Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lunethex posted:

So I noticed people earlier in the thread suggesting all those dumb precursor monologue points in Origins were suggesting that Layla's animus can change time somehow. I really hope that's not the plot they're writing because that makes zero loving sense.

Every time I found those things that you give the Silicate to, I thought it was just some gibberish a freshman english collegiate wrote.
It is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lunethex posted:

I really hope that's not the plot they're writing because that makes zero loving sense.
You mean unlike seeing your ancestors' lives through your DNA?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know if the Animus kills her or something but I would like it if Layla is the new modern day protagonist for a while. They gave her more character in a few emails than Desmond got over the course of three games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah, some day I gotta read those things

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nolan North is a good voice actor but it's so weird to me that multiple studios apparently all decided "yeah, he's the hero of our game. No need to change it up too much" - even when he can put out a voice that's not just his own when asked to, e.g. David in Last of Us.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I completely forgot that Desmond was Nathan Drake. Jesus. What a waste of talent.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo that first Aya mission with the Trireme is :black101: as hell. The war drum definitely did it's job pumping me up for the combat.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

qbert posted:

You mean unlike seeing your ancestors' lives through your DNA?

I've been able to buy this. Using the human body's genes as VHS tapes that a machine can rewind and let you relive isn't as absurd as someone changing someone else's history by watching their DNA home movies.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
My bad, I meant changing human history by reliving someone's DNA home movies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The entire premise of Assassin Creed's mythos is that reality is malleable according to belief. It's nonsense, but entirely internally consistent.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also I'm pretty sure from the chunks of lore I've seen that the animus operates on something adjacent to quantum entanglement and the idea that an individual atom is basically eternal until fissioned. There's notes to the effect that they'll eventually be able to use the same animus process on arbitrary objects/minerals.

So, if you follow that logic, if you can read data through that connection to past events established by quantum fuckery, there's no real reason you couldn't also write data.

It's only slightly dumber than that Michael Crichton novel about traveling through time using a wormhole that's only large enough for atoms to pass through single file, and you survive the process because reality is shaped by consciousness or something.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you choose the male protag, the game should have a pop up that says “goodbye, wondrous femininity”

If that doesn't flash up as an achievement the first time Alexios bangs a dude then Ubi hosed up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

Another thing about Origins: I really like the photo mode and how you can see other people's photos on the map, but I wish they had worked out some sort of mechanical benefit. Think Dark Souls message rates or something, maybe a small amount of currency or crafting materials every time one of your photos is rated, with better rewards the more likes you get or something.

I would prefer that this not be the case because the less Online Games As Service they stick in a game the better

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

corn in the bible posted:

I would prefer that this not be the case because the less Online Games As Service they stick in a game the better

This is such a benign version of Online Games As Service I'm fairly shocked anyone would be opposed to it. Especially given that the implementation of messages in Dark Souls is one of the coolest versions of it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lunethex posted:

I've been able to buy this. Using the human body's genes as VHS tapes that a machine can rewind and let you relive isn't as absurd as someone changing someone else's history by watching their DNA home movies.

Uh, speaking from the standpoint of known genetics, it’s pretty ludicrous to have any device capable of reading that kind of past info out of DNA anyway. They kind of covered their asses by implying it’s from reading elements of the genetics the precursor people stuck in humans from themselves, so given their bullshit relationship with time I can buy reading the past by piggybacking off their magic genes. Honestly time travel is sorta on the table already thanks to their demonstrated ability to see their future kinda loving with causality as is, so actual time manipulation isn’t much more of a stretch really.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

deadly_pudding posted:

Also I'm pretty sure from the chunks of lore I've seen that the animus operates on something adjacent to quantum entanglement and the idea that an individual atom is basically eternal until fissioned. There's notes to the effect that they'll eventually be able to use the same animus process on arbitrary objects/minerals.

So, if you follow that logic, if you can read data through that connection to past events established by quantum fuckery, there's no real reason you couldn't also write data.

It's only slightly dumber than that Michael Crichton novel about traveling through time using a wormhole that's only large enough for atoms to pass through single file, and you survive the process because reality is shaped by consciousness or something.

Despite having played like, every installment in this convoluted series, I’d never seen anything (that I remember) bringing up the possibility that the animus is akin to quantum entanglement, but that’s actually a really rad explanation for how it works.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I've been playing Origins up to Giza, going through the zones in level order, and I feel like I've seen pretty much everything the game has to offer. The last few zones have been more or less the same. Are there any big change ups in narrative/gameplay/enemy variety that I'd be missing out on later on? I mean I quite enjoy sneaking around backstabbing hapless guards, but there's nothing drawing me through other than that. Should I take that free level boost and just cherry pick cool stuff?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The ramblings in Origins don't just imply that causality is a malleable thing, apparently fate is a real thing that tries to push back against you changing the course of events. That's what doomed the precursors and is why the new animus is a big deal.

That's actually a really interesting spin on the meta-plot of AC. The Assassin-Templar conflict is all about free will vs order, The Precursor/Disaster/time-travel plot is about the Precursors trying to change their fate and discovering that reality itself is imposing an order on events that's going to kill them (and as hinted, humanity now despite Desmond's actions).

Despite Ubisoft wildly spinning out something that was supposed to be a three-game narrative into annual releases they've actually drawn out the running motifs of the series in a consistent and interesting way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well I found the FF15 tie in stuff. Like the sword and shield, but what the gently caress is this abomination of nature camel/chocobo hybrid??? :barf: I thought they were actually going to just let me have a normal chocobo.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

It's one of the most hideous things I've seen in a video game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DrNutt posted:

Well I found the FF15 tie in stuff. Like the sword and shield, but what the gently caress is this abomination of nature camel/chocobo hybrid??? :barf: I thought they were actually going to just let me have a normal chocobo.

This stuff was hilarious to me, because of the implications that, in the Assassin's Creed universe, Final Fantasy XV is a real event that happened on a distant planet, sometime between like 40 BC and now.

Which only raises more questions about the Final Fantasy merch that Layla keeps in her cave.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DrNutt posted:

It's one of the most interesting things I've seen, they spent effort making a new hybrid monster instead of using the same choco design they've always used.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr E posted:

It's one of the most interesting things I've seen, they spent effort making a new hybrid monster instead of using the same choco design they've always used.

And it's fuckin' hideous. Good Lord.

Like just imagine being the modeler (or team of modelers) who created that thing and went, "gently caress yeah, nailed it!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I assumed it was supposed to look silly, funny on purpose. It’s just a camel with a bird mask and (obviously) fake feather tail, isn’t it?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I wish it made a kweh sound though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

deadly_pudding posted:

This stuff was hilarious to me, because of the implications that, in the Assassin's Creed universe, Final Fantasy XV is a real event that happened on a distant planet, sometime between like 40 BC and now.

Uh, no? I'm pretty sure it's just a glitch in the animus and not an actual historical event that happened. Just like the fights against literal gods.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Mr E posted:

Much more likely they just wanted to use the existing animation rig.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

PureRok posted:

Uh, no? I'm pretty sure it's just a glitch in the animus and not an actual historical event that happened. Just like the fights against literal gods.

The idea that some nerd would tamper with a DNA reading machine just to play FF15 is hilarious like people that put Doom on everything

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PureRok posted:

That's not how glitches in the animus have basically ever been portrayed. That room was clearly a First Civilization facility. And the meteor and XV puzzle wall remain persistent after it's all over.

The fight against a god that I've seen so far was a drug trip.

e: I'll concede that Bayek doesn't seem to be the most reliable narrator in the world, though.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 20, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, plus Bayek actually comments on the FFXV bits, whereas the god trials (other than the main plot drug one) are literal code bits shooting out. I dunno, I've only played like three of them at this point (unrelated: I just beat Origins and the bird skull wasn't that bad, guys) but I kind of assumed that you were tweaking the past by the way the First Civilization nerds talk at you. I mean it's all insane sci-fi magic anyway so why not?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Stupid question about the mummy dlc. So it’s the Apple causing all that poo poo, I assume. But is it just a mass halusination or is it like a tangible holodeck type deal?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ainsley McTree posted:

I assumed it was supposed to look silly, funny on purpose. It’s just a camel with a bird mask and (obviously) fake feather tail, isn’t it?

I totally thought this as well :shrug:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm a little late to the Origins party, but is there an updated list of weapons anywhere? My Google-fu finds stuff from when the game first released, but I know there were a poo poo ton of weapons added.

Also, if anyone has any favorite weapons/suggestions I'd love to hear them because the combat is fun once you get the hang of it. I've been enjoying using the Stick of Bastet and Golden Wolf to kick lots of rear end. Only weapons I haven't liked are dual swords, they feel way too weak on Nightmare with level scaling on.

P.S. gently caress fire Archers.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hakarne posted:

I'm a little late to the Origins party, but is there an updated list of weapons anywhere? My Google-fu finds stuff from when the game first released, but I know there were a poo poo ton of weapons added.

Also, if anyone has any favorite weapons/suggestions I'd love to hear them because the combat is fun once you get the hang of it. I've been enjoying using the Stick of Bastet and Golden Wolf to kick lots of rear end. Only weapons I haven't liked are dual swords, they feel way too weak on Nightmare with level scaling on.

P.S. gently caress fire Archers.

I dont have an exhaustive list but I'm sad to report having just breezed through the main campaign that unless the RNG is kind you don't get any legendary spears until the very end of the game:cry:

Also, having just started Hidden Ones, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't add any new gameplay features whatsoever. Since it's all about recruiting and growing your new assassin group you'd think they'd at least throw in a few of the AC Brotherhood mechanics or soemthing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So having just finished Black Flag after years of picking it up, getting overwhelmed, and quitting, I think it's really weird. It's a game that, as massive as it is, almost feels like half a game. Edward never gets officially inducted into the Assassins, Woodes Rogers is a massive loose end (unless that's followed up on in the DLC I guess), and very little seems to actually happen. It makes me think they were planning on Edward Kenway being the next Ezio but then just didn't follow through on it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrNutt posted:

So having just finished Black Flag after years of picking it up, getting overwhelmed, and quitting, I think it's really weird. It's a game that, as massive as it is, almost feels like half a game. Edward never gets officially inducted into the Assassins, Woodes Rogers is a massive loose end (unless that's followed up on in the DLC I guess), and very little seems to actually happen. It makes me think they were planning on Edward Kenway being the next Ezio but then just didn't follow through on it.

I felt this way on my first play-though but changed my mind on the second. Yes the overarching story has the feel that nobody told the writers they weren't making a trilogy, but Edward's character arc through the game is really good. Him not wanting to be an assassin is odd for the series but he's the only PC who reacts to "come join our murder cult" with a very realistic "gently caress no". But he actually grows over the course of the game and decides to be something more. Also the supporting cast is probably the strongest out of all the games.

e: also the ship mechanics are so good that 5 years on Ubisoft are just gingerly attempting to copy and modify them.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 30, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alchenar posted:

I felt this way on my first play-though but changed my mind on the second. Yes the overarching story has the feel that nobody told the writers they weren't making a trilogy, but Edward's character arc through the game is really good. Him not wanting to be an assassin is odd for the series but he's the only PC who reacts to "come join our murder cult" with a very realistic "gently caress no". But he actually grows over the course of the game and decides to be something more. Also the supporting cast is probably the strongest out of all the games.

e: also the ship mechanics are so good that 5 years on Ubisoft are just gingerly attempting to copy and modify them.

Oh yeah I actually think his arc is pretty great. But it just sort of... Ends. Does Rogue follow up on it or does it more tie in to Unity?

Also the tailing missions in this game were horrendous and I can't believe it took them two more games to realize they should knock that poo poo off.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 30, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

The impression that I got was that they either didn't plan out their mission/narrative structure properly, or they thought "gently caress it, we'll fill in the gaps with a tie-in comic book or novel".

I could start nitpicking at Black Flag, but in all honesty I think there are incredible problems with just about every AC story, its just that once in a while they make a game thats charming enough that you're happy to ignore them. The Ezio trilogy is similar in this regard as well I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah I actually think his arc is pretty great. But it just sort of... Ends. Does Rogue follow up on it or does it more tie in to Unity?

Also the tailing missions in this game were horrendous and I can't believe it took them two more games to realize they should knock that poo poo off.

nope, the whole "america/kenway quadrilogy" (3, 4, rogue and liberation and its various DLCs) are weird beast. 3 is the center story with 4 acting as a prequel straight up prequel sorta. rogue takes place during haythems american years where the templars loving wipe out the american assassins branch and then there is a epilogue that ties into unity. liberation is pretty much its own side story with one bonus mission that ties into 3 in a minor way.

its all a big mess and it didn't help when unity made it an even bigger mess with all the plot poo poo being over complicated as all gently caress. its why they went with origins and are probably gonna try to work their way up the timeline so they can soft reboot stuff.

i believe at some point they will do a full remake of asscreed 1. I have been playing one again and its interesting to see it back when it was basicaly a hitman clone, but also in a weird backward compatible way, the lore makes even more sense and brings up interesting questions. like al mualim goes off the brotherhood reservation and basically makes himself a cult leader, hell he doesn't even tell them about the templars.