Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gvibes posted:

Yeah, I am getting a bit of a late career trial bug.

Trials are the only thing my public defender/biglaw friends want to talk about. I'm betting because everything else feels like meaningless treadmill work .

Somehow they aren't impressed by my several hundred bench trials taking pro se people's homes :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I saw a hundred new posts and assumed someone new showed up.

My dude you should definitely go to law school. It's relaxing and you get laid a lot and they don't care if you smoke too much weed. If you are lucky, you get the hot conlaw professor who weirdly is an expert at pacman and will go drinking with the class to the local dive bar. Then, when you graduate, it's easy to find a doctor to marry so that you can relax and focus on your dream of representing animal shelters in the country.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't go to law school and now I slave away for pennies under the whip of attorneys. My father assures me this choice was one of my greatest failures. Don't make my mistakes!

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Tipps posted:

There's no McGill on there either, so naturally McGill is a poo poo school too, right? :thunk:

No, I know there’s no tier system in Canada like the US isn’t but isn’t it still “go to school where you want to practice”?

First year associate salaries in Manitoba are like a 40% haircut from where I’m at now and barely any upside as you get further along. Bay Street is almost impossible from Manitoba since apparently they have no presence at OCI’s and the Ontario schools dump more than enough grads on the market.

It’s cheaper for sure, and I wouldn’t mind small/mid/boutique practice in Canada, but I am even more uncertain about long-term career prospects in freaking Winnipeg. At least with a US degree I could go to Guam.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 19, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

GET MONEY posted:

No, I know there’s no tier system in Canada like the US isn’t it still “go to school where you want to practice”?

First year associate salaries in Manitoba are like a 40% haircut from where I’m at now and barely and upside as you get further along. Bay Street is almost impossible from Manitoba since apparently they have no presence at OCI’s.

It’s cheaper for sure but I am even more uncertain about long-term career prospects from Manitoba. At least with a US degree I could go to Guam.

Go to school in an Eastern Province. loving lord. If I could qualify for the visa I would have gone to Dalhousie and chilled in Halifax for the rest of my life.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Go to school in an Eastern Province. loving lord. If I could qualify for the visa I would have gone to Dalhousie and chilled in Halifax for the rest of my life.

Every single Canadian school dinged me except Manitoba and Saskatchewan but apparently a smart minority has a bright future in California?

Admittedly I didn’t apply for UNB

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

This upset me. Hawkeyes son. Huskers Bugeaters fans are more delusional than GET MONEY.

If I ever decide to quit my current job I'm going to get as much mileage out of making fun of the things Iowans hold dear as possible

If I'm rich enough I will buy and melt the butter cow

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
tbh I'd totally bail to Canada if I could I don't understand why you're even considering a foreign law school

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Alexeythegreat posted:

tbh I'd totally bail to Canada if I could I don't understand why you're even considering a foreign law school

He already has a lawyers judgement

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Why are we encouraging filthy poutine eating immigrants to come here and take away law jobs from honest hardworking Americans who made terrible life choices by going to law school?
As Canadian citizen(also a US citizen so no visa issues), I am offended by you statements and plan to.report you to the bar. We do it because toona graduated and we need fresh meat, jeez

Canada isn't that great, I got attacked by Nova Scotian with road rage 2 days ago. Donairs are the loving poo poo though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Canadian schools don't want him and LA just got LeBron. The choice is quite frankly as clear as day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've actually heard that it's really hard to get student loans if you're coming in as a foreigner. How do even pull that off considering anyone with an ounce of intelligence will immediately default and flee ?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

GET MONEY posted:

Every single Canadian school dinged me except Manitoba and Saskatchewan but apparently a smart minority has a bright future in California?

Admittedly I didn’t apply for UNB

My friend, you have four choices:

1. Get scammed by a US law school into paying 5x more for tuition than you would in Canada, for a degree that is functionally useless in Canada, only to end up in one of the shittiest, bloated, underperforming job markets there is. The USA school doesn't want you - they want your foreign student tuition. You are a desperate whale to them.

2. Take a year and re-assess your situation. Keep working your tech job and saving money. If you still want to go to law school, use the next year to get an even better LSAT score to make up for your low GPA. Work on your writing as well, so you impress admission committees with your writing samples/entrance essays. Reapply and get into the Canadian school of your dreams.

3. Go to UoM or UoS and start your career path asap. Article in Winnipeg or Regina or Saskatoon or wherever you can get a job. Then grit your teeth and work your mandatory 3-5 years at whatever poo poo job you can find. Once you have that experience under your belt and can prove that you are good at your job, you will be a desirable candidate. Your resume will have the cases you won or big contracts you signed. No one will give a gently caress where you went to school. Get a job in Toronto, Vancouver, whatever.

4. Don't go to law school. Do literally anything else.

The odds of you walking out of law school with your dream job in hand are stupendously low. Everyone needs to grind at a poo poo job and take what they can get. You are sabotaging yourself before you even start your career path because you have this unrealistic idealism about what you "should" be doing.

Take the advice from people here who have actually gone through this. Trust me, you absolutely do not know more about this stuff than we do.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Counterpoint: he does and should go

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

I'm struggling with the EV of a 30% chance of being golden but hating everything and a 70% chance of being ruined and hating everything vs my present course of a 100% chance of doing OK but hating everything.

Fixed that for you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mad_Thick posted:

Are there any veterans in here that have gone to law school? A handful of the t14 schools offer full rides via the Yellow Ribbon program.

The riverboat historian for the river cruise to the Battle of New Orleans battlefield I took last Saturday was an Army vet who had practiced law for 4 years before quitting to tell the history of New Orleans up and down the river, as another data point.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I ended up sleeping with a member of my study group

Feel free to tell me to bugger off, but I've always wondered... did you two ever defile a study room, or were your trysts limited to off-campus locations?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

I have all of this on lock except I don't snort anything and I love animals

Look at this big baller not even denying the hooker thing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tipps posted:

My friend, you have four choices:

1. Get scammed by a US law school into paying 5x more for tuition than you would in Canada, for a degree that is functionally useless in Canada, only to end up in one of the shittiest, bloated, underperforming job markets there is. The USA school doesn't want you - they want your foreign student tuition. You are a desperate whale to them.

2. Take a year and re-assess your situation. Keep working your tech job and saving money. If you still want to go to law school, use the next year to get an even better LSAT score to make up for your low GPA. Work on your writing as well, so you impress admission committees with your writing samples/entrance essays. Reapply and get into the Canadian school of your dreams.

3. Go to UoM or UoS and start your career path asap. Article in Winnipeg or Regina or Saskatoon or wherever you can get a job. Then grit your teeth and work your mandatory 3-5 years at whatever poo poo job you can find. Once you have that experience under your belt and can prove that you are good at your job, you will be a desirable candidate. Your resume will have the cases you won or big contracts you signed. No one will give a gently caress where you went to school. Get a job in Toronto, Vancouver, whatever.

4. Don't go to law school. Do literally anything else.

The odds of you walking out of law school with your dream job in hand are stupendously low. Everyone needs to grind at a poo poo job and take what they can get. You are sabotaging yourself before you even start your career path because you have this unrealistic idealism about what you "should" be doing.

Take the advice from people here who have actually gone through this. Trust me, you absolutely do not know more about this stuff than we do.

All well and good, and completely reasonable analysis, from the perspective of a beta.

Here's all any real alphas looking to get some loving paper need to know: biglaw associates @ market comp who stick around for five years will make $1,380,000 in that period, plus any biglaw market bumps that occur in that period (protip: we've had TWO bumps in the past THREE years). After that you're looking at upwards of $400,000 per year or more until you bail to a lucrative industry post or MAKE PARTNER. How often do you see that kind of dosh up in Canada?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

All well and good, and completely reasonable analysis, from the perspective of a beta.

Here's all any real alphas looking to get some loving paper need to know: biglaw associates @ market comp who stick around for five years will make $1,380,000 in that period, plus any biglaw market bumps that occur in that period (protip: we've had TWO bumps in the past THREE years). After that you're looking at upwards of $400,000 per year or more until you bail to a lucrative industry post or MAKE PARTNER. How often do you see that kind of dosh up in Canada?

These numbers do look astronomical tbh
Get money GET MONEY

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Time to commit. Re-reg as GET LAW DEGREE. In three years you can be posting as GOT MONEY.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Vox Nihili posted:

:eyepop:

:homebrew:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

TheMadMilkman posted:

Feel free to tell me to bugger off, but I've always wondered... did you two ever defile a study room, or were your trysts limited to off-campus locations?

Study rooms, classrooms, and 1 (one) law review office.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Goddamn, Toona.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Look Sir Droids posted:

Goddamn, Toona.

Vets get a ridiculous amount of rear end in law school.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

Haha woo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

:drat:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Nursing school is an option. 2-4 years depending on prior classes in undergrad. 60k starting (~$30/hr) generally at full time with time and a half after 40 hours. It’s also shift work. Options to go to another 2ish years to get an NP or CRNA which is 100-150k starting via hourly positions. Also, options to directly get a green card.

PA school is also 2.5 years and 80-100k starting but those are usually salary.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

You’re like the one-armed guy that spoke at my Driver’s Ed course about the dangers of drunk driving when I was a teenager.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

The Greatest

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lote posted:

Nursing school is an option. 2-4 years depending on prior classes in undergrad. 60k starting (~$30/hr) generally at full time with time and a half after 40 hours. It’s also shift work. Options to go to another 2ish years to get an NP or CRNA which is 100-150k starting via hourly positions. Also, options to directly get a green card.

PA school is also 2.5 years and 80-100k starting but those are usually salary.

There's also NP school. You can do it online and graduate to taking care of patients with hardly a wiff of actual effort, and given how strong the NP lobby is maybe even graduate to taking care of patients unsupervised for 6 digits in a couple of years. Granted, you may routinely overcharge, cripple, and/or kill your patients, but the malpractice and consequences thus far are pretty limited.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Maybe I missed it, sorry if I did - GM, are you passionate about anything legal? For instance, my mom started her own practice in part to work on stuff she's passionate about (special education) and that's been really important to her maintaining her sanity (plus she can go vacation at our place in Nova Scotia and work on poo poo at the beach)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hoshi posted:

IDK I'm on get moneys side here it sounds well thought out, he has a clear idea of the risk vs reward

Agreed

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Maybe I missed it, sorry if I did - GM, are you passionate about anything legal? For instance, my mom started her own practice in part to work on stuff she's passionate about (special education) and that's been really important to her maintaining her sanity (plus she can go vacation at our place in Nova Scotia and work on poo poo at the beach)

The closest thing to a passion would be the idea of being a plaintiffs' attorney. Pie in the sky access to justice, fight the power for the little guy stuff. I realize this wouldn't pay immediate bills.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

GET MONEY posted:

The closest thing to a passion would be the idea of being a plaintiffs' attorney. Pie in the sky access to justice, fight the power for the little guy stuff. I realize this wouldn't pay immediate bills.

What’s your car wreck attorney slogan

HIT BY A SEMI TRUCK? NEED MONEY? HIRE GET MONEY! ILL GET YOU MONEY!

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
GET MONEY, your other problem is you're looking at this like you have 2 options, either stick with your job or go to law school for 3 years. Your 3rd, and best, option is to stay at your job and spend the next 3 years trying to find something better to do. Give yourself that time to figure it out and I guarantee you'll end up in a better spot.

I can't imagine jumping into this career let alone shooting for Biglaw having no experience in the field. If you really want to give it a shot, take another year and go be a paralegal and reapply. If you still want to dive in, go for it (but this will still be dumb).

Plus Toona just dunked and cemented his slot best thread arc of all time so you don't even have that to shoot for.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just to reiterate for emphasis:

As a biglaw partner, I did the following today:

5:00 am wake up
6:00 am train into the city (work on train)
7:00 am - 8:30 am jiu jitsu training
9:20 am arrive at office
9:30 am - 4:00 pm booked solid with meetings including lunch meeting
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm legal work
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm attend business event
9:00 pm -10:00 pm train home (doze on train)
10:00 pm - 10:30 pm dinner
10:30 pm - 11:45 pm lift weights at the gym
12:00 am - 12:45 am deal with personal family stuff
12:45 am - 2:00 am legal work and prep for client meetings tomorrow

I will sleep from 2:00 am-5:00 am.

(Note that people who work out less than me would have 3 extra hours to do other stuff like sleep or bill more.)

Yes, the renumeration is healthy but you have to work for it. Unfortunately, our success in our occupation as biglaw attorneys is driven directly by the hours we can bill to clients. To make more you need to work more. Also, your reward for being successful is even more work. Yes there is leverage but that is limited.

My spouse and kids can go on nice vacations around the world and stay at some really amazing places because of my compensation. Guess what? 80% of the time I can't even go with them on vacation since I have client commitments which keep me from traveling. But to be honest, I don't mind the long hours. I grew up poor and I'll do whatever it takes to support my family.

Hope that sounds appealing to you GET MONEY.

edit:
In retrospect, I probably should have gone into finance on the buy side or been a quant trader. I'd work just as hard but make 10 times as much money.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 20, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
edited out.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 20, 2018

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

GET MONEY, your other problem is you're looking at this like you have 2 options, either stick with your job or go to law school for 3 years. Your 3rd, and best, option is to stay at your job and spend the next 3 years trying to find something better to do. Give yourself that time to figure it out and I guarantee you'll end up in a better spot.

I know I just popped up here, but I've been considering law for a good five years now. My first LSAT was 2013, I'm not getting any younger, and the only other calling that's popped up is management consulting. But that doesn't seem any less risky than law for similar cost.

Yuns posted:

As a biglaw partner, I did the following today:

5:00 am wake up
6:00 am train into the city (work on train)
7:00 am - 8:30 am jiu jitsu training
9:20 am arrive at office
9:30 am - 4:00 pm booked solid with meetings including lunch meeting
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm legal work
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm attend business event
9:00 pm -10:00 pm train home (doze on train)
10:00 pm - 10:30 pm dinner
10:30 pm - 11:45 pm lift weights at the gym
12:00 am - 12:45 am deal with personal family stuff
12:45 am - 2:00 am legal work and prep for client meetings tomorrow

I will sleep from 2:00 am-5:00 am.

Thanks for reiterating, this was referenced before but I couldn't find your post. I'd imagine as a junior to mid-level associate I'd have less meetings and more legal grunt work?

I also only work out for an hour and have no personal family stuff, so if I can squeeze in three more hours of sleep on a regular basis it doesn't sound unappealing.

Funnily enough I've long thought about being a buy-side trader/analyst too but the industry here sucks and I didn't have the pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

I actually do the fight for the little person and access to justice poo poo - the pay is not amazing, there's a truckload of vicarious trauma that I deal with in a variety of ways. Some are helpful, some are not. I very much enjoy my work and consider myself moderately skilled at it. If I didn't enjoy the work I'd have run screaming already.

But it took two to three years working for free, scrambling for interviews, two state bar admissions, and a lucky coincidence of state grant funding and a connection to make it. Past me was a loving idiot for trying this path and did it for all the wrong reasons, poo poo just managed to finally work out.

You will probably not be so lucky. Also yeah you can't defeat Toona's story at this point. I welcome the attempt.