Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

iajanus posted:

Yeah I get them occasionally but I'm in the industry and have to tell businesses every second day that running a 100 person business with all pirated software isn't a smart move so idk I'm tempted to take the reward sometimes.

But it's office 2007 surely Microsoft won't send lawyers after me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

iajanus posted:

Yeah I get them occasionally but I'm in the industry and have to tell businesses every second day that running a 100 person business with all pirated software isn't a smart move so idk I'm tempted to take the reward sometimes.

Seriously. Find a cheaper product or even go open source, there's no excuse for running pirated software unless you're a former cafe owner who only knows how to save money via theft

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh hey, it's an email from Campus Review spruiking a seminar. Wonder what that's all about?

quote:

Universities are meant to be guardians of robust debate.

But almost 80 per cent of Australian universities stifle intellectual debate by restricting free speech, according to a new survey, which raises a number of questions about the roles and responsibilities of universities in relation to free speech and providing a forum for open debate.

· Are universities in Australia equipped to protect free speech?

· Is academic freedom under threat?

· Are existing university speech policies sufficiently robust?

· Should you be reviewing your university speech policies?

· Do we need clearer rules to protect free speech and open debate at universities?

These questions and more will be addressed in this seminar, hosted by Campus Review.

The seminar will include debate on the philosophical issues for freedom of speech on campus as well as the legal principles behind regulation and conduct.

Huh. This is sounding like something that's come out of America's right-wing culture, where trolls like Milo Yiannopolous or Richard Spencer go to left-wing Unis and Colleges to spew their garbage and then cry free speech is under attack when students protest. But that poo poo wouldn't happen here, would it?

And do you have a link to that survey? No?

quote:

Speakers include:

Richard Fisher AM, general counsel, The University of Sydney

Richard is general counsel and Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Law at USyd. He was previously a partner at Blake Dawson (now Ashurst) for 25 years and is a past Chairman of Partners of the firm. He has been an international consultant to the Asian Development Bank and was a Commissioner of the Australian Law Reform Commission.

Dr Jacqueline Hoepner, lecturer, ANU

Jacqui’s research focuses on polarised and hostile environments, and includes topics such as academic freedom, and research integrity and ethics. Her PhD thesis is titled: ‘You need to shut up’: Research silencing and what it reveals about academic freedom.

... with more to be announced soon!

Okay, these folks sound reasonable. No IPA or SkyNews shills so far. Maybe this is going to be a proper healthy debate about free speech?

quote:

REGISTER

DATE: 26th September 2018

TIME: 9am-4:30pm

:siren: LOCATION: News Corp Head Office, Surry Hills NSW :siren:

COST: $495.00

REGISTER NOW!

Oh, I guess not then.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno this building is quite large and we hire out the spare office space for all kinds of stuff, a lot of it not even political.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I dunno this building is quite large and we hire out the spare office space for all kinds of stuff, a lot of it not even political.

...did you read the rest of it?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

News Corpse diversifying away from selling papers into an enterprise that actually makes money.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I mean, it depends, if they're proselytizing at me about my precious gift then probably not but if it's a quick swipe before going into the surgery y'know maybe someone could be that dumb.

In the US the anti-abortion crowd have vans roaming the countryside pretending to be pregnancy assitance* but are designed to put pressure on women to not have abortions. That's how crazy it is.

* within a very strict legal definition that lets them get away with it.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Crisis pregnancy centres in the US have guilt-tripping women out of terminating down to a fine art. They give out pamphlets on adoption, baby clothes &c, they might have a woman watch a video about how evil abortion is before they give her an ultrasound to show the baby's heartbeat and then go on about adoption and God without ever mentioning that they don't provide the service the woman came in for, or often don't even have a doctor on staff. They set up shop near actual clinics and draw in people who might be too scared of the picket line at the actual clinic to go in. The ultrasound doesn't serve a medical purpose for an early abortion other than to try and put the woman on the spot to try and guilt her out of 'taking' the life of the embryo/foetus. And they do fool people, because they target precisely the kind of people most often having trouble with accessing abortions - poor people with basic education and very little knowledge of medical mumbo-jumbo, young people, people of colour, or any/all of the above.

Most abortions are done early enough in the pregnancy that RU486 can be used, and an aspiration abortion can be done in a clinic in 5-10mins without much more equipment and effort than inserting or removing an IUD. Most suggestions I've seen for adding more 'safeguards' to the process ignore that practice guidelines around terminations already include a number of safeguards and a requirement for the patient to be aware of their options, and instead seem to just want more red tape to reduce access (hint this is why clinics in the US are required to have full surgical and emergency facilities for an outpatient procedure).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

Pretty harsh, but still a fair review of the footy show.

Harsh but fair.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't get RU486 in Canberra so you have to go to Queanbeyan.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah we already have vast distances, inconsistent legislation and how much this country hates Indigenous people (who may not speak English well or at all and tend to avoid hospitals like the plague) without adding bs ultrasounds.

Australia is plenty poo poo by itself without importing more shittiness from overseas, although it could be worth importing one of their unstable idiots to try and jolt the public into remembering what kind of people are in charge; Tony Abbott seems to have lost potency in that regard since he went full RDS and nobody cares what Peter Dutton says because apparently he is so evil that most people's minds will try to erase him. Only conclusion I could draw given how many arguments I've had about why those Vic LNP flyers were bad because it didn't explicitly mention african gangs but guess what Peter Dutton, Federal Minister for Home Affairs who runs ASIO, the AFP, Border Force and more did! But nobody seems to know this or be aware of just how much power he has, which is great for us as a nation because

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Ten Becquerels posted:

Crisis pregnancy centres in the US have guilt-tripping women out of terminating down to a fine art. They give out pamphlets on adoption, baby clothes &c, they might have a woman watch a video about how evil abortion is before they give her an ultrasound to show the baby's heartbeat and then go on about adoption and God without ever mentioning that they don't provide the service the woman came in for, or often don't even have a doctor on staff. They set up shop near actual clinics and draw in people who might be too scared of the picket line at the actual clinic to go in. The ultrasound doesn't serve a medical purpose for an early abortion other than to try and put the woman on the spot to try and guilt her out of 'taking' the life of the embryo/foetus. And they do fool people, because they target precisely the kind of people most often having trouble with accessing abortions - poor people with basic education and very little knowledge of medical mumbo-jumbo, young people, people of colour, or any/all of the above.

Most abortions are done early enough in the pregnancy that RU486 can be used, and an aspiration abortion can be done in a clinic in 5-10mins without much more equipment and effort than inserting or removing an IUD. Most suggestions I've seen for adding more 'safeguards' to the process ignore that practice guidelines around terminations already include a number of safeguards and a requirement for the patient to be aware of their options, and instead seem to just want more red tape to reduce access (hint this is why clinics in the US are required to have full surgical and emergency facilities for an outpatient procedure).

Yeah a bit of the talk regarding abortion in NSW was regarding the seven-day-a-week picketing of a clinic in Sydney. Directly across the road from the clinic, which doesn't have signage, is an anti-abortion "pregnancy alternatives" service. The purpose of the location, obviously, is to trick women looking for the clinic. Picketers would attempt to intercept women, especially women who didn't know much English, and direct them to the anti-abortion place. I heard the service and the picketers had association with activists from the States

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

(not if my bill gets passed)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

...did you read the rest of it?

There is a legitimate issue with academic freedom in some Australian universities. The NTEU have been fighting to get clauses in EBAs for years to protect lecturers from being fired for criticising management decisions, or from being punished or censured for teaching things like "Taiwan isn't part of China".

On the other side of the coin, the Bjorn Lomborg fiasco taught us that sometimes freedom of speech/academic freedom are used in order to promote bad science and flawed research, so it's a complicated issue.

The choice of venue as well as the entry fee indicate to me that this is not going to be a complex and nuanced discussion about the real issues, and more "WHY ARE UNIVERSITIES TEACHING COMMUNISMS"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Don Dongington posted:

There is a legitimate issue with academic freedom in some Australian universities. The NTEU have been fighting to get clauses in EBAs for years to protect lecturers from being fired for criticising management decisions, or from being punished or censured for teaching things like "Taiwan isn't part of China".

hmmm looks like you need some re-educating

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

My professor was taken to court by a woman who claimed he was teaching students witchcraft.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kommando posted:

My professor was taken to court by a woman who claimed he was teaching students witchcraft.

And? Did she win?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The judge recommended she go away and get some legal advice or representation.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Everyone's afraid to say it but I'm not. Witchcraft is sick and wrong and children shouldn't be subjected to it. You get called a bigot for being against witchcraft but it's real and Australia should wake up to the problem before we're all wearing shawls and muttering incantations. It's okay to be worried about witchcraft.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1020135619387768832

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kommando posted:

The judge recommended she go away and get some legal advice or representation.

Aw lame

AgentF posted:

Everyone's afraid to say it but I'm not. Witchcraft is sick and wrong and children shouldn't be subjected to it. You get called a bigot for being against witchcraft but it's real and Australia should wake up to the problem before we're all wearing shawls and muttering incantations. It's okay to be worried about witchcraft.

Lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"But it's different when they do it."

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Welp, I see where this is going to go. Hello new news.ltd punching bag. I guess this will be cited in op eds for the next few years by the usual crowd. Hypocrisy of the left , true colours, militant feminists, etc, etc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Crucify her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Has the whole 'white and/or male privilege' thing done anything but utterly backfire?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Has the whole 'white and/or male privilege' thing done anything but utterly backfire?

It gets a lot of progressive white males laid.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

holy poo poo i just heard labor made a man do the washing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goddamn, gently caress Centrelink's new website.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goddamn, gently caress Centrelink's new website.
they make the whole system so passively aggressively difficult to use it's great i love 2018

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

avshalemon posted:

they make the whole system so passively aggressively difficult to use it's great i love 2018

Is this the one that looks like a lovely windows 8 start screen or have they changed it again?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/21/gina-rinehart-company-revealed-as-45m-donor-to-climate-sceptic-thinktank

quote:

The IPA is a registered charity but is not legally required to disclose its funders and has declined to reveal them in recent years, citing concerns that donors could be “intimidated”.

According to the court judgment, Bianca Rinehart’s solicitors had been provided with a schedule of “donations and sponsorships” from Hancock Prospecting where it was disclosed, the judgment said, that the company “paid or provided amounts to IPA in a total of $2.3m for the 2016 financial year and $2.2m in the 2017 financial year”.

The donations also raise questions about the way the IPA has disclosed the nature of its revenues.

The IPA’s 2017 annual report declared $6.1m of income but said that 86% had come from individuals. Based on that report, Hancock Prospecting’s $2.2m donation would appear to have constituted more than a third of the IPA’s income that year.

In 2016, the IPA reported that 91% of donations were from individuals, but that year Hancock Prospecting’s $2.3m donation constituted almost half the IPA’s income of $4.96m.

:thunk:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lauren Southern and Stefan Molyneux have been sent a bill for $68000 for the police presence for their lovely event.

Lol

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Lauren Southern and Peter Molyneux have been sent a bill for $68000 for the police presence for their lovely event.

Lol

What is Peter doing with Laura?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Stefan. My bad.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Southern did a bit where she went around Melbourne asking people "should we should kill Lauren Southern?"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bandaid.friend posted:

Southern did a bit where she went around Melbourne asking people "should we should kill Lauren Southern?"

How many people did she have to question before someone heard of her?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I only watched a twitter clip which had a few people answering the question without having recognised her, so I don't think it's the super own on the left she thinks it is

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This article just came up in my twitter feed and, well, lol...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz//world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12092445&ref=clavis

quote:

"I don't know who that is to be honest," responds one of the interviewees, which becomes a recurring theme throughout the clip.

quote:

Loudly laughing throughout the piece, she can be seen trying to find members of anti-fascist protest group Antifa — based on people's appearance.

"I think we found a wild Antifa, I think they're across the street," she says excitedly to the camera, as if she is making a wildlife documentary.

She then breaks into the worst Aussie accent ever committed to camera as she is surrounded by her beefy security guards.

"Oi, crikey," she says before walking over to the "live Antifa" members, who turn out to be two Asian blokes minding their own business, having a smoke.

"No that's just Asian fashion," she says, brazenly laughing at them as she gets closer. "It's just Asian fashion that looks like Antifa."

However, Southern saves the most awkward moment for the end of the clip, when she approaches two women who look utterly bemused by the entire scenario.

"Should we kill Lauren Southern?" she asks them.

"Aren't you her?" one of the women responds.

"No she's a fascist," Southern blusters in response.

"I'm pretty sure it's her," the interviewee says, looking at her partner with a quizzical look on her face.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When is Tammy Lauren coming to Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YbOlcpXxb8

• Locked thread