Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Blackchamber posted:

Creampuff is a jerk and a girl. 99% of the time if theres a fight CP started it.

Shes also a little murder machine and will sit by the front door now that shes learned occasionally bugs manage to work their way in from there. Its fine by me since I dont want bugs waltzing around my apartment but sometimes she eats them and thats gross.

Before I had screens in my windows Butters and Fluffy caught a moth from the outside somehow and Butters ran away with it and growled angrily if anyone came by while he was chomping down on it :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Before I had screens in my windows Butters and Fluffy caught a moth from the outside somehow and Butters ran away with it and growled angrily if anyone came by while he was chomping down on it :barf:

afterwards they want to come up and lick face right? yeah not gonna happen bug breath.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Mine will scavenge dead bug corpses, including small moths. :barf:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

When I used to work from home a few years ago, Pepper would run around outside chasing butterflies. She would then catch them, bring them inside, spit them out to show me she caught one, then grab it again and take it outside to eat.

I'd say she's a very polite cat except once or twice I caught her bringing in cockroaches since they were easier for her to chase properly indoors :gonk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bugs are crunchy juicy snacks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are going to be staying about 2 months in the US (same place for 2 months, not travelling around).

The plan is/was to bring our cat along but we didn't do our research properly and bought non-refundable tickets on an airline that does not allow pets to travel in the cabin and checking the cat as baggage is not an option for us.

We're evaluating different options, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a service that will do international pet relocation that does not send pets in cargo and also does not entail buying a full priced ticket.

This might obviously be a pipe-dream but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish mine killed bugs. Shithead just follows behind them confused by what they are and leaves the hard work for me.

Once they're dead he eats them though so at least I don't have to worry about cleanup

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

Hello cat thread, my favorite thread. I could use some advice.

We have a patio that the cats were once free to lounge in. The fencing is secure, tall enough they couldn't jump it, and it's generally wasn't a problem letting them meander out whenever they liked to sniff the plants or roll around in the sun. The only time we ever had an escape was when my dipshit brother left both the sliding glass door leading to the patio AND the patio gate leading to the goddamn parking lot open.

But one escape was enough to put the fear in me. He's been chewed out, but I know by now that my brother is a lazy piece of poo poo and will likely lapse back into letting things open after like, a week. :sigh: What is my best option to keep my cats safe against this stupid rear end in a top hat's carelessness? Aside from kicking him out, which isn't an option as much as I wish it was.

Feels like this is mostly a vent-post, but it's become a legitimately stressful fear for me. I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation and can point me in the right direction. Should we just discourage the cats from going near the patio completely now? I'd hate to take away their patio privileges, but if I can't guarantee they'll be safe, I think it'd be better to make it a no-go zone. And if so, what is the best way to go about deterring them?

I'm also considering an alarm of some sort to let me know if the gate's been left open, but I've never set up such a thing and don't really know where to start. Other than that, I'm not sure if there are any other solutions I'm overlooking but I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My first thought is a spring-loaded hinge. Then yah, don't worry about the cats lack of outside privs, it'll hurt you more than them. Or the next time he does it, throw a bunch of his poo poo out.

You could set up a contact switch that turns a light on inside if it's closed, but it's better to just make the gate auto close.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2018

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

You can also buy a cheap sensor that lets out an annoying sound when the gate is open, thus encouraging whoever opened the gate to close it quickly. But yeah, barring fratricide, I think a spring loaded hinge is your best bet.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our white cat tries to murder me daily, but I'm teaching him to fist bump so it's ok:3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thumposaurus posted:

Our white cat tries to murder me daily, but I'm teaching him to fist bump so it's ok:3:

Mine high fives :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
How do you do this. Mine either headbutt (cute) or love bite (kind of cute but somewhat unpleasant) and love smack with needle claws (by Kitty, who is a tortie with tortitude).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thin Privilege posted:

How do you do this. Mine either headbutt (cute) or love bite (kind of cute but somewhat unpleasant) and love smack with needle claws (by Kitty, who is a tortie with tortitude).

I mean he probably doesn't see it as a high five. But when you pet Domino long enough he starts to play rough and when he goes to slap at me I just stick my hand out and go "HIGH FIVE!"

Or I slap back and we get into a cartoon style slap fight that he inevitably wins because he has more points.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I hold my fist down to him and tell him to pound it. He reaches up and taps my fist and then he gets a treat. Eventually he should do it with out the treat.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Pixel doing his best smiley face:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Tonight I am picking up a kitten. I already have a cat (about 10 years old now we think), but a few months ago moved into an apartment by myself, everywhere I've lived in the past my roommate had at least one cat and Luke has gotten very visibly bored. He has a history of getting along with all the cats he's lived with along the way. I'm familiar with the introduction process, and I'm picking up a 2nd catbox, what else might I need to pick up or keep in mind in the coming days? This is going to be my first kitten.

Fake edit: I was going to get a full grown cat from a shelter, but I'm concerned about the new cat not getting along with Luke and I don't have a place big enough to keep them segregated for weeks. I'm expecting a kitten to be less threatening to Luke and easier to adjust to another cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just bear in mind that kittens are assholes and there will undoubtedly be some hissing and swatting from Luke. That's how cats teach kittens what is and is not acceptable behavior.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Just bear in mind that kittens are assholes and there will undoubtedly be some hissing and swatting from Luke. That's how cats teach kittens what is and is not acceptable behavior.

He has one front leg, watching him swat things is HILARIOUS. Or sad when he tries to do it with the missing appendage.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Tonight I am picking up a kitten. I already have a cat (about 10 years old now we think), but a few months ago moved into an apartment by myself, everywhere I've lived in the past my roommate had at least one cat and Luke has gotten very visibly bored. He has a history of getting along with all the cats he's lived with along the way. I'm familiar with the introduction process, and I'm picking up a 2nd catbox, what else might I need to pick up or keep in mind in the coming days? This is going to be my first kitten.

Fake edit: I was going to get a full grown cat from a shelter, but I'm concerned about the new cat not getting along with Luke and I don't have a place big enough to keep them segregated for weeks. I'm expecting a kitten to be less threatening to Luke and easier to adjust to another cat.

We did the same a couple months ago or so, including it being a ~10 year old cat and a small apartment. You can probably look back to some of my posts, although I can't recall if I just asked questions or laid out my plan.

We segregated the kitten in the bathroom for a few days (we did this over a long weekend for that reason). We fed the two cats on the opposite sides of the door at first so they could smell each other. Then we started allowing little glimpses by cracking the door while supervised. Eventually after about a week we moved up to short explorations of the apartment while we watched on.

We made sure the older cat had high places where he could get away from the kitten. The older cat would hiss and run away, and there was some claw-less swatting. The kitten was (and remains) oblivious, merely wanting to play and explore. Remember that hissing is often just a "hey, you're in my personal space, back off a bit" signal, not necessarily aggression (although it can lead to that of course).

Now, about 2 months later, they sleep together and play together. The kitten still bites when playing sometimes, which elicits a hiss and grumpiness from the older cat. They both play pretty rough, but no blood is drawn and they'll actively hunt down the other, so I guess they're enjoying themselves.

One note: we kept the kitten in the bathroom at night (with his own litter box, food, water, bed, and toys) for the first month or so. Experiments at first to let him out resulted in him constantly bothering our other cat, which in turn kept us up at night. Now he (mostly) sleeps through the night, so forcing him to be alone in a dark separate room when everyone goes to sleep may have helped train some concept of nighttime sleeping into him (or not who knows). Even so, he requires a crazy amount of play time to become exhausted enough to just pass out and sleep.

Our vet's feeding advise was high quality wet food with literally no limit (until he gets older, obviously). She said if he wants more, give it to him. Holy poo poo he can eat a lot. Unfortunately this means he has developed zero interest in dry food, which we have traditionally left out to free feed and tide our cats over between meals. He literally doesn't even acknowledge that it's edible.

Get lots of cheap ball and crinkle toys, ones that the kitten can chase around on his own. String toys are good, but require you to be there playing with the kitten. Also a window bird feeder has provided long hours of solo entertainment for the kitten.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

incogneato posted:

Good advice

Thanks. She is absolutely terrified. I've moved her into the bathroom and took the stuff under the sink out so she can safely hide in a smaller area, and it's not driving my cat as nuts, though he's suddenly very concerned that the door to the one room he never enters is closed.

She's so small, I'm really hoping some food goes into her and/or comes out tonight. She was shaking really bad on the 2 hour drive home and breathing really hard and fast, at least that stopped.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

He has one front leg, watching him swat things is HILARIOUS. Or sad when he tries to do it with the missing appendage.

Okay now we're going to need footage of this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay now we're going to need footage of this.

I can try, but he's really good at only being cute when I don't have my phone ready to go

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I'm cat-sitting my grandmother's new kitten while she recovers from surgery, and yesterday I noticed something a bit odd and worrisome. To preface, I'm going to try to convince a family member to take both her and our own new cat to the vet ASAP; I thought the plan was to go today, but for some reason that didn't happen. I'm mostly just posting here to get advice for what to do in the meantime.

Anyway, last night, when the kitten (supposedly about six or seven weeks old; she's pretty dang small, at least) was walking along with a limp. Neither I nor my mother saw her do anything that would have hurt her, and while at first we thought that it might have been due to the other cat, who is supposedly only like one to three weeks older than her but grew much faster, hurting her while they played, since they can be rough with each other, but not only could we find no signs of injury on her, but she's not afraid of him at all and, when not tired, seems to want to play, both with him and in general, though she's not moving around much to do it. She hasn't moved around a lot since I've been home with her since this afternoon, either. However, she doesn't make noise or otherwise act like she's in pain, even when we were handling her looking for an injury, she's used the limp she limps with when playing, and her demeanor has been been pretty much normal; other than not being as active, she's pretty much her normal self and seems fairly happy, and has gotten up to do things like eat, or to nibble at my blankets and lick me, while I've been writing this post.

My mom was speculating that she might have pulled something while playing around, and a bit of Googling suggests that soft tissue injuries caused by not knowing their limits are one of the main causes of limping in cats, so given the lack of obvious injury that seems like the most likely explanation so far. However, I still felt like I should ask here in case there are things I should look out for, as well as advice on things I could do for her in the meantime. She doesn't seem like she's badly hurt, given her demeanor and stuff I mentioned above, though her seemingly having the limp/not being as active for at least twenty-four hours and how pronounced her limp seemed were worrisome. (Though the latter is probably in part due to her generally being pretty awkward when moving and stuff.) Going to try to convince someone who actually has a car to take her to the vet anyway, as above, of course, but I'm not very worried about her. Still wouldn't mind advice or anything, just in case.

Thanks in advance. I'll try to post pictures of both her and the other cat at some point in the future; both of them are adorable, especially together.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Probably just landed funny when cartwheeling around like a hyperactive kitten rocket. If she's okay with you handling the limb and you can gently flex and extend it I wouldn't be too worried unless it sticks around for a few days. If she's not being as active then hopefully she's resting it which is basically self-medicating for soft tissue injuries anyway.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Agreed, if it were a break you'd know the moment you touched her, so if she's letting you handle her it's probably just soft tissue injury from doing kitten stuff. That said, it's never foolish to be overly concerned. House cats are predators, but they're also prey and have a lot of prey animal instincts like "hide all weakness as best as possible" so if a trip to the vet will give you peace of mind don't feel like you're over reacting.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

When you handle the limb, does it feel as warm as normal? If it's cooler, she may have a blood clot. One of our cats had a clot in his leg that presented as limping, to the point that we assumed he'd broken it. Not to be alarmist, but a vet checkup is probably a good idea just to be sure it's just a dumb kitten injury.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My wife and I just adopted a kitten that had been abandoned at our vet's office. We've had him for three days, and have been following the separation protocols to allow our old cat to get used to the kitten, but I'm not sure it's going well.

The old cat (Calabraxas the Bloodsworn, 2 years old) is neutered, the kitten is not. I wanted him neutered, but the vet said to wait until he's 7-9 months (he is 4 months right now, and weighs 2.2 Kg). The kitten hisses and swats at Cal when we do supervised introductions, at which point I separate them. Cal doesn't swat or hiss back, just backs away.

Am I separating them too soon? Should I allow more time together? There's no biting or fighting or drawing of blood. Should I press the neutering issue?

I'm in Saudi Arabia, so feliway is hard to get...though I do have two plug in diffusers. My food options are also severely limited.

EDIT: I know three days isn't long, but the last time we introduced cats it took about 18 hours for them to be cool...and I guess that's making me anxious.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 20, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Devorum posted:

My wife and I just adopted a kitten that had been abandoned at our vet's office. We've had him for three days, and have been following the separation protocols to allow our old cat to get used to the kitten, but I'm not sure it's going well.

The old cat (Calabraxas the Bloodsworn, 2 years old) is neutered, the kitten is not. I wanted him neutered, but the vet said to wait until he's 7-9 months (he is 4 months right now, and weighs 2.2 Kg). The kitten hisses and swats at Cal when we do supervised introductions, at which point I separate them. Cal doesn't swat or hiss back, just backs away.

Am I separating them too soon? Should I allow more time together? There's no biting or fighting or drawing of blood. Should I press the neutering issue?

I'm in Saudi Arabia, so feliway is hard to get...though I do have two plug in diffusers. My food options are also severely limited.

EDIT: I know three days isn't long, but the last time we introduced cats it took about 18 hours for them to be cool...and I guess that's making me anxious.

Sounds normal to me. Some amount of hissing and swatting is always going to happen when introducing cats, especially when one is a kitten.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tamarillo posted:

Probably just landed funny when cartwheeling around like a hyperactive kitten rocket. If she's okay with you handling the limb and you can gently flex and extend it I wouldn't be too worried unless it sticks around for a few days. If she's not being as active then hopefully she's resting it which is basically self-medicating for soft tissue injuries anyway.

FoldableHuman posted:

Agreed, if it were a break you'd know the moment you touched her, so if she's letting you handle her it's probably just soft tissue injury from doing kitten stuff. That said, it's never foolish to be overly concerned. House cats are predators, but they're also prey and have a lot of prey animal instincts like "hide all weakness as best as possible" so if a trip to the vet will give you peace of mind don't feel like you're over reacting.

Antivehicular posted:

When you handle the limb, does it feel as warm as normal? If it's cooler, she may have a blood clot. One of our cats had a clot in his leg that presented as limping, to the point that we assumed he'd broken it. Not to be alarmist, but a vet checkup is probably a good idea just to be sure it's just a dumb kitten injury.

Thanks for the tips. The limb she's limping with isn't any colder; if anything, it's a bit warmer, though it isn't noticeably swollen. And she's already walking around with little to no limping (she hops sometimes when running and stuff, so it's hard to tell if there's still an occasional limp, or it's just her bouncing around like normal). Since the older cat is probably old enough to start getting vaccinated and whatnot, he should make a vet visit anyway, and she could probably get examined while we're there, but she seems to be fine.

Speaking of, here's a pic of the two I took earlier while checking this thread:

The black cat is Salem, seen here once again ignoring my instructions to stay off of my keyboard, while the little fluffball is Princess. When we got the former about three weeks ago (which seems longer than I thought, but that's what the dated pics in my phone say), he was about the same size, maybe a little larger then that she is now, but has been growing fast. Meanwhile, she is tiny and barely seems to be growing, though being compared to him probably makes her seem even smaller.

(The three missing keys on the keyboard are indirectly Salem's fault; they were a Power, Sleep, and some other stupid function. I never deliberately used them, so the only thing they did was gently caress things up for me when something bumped them or he jumped up and stepped on them; after that happened one too many times I just took them off the keyboard entirely.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 20, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
My little kitten is eating, though we're coming up on 24 hours with no litter box action. I've gotten her to hesitantly bat a toy mousie, but for the most part she's still just hiding in a corner. Is there a point where I should initiate contact, or is expecting relatively normal kitten behavior in 24 hours unreasonable?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

My little kitten is eating, though we're coming up on 24 hours with no litter box action. I've gotten her to hesitantly bat a toy mousie, but for the most part she's still just hiding in a corner. Is there a point where I should initiate contact, or is expecting relatively normal kitten behavior in 24 hours unreasonable?

As long as she's eating I'd say take it slow. Maybe just be around and hang out quietly with a book even, so she can venture out to see you on her own terms. Trying some toys is good, too.

Make sure the litter box is somewhere that feels safe. Some cats prefer covered ones for this reason.

I don't think hiding for the first 24 hours is crazy. Sounds like you're doing what you can.

This is all just my gut guesses though. Our kitten was/is the opposite of scared or shy. I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand the concept of fear.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What incogneato said. Never shove yourself at a shy or hesitant cat/kitten or force contact. Just share space with them for as much time as you can and they'll come to you. If the kitten is eating, the lack of toilet isn't too bad but be prepared to find a surprise somewhere in the room. It can take a while to find a litter tray/litter/tray position combo that they're happy with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else have a weird rear end cat that gets mad if you're under the covers? I took a nap yesterday and apparently fell asleep with my head covered by the sheet. I woke up with a cat sitting on my chest pawing at my face. When I didn't get out quick enough he dug claws into my nose.

Once I came out from under the covers he just walked away content in knowing that I was still there.

It's really cute when we actively play hide and seek. Less so when I'm asleep.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Okay, so I let the kitten out into the house for most of the day. They pretty much chased each other and play fought to the point of exhaustion. Which wouldn't be bad if that wasn't the only thing they do. Chase and fight until they fall over panting...then as soon as one of them gets up, they're at it again.

There's no claws or teeth involved. Not even any hissing. But I wonder if they will ever calm down.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Devorum posted:

Okay, so I let the kitten out into the house for most of the day. They pretty much chased each other and play fought to the point of exhaustion. Which wouldn't be bad if that wasn't the only thing they do. Chase and fight until they fall over panting...then as soon as one of them gets up, they're at it again.

There's no claws or teeth involved. Not even any hissing. But I wonder if they will ever calm down.

are cats won't fix

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cats play, pigs fly, hell freezes over.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ratzap posted:

What incogneato said. Never shove yourself at a shy or hesitant cat/kitten or force contact. Just share space with them for as much time as you can and they'll come to you. If the kitten is eating, the lack of toilet isn't too bad but be prepared to find a surprise somewhere in the room. It can take a while to find a litter tray/litter/tray position combo that they're happy with.

Yesterday was good. She's letting me hold her and purring like an engine. She eats more than my 10 year old cat and is using the box like a pro too :)

Switching some bedding out today, Luke needs to get used to the smell. He got super hissy when I tried to hold him after playing with kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

And the kitten just ripped my neck open, and I might need stitches. A nice three-inch gash. Probably overstimulated from the time with the other cat.

Maybe I'm just awful at multiple cats.