Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

GET MONEY posted:

Every single Canadian school dinged me except Manitoba and Saskatchewan but apparently a smart minority has a bright future in California?

Admittedly I didn’t apply for UNB

Wait and try again. Get a better LSAT or something. Going to us as a Canadian to go to law school is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GET MONEY posted:

Thanks for reiterating, this was referenced before but I couldn't find your post. I'd imagine as a junior to mid-level associate I'd have less meetings and more legal grunt work?

No, you’d be in the same meetings getting assigned the grunt work by yuns and his ilk.

yuns’ schedule is the one kept by the people who have already paid their dues and are working a lighter schedule.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I will sleep from 2:00 am-5:00 am.

Dude, you're gonna get Trumpbrain if you live like that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

Dude, you're gonna get Trumpbrain if you live like that.
Probably already have it. But seriously, I'm one of those people who for whatever genetic reason have never needed as much sleep as others. 3 hours is too little but if I get 5 hours I'm fine.

edit:
Tonight, I'm going to post a list of stuff I wish I had known about life/finances as a partner before I became a partner.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 20, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Whistleblowers are usually dirtbag employees. CMV.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That's a shocking lack of sleep. Also no offense but I'm surprised your family sticks with you

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Working for government, a typical summer day:

5:30am: wake up

6:10am: walk to gym

6:30am: lift, shower, dress

8:20am: walk to work

8:30am: first to arrive at the office

[do literally nothing because it's summer and everyone is on vacation. Have long talks with boss and coworkers about cake recipes.]

12:00pm: mandatory lunch hour

1:00pm: check emails. Nope, still nothing to do.

4:00pm: attend a client meeting

5:00pm: clients cut the meeting short to go home

5:10pm: go to gym again

5:20pm: cardio while waiting for husband to finish lifting

6:20pm: drive home

6:30pm: shower, eat dinner, yadda yadda yadda

9:00pm: sleep

I love my job.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Edit: nevermind

I think I might get more sleep than anyone else in here despite being perpetually exhausted . Fitbit watch I got for Christmas (not so subtle hint???) Has me at about 7.5 hrs of sleep a night and another hour of tossing and turning so really 8.5 in bed. I don't know how youse survive

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 20, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Eminent Domain posted:

Also yeah you can't defeat Toona's story at this point. I welcome the attempt.

Racking up 200k in loans then being unable to find a job and getting kicked out to Canada would be worse than Toona IMO

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Adar posted:

Racking up 200k in loans then being unable to find a job and getting kicked out to Canada would be worse than Toona IMO

Needs plot twists.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Adar posted:

Anyone with finance background know if you can just stop paying your loans through American companies if you live in Canada?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Anyone with finance background know if you can just stop paying your loans through American companies if you live in Canada?

If you don't mind never going back to the US then probably

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I only sleep about 6 hours a night.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

I'm extremely MBTI suited too for whatever that's worth.

L. O. Fuckin. L.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

I only sleep about 6 hours a night.

6-7 for me.

But that's because I don't have the willpower to stop watching Youtube late at night.

Go to law school, work for the government.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I spent years of my life basically running this schedule 5-7 days a week in homeport anytime we had a major inspection around the corner (basically all the time)

4 am - get up, shower, get dressed, drive to work
5 am - engineering khaki call on flight deck
5:15-6:00 - relay information to division from senior management, check emails, start reviewing maintenance paperwork for day
6-7 - breakfast (although this is just the time for bfast I'd eat and be back to work in 30 minutes)
7:15 - shipwide khaki call (all senior enlisted and officer meeting with XO)
7:30 back to work until lunch with various meetings interspersed
11-1 - lunch block. still eat quickly and work most of this time
1-4 - more work, meetings, etc.
4-5 - dinner
5-8 - work until I can go home, release my sailors, etc

During slower parts of the year I'd arrive at 6 am and leave by 5 pm. Every 3-6 days I'd have to also stand duty in homeport, which means no going home and probably a watch in the middle of the night.

Underway/deployed I'd get between 4-6 hours of sleep a day and even then that was just because the captain had specifically in his standing orders if we were going to get less we'd have to get approval. Anyone who has dealt much with navy officers probably can tell you all about people with my job (Surface Warfare Officers) are generally masochists who like to have dick measuring contests about how little they slept while still working on a million different things.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

If you were serious about "practicing law" instead of "being a lawyer" you'd 100% go to the cheapest canadian law school you could get into, and then take your perfectly serviceable law degree and go work for $60k at a small-mid sized firm, with little to no debt, and you wouldn't be trying to suck your own dick about "T14 US" and "BigLaw"

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
The US company would need to get their state judgement endorsed in the person's Canadian provincial/territorial jurisdiction by a local court, otherwise it wouldn't be valid across the border.

This isn't necessarily hard, and some jurisdictions have a "Recognition of Foreign Judgements Act" that automate the process, but it can be a lot of work for something as relatively small potatoes as unpaid student loans - especially if the company doesn't know where the person lives and can't be bothered to chase them down to find out.

I assume it would still decimate one's credit score though.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

If you were serious about "practicing law" instead of "being a lawyer" you'd 100% go to the cheapest canadian law school you could get into, and then take your perfectly serviceable law degree and go work for $60k at a small-mid sized firm, with little to no debt, and you wouldn't be trying to suck your own dick about "T14 US" and "BigLaw"

This is a good summation.

If you really want to "help the little guy," get out with as little debt as possible. Either retake the LSAT and get into a Canadian school, or go to a law school in a Northern US State with plausible connections to Canada that is giving you heaps of money. You won't even see "the little guy" in biglaw, and you're probably going to be indirectly working against them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Since I convinced a goonvet to not go to law school, I'm fully on board with GET MONEY's plan to stack paper. I just hope he keeps us posted on his adventure.

In other news, I might have finally got a job. I'm not counting my chickens before the eggs are hatched because I don't have an offer in hand, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. If I get the job, it will be in part thanks to me posting on this stupid forum for 13 years because I've been able to keep up with computer & server janitor problems over the years in yospos. managing partner is talking about their new backend for file uploads. I ask what software is handling it. He said "wordpress" and I immediately made a shocked face with a slight gasp. He responded "a lot of people have that reaction - why?" I then went into detail about the various security issues and other problems that a custom wordpress application may face.

The lovely part is I think I'm going to probably immediately inherit the web portal and be told to secure/fix/replace it.

I didn't get this job interview from submitting an application, resume, or anything, though. I got it just because one of my friends got his dream job in switzerland so he's moving in 30 days and they need a replacement asap. They're only interviewing one other person for the spot, but they're likely to hire us both as the project is expanding and they'll need 3-4 new people over the next year at current growth rates.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Since I convinced a goonvet to not go to law school, I'm fully on board with GET MONEY's plan to stack paper. I just hope he keeps us posted on his adventure.

In other news, I might have finally got a job. I'm not counting my chickens before the eggs are hatched because I don't have an offer in hand, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. If I get the job, it will be in part thanks to me posting on this stupid forum for 13 years because I've been able to keep up with computer & server janitor problems over the years in yospos. managing partner is talking about their new backend for file uploads. I ask what software is handling it. He said "wordpress" and I immediately made a shocked face with a slight gasp. He responded "a lot of people have that reaction - why?" I then went into detail about the various security issues and other problems that a custom wordpress application may face.

The lovely part is I think I'm going to probably immediately inherit the web portal and be told to secure/fix/replace it.

I didn't get this job interview from submitting an application, resume, or anything, though. I got it just because one of my friends got his dream job in switzerland so he's moving in 30 days and they need a replacement asap. They're only interviewing one other person for the spot, but they're likely to hire us both as the project is expanding and they'll need 3-4 new people over the next year at current growth rates.

Good luck taco dude

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Needs plot twists.

GET MONEY escapes back to Canada to avoid paying his loans. Betsy DeVos has her brother and the Blackwater Boys rendition him back to the US where he is forced to work as a SAUSA isolating, imprisoning and deporting infants.
After several years he is promoted to the teenage refugee division and meets a jovial, well-off ICE agent with an offer of a lucrative, satisfying second job. Loans paid, a bit of dosh, beautiful wome females, living the life of toona.
Just before the Arizona human trafficking indictment hits, GET MONEY is recruited by the Roy Moore for President 2024 campaign.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nice , Mr. Nice! That's the best kind of networking. The only law job i ever got was going to a girl's house hoping to get laid and instead hung out with her roommate who was switching jobs and needed a replacement.

My father in law is trying to convince me to go back to school for information systems degree but I'm absolutely refusing. My in-laws are the controlling type of people who only give money if they can specify what its used for so he's offering to pay for it but I don't think I'm cut out to go back to school yet again, let alone worrying about who'd be taking care of the kid if I can't be there. I'm really thinking certs in auditing compliance (sox) areas are the way to go and try to spin my law degree as useful there. But since Ive made absolutely stupid and boneheaded decisions my whole life on what to learn im doubting myself a ton.

I can't believe you people compete on who sleeps less. My main rivalry is my eternal goal to somehow get more sleep in a 48 hour period than my friend did - he hit 39.5 hours (sick + all nighters before). Someday...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tipps posted:

The US company would need to get their state judgement endorsed in the person's Canadian provincial/territorial jurisdiction by a local court, otherwise it wouldn't be valid across the border.

This isn't necessarily hard, and some jurisdictions have a "Recognition of Foreign Judgements Act" that automate the process, but it can be a lot of work for something as relatively small potatoes as unpaid student loans - especially if the company doesn't know where the person lives and can't be bothered to chase them down to find out.

I assume it would still decimate one's credit score though.

That sounds remarkably easy considering the standard thought to just leave the country if you have a bunch of loans. Honestly, once Trump gets reelected and ibr/paye disappear, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Americans try to go to Canada and escape their debt and then this type of process gets streamlined.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

God speed Taco Man

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

GET MONEY escapes back to Canada to avoid paying his loans. Betsy DeVos has her brother and the Blackwater Boys rendition him back to the US where he is forced to work as a SAUSA isolating, imprisoning and deporting infants.
After several years he is promoted to the teenage refugee division and meets a jovial, well-off ICE agent with an offer of a lucrative, satisfying second job. Loans paid, a bit of dosh, beautiful wome females, living the life of toona.
Just before the Arizona human trafficking indictment hits, GET MONEY is recruited by the Roy Moore for President 2024 campaign.

I’d read that thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ActusRhesus posted:

I’d read that thread.

Same. And thanks for any well wishes. I'll keep the thread posted if I actually become gainfully employed.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Study rooms, classrooms, and 1 (one) law review office.

Toona what was your job in the military and do you have any crazy stories from that time or did the shitshow for you start in law school?

Sometimes I feel like we’ve only scratched to Toona surface but behind every bad decision to go to law school there’s a story (often involving many other bad decisions— kind of like an episode of Breaking Bad— Like there could be one where Jesse goes to law school so he can rent an apartment with student aid money instead of meth proceeds).

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 20, 2018

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

yronic heroism posted:

Toona what was your job in the military and do you have any crazy stories from that time or did the shitshow for you start in law school?

Sometimes I feel like we’ve only scratched to Toona surface but behind every bad decision to go to law school there’s a story (often involving many other bad decisions).

I was a signals intelligence guy in the Air Force and yeah it's pretty bad considering I was an even worse drunk then. The best story from then is probably meeting a girl at a bar outside of my base in Japan. She acted like she couldn't speak much English but when I signed her onto the base, she asked what building number I lived in.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

E: post is not edit

Ever see any of the Mariana Islands?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yronic heroism posted:

E: post is not edit

Ever see any of the Mariana Islands?

I went to palau once, guam 3-4x, and lived in hawaii. The navy wasn't all bad.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lol at y'all sleepers. 7.5h every night at a minimum unless dogs or kid wakes me up.
530 wake up, take care of morning chores (dogs, cats, kids, bowels).

8 Get to work.Sign in and then leave to work out.

10 back in my office. Push things off to others.

12-415 office becomes too hot to work. Retreat to conference room to chat with co-workers.

415 leave to pick up kid.

Home by 530, do home poo poo until sleep at 10.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Adar posted:

But not nearly as interesting.

Edit: I work 9-5 with a half hour lunch in there. Hour or two later if I have a hearing coming up but that's the non profit life. I definitely bring files home to review too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If GET MONEY pulls the trigger, Toona needs to go back to get his LLM. Can’t let competitors up off the mat.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

If GET MONEY pulls the trigger, Toona needs to go back to get his LLM. Can’t let competitors up off the mat.

Nah, toona has earned his place here and now GM has to go to law school if only so toona gets a chance to be on the other side of the thread

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Nah, toona has earned his place here and now GM has to go to law school if only so toona gets a chance to be on the other side of the thread

Whatever happened to the WashU student who was low-key asking about the tribes of ancient Judea in his applications?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Since this is a thing now

6:45 - wake up, get ready

7:15 - leave for work/7:45 -get to work

Most common work schedule
7:45 - get to work, start answering emails, making to-do lists, checking voicemails, dicking around

~9:30 - start work on any bigger, non-.25 matters

Hour for lunch, do whatever that afternoon needs to be done.

~5:15 leave work/Home around 6:00

Play with kid/chores, clean, dinner at 7:00, kid goes to bed.

On work out days, I go from 7:30-8:30, then I shower and Xbox/Watch Baseball/Read/gently caress around with projects until 12:30/1:00 then go to bed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The "day in the life" things really depend on what kind of day it is. I'm my own boss and the boss of others so I can basically do whatever I want.

Last week preparing for trial, I recorded 80 hours. Typical day went like this:

6:00 wake up, feed kids, help wife and kids get out of the door, SSS

8:30 get to work (I drive, it takes about 15 minutes all on surface streets)

8:30 - 10:30 various emails, phone calls, etc about things in 8-10 cases

10:30 - noon in-person meeting with witness to prepare for trial

2 hour lunch meeting with expert to prepare for trial

2:00-4:00 review depositions and prepare examination outlines for other witnesses

4:00-5:00 finish working on pretrial report in another case going in August and phone conference with client about it

5:00-6:30 more trial prep (reading depositions, outlining examination, preparing voir dire, reviewing bench books, etc)

Go home, make dinner, kids to bed around 7:30-8:30

Once kids are in bed, another 2-3 hours preparing for trial

This week has been less hectic.

Today for example will be:

7:30 wake up (only one child at home currently and she sleeps later), do the morning stuff
9:30 get to work
9:30-11:30 working on discovery responses (writing pleadings, researching privileges, phone calls and emails with client, reviewing the documents they've given me to respond with) and meeting with partner to discuss division of labor in upcoming depositions we are handling together next week
11:30-noon various little emails and phone calls. Also gently caress around on the internet, work a little bit on the novel that will help me get out of this goddamn business
3 hour lunch
Do not return to office

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I went to palau once, guam 3-4x, and lived in hawaii. The navy wasn't all bad.

High five, WESTPAC sailor! Palau, Hawaii, Saipan, Hong Kong, Beijing, South Korea (and looked at North Korea) and pretty much all of Japan.

Also. Thoughts on this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/us/politics/michael-cohen-trump-tape.amp.html

Trump is a poo poo head. But I’m really uncomfortable both with a raid on a lawyer’s office and a lawyer secretly recording a client. I feel like that will get overlooked because trump is such a douche nozzle that “eh. He deserved it”. Which is... terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

High five, WESTPAC sailor! Palau, Hawaii, Saipan, Hong Kong, Beijing, South Korea (and looked at North Korea) and pretty much all of Japan.

Also. Thoughts on this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/us/politics/michael-cohen-trump-tape.amp.html

Trump is a poo poo head. But I’m really uncomfortable both with a raid on a lawyer’s office and a lawyer secretly recording a client. I feel like that will get overlooked because trump is such a douche nozzle that “eh. He deserved it”. Which is... terrifying.

The perfect ending to this is Trump suing Cohen for malpractice.

And raids on lawyer's offices are nothing new at all and I'm OK with them provided there is adequate PC and warrant and they work to protect still-privileged material and use info that goes towards assisting unlawful behavior.

In the mob cases you knew the Feds were closing in on the bosses when they moved on the lawyers.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 20, 2018