Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
of all the apps that windows ships with the xbox app is probably the most worthless and the only one that might have a negative impact on performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NEED MORE MILK posted:

all this poo poo is in pro and you cant disable it via gpo

enterprise or GTFO

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
splitting pro into pro for consumers and real pro for enterprise was kind of a dick move but w/e.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pro is p.much Home with RDP hosting abilities which sucks but that's the world we live in

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the writing was on the wall the minute they introduced the enterprise rental sku

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like, a+ for making bits and pieces of SA less horrendously obnoxious to use, but minus several million points for loving over everyone using the pro sku for, you know, business

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if i could, i would disable windows itself via gpo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Remove everyone from the Interactive Users group and go

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Remove everyone from the Interactive Users group and go

sounds good, thx

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is the second time in as many months that windows mail has just straight up deleted all of my mail accounts with no warning. how the is something so simple beyond a company like microsoft?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao at the windows mail client

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

google accounts or something else? they pushed a bunch of big updates to O365 this month that re-worked how gmail auth worked, no more imap with single-use app passwords

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

google accounts or something else? they pushed a bunch of big updates to O365 this month that re-worked how gmail auth worked, no more imap with single-use app passwords

google and icloud both. it's not the first time this has happened either.

i'm just going back to using both of their web portals in a pinned tab. gently caress it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm just going back to using both of their web portals in a pinned tab. gently caress it

Honest question: why the gently caress are you using a mail client? What's your use-case for which this is the best solution?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy gently caress, outlook on windows finally got oauth2?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Honest question: why the gently caress are you using a mail client? What's your use-case for which this is the best solution?

old as balls mail server with a terrible webmail interface?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

old as balls mail server with a terrible webmail interface?

It sounds like he's talking about iCloud and gmail though?

E: ...:v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

i installed win10 and felt like giving it a try because maybe it wouldn't be garbage this time

welp!!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I’m a big fan of how mail still opens when you click mailto links even if you have outlook installed and set as default

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

should've used outlook.com.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

I’m a big fan of how mail still opens when you click mailto links even if you have outlook installed and set as default
hmm, looks like you're holding it wrong. have you tried holding it correctly

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to be honest the warning sign should have been how it whined about how it didn't have access to my contacts, calendar, and everything else besides my mail every time i opened it with no 'no you can't have access to it and stop asking me' option

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if tim allowed osx to run on decent hardware then nobody would use windows ever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rex-Goliath posted:

to be honest the warning sign should have been how it whined about how it didn't have access to my contacts, calendar, and everything else besides my mail every time i opened it with no 'no you can't have access to it and stop asking me' option

delete your entire ~/Library and try again holding it correctly

(but seriously it sounds like your prefs are corrupted)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

this is a thing that can happen entirely at random after any update

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

delete your entire ~/Library and try again holding it correctly

yeah my point is this isn't the first time that this has happened and, in fact, happens somewhat frequently

so no. i'm not going to rebuild it every month when i can just use the webapps like schmidt and timb intended

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

lmao at the windows mail client

I use it instead of outlook at work and its gr8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they changed that like 2 years ago. ive never had to use an app password with win10 mail

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if tim allowed osx to run on decent hardware then nobody would use windows ever

lol no. osx is trash

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

this is a thing that can happen entirely at random after any update

last time it happened to me was maybe 2016? 2015? years ago anyway & ive kept this shitheap running 24/7 with updates on top since like jagwyre or tyger

ie: yall are bad at computering

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
there was a mailto: link in some email I got and when I clicked win10 asked if I wanted to open it with chome or outlook lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

ie: yall are bad at computering

by virtue of using microsoft's trashfire of an operating system, yes

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress slack and teams, I use cocaine

wisdom

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't normally use Windows, until yesterday when I helped a friend update a video card driver: is Windows 10 supposed to have two seperate control panels?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no

it has like five

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

define "supposed to"

i mean, it has two, the modern one and the one that has the settings you're looking for. sometimes there's overlap between the two. back in the OG release, they didn't necessarily have to have the same values for the same settings either

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you can no longer get to the network adapters by right clicking on them in the task bar. It only takes you to the modern control panel for network devices which literally has zero settings available to change

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NEED MORE MILK posted:

you can no longer get to the network adapters by right clicking on them in the task bar. It only takes you to the modern control panel for network devices which literally has zero settings available to change

open control panel and go to them there?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

open control panel and go to them there?

im pretty sure the question is "why does the right click menu send you to a useless place?" rather than "what are some of the possibly dozens of (probably undocumented) other ways to do this?" though i suppose that the fact that there are so many other paths is equally lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

there's also a convoluted process to get to the actual useful control panel from there, but it's dumb and stupid, because it worked just fine before and there was no reason to bury it behind a bunch of clicks when the modern control panel just literally cannot set things

e: as of 1803 it's one more click now