Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm trying to keep all 8 at similar levels by rotating them but for now i'm rolling with Cyrus/Apothecary (MC), Tressa/Thief, Primrose/Warrior and Therion/Hunter. The spot Therion is in could have any of the others cos they're all great. I'm stocking up on all concoct items for when I eventually get Alfynn in a build I adore and make him permanent.

ChaosArgate posted:

I had that happen to me last night! But then it was the cat’s turn next. :negative:

If the cait is swapped in for an enemy that is broken, it will also be broken for that turn.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm running the strat of having a B team and running through the game in its entirety with each of my teams.

The problem is I don't really like Chemist/Beastmaster/White Mage/Fighter all that much as classes. Ah well.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I’m leveling everyone evenly and I’m trying with Alfyn but poo poo, I hate monkeying with concoction to get anything done. I never have the right seeds or whatever on me. Ophelia, you press the button, you heal the party. Done. Easy. She’s the better healer and I’ll meet everyone in the parking lot later to fight about it. He also needs an all range ice spell.

I’m on Thereon’s chapter 2 boss and it’s kicking my rear end, I think I need to double class Alfyn into a cleric just to keep from him needing to desperately heal each turn. He never has time to poison anyone or anything because he’s busy casting his dinky one hit first aid.

I do think it’s funny that (spoiler for party chat) he can drink all the other dudes under the table though.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Bussamove posted:

Better than me, I’ve got a shitload in my inventory I refuse to use because what if someone else needs it more oh god.

This is my curse in any RPG with stat-increasing items.

:same: what makes it harder is the fact that subclasses exist. HOW CAN I BE OPTIMAL WITH MY NUTS!?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After waking up an hour before my alarm this morning I Traveled for an hour before getting ready for work. I'm really digging this game. I've only played it in 30 min bursts and I'm hoping to have more time to sit down with it this weekend. So far it's been very digestible in short bursts and I appreciate that.

The only disparaging comment I have is: I wish H'aanit's animal summoning wasn't finite. I'm content with the limited number of animal friends I can bring with me, but it'd be nice to not have to think about restocking the charges.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm sort of wondering if I should just ditch the idea of a B-team and just do everyone's story with my super beefy Tressa and Alfyn. They're too precious to not be in my party.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

:same: what makes it harder is the fact that subclasses exist. HOW CAN I BE OPTIMAL WITH MY NUTS!?

I'm just giving everything to Tressa

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Andrast posted:

I'm just giving everything to Tressa

This is a strong option

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A BARGAIN

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
It’s too bad that party chat couldn’t be more integrated into each characters stories, some of them are really good and go a decent way to making the party feel more connected. Hopefully the sequel gets a nice big budget to do that with based on the positive response to this one

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How long is this game? I'm looking for my next game once I finish persona 5. Debating this and bravely second.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

How long is this game? I'm looking for my next game once I finish persona 5. Debating this and bravely second.
Long, at least if you like doing all the things. I've been playing for 38 hours and I'm probably not even halfway through the game (and still haven't completed a single story).

Bravely Second is also very long (and very good) :yeah:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm at 60 hrs and am just starting my final chapter. Probably another 5-10ish preparing for and beating the end game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I committed to giving all the nuts to my main character because at the time I didn't know that I'd be able to swap them out eventually and well... I'm already on that road so why not continue.

Buff Riku but with Tressa's head instead.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bean posted:

I’m leveling everyone evenly and I’m trying with Alfyn but poo poo, I hate monkeying with concoction to get anything done. I never have the right seeds or whatever on me. Ophelia, you press the button, you heal the party. Done. Easy. She’s the better healer and I’ll meet everyone in the parking lot later to fight about it. He also needs an all range ice spell.

Give Alfyn Scholar and half this complaint is fixed. Concoct is also dead easy. Large Volume = AOE, use a large volume with a essence of grape = party heal depending on if you used a mild, moderate, or potent mix. Hell you only do the combination once before it tells you what it'll do. Just buy in bulk the materials he needs when you're in town, it'll cost you maybe 5k leaf to not be bad at using it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So, finally got all the chapter 1s complete, now gonna hunt for the shrine dungeons. Are they in the chapter 1 areas, or in the connecting areas between chapter 1 and chapter 2 areas? Because I couldn't find any in the first three areas I searched....

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

tuo posted:

So, finally got all the chapter 1s complete, now gonna hunt for the shrine dungeons. Are they in the chapter 1 areas, or in the connecting areas between chapter 1 and chapter 2 areas? Because I couldn't find any in the first three areas I searched....

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/466244308484358145/467224057570394112/mhFes1o.jpg

The shrines are circled, some might be for the extra jobs so be careful on your exploring.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RC Cola posted:

Did you play Default?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Natural 20 posted:

Did you play Default?

I did. 100% of it. Loved the game even if the back half sucked a bit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Your Computer posted:

Long, at least if you like doing all the things. I've been playing for 38 hours and I'm probably not even halfway through the game (and still haven't completed a single story).

I don't know why people always mention "I haven't even completed a story". The way the game is structured, you only "complete" a story when you're in the endgame. It's not really set up for you to play a story all the way through from chapter 1 to chapter 4, because the level recommendations between chapters go up, and if you've finished someone's final chapter, you're gonna be way overleveled for anyone else's chapter 1. When you're at endgame levels, you'll naturally be at a point where you're 3/4ths of the way through everyone's story and can go around and knock all the Chapter 4s out in a row. Take that with a grain of salt, because I only finished my second chapter 2 last night (Tressa! :D) but it seems like the game wants you to clear everyone's chapter 1, then clear everyone's chapter 2, etc. It seems like you CAN get away without recruiting everyone, but you'll have to do a little grinding before you're ready to handle the next chapter if you haven't been doing the majority of the chapter content.

On that note, I think the chapter 2s that I've seen have been notably stronger than the chapter 1s, and I'm surprisingly invested in the stories. There was some hilarious tonal whiplash because I did Primrose's "revenge on my family's killers and also sexual abuse" chapter right before we all took a break to let Tressa explore a city she read about in a journal, and then buy some neat looking stones she saw, and then open a market stall and have an adventure with a new friend.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I don't know why people always mention "I haven't even completed a story". The way the game is structured, you only "complete" a story when you're in the endgame. It's not really set up for you to play a story all the way through from chapter 1 to chapter 4, because the level recommendations between chapters go up, and if you've finished someone's final chapter, you're gonna be way overleveled for anyone else's chapter 1. When you're at endgame levels, you'll naturally be at a point where you're 3/4ths of the way through everyone's story and can go around and knock all the Chapter 4s out in a row. Take that with a grain of salt, because I only finished my second chapter 2 last night (Tressa! :D) but it seems like the game wants you to clear everyone's chapter 1, then clear everyone's chapter 2, etc. It seems like you CAN get away without recruiting everyone, but you'll have to do a little grinding before you're ready to handle the next chapter if you haven't been doing the majority of the chapter content.

It means I still have at least 8 Chapter 4's to go before even getting to the post-game. I think that's pretty significant. :confused:

RC Cola posted:

Nice.

I love Bravely Default so much I can't stop posting about it, and I really enjoyed Second (and currently really enjoying Octopath) so you're in for a treat :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Phenotype posted:

While I agree with you, that just makes the decision to lock your starting character to your party even more braindead than it already is.

As much as I love using Therion and would probably have him in my main team regardless, I don't want to use him for content that's half his level. All that it's doing for me is making me rush the stories of my higher level characters and leaving everyone else behind, which seems like the exact opposite of what they're going for.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RC Cola posted:

Then buy Bravely Second first.

I'm only around 14 hours into OT so my experience is limited for sure, but Bravely Second is probably the most accomplished JPRG to have been released in the past five years. If you've played and enjoyed the original then Second is just basically Default but better in every possible way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Your Computer posted:

It means I still have at least 8 Chapter 4's to go before even getting to the post-game. I think that's pretty significant. :confused:

Well yes, but it could also mean that you're literally anywhere in the game short of the very end. It's not really a useful description of how far 38 hours has gotten you. It makes a lot more sense to say something like "I'm 38 hours in and I'm halfway through doing everyone's third chapter" or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Well yes, but it could also mean that you're literally anywhere in the game short of the very end. It's not really a useful description of how far 38 hours has gotten you. It makes a lot more sense to say something like "I'm 38 hours in and I'm halfway through doing everyone's third chapter" or something.
Oh right, now I understand you :v:

Yeah I've done 3 Chapter 3's and I haven't even started the Chapter 2 for half the characters. Game big.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

IcePhoenix posted:

While I agree with you, that just makes the decision to lock your starting character to your party even more braindead than it already is.

As much as I love using Therion and would probably have him in my main team regardless, I don't want to use him for content that's half his level. All that it's doing for me is making me rush the stories of my higher level characters and leaving everyone else behind, which seems like the exact opposite of what they're going for.

That seems like it would work out pretty well, your left behind guys would be appropriately leveled for their earlier chapter content and have the added benefit of advanced gear and classes you already picked up.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am going to start this game over when I complete it and only use my starting character + a subclass and see how long it takes a solo character to complete their story.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Then buy Bravely Second first.

I'm only around 14 hours into OT so my experience is limited for sure, but Bravely Second is probably the most accomplished JPRG to have been released in the past five years. If you've played and enjoyed the original then Second is just basically Default but better in every possible way.

One thing to keep in mind (though probably not as noticeable if it's been a while since you played Default) is that Second is way sillier and weirder. Bravely Default is very much an archetypal JRPG in everything from the characters, jobs, locations, music, enemies, items and mood, so I was a bit put off when I started playing Second almost right after finishing Default and wanted more of the same. Not saying it's a bad thing though!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

figured I'd try a chapter 2 and went for the lowest level one, which was Primrose's at level 21 or so. All my characters are level 18 to 15. It took like 25 minutes to beat the boss but I did it! Hopefully next boss won't take as long or cost me the majority of my grapes/plums haha. Still need to get Olberic. I feel like I need lots more monies because my gear probably could use an upgrade.

Go explore some, unlock the basic subjobs at their shrines. You should get a few levels and be in a better place for chapter 2.

...or run to the high level cities and rob the NPCs of their high level gear. :buddy:

Novasol posted:

Seems like we're posing our dance jackpots.

Got this from Cyrus's chapter 3 boss. It was very thoughtful of the game to just hand me 20 levels right when I wanted to finish his story.

:eyepop:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I haven't used a single nut yet.

In other totally related news I obtained one of the super jobs Runelord and cleared Therion's story. Now I can take him out of my party and spend some time with B Team.

Oh God this feels so wrong. Why is Therion not leading my parade around? Why does this feel so fundamentally broken from how I've known the entire game? :gonk:

I realize now that people are going to have wildly different feelings for characters like this based on who they started with. Therion feels like the protagonist in my heart and this is extremely awkward because none of the 8 are meant to be the "main" protagonist.

Just think of it like Chrono Trigger and how you don't have to keep Crono in the party (or get him back) after the palace fight.

E2M2 posted:

I bet everyone's tier 1 is just the first 4 characters they get.

Cyrus was the 2nd to last person I recruited and he's the 2nd highest level out of the 8.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How many dudes are you supposed to have in one playthrough?

1-8 per playthrough.

Single character runs are probably pretty rough though.

Bean posted:

I’m on Thereon’s chapter 2 boss and it’s kicking my rear end, I think I need to double class Alfyn into a cleric just to keep from him needing to desperately heal each turn. He never has time to poison anyone or anything because he’s busy casting his dinky one hit first aid.

I do think it’s funny that (spoiler for party chat) he can drink all the other dudes under the table though.

Your problem is you aren't buying the dusts to make AOE concoctions to heal your party. Or boost their BP. I think Cleric always wins out on healing power in the end due to being able to boost their aoe heals but even the weaker dust and a grape essence is 800 or 1000 hp to the party. I'm not sure how much the potent dust boosts it to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't mind having my main character locked in for most of the game, but I really wish there was some way to mitigate the inevitable overleveling that will cause.

I said this before, but a system sort of like Chrono Cross's would've been good for this game (and actually kind of a lighter, less spiky version of SaGa leveling at that). In Chrono Cross, you have a chance to randomly gain stats after each battle, but unlike in SaGa, it's paced out really deliberately and intentionally. You also have a "star" rating that determines how high your stats can go--in some ways, it's like a cap on your max level--and you gain more stars through story progress or from certain significant side quests. So it's very hard to be underleveled, and it's very hard to be overleveled. It's a good system.

Even if a hypothetical Octopath sequel stuck with a level-based advancement system, I think some way to sort of save you from overleveling just by playing the game the way it seems like it's supposed to be played would be nice. The downside is that it prevents players from just grinding a bunch to do things like the four unique subjob bosses early and maybe that's not a price everyone's willing to pay, I dunno.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Even if a hypothetical Octopath sequel stuck with a level-based advancement system, I think some way to sort of save you from overleveling just by playing the game the way it seems like it's supposed to be played would be nice. The downside is that it prevents players from just grinding a bunch to do things like the four unique subjob bosses early and maybe that's not a price everyone's willing to pay, I dunno.

Just put in the settings to disable/enable exp, jp, etc. like you already figured out in Bravely :arghfist:

and the random encounter settings too while you're at it :arghfist:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bean posted:

Use concoct. You can buy the seeds, dusts, and other ingredients you need relatively cheaply, and the rules for how recipes work are very simple. To summarize:
  • Base items. If it's a seed, it's single-target. If it's a dust, it's multi-target. The descriptors make it obvious what they do--like, Soothing means it's going to be a healing/restorative mix, and Injurious means it's going to be an attack.
  • Healing reagents. Any ingredients you'd use for healing or restoring SP/BP follow the same naming conventions as normal items. That means grapes restore HP, plums restore SP, pomegranates restore BP, and olives revive. On top of that, any of the status effect herbs, like Noxroot or Addlewort, restore a small amount of HP on top of curing the status effect they're named after.
  • Attacking reagents. These do require a little memorization, but basically all of the reagents also have an associated element. Noxroot is fire, Sleepweed is ice, addlewort is light, grape and olive are wind, plum is lightning, and pomegranate is dark. Mix those with a seed or dust and you get an attack that doesn't do much damage, but usually hits multiple times and has a chance to debuff or cause a status effect. Alfyn isn't quite as good as Cyrus (or anyone with the Scholar subjob) at shredding defenses, but he's close, and he can hit a wider range of elemental weaknesses than Scholar can.
And that's it. The whole system is very simple compared to other JRPG "mix" systems and it's incredibly effective. Honestly putting Cleric on Alfyn is kind of a waste of his subjob slot because he can do so many things just mixing common ingredients if you think to stock up when you're in town.

Your Computer posted:

Just put in the settings to disable/enable exp, jp, etc. like you already figured out in Bravely :arghfist:

and the random encounter settings too while you're at it :arghfist:

Yeah, there's also that. Apply the lessons you've already learned, Bravely team!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 20, 2018

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Without stating outright, where abouts do you actually get the special subclasses? I'm 34 hours in and my characters are approaching level 40 and I've yet to come across anything.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

To add to the above, note the fact that Alfyns injurous seed/dust moves are a guaranteed multi-hit elemental weakness that costs 0 SP and 0 BP. It's extremely good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Frankston posted:

Without stating outright, where abouts do you actually get the special subclasses? I'm 34 hours in and my characters are approaching level 40 and I've yet to come across anything.

They're in high level areas; I ran up to one last night, its in an area with danger level 45 and the shrine itself is danger level 50.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What happens if you use injurious seed with like essence of grape

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

They're in high level areas; I ran up to one last night, its in an area with danger level 45 and the shrine itself is danger level 50.

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure I hadn't ran past them all earlier on in the game or something.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You summon Grape Ape and he kills everything.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I think thats a wind element attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Multi-hit wind attack on one enemy. Does gently caress all for damage but can shred defenses.