Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

StrixNebulosa posted:

When my grandpa died, my aunt decided to help memorialize him by turning his shirts into pillows. She created at least four of them and mailed them to my family - one for each of us.

I'm not superstitious, but I can't use the things. At all. Thank goodness Dad understood and didn't force the gift on me. We still haven't told my aunt how weird those things are.

There's something just - profoundly creepy to me about doing that with a dead person's clothes. So of course there's a bunch of them up on pinterest.

My mom does this and makes memorial quilts for people out of their relatives clothes. A lot of people like it because it gives them something to hold on to to remember that person. It isn’t for everyone but a lot of people appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

tight aspirations posted:

The BBC article implies that he claimed he had killed her in self-defense, which I assume was the basis for that plea. I'm not sure how the bizzies got there that fast though, even with callerID.

Bonus: "Following the verdict, former politician Bill Mountford told BBC Suffolk he still considered Searle "a friend", adding "these things happen".

Do you think Mountford is married? How do you think it would feel to be his wife right now?

“Terrible news honey, Steve’s going to prison. What did he do? Oh, you know, strangled his wife to death. These things happen.”

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Do you think Mountford is married? How do you think it would feel to be his wife right now?

“Terrible news honey, Steve’s going to prison. What did he do? Oh, you know, strangled his wife to death. These things happen.”

Hah, it's way worse than that, he was UKIP's candidate for a position setting police policy and and priority in an entire county. Here, have him expressing his views on the murder and sentencing: "there but for the grace of god go I". With bonus incredulous interviewers.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

bean_shadow posted:

You know what's unnerving? Tornadoes! I know this even more now because I'm one of those saps who lives in Marshalltown, Iowa which is now famous in news sources outside of Iowa for the first time in probably decades and decades.

My house is fine. My neighborhood has nary a stick in it. Power and Internet still work. Meanwhile, a mile away and Main Street is devastated. The hospital is taking people out to other towns and is doing triage. I was eating in a restaurant. Sirens were going off but we in the Midwest ignore them all the time now, which is disturbing and yet something natural when sirens are required to go off if a tornado goes off anywhere in the county even if we see nothing. There was no rain or hail or wind and then calm or any of the signs except for a dark sky. Suddenly, the manager comes up and goes, "There's a tornado right outside." We hide in the bathroom except I didn't think it was that bad. So I go outside and see this:

It's going by and at first we think it was forming, as it was still swirling. But no, it was just slowly fizzing out from the monster up above.

We have now been declared a state of emergency with a curfew. I tried to go back into the mess to see about my mom's cousin, whose house I had just left barely 45 minutes earlier. I couldn't get to it, too many completely uprooted trees in the middle of the street, as well as traffic, and cops who had started to block things off. There are cars that have disappeared. I wonder where they landed. Another one of my mom's cousins had a neighbor's bathroom scale land in his yard but he can't find his mailbox. The skies turned blue less than a half hour later. As they always say with disasters: The day started off so normal.

If that thing had come out of nowhere in the middle of the night, there would probably untold amount of casualties. I've lived in the Midwest for twenty years and have never seen something like this. Usually there's supposed to be warning signs even if they come upon you. Nothing. Just bam here it is. I would rather deal with hurricanes.

Glad you’re ok! :ohdear:

Did you get a creepy feeling before the sirens went off? I can’t find a link but apparently something about the pressure changes can create a creepy feeling... it’s hard to describe. Everything got eerily calm but the sky was green then :siren: :siren: TORNADO SIREN:siren::siren:

Scathach posted:

Holy gently caress. This is why I live in a state with no natural disasters.

Oh except the possible exploding volcano in our future but we just ignore that.

I think more people should move to Vegas. If you get solar panels that can power AC and a fridge and stock up on water you can ride a lot out

Untrustable posted:

I took a poo poo during a tornado once. Now granted I was unaware of my proximity to the tornado. The power was out and cellphones had no service. I was in the downstairs cupboard with my wife and really had to poo poo. So I ran upstairs and started making GBS threads and then the tornado hit. It blew the a/c window units into the house and took out some windows. Most harrowing poo poo of my life.

Don’t they say the bathroom is a decent place to be since it’s deep in the center of the house usually ? Congrats on the poop! ;)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

And now for a different sort of unnerving. It's probably not surprising, but it's unnerving nonetheless.

How Venmo exposes people's private lives

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Caganer posted:

Glad you’re ok! :ohdear:

Did you get a creepy feeling before the sirens went off? I can’t find a link but apparently something about the pressure changes can create a creepy feeling... it’s hard to describe. Everything got eerily calm but the sky was green then :siren: :siren: TORNADO SIREN:siren::siren:

I think more people should move to Vegas. If you get solar panels that can power AC and a fridge and stock up on water you can ride a lot out

Don’t they say the bathroom is a decent place to be since it’s deep in the center of the house usually ? Congrats on the poop! ;)

No. There was really no warning. Not the usual ones, like green skies or anything, really. Just warnings that tornadoes happened a half hour away and a couple of minutes later we're taking shelter because someone saw a tornado outside. We couldn't even hear it, which was why I was like, "Oh come on" and went outside to look. It was thirteen blocks wide, if I had to guess.

You mention Vegas and that's where I was born and raised. We moved to the Midwest (Missouri) when I was fourteen and at first anytime the sky was cloudy I freaked out but over the years complacency kicked in. I moved to my parents's hometown six months after my father died. I guess his brother's old house, which they moved out of back in November after living there for 36 years, was severely damaged if not total destruction (I can't go out and drive to look, too much damage blocking streets). Besides, there will be cleanup crews and such. My mother's cousin is fine. There were no injuries or casualties that we know of at this time because it happened during "rush hour" when people were out and about and could see the sky turning purple above them. Like I said, if this had happened at night it would have been a massacre. Our historical court house, from what I can see in photos, is pretty much untouched except for the steeple. There are videos of the steeple breaking and falling over to the ground. Some businesses on Main Street are demolished if not wiped out.

If you don't have a basement or just have no time, yes a bathroom is the next place to go. We were shuttled into the bathroom at the restaurant. Men went the men's bathrooms and women to the women's. I don't think it really mattered considering what happened, but I kind of find that funny. I wonder if there are houses demolished with their neighbor's houses completely untouched. The road outside of my house is one where you can come and go in and out of town and there is much higher traffic. I guess all the hotels and motels are booked, for the first time ever I would imagine, with a ton of cars. I wonder if there are news reporters. I'm trying to see if it made international news (I don't think it did because there were no casualties).

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jul 20, 2018

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scathach posted:

I saw two tornadoes in my life. They're so awesome, in the dictionary sense of the word, that they make you feel utterly powerless. If that poo poo turns the wrong way and hits you, well, nice knowin' ya.

The first was in suburban Pennsylvania, about a 30 minute drive from Philadelphia. My wife had just undergone surgery and, in her percocet induced haze, really wanted Indian food from a place a half hour south. She stayed at home with her parents while I headed out into a severe thunderstorm.

About halfway there, I was stuck at a traffic light when something caught my eye. About forty feet to my right was a small tornado forming in an empty parking lot. We weren't necessarily living in tornado alley, but knowing that, if it intensified and decided to come my way, I'd be pretty hosed, was scary as hell.

The second was a lot bigger and nastier. My wife and I were on a short vacation to New Orleans and decided to go on a music tour. The tour started a little late thanks to some latecomers, which wound up potentially saving our lives.

We were in Louie Armstrong park listening to the tour guide as he gave us the history of the various statues and art installations scattered around. The skies suddenly went from bright sunshine to grey to pouring with thunder and lightning strikes all around the area. Once the rain started to get really heavy, my wife pointed in the direction of Treme and said, "That's a tornado." The cloud was nearly invisible, but debris was swirling in it like a flock of giant birds. We took shelter under a stairwell, hoping the tornado wouldn't turn our way, while the tour guide finished the story part of the tour like a goddamn champion. Eventually, the skies parted and the storm stopped. We went back to the bar for hurricanes to celebrate.

We didn't realize how loving lucky we were until later, though. Here is what happened to the next stop the tour was supposed to hit: https://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/08/clean_up_begins_after_new_orle.html

Incidentally, we also went on a ghost tour. That tour was about two full hours of stories. It only went a few blocks down Royal and included the hotel we were staying at. That tour was a lot more fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/how-to-survive-americas-kill-list-699334/

quote:

When a U.S. citizen heard he was on his own country’s drone target list, he wasn’t sure he believed it. After five near-misses, he does – and is suing the United States to contest his own execution

[...]

Kareem now had no doubt he was on America’s infamous “Kill List.” Most Americans don’t even know we have such a thing. We do. Officially, it goes by the ghoulish bureaucratic euphemism “Disposition Matrix.”

Seemingly conceived in the Obama years, the lethal list – about which little is known outside a few leaks and court pleadings – appears to sort people into targeting for capture, interrogation, or assassination by drone. It was run by a star-chamber of two-dozen security officials and the president. According to a 2012 New York Times report, they met once a week to decide which targets around the world lived or died.

These meetings became known as “Terror Tuesdays.”

As Obama was preparing to leave office, candidate Donald Trump was promising to jack up the number of bombings in the Middle East. “You have to take out their families,” he said.

It’s one of the few promises he’s fulfilled. Reports vary, but some estimate that Trump has upped the pace of drone attacks by about four or five times the Obama rate, which itself was 10 times the rate of Bush

Forget politics: this is loving terrifying. You're doing stuff in the Middle East, you're an upstanding citizen, and suddenly, missile strikes out of nowhere.

e: And have some cave terror too, while I'm looking at longform.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/544782/1925-cave-rescue-that-captivated-the-united-states-floyd-collins

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 20, 2018

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Flint_Paper posted:

An ex UKIP (wretched British fascist party, for those unaware) councillor killed his wife. This is the phone call he made reporting this to the police. It's loving chilling how casual it is.

https://twitter.com/itvanglia/status/1019257250580484096

I feel bad for laughing at
"Is it just the two of you in the house?"
"Er...well, just the one of us now."

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

When reading through the Strange Company blog's old newspaper clippings I rediscovered the story of an aspiring phrenologist in South Bend, Indiana that catered to his hobby by robbing local graves. At some point he reportedly asked a doctor if you could get sick handling dead people and got really nervous when the answer was "YES." Not long thereafter his entire face was swollen over and his body was apparently already rotting, apparently from picking a raw spot on his nose after decapitating corpses.

Attendants could barely stand to be near him, claiming that his breath was physically painful upon contact. When he finally died his body kept bloating and popping the lid of the coffin off, even though they tried to put him in the ground immediately. I assume this was a case of gas gangrene and/or 19th Century newspaper exaggeration.

https://strangeco.blogspot.com/2015/05/newspaper-clipping-of-day.html

Henker
May 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And now for a different sort of unnerving. It's probably not surprising, but it's unnerving nonetheless.

I always thought it was insanely weird that Venmo has a "news feed". Like, I don't really need to know when my friends are paying their rent.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

bean_shadow posted:

IWe were shuttled into the bathroom at the restaurant. Men went the men's bathrooms and women to the women's. I don't think it really mattered considering what happened, but I kind of find that funny.

Funny in retrospect, I agree, but gently caress that noise, if I'm facing imminent death I want to be with my husband, not surrounded by strange women!

You mention missing hurricane country, but when Isabel pounded the hell out of SE Virginia in 2003, the bulk of the damage was from tornados or microbursts that popped up. If you drive up parts of Rte 60 or I-64 around Williamsburg, you can still clearly see the paths of destruction. You'll be surround by pine trees, and then all of a sudden it looks like a drunk bulldozer driver went for a joy ride straight thru the forest.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bean_shadow posted:

We couldn't even hear it, which was why I was like, "Oh come on" and went outside to look. It was thirteen blocks wide, if I had to guess.
Lmao you're so drat lucky, that's how people get killed. I knew someone trying to clear a downed electric wire to help someone else and he said those exact words before trying to pick it up with his bare hands

he died

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

quote:

“She’s really enjoying unhealthy drinks and food. I could imagine insurance companies might want to look at her data and make judgements about her health,” Do Thi Duc said.

Or if she had never had a problem at work but her boss suddenly came across this, told corporate, and she's out of a job because it seems anymore you can't have a fun (or at least indulgent) life outside of work or they get pissed if they know.

I have Facebook completely private and carefully add people, which has become slightly easier now that I don't work. I would add co-workers to keep the peace, but put them on a list so they could only see bland public posts I made. If I came across anybody higher up than co-workers, I did not add them at all. Co-workers can just turn against each other so fast. You can't be trusting with this stuff.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You mention missing hurricane country,

I actually grew up in Vegas and was part of earthquake, gambling, and bordello country.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lmao you're so drat lucky, that's how people get killed. I knew someone trying to clear a downed electric wire to help someone else and he said those exact words before trying to pick it up with his bare hands

he died

Thanks for telling me I'm lucky. I had no idea, armchair survivalist.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

bean_shadow posted:

I actually grew up in Vegas and was part of earthquake, gambling, and bordello country.

Ooops, re-read that bit, and that was poor comprehension/recollection on my part. I guess I was assuming "I would rather deal with hurricanes" meant you'd lived in hurricane turf. My bad, sorry!

But yeah, I'll take hurricane country over Tornado Alley any day. Hurricanes don't exactly go "SURPRISE! You're hosed", you have days to prepare.

I've always heard that an oncoming tornado sounds "like a train". Can someone tell me: is it like a "chug chug chug" sound, or a steam whistle, or the general window-rattling rumble of a freight passing by real close?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

the general window-rattling rumble of a freight passing by real close

Perfect description here

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bean_shadow posted:

You know what's unnerving? Tornadoes! ...

My house is fine. My neighborhood has nary a stick in it. Power and Internet still work. Meanwhile, a mile away and Main Street is devastated.
Been there, done that, twice. Once when I was little (I don't remember, but Mom and I hid in the bathtub with a mattress over us, and Dad presumably went out to fight the tornado), we didn't lose a single shingle, but the neighborhood two miles away got turbofucked. The second time was late at night in a hotel on the extreme outskirts of Dallas -- I went to the window, saw the tall Arby's sign out by the interstate swaying like those strips of paper in front of the display of fans at the store, and decided maybe I should get away from the window and close the drapes. The main drag downtown, about a mile behind the hotel (relative to the direction I was looking at the Interstate), got wrecked by a small tornado.

Also one time when I worked for the newspaper, I got sent to photograph the aftermath of a maybe-tornado (we called it an F1 at the time, was probably more F0.8) that went through a trailer park. I don't have the photos anymore, but I saw an 80' mobile home frame and floor, carpet still attached, resting upright on top of a mound of debris that used to be the upper works of it. Like, take a deck of cards facedown, pull out the bottom card, put the rest in a blender, and then put the pulled card on top of the card smoothie. Another photo from that assignment was the classic Snoopy-style doghouse, balanced perfectly upside down (with like 6" of the roof stuck in the ground).

Hurricanes are just as bad. My ex lived with his sister in Biloxi as a teen, and when we took the scenic route through there in 2003 on the way to Disney World, we stopped at a gift shop carved out of a tugboat that was washed to the inland side of US90 in the last big hurricane. Then Katrina hit and took said tugboat back out to sea, and sat a casino on top of the apartment building my ex-sister-in-law used to live in (luckily, she divorced the Navy guy and moved back to her hometown some years before I went there).

Also, fun story, during Katrina, the staff (and their families) of the USS Alabama battleship museum in Mobile, just down the road, rode out the storm on the ship. They figured the old battlewagon was the safest place around. Even nature ain't gonna win a fight with the penultimate battleship. :black101:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
There's been a possible murder in the true crime community, it seems. This came up a few days ago on the MFM Facebook group:

Facebook Post posted:

OP Link

I wanted to share something beautiful with you all that has come out of something so tragic. The Los Angeles Murderino Community was alerted yesterday that one of our own, Maggie Dykshorn, had gone missing on Sunday while out hiking. The Murderino community sprang into action in a way I’ve never seen before and aided in the search and to spread the word about one of our own...A Murderino who most of us had never met in person. While we sadly got the news last night that Maggie’s body had been found, after the anger, I woke up and posted about how much I love my local Muderino community and that I knew I could count on them if something were to happen me… Guess what happened next? ...Well.... for the last few hours I’ve watched as the post exploded into a small movement within our local True Crime friends. Our message is simple... #IdLookForYou.. I encourage you all to let your fellow local murderinos know… that if, God forbid, some day you were to be missing, lost, gone.... Don't you worry… #IdLookForYou

I'm obviously not privy to how any of this went down, but the entire community is really turning out for the family and they're organized some stuff insanely fast.

I know this is just a dumb comedy forum, but goonfriends, I'd look for you. <3

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

That drat Satyr posted:

There's been a possible murder in the true crime community, it seems. This came up a few days ago on the MFM Facebook group:

I'm obviously not privy to how any of this went down, but the entire community is really turning out for the family and they're organized some stuff insanely fast.

b-b-but they say the killer often joins in the search party :tinfoil:

i kid i kid. i'd help search for ya'll :3:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Scathach posted:

Try central or eastern NC sometime. Second highest number of hurricane impacts? Check! Occasional long-track tornado outbreaks? Check! Very rare blizzards? Every 30 years or so sure, but check! Ice storms? Check!

All we're missing are severe earthquakes. So far.

I saw this F3 monster from my driveway right after driving home under emerald green skies. This dude doesn't seem all that bothered by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUjbxrWK78

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bean_shadow posted:

armchair survivalist.
I get being annoyed at my post but this makes zero sense

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Try central or eastern NC sometime. Second highest number of hurricane impacts? Check! Occasional long-track tornado outbreaks? Check! Very rare blizzards? Every 30 years or so sure, but check! Ice storms? Check!

All we're missing are severe earthquakes. So far.

I saw this F3 monster from my driveway right after driving home under emerald green skies. This dude doesn't seem all that bothered by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUjbxrWK78

Nope. No thanks. I've lived in southern AZ, which has 0 natural disasters, and I think I can deal with my WA volcano. gently caress all that.

Oh and I'd search for you fuckers if you went missing/got murdalized/got stabbed by slenderman teens.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Southern Arizona is a natural disaster.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've always heard that an oncoming tornado sounds "like a train". Can someone tell me: is it like a "chug chug chug" sound, or a steam whistle, or the general window-rattling rumble of a freight passing by real close?

freight train

(warning: video is a first person perspective of a tornado hitting, I think somebody died in the house it was filmed from)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwd-0tatdo&t=100s

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

A lot of local Murderino groups are trying to organize memorial hikes for the same day.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've lived in Tennessee for a regrettably long time and I remember more than once looking upwards during stormy days to watch the clouds start to spiral. Also I have come very close to lightning strikes more than once, they are loving deafening.
When I was too little to remember a tornado jumped our house and hit both the neighbors. Now I'm just like, "ugh sirens".

I did get legit chased by a dust devil once when I was 16. It was like 20 ft tall and about 6 ft wide and chased my teenage self around the yard for like like 2 minutes. I wasn't really scared, but it was sort of creepy how it followed me around kicking up dirt and bits of grass.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LostCosmonaut posted:

freight train

(warning: video is a first person perspective of a tornado hitting, I think somebody died in the house it was filmed from)

I grew up in Kansas, and had a book about tornados and was terrified of them as a kid. We moved to New York and I've been safe (mostly) from the monsters since.

That video, it touched on some real deep fears, so, thanks?

Also good god, I can't tell if the guy filming that is an idiot or what - according to the description he was convinced the tornado would miss his house. Like. Dude.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That drat Satyr posted:

I'd look for you. <3

I’d say I’d look for you, but I’d be faking it. Because I’d already know where you are.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

LostCosmonaut posted:

freight train

:stonk:

I’m sure everyone’s heard of the Duck Boat accident in Missouri by now. Death count at this point is 17, and unless I’m very much mistaken they still haven’t accounted for all passengers. I watched this when I first woke up this morning for some god damned reason.

Nothing explicit in this video, but still very :nms: - https://youtu.be/62dAk_ILzjo

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Both of those videos are incredibly lame. It's not "PYF video that is boring for a while and ends right before something happens."

Slightly more on topic, potentially duplicates:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/xtinehlee/i-had-a-stroke-at-33

quote:

This was what I blogged that evening in an attempt to communicate what I was experiencing:

I am feeling strange. My brain is in a weird state right now — a combination of short brain games and lack of memory. While taking on the concept of a brain game earlier today, I suffered a memory overhaul. Now I can’t say what I want to say or remember what I want to remember. It’s just a weird situation.

[...]

When I checked my blog much later, there were comments from 12 of my friends urging me to go to the hospital. "Something is very wrong," they said. "We are worried."

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

quote:

The physical evidence didn’t add up. Unless Greg had been beaten to death elsewhere, and his body had been returned to the room and carefully placed on the rug, nothing about the scene added up to a crime. How does a man get beaten so severely that ribs crack, inner organs tear, and the heart ruptures, all without significant damage to his torso?

xtal has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jul 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Vanity Fair does the best long-form true crime reporting anywhere.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

Both of those videos are incredibly lame. It's not "PYF video that is boring for a while and ends right before something happens."

How did idiot her and her moron husband let that poo poo go for three-plus days? "I can't remember the names of colors, numbers are just squiggly lines, and I don't know where I live. I think I'll stay home from work, today." I understand that she'd had a stroke, but she clearly knew something was hosed, and I cannot imagine being so inattentive to a partner that I don't notice she's lost the ability to feed herself and read.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pick posted:

Vanity Fair does the best long-form true crime reporting anywhere.

What was that texas outfit that had good stuff? Texas monthly or something? They were pretty solid too

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yep, Texas Monthly https://www.texasmonthly.com

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

So, so good.

Also http://www.longform.org aggregates a ton of best-of stuff.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

How did idiot her and her moron husband let that poo poo go for three-plus days? "I can't remember the names of colors, numbers are just squiggly lines, and I don't know where I live. I think I'll stay home from work, today." I understand that she'd had a stroke, but she clearly knew something was hosed, and I cannot imagine being so inattentive to a partner that I don't notice she's lost the ability to feed herself and read.
well she let it go because she was having a stroke, that kind of damages your ability to process and deal with things

as for the husband,

quote:

"I'll go inside, and you sit here," my then-husband said, telling me to sit on the curb outside the store.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

avshalemon posted:

well she let it go because she was having a stroke, that kind of damages your ability to process and deal with things

as for the husband,

Lol, yeah. I also noticed that line.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also, fun story, during Katrina, the staff (and their families) of the USS Alabama battleship museum in Mobile, just down the road, rode out the storm on the ship. They figured the old battlewagon was the safest place around. Even nature ain't gonna win a fight with the penultimate battleship. :black101:

Dude I moved here shy of a couple years ago and was just literally wondering this like recently. Like the ship (in mobile bay, not open water hell no) vs hurricane. Having been on it many, many times before (though not at all in well over a decade), I don't think it actually floats anymore. I think there's a very shallow slab of concrete underneath it and I don't know if it's just used to support the ship in extremely low tides or if the ship is actually attached to it. I'd rather be on it than most places in the city especially those abutting the bay. It's extremely solid. I think a big tornado would do a number but I'm not sure anything less than a cat 5 with accompanying surge would do too much damage to it. It's absolutely huge

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

xtal posted:

To be fair to the tornado video, I don’t think he stopped filming, I think the camera just wasn’t able to capture his loving house getting destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xtal posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

Both of those are pro click.

That PI is some Sherlock Holmes level poo poo. Is that the same same guy that tracked down that dude that murdered a college kid on spring break or something? I want to say he was some kind contract worker who did conference display setups or something.