Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roseanne having the normalest one in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Rosanne go on cum town

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess Roseanne is still funny.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

But not, like, funny haha, more like "does this taste funny to you?" funny

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess Roseanne is still funny.

gonna lol when she dies of alcohol or drug related abuse under trump

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

1redflag posted:

But not, like, funny haha, more like "does this taste funny to you?" funny

It's funny like when some drunk rear end in a top hat takes a swing in the bar bathroom, loses balance, and falls into the communal trough urinal.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Janet Reno was good

They say she died of Parkinson's Disease, but we all know she died of a broken heart when the Oregon Refuge cabin wasn't burned to the ground.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
There is a disturbing amount of Branch Davidian apologia out there that goes weellllll beyond "Gosh that situation should have ended with less dead people".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Grape posted:

There is a disturbing amount of Branch Davidian apologia out there that goes weellllll beyond "Gosh that situation should have ended with less dead people".

lol a few of these people literally blew up 50+ children in Oklahoma to get back at the government for it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

LOOK before the government nosed in, the Branch folk were just good old fashioned heavily armed doomsday cultists complete with reports of child rape and underage harem behavior from the Joe Dirt messiah figure in charge.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We had to burn the children to save the children.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

As I recall, one of the more amazing things about that whole mess was there was an FBI sniper who hosed everything up in Ruby Ridge... who was later still active in Waco loving everything up there as well

You'd think they'd bench him after the first one ended in disaster. Also, considering how little it takes for a cop to gun people down now and be hailed as a hero for it, it's hard to conceive of a time in which the FBI using lethal force against armed (!!!) and violently rebellious suspects was considered an outrage.

But it happened under a Democrat so Feds bad.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

-ICE Agent circa 2022

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this

unironically

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Personal interests are too subjective to assume that people value their material conditions over ideology. And besides, if we all voted in our material interests then the communist party would rule all 50 states.

But which communist party? :thunk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah ruby ridge and waco were handled terribly, but i think the oregon wildlife refuge could have really benefited from a similarly terrible approach

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah ruby ridge and waco were handled terribly, but i think the oregon wildlife refuge could have really benefited from a similarly terrible approach

:hmmyes:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

They say she died of Parkinson's Disease, but we all know she died of a broken heart when the Oregon Refuge cabin wasn't burned to the ground.

Never knew I agreed with Janet Reno on such important things

Tarp Guy got what they all deserved and them all skating at trial made me so loving angry

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Grape posted:

Come out, and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The investigation eventually found the davidians probably set the fire, not the tear gas canister

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Astrochicken posted:

Come out, and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country.

fuckin great boards of canada song

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Astrochicken posted:

That’s a phresh BoC track, son.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its a good song

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

ikanreed posted:

The investigation eventually found the davidians probably set the fire, not the tear gas canister

And if there is one thing we've learned since then, it's that we can implicitly trust law enforcement officials to honestly and accurately self-report when they murder civilians, and not to try to blame the victim or hastily cover it up after the fact.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

And if there is one thing we've learned since then, it's that we can implicitly trust law enforcement officials to honestly and accurately self-report when they murder civilians, and not to try to blame the victim or hastily cover it up after the fact.

Indeed, usually in such cases as "random black man" rather than "insane religious redneck pedophile cult".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

never trust cops

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Grape posted:

Indeed, usually in such cases as "random black man" rather than "insane religious redneck pedophile cult".

The institutional incentives to find that they didn't do anything wrong (i. e. not looking terrible, not getting sued) are exactly the same, so I don't know why one (very correctly!) merits incredulity while the other is just absolutely taken at face value. Like, of course the government says they set themselves on fire, do you really expect them to say "Yeah, we shouldn't have used that type of tear gas, because it was already banned for being super flammable. We murdered some kids, our bad, also please don't sue us."?

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Jul 21, 2018

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I read a couple accounts from surviving branch davidians and the most amazing thing about it is even the total true believers didn't find koresh remotely likable. that's not usually how cults go.

the general take seemed to be "man it sucks that that guy happened to be the Messiah who we must obey"

also unlike other cult accounts I've read the davidians seem completely normal and boring in every way. just completely regular people. it's all super freaky that normal people and a not even likable cult leader can go that hard

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow that is the worst cult ever. usually its virgin rape or space travel or something but wtf

"whose turn is it to do the dishes?"
"ugh whatever koresh more like boresh"
"im tired"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Krankenstyle posted:

wow that is the worst cult ever. usually its virgin rape or space travel or something but wtf

"whose turn is it to do the dishes?"
"ugh whatever koresh more like boresh"
"im tired"

oh, it was still virgin rape

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The institutional incentives to find that they didn't do anything wrong (i. e. not looking terrible, not getting sued) are exactly the same, so I don't know why one (very correctly!) merits incredulity while the other is just absolutely taken at face value.

it's easy to have a conspiracy when the only witnesses are the dirty cop and his partner, the personal stakes for them are very high (i.e. a murder charge), and none of the people who cared about the victim have any power or visibility

it's a bit harder when it's a huge national tragedy that has already invited tremendous outside scrutiny, and involved dozens of potential witnesses who might not all be happy to perjure themselves so the FBI can save face

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I believe there is audio recordings of some members of the branch davidians talking about spreading gasoline. Either way it's still a huge tragedy how the atf handled it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darkoni posted:

I believe there is audio recordings of some members of the branch davidians talking about spreading gasoline.

a few different times over a few hours

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They got tipped off by accident, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...m=.cca6df88c5b1

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I read a couple accounts from surviving branch davidians and the most amazing thing about it is even the total true believers didn't find koresh remotely likable. that's not usually how cults go.

the general take seemed to be "man it sucks that that guy happened to be the Messiah who we must obey"

also unlike other cult accounts I've read the davidians seem completely normal and boring in every way. just completely regular people. it's all super freaky that normal people and a not even likable cult leader can go that hard

Bhaghwan Shree Rajneesh blew his cult's own money buying an entire fleet of Rolls Royces, and drove a different one every day. They were all kept on the Rajneeshpuram compound too, and all the college educated people who joined the cult didn't feel like it was a scam.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
watch Wild Wild Country on netflix. its pretty decent on covering the rajneesh stuff from back to front. its also got some hilarious footage of old people making scared old people comments

my pearls!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

never trust cops

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Krankenstyle posted:

never trust cops
police will never help you

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FMguru posted:

police will never help you

Actually, actively the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Burt Sexual posted:

Actually, actively the opposite.

they will always help you

what cops do you know