Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

To add to the above, note the fact that Alfyns injurous seed/dust moves are a guaranteed multi-hit elemental weakness that costs 0 SP and 0 BP. It's extremely good.

More specifically, I think it's like:

Injurious Seed: Single target, 2 hits
Injurious Dust: Multitarget, 1 hit
Ruinous Seed: Single target, 3 hits
Runious Dust: Multitarget, I think 2 hits

So Alfyn is probably better at breaking against a single target than Scholar because he can do three hits with Ruinous Seeds, and he's just as good (and more versatile) as long as you have Ruinous Dusts. That said you're not going to have an abundance of Ruinous anything early in the game so that's where Scholar will outshine him, and Scholar will of course do much more damage so it's still a fantastic job.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What happens if you use injurious seed with like essence of grape

Wind attack with a chance to lower physical defense. Plum is lightning and pomegranate is dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That seems like it would work out pretty well, your left behind guys would be appropriately leveled for their earlier chapter content and have the added benefit of advanced gear and classes you already picked up.

I've been getting the sense that the stories are tied together (or at the very least, some of them are) so it would be pretty cool if I could just not have to do it this way and instead do each level of chapters together instead of the way it's happening

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been getting the sense that the stories are tied together (or at the very least, some of them are) so it would be pretty cool if I could just not have to do it this way and instead do each level of chapters together instead of the way it's happening

Then just do it that way? That's what I've been doing, and it seems to work out. Therion is in the high 20s but his experience requirements are ramping up, and everyone else is still somewhere in the 20s. I swap out characters here and there so Therion's the only one who's rising above the recommended level, and I haven't had to do any real grinding on the others.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through Tressa is level 25, the chapter 2 boss for her is kicking my rear end. Main problem is the two soldiers who seem to take forever to die, but I can't ignore since they hit everyone for 400 damage per action.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Got my first 2 party banters, one right after I completed Prim's ch2 and another when I got to the bar. One was with Cyrus about dancing and the other was H'annit being mopey about necklaces from dead parents. There is a small notification and a dedicated sound for when it pops up but yeah it's kind of crazy how easy you could miss that.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Been playing this a lot the past week, and drat it's a weird game. There's some things to like here but to me most things just feel poorly designed overall.

- You can already make fleeing from random battles basically guaranteed, so why not just make them optional? Constantly stopping the game just feels awkward and bad when you don't want constant fights against trash that isn't challenging or meaningful in any way. Feels like they are just intentionally annoying you when you can blow up any encounters in one turn anyway.
- Some classes are just straight up bad. I fed Cyrus most of my magic berries, but it turns out one of the alternative classes is just a vastly improved version of the scholar - after you get him, scholar is 100% useless.
- The first time I got to a final story boss (at level ~30-35, recommended was 45) the fight was great and I had to actually use some of my items (blinding powders etc). After that, the rest of them are absolute cakewalks because you already have good gear / leveled party members. Sure, I could just intentionally make my party bad to get some challenge, but again, what kind of game design is that? Only 1/8 of the game is meant to be anything but steamrolling over things unless you make your characters go in naked or something?
- Most of the writing is awful and the game just absolutely refuses to shut up. I liked some of the stories, but it's incredible how much pointless non-interactive fluff they jammed even in those relatively brief story pieces. Every time a main character is walking out of the room in a cutscene, you can bet someone will stop them before they get out and tell you things you already got told 100 times before. Cyrus was probably the worst; the "detective" segments were just insulting and there was zero gameplay in them, you can't lose even intentionally and the "mysteries" are along the lines of "people are disappearing next to this giant hole in the wall. Only the magic Sherlock can figure out that they might be in the giant hole."

I hope the postgame stuff is interesting, but drat it's a slog to finish the rest of the characters past the first ones - just opening it up after doing the first 4 characters or so would be great. Other games could learn from Octopath's example of making towns and NPCs a little more interactive with the path actions, but most of those are completely pointless gameplaywise too ("discount at an inn"? Really? Inn costs 100 and I have millions while literally throwing money away at fights already, thanks). I needed something to fiddle with while listening to podcasts / audiobooks and this did that, but imo it's not worth 60€.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dropbear posted:

- Some classes are just straight up bad. I fed Cyrus most of my magic berries, but it turns out one of the alternative classes is just a vastly improved version of the scholar - after you get him, scholar is 100% useless.

To be fair that is like 90% through the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sounds like your issues boil down to "I'm overleveled, have shitloads of ingame money, and I dislike most of the game" so I don't think I'd recommend you bother playing further? "scholar is 100% useless" though is kind of not true given how myself and others can vaporize enemies with Cyrus later on.

Andrast posted:

To be fair that is like 90% through the game

How the gently caress are people this far already, I have 17 hours logged and only just completed a single Chapter 2 since launch day.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
H'aanit in her chapter 3 flashback is so CUTE.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Phenotype posted:

Then just do it that way? That's what I've been doing, and it seems to work out. Therion is in the high 20s but his experience requirements are ramping up, and everyone else is still somewhere in the 20s. I swap out characters here and there so Therion's the only one who's rising above the recommended level, and I haven't had to do any real grinding on the others.

Therion is level 45. Olberic, Primrose, and Alfyn are close behind. I did a lot of exploring and had a couple lucky dances in higher level areas.

If Therion was at least close to the level suggestion that's one thing, but he's more than double most of them.

DLC Inc posted:

How the gently caress are people this far already, I have 17 hours logged and only just completed a single Chapter 2 since launch day.

I was in a pretty similar spot. Once you start doing stories you sort of just want to keep going. Also fast travel cuts out a lot of time running between areas.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 20, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dropbear posted:

Been playing this a lot the past week, and drat it's a weird game. There's some things to like here but to me most things just feel poorly designed overall.

- You can already make fleeing from random battles basically guaranteed, so why not just make them optional? Constantly stopping the game just feels awkward and bad when you don't want constant fights against trash that isn't challenging or meaningful in any way. Feels like they are just intentionally annoying you when you can blow up any encounters in one turn anyway.
- The first time I got to a final story boss (at level ~30-35, recommended was 45) the fight was great and I had to actually use some of my items (blinding powders etc). After that, the rest of them are absolute cakewalks because you already have good gear / leveled party members. Sure, I could just intentionally make my party bad to get some challenge, but again, what kind of game design is that? Only 1/8 of the game is meant to be anything but steamrolling over things unless you make your characters go in naked or something?
- Most of the writing is awful and the game just absolutely refuses to shut up. I liked some of the stories, but it's incredible how much pointless non-interactive fluff they jammed even in those relatively brief story pieces. Every time a main character is walking out of the room in a cutscene, you can bet someone will stop them before they get out and tell you things you already got told 100 times before. Cyrus was probably the worst; the "detective" segments were just insulting and there was zero gameplay in them, you can't lose even intentionally and the "mysteries" are along the lines of "people are disappearing next to this giant hole in the wall. Only the magic Sherlock can figure out that they might be in the giant hole."

I hope the postgame stuff is interesting, but drat it's a slog to finish the rest of the characters past the first ones - just opening it up after doing the first 4 characters or so would be great. Other games could learn from Octopath's example of making towns and NPCs a little more interactive with the path actions, but most of those are completely pointless gameplaywise too ("discount at an inn"? Really? Inn costs 100 and I have millions while literally throwing money away at fights already, thanks). I needed something to fiddle with while listening to podcasts / audiobooks and this did that, but imo it's not worth 60€.

:bigwhat:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

DLC Inc posted:

sounds like your issues boil down to "I'm overleveled, have shitloads of ingame money, and I dislike most of the game" so I don't think I'd recommend you bother playing further? "scholar is 100% useless" though is kind of not true given how myself and others can vaporize enemies with Cyrus later on.

I got the "scholar but better" class at around 25h played maybe. I didn't finish all the earlier chapters before going into the later ones, though. This might be better paced that way.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Phenotype posted:

I don't know why people always mention "I haven't even completed a story". The way the game is structured, you only "complete" a story when you're in the endgame. It's not really set up for you to play a story all the way through from chapter 1 to chapter 4, because the level recommendations between chapters go up, and if you've finished someone's final chapter, you're gonna be way overleveled for anyone else's chapter 1. When you're at endgame levels, you'll naturally be at a point where you're 3/4ths of the way through everyone's story and can go around and knock all the Chapter 4s out in a row. Take that with a grain of salt, because I only finished my second chapter 2 last night (Tressa! :D) but it seems like the game wants you to clear everyone's chapter 1, then clear everyone's chapter 2, etc. It seems like you CAN get away without recruiting everyone, but you'll have to do a little grinding before you're ready to handle the next chapter if you haven't been doing the majority of the chapter content.

On that note, I think the chapter 2s that I've seen have been notably stronger than the chapter 1s, and I'm surprisingly invested in the stories. There was some hilarious tonal whiplash because I did Primrose's "revenge on my family's killers and also sexual abuse" chapter right before we all took a break to let Tressa explore a city she read about in a journal, and then buy some neat looking stones she saw, and then open a market stall and have an adventure with a new friend.

I had to play Tressa's final chapter after Primrose's final chapter because Primrose's story is depressing enough... and also kind of peetered out at the end there leaving me utterly apathetic to it and it's ending. Having a purely feel-good story with a decent ending right after did wonders after Primrose's.

Dropbear posted:

I got the "scholar but better" class at around 25h played maybe. I didn't finish all the earlier chapters before going into the later ones, though. This might be better paced that way.

The irony here is that "Scholar but better" is best when used by said Scholar.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Cyrus is amazing as the starting character because it allows enemy weaknesses to be quickly revealed and puzzled out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

IcePhoenix posted:

Therion is level 45. Olberic, Primrose, and Alfyn are close behind. I did a lot of exploring and had a couple lucky dances in higher level areas.

If Therion was at least close to the level suggestion that's one thing, but he's more than double most of them.

Yeah, I'm tempted but I haven't bothered using the Bewildering Dance at all because of all the talk in here about it. It sounds neat to gain 50k experience in one fight but realistically I'd probably lose interest in the game once the combat became meaningless. I'm only a few levels above the recommended on Therion, and he's still BELOW a couple of the higher-end Chapter 2s, so he's just a little stronger than average, and since the rest of the party is average or a little below, it's been working out.

DLC Inc posted:

Hah, that's casual talk buddy. I did 15 hours between Friday night and Sunday night, and I'm almost at 21 now despite working all week. And I think I'm on the low end as far as this thread is concerned. It's hard not to play for hours every time I pick this thing up, if I had more free time I'd probably be closer to 40 hours in by now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I made it to the Riverlands second city for Ophilia's second story but I didn't want to start without having found any of these subclasses I've been hearing about. Are they obvious or do I need to go searching for them?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Folt The Bolt posted:

The irony here is that "Scholar but better" is best when used by said Scholar.

Huh, good to hear - I thought my nuts were wasted. Is there something I'm not getting in scholar, then?

Stats seem pretty easy to get capped with chapter 4 gear (and all the magic nuts) so Cyrus' magic atk. shouldn't make a difference - I'd rather have alternative skills instead of the overlap scholar + mage gives. Or is there a way to get stats past the cap?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got scholar but better like 40% through my play through. And it's not redundant since only one person can use it (should be Cyrus) and you need all eight characters.

Now that I'm done here's my definitive story tier list:

Good: Olberic, Primrose, Therion
Decent: Cyrus, Alfyn
Boring/bad: H'aanit, Ophelia, Tressa

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Arist posted:

Man, I made it to the Riverlands second city for Ophilia's second story but I didn't want to start without having found any of these subclasses I've been hearing about. Are they obvious or do I need to go searching for them?

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/466244308484358145/467224057570394112/mhFes1o.jpg

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arist posted:

you literally walked past the apothecary one to get to Saintsbridge lol

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I'm tempted but I haven't bothered using the Bewildering Dance at all because of all the talk in here about it. It sounds neat to gain 50k experience in one fight but realistically I'd probably lose interest in the game once the combat became meaningless. I'm only a few levels above the recommended on Therion, and he's still BELOW a couple of the higher-end Chapter 2s, so he's just a little stronger than average, and since the rest of the party is average or a little below, it's been working out.

I still like the dance, it's a fun gimmick. But I find myself very rarely using it now. Generally Primrose uses her BP to explode things instead (scholar secondary).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IcePhoenix posted:

you literally walked past the apothecary one to get to Saintsbridge lol

Yeah I had a feeling I goobered that one up

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dropbear posted:

Huh, good to hear - I thought my nuts were wasted. Is there something I'm not getting in scholar, then?

Stats seem pretty easy to get capped with chapter 4 gear so Cyrus' magic atk. shouldn't make a difference - I'd rather have alternative skills instead of the overlap scholar + mage gives. Or is there a way to get stats past the cap?

Invest JP into the Warrior so you get Surpassing Power which ups the damage cap from 9999 to 99999. Then, equip skills to boost the power of elemental attacks alongside Surpassing Power from these four options:

BP Eater - More damage when the attack is boosted. It's the best passive for increasing damage on any damage dealer.
Augmented Elements - 25% more power with no downside.
Elemental Aid - 50% more power in exchange for doubled SP on the elemental attacks.
Elemental Edge - Provides a buff similiar to Peacock Strut (50%-60%) and can be temporarily dispelled in the same manner.

A way to go about this is to equip Elemental Edge instead of Augmented Elements or Elemental Aid when you're fighting mooks to kill them with Sorcerer spells and equip the rest when dealing with bosses where you boost yourself with Alephan/Dreisang, Elemental Bane the boss and have a Dancer cast Peacock Strut on Cyrus to get the benefit that Elemental Edge would give you, before unloading on the boss with boosted Sorcerer spells (as you're probably paired up with someone that can give Cyrus BP every turn), probably after a break.

EDIT: And for the record, while other people with elemental attack can do this, their default moveset and stalines make them much better suited to other roles (Primrose for example wants to cast Peacock Strut on the Sorcerer instead of being the Sorcerer and Ophilia is healing and otherwise wants to buff the Sorcerer and maybe Warmaster with Aelfric's Auspices instead of being the Sorcerer).

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 20, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You guys are too far in my head, I pushed towards Op's Ch4 boss just so I could finally drop her from my party and hosed up three runs by getting greedy with my dancing. 2 of them locked me out of items and then one of them was a group to 1 HP followed by SP 0.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've been seeing end game builds as

saving grace
bp eater
elemental edge / physical prowess
surpassing power

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Can someone remind me where I get the skill that improves fleeing? I can't seem to find it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Can someone remind me where I get the skill that improves fleeing? I can't seem to find it.

Cleric. Third Support Skill.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

Cleric. Third Support Skill.

Thanks muchly :tipshat:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arist posted:

Yeah I had a feeling I goobered that one up

Watch your radar when you're going to "second ring" towns for an icon that looks sort of like a greek/roman temple entrance (it's like three pillars or something). Those are where you get the secondary classes. The ones that are the base eight classes are empty (no random encounters, no boss) and you just have to interact with an item at the end. The others are normal dungeons with a boss, but are also between the second and third rings so you can't really accidentally get them when looking for the first eight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IcePhoenix posted:

Watch your radar when you're going to "second ring" towns for an icon that looks sort of like a greek/roman temple entrance (it's like three pillars or something). Those are where you get the secondary classes. The ones that are the base eight classes are empty (no random encounters, no boss) and you just have to interact with an item at the end. The others are normal dungeons with a boss, but are also between the second and third rings so you can't really accidentally get them when looking for the first eight.

I vaguely remember something along those lines. Thanks for the help.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm in the process of gathering all my characters, and I really like a lot of things about the game, but my major gripe so far is that holy gently caress it's really hard to see things in some of the darker areas. I was missing tons of small paths to treasure chests on the path to the cave in the Apothecary, then the cave itself was a nightmare. Maxing out the brightness makes things a little better, but then makes your player sprites obnoxiously bright, and playing in docked mode helps things out too, but even with both docked and max brightness I'm in the Whisperwood and am basically wallhugging my way trying to find the paths to these treasure chests I keep seeing. The lighting system really works during battles, but in all honestly I wish there was a way to turn it off while just exploring.

e: also, just to make sure I'm seeing this right, you can't remove your starting character from your party until you complete their Ch4?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: also, just to make sure I'm seeing this right, you can't remove your starting character from your party until you complete their Ch4?

Correct

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played much beyond Ch. 1 yet but I'm probably going to try to do all the characters' stories concurrently, even if it means Alfyn will be overleveled. I hope he won't be too badly overleveled but that's probably better than my whole party being overleveled and then needing to grind up a whole new party of 4 after that.

I wonder if it would help if I just make a policy of ignoring every Cait I see

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm in the process of gathering all my characters, and I really like a lot of things about the game, but my major gripe so far is that holy gently caress it's really hard to see things in some of the darker areas. I was missing tons of small paths to treasure chests on the path to the cave in the Apothecary, then the cave itself was a nightmare. Maxing out the brightness makes things a little better, but then makes your player sprites obnoxiously bright, and playing in docked mode helps things out too, but even with both docked and max brightness I'm in the Whisperwood and am basically wallhugging my way trying to find the paths to these treasure chests I keep seeing. The lighting system really works during battles, but in all honestly I wish there was a way to turn it off while just exploring.

Have you turned off Corner Shadows?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Try turning off corner shadows. I think the game looks better without them and it makes things easier to see.

Edit: beaten by a fancier post.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
The dungeons near the starter towns, do these contain any special loot/quest stuff or are they just there for an optional early game challenge?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard the polar bear enemy was a pain in the rear end for people but I encountered one last night and he wasn't too bad....though his Rampage attack def has the chance to wipe your party if you were low

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Theswarms posted:

The dungeons near the starter towns, do these contain any special loot/quest stuff or are they just there for an optional early game challenge?

The one near Primrose's town had a quest item to steal from a NPC to finish a side quest that started outside of it. Some of them contain bosses. All dungeons (so far) seem to contain at least one purple chest with a really nice upgrade, provided you haven't already robbed / dipped into ch2+ dungeons or towns. They mostly seem to be around to add flavor and something to do while getting levels to complete Ch2s. I've used the same party of four, cleared all of the dungeons and my party is between 27-25.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 20, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I appreciate that they recorded every single character shoutout doing every single skill, but no one says NIGHT ODE with even half as much drama as Primrose.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I appreciate that they recorded every single character shoutout doing every single skill, but no one says NIGHT ODE with even half as much drama as Primrose.

Cyrus smugging it up with "consider it... your tuition" when you use Collect with him is so good

The personalized lines are a small touch that adds a ton of flavor and I appreciate that they went to the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I haven't heard most of them so far but Cyrus's "The peacock will STRUT :mad:" cracks me up every time.