Pretty sure we did exactly that when I studied it.
Shakespeare really shouldn't be taught in English classes IMO. Save it for drama lessons and give the kids Sherlock Holmes to read instead.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/1019694426589974528

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

queserasera posted:

I'm guessing once upon a time there was a Starbucks barista who didn't take kindly to Mr Wohl's attentions.

Look, there are these things called telomeres...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You found Weedlord Bonerhitler's social?

Haha holy poo poo I didn't even plan that and it works perfectly

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think they should teach Romeo and Juliet because it's a story about impulsive teenagers from an impulsive teenage perspective

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think they should teach Romeo and Juliet because it's a story about impulsive teenagers from an impulsive teenage perspective

Romeo and Juliet being taught as a tragic love story is a travesty and we need a movement to start teaching it as a moral lesson about why teenagers are dumb af

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The_White_Crane posted:

Pretty sure we did exactly that when I studied it.
Shakespeare really shouldn't be taught in English classes IMO. Save it for drama lessons and give the kids Sherlock Holmes to read instead.

hahal what

Shakespeare is way way way more important to English than to Drama and that's without comparing it to 19th century Hardy Boys

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TheKennedys posted:

Romeo and Juliet being taught as a tragic love story is a travesty and we need a movement to start teaching it as a moral lesson about why teenagers are dumb af

Nah, it's more about how nothing bad that happens to teenagers is their fault, but the fault of sucky adults and/or cruel Fate

Like I said, it's an impulsive teenage perspective

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

kdrudy posted:

Look, there are these things called telomeres...

I just wanted to say I appreciated this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Garrand posted:

I just wanted to say I appreciated this.

idgi

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I can't find the original right now but there was some middle aged dude who had a blog and talked about how he kept hitting on this waitress until she eventually called the cops on him or something and had him kicked out.

He also wrote long screeds about how young women should want to gently caress him because, as an older man, he had longer telomeres and that would give her (or possibly children from him? I don't remember exactly what the nutball wrote) longer lifespans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Found him
https://twitter.com/conversationrag/status/814220210798403584/

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

yeeeeees

e: aw drat, the actual website is gone. But yeah that picture basically sums up what he posted about.

Ahahaha
https://twitter.com/conversationrag/status/783479815886151680
That loving hashtag

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Everyone, I should thank you for explaining to me about telomeres.

I should, but I won't because I was better off not knowing

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Disappointed this didn't end with "and today we're celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary" or whatever

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Everyone, I should thank you for explaining to me about telomeres.

I should, but I won't because I was better off not knowing

Yeah but you post on something awful. You know what you're getting in to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Because efficiency is what drives English teachers when planning lessons. :rolleyes:

This is the most believable part of that entire ridiculous post. My teacher had us read different parts like that when I was in high school. I remember doing the opening scene of Hamlet like that.

8th grade we did Romeo and Juliet alternating roles. Then once we hit 12 grade AP English we did Glass Menagerie with assigned roles. The guy who did the girl did his best Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the guy who was the male suitor put on a falsetto.

Edit: we did Othello the same way but nothing memorable sticks out from that one.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

What the gently caress is this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We did Romeo & Juliet that way, but nobody did any funny voices. It was just half-literate 15-year-olds droning through the dialogue in the most boring way possible.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DariusLikewise posted:

What the gently caress is this

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Póg mo thóin translates to kiss me arse, so the dude is describing a time he attempted to sexually assault a tourist

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Peanut Butler posted:

hahal what

Shakespeare is way way way more important to English than to Drama and that's without comparing it to 19th century Hardy Boys

OK but it sucks to read it, especially when you have no basic drama background. Most people I know have read Romeo and Juliet in HS, and maybe Hamlet and/or Macbeth, and they hated it. It doesn't help that a lot of the jokes etc. don't make sense unless explained to you because the language and idioms are so old. Spending 2 weeks on it in an English class is almost useless.

Ah, yes, because if a guy keeps bumping into me in a line, and then crouches down to actually kiss my rear end when I tell him to kiss my rear end, the fact he recognized what I had said in my native language will definitely make me find it funny instead of cementing that he was bumping into me on purpose for perverted reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I dunno, I can legit believe someone did this.

Some people don't care about burning bridges when they quit.

And while all the "millennials are ruining X" stuff is ridiculous, my mind has kinda been blown by how many people think internet stuff is work appropriate these days. I do a lot of shitposting but I keep that separate from my work, where I try to be professional. (to an extent) But man, a ton of the younger people I work with seem to think that emojis are the best choice of language for any and all occasions and printing out memes at work is like the funniest thing to do ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Have y'all been watching That Happened on the Joel McHale show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKdEwPHfnE

Great stuff

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dregan posted:

Póg mo thóin translates to kiss me arse, so the dude is describing a time he attempted to sexually assault a tourist
Also no Irish person abroad would use it as a genuine invective. "Go gently caress yourself" does just fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

hahal what

Shakespeare's texts aren't in English though, for any reasonable definition of English. A native speaker of English can't reliably read Shakespeare without help, for any reasonable definition of read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerry Cotton posted:

Shakespeare's texts aren't in English though, for any reasonable definition of English. A native speaker of English can't reliably read Shakespeare without help, for any reasonable definition of read.

Yes they are, you buffoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Zaphod42 posted:

Have y'all been watching That Happened on the Joel McHale show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKdEwPHfnE

Great stuff

Is that the god damned mclovin