Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Hey has anyone said DON'T DATE ROBOTS yet? Oops, I mean DON'T USE UNIFI!

Because don't use Unifi for real business. I refuse to rewrite the giant posts I've made about it in the past, but suffice it to say that while their products have improved and generally function (my house WiFi is Unifi), they don't hold up under real usage. Maybe the new generation is different. But having been burned twice, I wouldn't do it again until someone showed me hard proof of a Unifi AP gracefully handling 40+ heavy-use clients for hours on end. And even then....

I have never used Ubiquiti anything -- and I don't plan to as we have heavy-duty wireless needs -- but I have seen a ton of people talking about how great they are and then, like, three people who say their products are garbage and the company is a house of cards on the verge of collapse. None of the latter ever really get into why. What is it about their kit that people have problems with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't remember who, but there is a goon that posts here that worked at ubnt and has some fun stories.

Basically, yes, don't use unifi for anything important.

guppy posted:

I have never used Ubiquiti anything -- and I don't plan to as we have heavy-duty wireless needs -- but I have seen a ton of people talking about how great they are and then, like, three people who say their products are garbage and the company is a house of cards on the verge of collapse. None of the latter ever really get into why. What is it about their kit that people have problems with?

It's mostly QA issues, poor support, and a history of promising features at product launch that aren't usable until after multiple product revisions or maybe not at all.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 19, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're fine to use at home or for SMB stuff, but the switches are garbage and there's really no support. Their supply chain is awful as well so you might be waiting ages to get stuff RMAd.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am now able to access SAP on an Azure VM that is joined to our local domain using RDP on my phone. This stuff is super cool
:toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The original ask was...

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Should I get a Meraki or an Aironet for my work? 3 floors, max 250 people and about 8-10 AP for coverage. Most staff use ethernet, so it's mostly for mobile devices and guest network.

Unifi works just fine for that. It's cheap, easy to set up, and is pretty much hands-off in my experience. I've had to replace 1 WAP in my entire time working with them. I use them at my current place, use them at home, and pushed for them to be used in lieu of Meraki for clients who were not going to spend that much when I was in MSP-land. We had very few problems, but I can't say I've worked in a place that considered "heavy, sustained use" of wifi a critical thing. We're comfortable enough with ours that we'll run webinars and the like off of it, but I wouldn't have every user using it for their day to day.

Thanks Ants posted:

They're fine to use at home or for SMB stuff, but the switches are garbage and there's really no support. Their supply chain is awful as well so you might be waiting ages to get stuff RMAd.

Yeah, I'm talking about WAPs and WAPs only. I wouldn't use any of their other stuff in anything but the smallest of businesses. For us, the WAPs are cheap enough that we just keep one or two spares on-hand just in case.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 19, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It bears noting that the WAPs are pretty much the only ones made in a long time that still use passive PoE, which can limit your options for equipment. I guess it’s no a big issue if everything is 100% Ubiquiti with no holdovers.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 19, 2018

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sheep posted:

Allow me to quote from my previous job's helpdesk, just yesterday:
Receptionist: "Client can't connect to the wireless!"
Helpdesk: "Unfortunately [we're on Meraki so] literally nothing I can do to help you there."

It's easy to set up but for troubleshooting your options are basically 'welp, go find them an ethernet cable.'

If you need to troubleshoot you can chat with or speak with a Meraki support person within a minute or two. The software also makes it very easy to reboot, wireless packet capture, and display relevant info like DNS or DHCP requests that fail per vlan, and to remotely manage a number of different devices at different locations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Fool posted:

I don't remember who, but there is a goon that posts here that worked at ubnt and has some fun stories.

That would be me - I was UBNT tech support for a little while, one of about 4 people who did tech support and RMAs for every single UBNT product.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mass firings/layoffs at my old job today including my old boss who is the whole reason I have this career. I left just in time, but man what poo poo :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It bears noting that the WAPs are pretty much the only ones made in a long time that still use passive PoE, which can limit your options for equipment. I guess it’s no a big issue if everything is 100% Ubiquiti with no holdovers.

They don’t have any AP models left that don’t support one of 802.3af/at, so passive is not a requirement.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RFC2324 posted:

ive always wondered about the whole skype call while you wander. do people actually carry their laptops around while on a skype call?

No, but Skype has an app for iphones, etc and people squat conference rooms and get kicked out mid-call. A mobile phone with a headset is not an uncommon sight in a hallway.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

No, but Skype has an app for iphones, etc and people squat conference rooms and get kicked out mid-call. A mobile phone with a headset is not an uncommon sight in a hallway.

that both makes sense and is hilarious

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

"guppy posted:

The Fool posted:

It's mostly QA issues, poor support, and a history of promising features at product launch that aren't usable until after multiple product revisions or maybe not at all.

As I alluded to, I've written loving novels at least twice in these very pages (well it might have been the pisses you off thread), about the two times we tried Unifi in a real world client environment. At this point I may go find those posts. But before I do, since I'm currently waiting for one of the last DAG clusters I administer (i.e. one of our last holdouts of on-premises Exchange) to run updates which will take a while since the VMs are on dog-slow 2012-era R620s, here's a brief summary:

--Client A, large SF startup in possibly one of the worst RF environments in the world (downtown SF near Union Square, CrazyLittle please don't PM me again about this we've already concluded we don't know each other). Refused to buy real gear. Ironically these guys had started out with Meraki, but they started with Meraki back when THEY was a startup, and the Meraki gear at the time was utter poo poo. How things have changed. Anyway we put in Unifi because that was the only thing that even came close to their "budget". Everything seemed fine for the first week or so, and then the problems started. This was also a dark time for Ubiquiti where their firmware was constantly in beta. The "stable" version of the firmware was version 2.x, but everyone knew you had to run version 3.something because that was the only thing that actually kind of worked (version 2.x was about a year out of date at this point). But only certain versions of the 3.x trains, because SOME of them were terrible and even worse than the stable firmware, and some were OK. UBNT seems to have gotten past that at least, or maybe they just stopped calling beta firmware beta and are just releasing it as stable, but whatever. Point is the APs just couldn't handle more than about 25 clients without falling the gently caress over, and I don't mean they just got slow, I mean everyone's connections dropped. And these guys, besides the RF environment and their absurdly heavy usage (all of their stuff was cloud based), would cram 40-60 people in a conference room (and not a large room, these people were cheek by jowl), and the one AP in there would self destruct immediately. It didn't help that these morons would go back to their desks, put their laptop on the desk about a foot away from a perfectly good Ethernet cable, and continue to work away on wireless because plugging in wasn't cool or some poo poo. And in typical fashion for cheap clients, the minute things went wrong it was "how come you can't get the wireless working you're incompetent". They even brought in their own "wireless experts" because they didn't believe what we were saying, and their expert walked in the door, saw all the people at their desks, and the first loving thing out of his mouth was "why aren't those people plugging in". Because the first rule of wireless is don't loving use wireless if you can help it. And then he looked at how we'd tuned the system, and the placement of APs, and said "yup that's pretty much how I'd configure it and where I'd put them. And you say you're having issues? Welp :shrug: ". Note this was supposedly a Ubiquiti expert, too.

--Client B, about a year later (2014). Non-startup, non-tech company, in suburban environment with very little RF interference (they had their own building and it was separated from others by at least 100 feet on each side. Also, the interior of the building was one giant big open space with conference rooms and so on built along the sides). We concluded that 1) this was a much friendlier environment and 2) maybe UBNT's fixed their poo poo in the intervening year. Since these guys were on Cisco APs from I poo poo you not 2006, but they didn't want to pay for another Cisco setup and Meraki was still kinda meh, we said OK this should go much better.

It did not. Same loving issues with density, even though the density was much lower - part of the problem we found was that the APs were pretty sticky in getting rid of clients, even when loving around with the RSSI settings (we had already lowered the transmit power of course to try and create individual pools instead of having one AP broadcast all over the loving giant space, and separate channels of course were the first step, this was all 5 GHz). Part of the problem admittedly was these people were unwilling to mount the APs properly, so they just sat on desks except for a couple we did manage to mount on walls around the edges. But at the end of the day it was the same unreliable bullshit where people had dropped connections for no discernible reason, too many clients on each AP made them fall over, and the client thought we were complete morons for pushing this solution (even though they didn't of course want to buy a real one).

Guess that wasn't a brief summary. And as I said earlier, it's quite possible that in the intervening four years Ubiquiti has finally gotten it together. I have two AC Pros in my house, four more in my parents house, and just advised a friend to buy the stuff for his (tiny) company's office. I still wouldn't advise it for any real scale, and the point about their lack of support and RMA ability is very valid - they are not an enterprise company, in terms of the way they operate (just find chin up everything sucks posts about what they were telling people complaining about the camera NVR product, which as I recall they knew very well would just delete footage on its own and that was just what it did OH WELL but they were telling complainers it must be user error).

So yeah, the Ubiquiti promise is extremely enticing, as it always has been, and my boss has actually been suggesting it for a client in the past week or so and I keep being like "motherfucker, do you not remember the first two times?" But when the budget is the budget, they may be the best choice. Just be warned it's not all rainbows and fairytales.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're taking about poo poo from 2014 that literally "sat on desks" instead of being mounted properly. I get it goons, Unifi will not work in a high demand environment 4 years ago when they're mounted sideways. I get it. But the original ask was very minor and for that they do just fine. Regardless, the person asking said they can't buy Unifi for procurement reasons.

If anyone has better recommendations for affordable and easy to manage, I'm all ears. The Extreme Networks stuff sound promising and I've heard good things about their switches but I've never got a chance to be hands on with the gear.

As with anything else, the right tool for the job and something for the bottom 10% is not the same solution for the top 10%. I think we've established that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used Wing Express when it was a Zebra product, can’t really fault it. Under £200 for an AC access point in 2014, sign me up. Only potential downside is that you need a maintenance subscription to get software updates for them.

Also the new Aruba Instant stuff with the option to hook it into Central looks quite promising.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 20, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not gonna lie, if being a park ranger paid better I'd quit and become one right now. I'm too accustomed to a high paycheque unfortunately.
The eternal dilemma of working in IT: It sucks and most of us would rather do something else, but you can't beat the $/effort ratio.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Collateral Damage posted:

The eternal dilemma of working in IT: It sucks and most of us would rather do something else, but you can't beat the $/effort ratio.

I tried, I really tried, but after almost a decade, I came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Preach, brother

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I mean I like IT and all but really, pretty much this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yup 100%. Where else can I make 6 figures for this level of effort.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup 100%. Where else can I make 6 figures for this level of effort.

Executive Management. Make 6 figures to spend most of your time bullshitting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Executive Management. Make 6 figures to spend most of your time bullshitting.

I know this is a common trope and that my experiences are my own, blah, blah

But I work at the corporate headquarters of my company and 80% of the staff here is executive management. I've met very few people that are busier and have higher stress jobs than the executives here.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

How did I not know that Windows has had a built-in screen capture tool since Vista?!?!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

I've been using the PrintScreen key and image editing software to crop giant screenshots by hand for all these years, when I could have just been using this thing. What the hell. I'm gonna cry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snip is pretty great and yeah you should have known about it for ages.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use Greenshot or ShareX if you can

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
It’s the best, and so easy to use for sending screenshots if you need help. Just open snipping tool, make a rectangular or window snip, paste into Word, print, scan in as PDF, and either email or print/fax to your help desk!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Snip is pretty great and yeah you should have known about it for ages.

It's been available for over a decade. I feel like an idiot. :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DizzyBum posted:

It's been available for over a decade. I feel like an idiot. :(

Better to learn about it today than tomorrow.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Better to learn about it today than tomorrow.

I like this, it's mine now.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The hallmark of good IT is doing as little as possible. If your environment is running smoothly and you trained your users not to be complete idiots, then enjoy your 4 hours of downtime a day. Fire up a Netflix series or read the forums.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don't actually watch Netflix at work.

Forums/twitter/reddit/whatever is fine because it can be done in bite size chunks, but if you're watching shows or movies, it's a real quick way to lose some hours that you should be using for professional development.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Don't actually watch Netflix at work.

Forums/twitter/reddit/whatever is fine because it can be done in bite size chunks, but if you're watching shows or movies, it's a real quick way to lose some hours that you should be using for professional development.

I loved my first job in IT. I babysat a client 40 hours a week.

"You can do whatever you want over there. Just read books all day if you want. We just need a live person there from 8-5."

I read the Petzold 'Programming Windows 95' book, learned Linux, studied for Window 2000 certs...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Winkey + Shift + S

Drag box, paste.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Use Greenshot or ShareX if you can

Greenshot is awesome, especially once you set it to just open up straight into the editor instead of the context menu.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Winkey + Shift + S

Drag box, paste.

I like Snip because I can have it start screen grabbing after 2-5 seconds.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Paste directly into emails and poo poo, too! Thanks for the shortcut

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Winkey + Shift + S

Drag box, paste.

My work laptop is Win7 so this doesn't work, but I'll keep that in mind for later!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone ever known anyone who works at PC Pitstop? They seem to be too good to be true. Hiring a ton of entry level positions for remote jobs, paying for your phone and internet, paying your copays, and paying for a gym membership? The pay is apparently on the low end, but in my case at least those benefits could be basically an extra $10k.

Or is that just a Pod company that I managed never to hear of?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone ever known anyone who works at PC Pitstop? They seem to be too good to be true. Hiring a ton of entry level positions for remote jobs, paying for your phone and internet, paying your copays, and paying for a gym membership? The pay is apparently on the low end, but in my case at least those benefits could be basically an extra $10k.

Or is that just a Pod company that I managed never to hear of?

Without looking up anything about it, the name makes me think you'll be doing Geek Squad-type poo poo work and be entirely metric'd out the rear end for evaluations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Greenshot is awesome, especially once you set it to just open up straight into the editor instead of the context menu.

Just be careful about not setting it up to auto upload to imgur or anything if you may be snipping things you don't want on the internet