Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are in the process of considering building, and many of the covenants in acreages we're looking have restrictions of a minimum of 2500' square footage.

So instead of building a huge house around a tiny existing one like many people do to get past bylaws, do the opposite. Build a big shell with a tiny house inside and then knock down the shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leave the shell in place but make it totally retractable down into little hedges and fake out buildings.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

But, you know, smaller.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are in the process of considering building, and many of the covenants in acreages we're looking have restrictions of a minimum of 2500' square footage.

All I'm hearing is "1500' house, 1000' basement garage"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Brady Bunch house is for sale. Technically, it's the one they used for the exterior title shot. Fun fact which you probably knew: that iconic front window is not on the actual house -- it was a fake added on for the shot (and if you look closely enough at a Brady Bunch title still, you can even see the wires they used to hang the window.).

Nothing overtly horrible to find here (although it does have a bit of a time capsule element), but it is interesting to see the actual interior compared to the Brady Bunch sets.

Surprise: they're nothing alike. But we all knew that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The Brady Bunch house is for sale. Technically, it's the one they used for the exterior title shot. Fun fact which you probably knew: that iconic front window is not on the actual house -- it was a fake added on for the shot (and if you look closely enough at a Brady Bunch title still, you can even see the wires they used to hang the window.).

Nothing overtly horrible to find here (although it does have a bit of a time capsule element), but it is interesting to see the actual interior compared to the Brady Bunch sets.

Apparently the people who live in the house used for the exterior shots of the White house on Breaking Bad have had a hell of a time with gawkers and tour groups and randos showing up. I imagine that the passage of time fixes that but I’d personally never consider living in a house with that kind of publicity.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

I swear I am going to end up building, and confuse the gently caress out of a builder as to why I have a big rural property and want a 1200 square foot ranch put on it instead of a 3500 square mcRanchsion.

gently caress, man, I'm not even sure 3500 square feet constitutes a McMansion anymore. My c1925 house is something like 3000 square feet of finished space and it is absolutely dwarfed by the 2012 house we just went to for a kid's birthday party. It was maybe 50% bigger?

On formal dining and living rooms: I guess we have both, but we use the former fairly regularly with guests since our regular eating nook only seats four, and we use the latter more frequently than the room with the television because it's just a super comfortable room for lounging. The only underutilized spaces are the attic room (which desperately needs to be renovated) and my wife's office (because we moved a whole bunch of poo poo in there to clean out what became the kid's bedroom).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apparently the people who live in the house used for the exterior shots of the White house on Breaking Bad have had a hell of a time with gawkers and tour groups and randos showing up. I imagine that the passage of time fixes that but I’d personally never consider living in a house with that kind of publicity.

It's a common issue. The people that own the Halloween house have signs up asking people to stay off the porch and not to knock for "tours". Time will only fix so much as some shows/movies have a cult following that never seems to go away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Indoor ballgames court, set up a local youth sports club and collect fees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

All I'm hearing is "1500' house, 1000' basement garage"

Seriously though, if/when I build I'm seriously considering doing a bit that's "this is the part we live in" and a bit that's "this is the part our hobbies are in". The first part would be, like, living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom (repeat the last two as needed for size of family), the second part would be workshop, studio, greenhouse, garage, tool shed...anything else I'm forgetting?

Slap a mud room between the two bits, or have them actually be two separate structures.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(repeat the last two as needed for size of family)

So, one then?

Slap a mud room between the two bits, or have them actually be two separate structures.

Hazmat decontamination chamber

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Low blow, dude. :(

quote:

Hazmat decontamination chamber

Of course, I forgot the reactor, dangerous materials lab, and rocket test facility. :doh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We are goons, after all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Low blow, dude. :(

Of course, I forgot the reactor, dangerous materials lab, and rocket test facility. :doh:

Hey, I did know this guy. He was a total slacker way back when.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Mr. Nice! posted:

loving :lol: the developer who originally chopped up those parcels is a shrewd man. Are you restricted as to what builder you can use, too?

lol you know it, also it's 2500 FINISHED, LIVABLE square feet (a finished basement also does not count) and the builder just so happens to be the guy who is selling the lot! :iiam:

I don't think we're going to build there, ultimately.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Seriously though, if/when I build I'm seriously considering doing a bit that's "this is the part we live in" and a bit that's "this is the part our hobbies are in". The first part would be, like, living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom (repeat the last two as needed for size of family), the second part would be workshop, studio, greenhouse, garage, tool shed...anything else I'm forgetting?

Very much depends on what your hobbies are. If it's something that produces a ton of dust or noise or fumes, like woodworking or rebuilding cars, then it makes sense to keep it in an outbuilding. If it doesn't, like painting or sewing, it makes sense to keep it embedded in the living area so you don't have an extra psychological hurdle to using it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
And if you play the banjo, it should be in desolation, far removed from all human life.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And if you play the banjo, it should be in desolation, far removed from all human life.

Like Arkansas, or worse.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm on my phone right now, so just assume I posted the Achewood strip with Lie Bot playing the banjo in the garage while everyone else eats dinner

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol you know it, also it's 2500 FINISHED, LIVABLE square feet (a finished basement also does not count) and the builder just so happens to be the guy who is selling the lot! :iiam:

I don't think we're going to build there, ultimately.

Is there a way to lookup cc&r’s just based on a listing?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't think there are, unfortunately, which is a total loving scam because these shadow laws below the level of public legal scrutiny but still enforceable with bullshit like liens are highly obnoxious to my sensibilities.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's dated but not all that bad. And then I got to this:

I actually went "yargh" at my screen. Then I saw the booblightfan.

Why are there so many old houses with a god-awful pink bedroom?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is that an exhaust fan in the ceiling?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is that an exhaust fan in the ceiling?

Thing's can get pretty steamy in grandma's room. :quagmire:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

gently caress, man, I'm not even sure 3500 square feet constitutes a McMansion anymore. My c1925 house is something like 3000 square feet of finished space and it is absolutely dwarfed by the 2012 house we just went to for a kid's birthday party. It was maybe 50% bigger?

On formal dining and living rooms: I guess we have both, but we use the former fairly regularly with guests since our regular eating nook only seats four, and we use the latter more frequently than the room with the television because it's just a super comfortable room for lounging. The only underutilized spaces are the attic room (which desperately needs to be renovated) and my wife's office (because we moved a whole bunch of poo poo in there to clean out what became the kid's bedroom).

You can’t define McMansions by an absolute square footage. It’s more about being oversized for the area and for the lot. It also has to be architecturally disjointed and poorly built.

3,000 square feet barely registers as large here in suburban Utah, especially if you’re allowed to include basement space. You have to hit at least 4500 square feet to start getting into the really tacky McMansion stuff.

Speaking of how houses end up so stupidly big, one of the real problems is that new construction seems to make absolutely piss poor use of space. My grandparents’ 1950s tract home didn’t have a wasted inch. Whereas some of the new homes in my neighborhood have large (like 15’ by 15’) areas that can’t be used as anything other than an oversized hallway. It’s such a waste.

For me (family of four, kids are 13 and 11), our 1700 sq ft town house works, but I’d love to have about 2400 square feet so that I could have some space to myself. When we first got married our 800 sq ft apartment felt huge. Kids really change things.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 21, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There are also just regular mansions, large but actually nice houses around.

For everyone who missed it, Mcmansionhell made a very good chart on the subject of what is a mcmansion. 1 is a normal house, and 10 is a definite dollar-menu domicile.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 21, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have to take exception because the "tiny house" trend is also super stupid, just in a different way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

canyoneer posted:

I have to take exception because the "tiny house" trend is also super stupid, just in a different way.

It is stupid, but it's the opposite of a mcmansion. And it's probably like a $30,000 mistake. If you build it on a normal lot, later you still have the option to build a real house and turn the tiny house into a guest cottage, man cave, or shed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Property taxes here are calculated by the sqft of the ground floor, which encourages 2-story houses. Footage/taxes increase on 3rd story and up, which discourages some weirdness. The typical new build in cheapo Japan is around 1200-1300 sqft, and skinny 3-story homes in Tokyo are under 1000. Attics and basements and garages don't really happen here, either.

Our 4-bedroom house is 1400 sqft and very comfortable. Everyone is welcome to visit ^__^

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

peanut posted:

Property taxes here are calculated by the sqft of the ground floor, which encourages 2-story houses. Footage/taxes increase on 3rd story and up, which discourages some weirdness. The typical new build in cheapo Japan is around 1200-1300 sqft, and skinny 3-story homes in Tokyo are under 1000. Attics and basements and garages don't really happen here, either.

Our 4-bedroom house is 1400 sqft and very comfortable. Everyone is welcome to visit ^__^

Aren’t homes in Japan treated as kinda disposable and demolished every 10 or 12 years once some maintenance is required?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not 10 years lol. Apartments have mandatory maintenance laws for both interior and exterior maintenance.

Houses get torn town every generation or two, people live too long so the parents are still living in their house, and grown-up kids will take over grandma's house which is usually a shithole and rebuilding vs complete skeleton remodel is usually the same cost. Most "family homes" are inefficient mazes of additions and 90s remodels.
Gorgeous old houses get taken care of, but post-war boomer huts are garbage.
Come visit and see some old houses, and the 10-inch centipedes living next to the squatter toilet.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is stupid, but it's the opposite of a mcmansion. And it's probably like a $30,000 mistake. If you build it on a normal lot, later you still have the option to build a real house and turn the tiny house into a guest cottage, man cave, or shed.

It would be a $30,000 mistake, if it were built with the same standards and materials of a regular house, only scaled down. But they're not. Every tiny house I've seen has super luxe materials, custom "tiny" built-in furniture, and tons of trim and accessories. Somehow the idea of "What if house, but smaller?" has turned into a conspicuous bohemian consumption of "reclaimed" lumber and brand-new, "eco-efficient" appliances (please pay no attention to the carbon footprint of manufacturing these).

Plus they're all more or less disposable because the rich kids that live in these abandon them as soon as their girlfriend falls out of the lofted bed drunk, or their boyfriend takes a nasty dump in the "humanure" composting toilet. It's annoying to have to reassemble your entire living space every time you switch activities, sometimes it's nice to be able to leave a bed unmade. It's also nice to occasionally be able to live with someone without being in arms' reach literally all the time.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Also if you’ve ever met somebody with a tiny house they’re loving insufferable

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, I should have said that 1 is definitely-not-a-Mcmansion rather than normal. I did stay in a tiny house that was a guest cottage in Scotland, and that seemed like the perfect use for one. The separate structure gives some privacy but you don't lose a lot of your yard to it; in that vein it'd probably be a good idea for kids building a house on the corner of their parent's lot to live in. But it seems like most of the people who actually have a tiny house are either having an extreme reaction to having lived in a mcmansion and wanting something smaller, or would be better suited by an RV but don't think that's hip enough.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

there wolf posted:

There are also just regular mansions, large but actually nice houses around.

For everyone who missed it, Mcmansionhell made a very good chart on the subject of what is a mcmansion. 1 is a normal house, and 10 is a definite dollar-menu domicile.

quote:

the presence of a three or more car garage is a pretty good sign that you’re looking at a McMansion rather than a run-of-the-mill suburban tract house.

I'd probably agree with the "or more" part but nearly every run of the mill suburban tract house has a three car garage here. I've seen 1200 square foot ranches with 3 car garages (which is probably its own problem, but it isn't a mcmansion).

The thing I hate is they make the garages just large enough to technically fit three cars but absolutely nothing else. I'm sure we could actually get three cars in our garage but there wouldn't even be enough room leftover for the garbage/recycling bins and the lawn mower.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have a garage. It's too narrow the typical modern car... (UK, built in the 60s).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Also if you’ve ever met somebody with a tiny house they’re loving insufferable

Ive only known one couple that built a tiny house, but they were definitely insufferable. They would have also been better off with an RV or 5th wheel trailer, and the tiny house marked the start of the end of their marriage.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've only seen one tiny house I liked and it was a converted fifth-wheel and huge. If I was able to get away with it I might consider buying an old Airstream motorhome and renovating it into a tiny house like setup. It would be cheaper, nicer looking, and when I wanted to get rid of it, it would actually have resale value.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I tried to convince my parents to move into an 800 sqft single story two bedroom but they thought it was too small because they are boomers and wanted ‘more house for their money’.

Now I’ll have to drive 40 minutes to take care of them in their imminent old age instead of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently looking for a house that's at or under 1000sqft and they pretty much don't exist anymore. Everything that was that size has been expanded in some way so I've had to settle for probably getting one more bedroom that I need at the least.