Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanatosian posted:

Speaking of security products: one of our vendors is switching from their current FTP server to using Citrix Sharefile, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. We watched the traffic on our firewall, and the hostname gets DNS'd to an IP address... which then forwards to another IP address. A seemingly random IP address, not even within a range (I've seen both class A and class B addresses), most of which seem to be Amazon AWS addresses. Our firewall (understandably) takes issue with this. I talked to our vendor, who said "we've done this with plenty of financial institutions, none of them have a problem with it."

Is it me? Am I the crazy one here?

Most likely the second forward hop to AWS sends it to a load balancer. ELBs accessed will resolve to up to 8 IP addresses, depending on current load, exacerbated by the fact that member nodes handling the load balancing function drop in and out of an ELB pool all the time. So while there are up to 8 IP addresses assigned to an ELB, the eight IPs change frequently. And those IP addresses are not in the same range.

This drives people insane because it’s hard to whitelist (google “AWS ELB whitelist”). AWS provides a JSON document of their IP ranges that a consumer can download and apply to their firewalls, theoretically programmatically.

Your vendor is getting around this by giving you a static IP address that then redirects to AWS. So you only have to whitelist one IP and they handle the rest.

AWS has fixed this issue recently with the ability to assign one static IP address per ELB per region (I think its region).

Edit: per availability zone.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

As a matter of fact, they are, close enough. PM me and I’ll get them to you for free.

I messaged you

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've got a client that nags me on his tickets about twice a day. Things like "What's the progress on X?", "Have you done Y yet?", "What's the feedback on Z?" and on and on. It's a full time job managing this and I've got a hundred other things to do without a notification popping up every few hours "When can we launch X?"

I'm real close to just snapping back "I did not build your site. There is no documentation on how it works. The developer who made it won't give me details. Despite repeated requests I've still had 0 training on your site's framework. I have no idea what's wrong with your site. I have no idea how to fix it. Leave me alone."

The guy's probably just pissed his site isn't working, he feels like he's not getting any help and he doesn't know about the training and other stuff but it's really pushing me to my limit. Sales must be loving magical here because I know he's threatened to leave more than once (and I wouldn't blame him) but somehow we're still getting work on this poo poo.

Edit: What kind of CMS/eCommerce platform doesn't have any kind of event/error logging?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 20, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nexus6 posted:

I'm real close to just snapping back "I did not build your site. There is no documentation on how it works. The developer who made it won't give me details. Despite repeated requests I've still had 0 training on your site's framework. I have no idea what's wrong with your site. I have no idea how to fix it. Leave me alone."

There’s nothing wrong with that message at all. It’s just your phrasing that needs work.

“Dear Customer,

I am aware of the issues around your site and can appreciate how frustrating it is is have it not working at optimum performance. I am working on familiarizing myself with your architecture and code base which is taking longer than expected due to a lack of documentation and a lack of access to existing expertise with your system. When these issues are resolved I will be able to work with you to bring your site back to peak efficiency. I apologize for these delays. I understand if you would like to escalate to my manager whom you can contact at this address.”

Then tell your boss the situation and throw your roadblock developer guy under the bus.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Agrikk posted:

There’s nothing wrong with that message at all. It’s just your phrasing that needs work.

“Dear Customer,

I am aware of the issues around your site and can appreciate how frustrating it is is have it not working at optimum performance. I am working on familiarizing myself with your architecture and code base which is taking longer than expected due to a lack of documentation and a lack of access to existing expertise with your system. When these issues are resolved I will be able to work with you to bring your site back to peak efficiency. I apologize for these delays. I understand if you would like to escalate to my manager whom you can contact at this address.”

Then tell your boss the situation and throw your roadblock developer guy under the bus.

You are a loving wizard with words hahah.

I mean, I'm good at it to, but drat, this was great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Siochain posted:

You are a loving wizard with words hahah.

I mean, I'm good at it to, but drat, this was great.

It's a skill you develop over time being in a pressure cooker environment with Guided Blame Missiles flying everywhere or if you regularly communicate with executives that can squash you like a bug.

My boss never seemed to develop this skill since he rose through a different tech path than I did, so I find myself word-smithing some of his emails every now and then.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

“Dear Customer,

Depends where you work, at some places stating to a customer that you have no documentation and no knowledge of things would be frowned upon!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a skill you develop over time being in a pressure cooker environment with Guided Blame Missiles flying everywhere or if you regularly communicate with executives that can squash you like a bug.

My boss never seemed to develop this skill since he rose through a different tech path than I did, so I find myself word-smithing some of his emails every now and then.

Oh yeah, I mean, I've learnt the skill. Thankfully I'm somewhere I can ~mostly~ not need to. Mining industry doesn't have a lot of fluffy people - direct (but polite) works great.

At old jobs, I've had to use it. Firing customers at my old MSP was great.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

MF_James posted:

Depends where you work, at some places stating to a customer that you have no documentation and no knowledge of things would be frowned upon!

While true, it would be a big indicator to me that I needed to GTFO as soon as possible, unless that policy were backed up by some serious managerial support in getting the documentation or training I need.

There's only so much smoke that can be blown up a customer's rear end before they walk, and my job should be to solve issues, not blow smoke.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

MF_James posted:

In my opinion, clear truth is always better than obfuscation. The customer now knows the way it is, knows why things aren’t moving and then bitches to his boss, who knows the score already and then fires rockets down upon the blocking developer.

Lateral threats do diddley. Rockets from above move mountains.

But if you get punished for being honest with customers... well then there’s not much to do except bitch on dead gay forums and polish the knobresume.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Agrikk posted:

“Dear Customer,

Eat a dick (please).”

This is magical and pretty much how I've been communicating to bosses when they say "Why aren't you progressing X for the customer? What's going on?"

Agrikk posted:

well then there’s not much to do except bitch on dead gay forums and polish the knobresume.

Way ahead of you! The job hunt is slow though :smith:

My current plan is to see if I can move into a new position the company is currently openly advertising. If it turns out I can't, well I'll take that position at a different company instead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got a job in a big fancy museum and most people are chill and friendly. Except this one lady. Smashed a printer tray earlier this week. Just had someone come round me up because of an issue with another printer and they need pamphlets for the front desk. Cant fix it, come to find out Captain Insano was loving around with it and suplexing it or some poo poo too. I mean I dont care who you are or who you're not, that should be some real disciplining there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PremiumSupport posted:

While true, it would be a big indicator to me that I needed to GTFO as soon as possible, unless that policy were backed up by some serious managerial support in getting the documentation or training I need.

There's only so much smoke that can be blown up a customer's rear end before they walk, and my job should be to solve issues, not blow smoke.

I've worked at more than one managed hosting company where we were the ones who designed the system, but it was never documented(because the guy or team who did it was always more than happy to help), then said developer(s) left the company and I had to figure out how the gently caress things worked. Can't admit we don't know how it works because we designed and built it in the first place in that situation, yet not all of those companies were bad, one was actually insanely good.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

I've worked at more than one managed hosting company where we were the ones who designed the system, but it was never documented(because the guy or team who did it was always more than happy to help), then said developer(s) left the company and I had to figure out how the gently caress things worked. Can't admit we don't know how it works because we designed and built it in the first place in that situation, yet not all of those companies were bad, one was actually insanely good.

As a customer though in the above situation I would be seriously questioning your company's competence because they designed and built the thing. Especially if fixing issues suddenly starts taking a long time.

Now if my rep tells me that the developer left and you've since discovered that they left no documentation, it would go a long way to explaining what has changed and why the change resulted in longer service times. This is something I can bring to my boss, which gets him off both our backs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PremiumSupport posted:

As a customer though in the above situation I would be seriously questioning your company's competence because they designed and built the thing. Especially if fixing issues suddenly starts taking a long time.

Now if my rep tells me that the developer left and you've since discovered that they left no documentation, it would go a long way to explaining what has changed and why the change resulted in longer service times. This is something I can bring to my boss, which gets him off both our backs.

no argument there, but I have yet to meet a company that would admit to a thing like that to a customer

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MY EXCEL SOMETIMES CRASHES, AND I HAVE SPREADSHEETS WITH LITERALLY THOUSANDS(lol) OF LINES = I NEED 64-BIT OFFICE is a real lovely meme that needs to die.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's not really a meme when people create spreadsheets that exceed the row/column limit in 32-bit Excel, or when Excel crashes due to out of memory errors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

not all of those companies were bad, one was actually insanely good.

Nice

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

It's not really a meme when people create spreadsheets that exceed the row/column limit in 32-bit Excel, or when Excel crashes due to out of memory errors.

I really don’t get how people do that anyway.

Ask me about using 70+ megabyte Excel sheets.

Actually don’t, it’s too early to drink.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

company that gives unlimited pto, and completely pays for all your benefits(including copays and poo poo) is a good company in my book lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah I thought it was a reference to a company slogan and it turns out I got them confused

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ask me about using 70+ megabyte Excel sheets.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Get a goddamned database, gently caress

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a goddamned database, gently caress

Notice the files get bigger as time goes on?

THEY INCLUDE THE ENTIRE SERVICE HISTORY IN EACH FILE

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Notice the files get bigger as time goes on?

THEY INCLUDE THE ENTIRE SERVICE HISTORY IN EACH FILE
I'm the guy loving with the 2017 Q4 file in the beginning of 2018 Q2

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have two highly paid 'data anal-izer' positions that we created a year or two ago to 'crunch all of our data'

They just beef poo poo in excel because WE ONLY LIKE EXCEL instead of things like Python (numpy, pandas), R, or even a loving SQL database.

What kind of genius insight do they come up with after all this?

"Our highest selling item is ____, if we reduced our cost by $3 we would save customer _____ $250,000 a year. That would look good to our buyer."

But wait...aren't we making $250,000 less a year now?
"We shouldn't be trying to make the most money we can. We should try to look like the best supplier they have."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

"We shouldn't be trying to make the most money we can. We should try to look like the best supplier they have."

This only works if, by being the best supplier, they ultimately spend more money with you...

sigh

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
At least it's not Access

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

This only works if, by being the best supplier, they ultimately spend more money with you...

sigh

This customer uses two suppliers for everything. So you're never going to get more than say 60-70% of the business anyway.

The best part is they went for a second (and third) supplier in service. Those two just sub-contract it out to us, so we do 100% of the work anyway. We're so stupid we do it for the same cost so it just complicates our poo poo more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Charlotte Hornets posted:

At least it's not Access

Depending on how many people access those sheets, access may actually be better.

It gets a bad rap because people try to use it for more than it's capable of. Multiple concurrent users, multiple data streams...Access sucks at those.

Just putting a bunch of stuff in a database one thing at a time and accessed by one dude a few times a week? It'd probably be more performant than Excel.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

At least it's not Access

Access is at least designed to work with millions of records. If your choice is Access or Excel, Access is probably going to do a better job. Neither is the correct tool for anything that is going to be used for more than a month or so.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... laziness and not bothering to check other options...

We are in the middle of acquiring 2 existing branch locations. I have been doing the leg work of getting their services changed over to our name.

Finally got a chance to look more closely at their phone and internet services situation. For some reason I do not understand, they have a fully managed T1 line with managed router from ATT that is only used for 11 phone lines (which is 6 too many based on call/business volume). And terrible 10/1 UVerse DSL service for internet. Both locations are like this.

They are paying in excess of $600 per month per location for just phone service. And then another $100 for UVerse. And the phone service is not that great! I am told it goes out frequently.

Both locations are on the outskirts of a large metro area and have 4 (!!) providers to choose from, 2 of them being fiber. I just checked one of the fiber providers and they gave me a quote for $215/month for better service!

In short, AT&T can gently caress right off.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

stevewm posted:

In short, AT&T can gently caress right off.

I am convinced the trees in their support lines are as confusing as possible to dissuade people from calling. And no matter how positive you are that you followed the prompts correctly, you will always be told this department cannot help you, and they are more likely to give you a totally different number to call rather than just assist or transfer you to the right place.

I dread calling AT&T more than all the other ISPs combined, though FIOS business support being unavailable after 7pm always amuses me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I am convinced the trees in their support lines are as confusing as possible to dissuade people from calling. And no matter how positive you are that you followed the prompts correctly, you will always be told this department cannot help you, and they are more likely to give you a totally different number to call rather than just assist or transfer you to the right place.

I dread calling AT&T more than all the other ISPs combined, though FIOS business support being unavailable after 7pm always amuses me.

I've made 2 attempts to contact someone at AT&T to switch services into our name. I end up in endless transfer hell for an hour to ultimately end up with someone who promises to get the right people to call me back, but it never happens. This is when I realized there are more choices for service, so ATT can just suck it.

Already have a site survey scheduled next week for fiber to the building. And actual service installation likely the week after.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about customer satisfaction, making the phone tree as confusing as possible is a very valid cost savings measure.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

stevewm posted:

I've made 2 attempts to contact someone at AT&T to switch services into our name. I end up in endless transfer hell for an hour to ultimately end up with someone who promises to get the right people to call me back, but it never happens. This is when I realized there are more choices for service, so ATT can just suck it.

Already have a site survey scheduled next week for fiber to the building. And actual service installation likely the week after.

Yeah that is the standard AT&T experience. We could probably run a betting pool on how many times we get transferred before someone agrees they can help us.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlternateAccount posted:

MY EXCEL SOMETIMES CRASHES, AND I HAVE SPREADSHEETS WITH LITERALLY THOUSANDS(lol) OF LINES = I NEED 64-BIT OFFICE is a real lovely meme that needs to die.

Why are you insistent on using 32 bit Office? It's 2018.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about customer satisfaction, making the phone tree as confusing as possible is a very valid cost savings measure.

"Please hold. Your call is important to us"

"There are ..THREE.. hundred and ..TWENTY-FIVE.. callers in front of you"

"Please hold. Your call is important to us"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fishmech posted:

Why are you insistent on using 32 bit Office? It's 2018.

Lots of add-ins still don't work on anything other than 32-bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So the Sox are playing Detroit tonight