Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well hopefully more than a month of training will help that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I wish they would have brought in an experienced hong kong director to do the series and fights in the style of a hong kong martial arts film.

That would have been rad to give it such a different feel from the rest of the netflix shows, and gently caress, just put a mask on him and let a stunt double do it (or cast someone better in the first place).

Serf
May 5, 2011

into the badlands manages to put on 1 decent wuxia fight per episode with what looks like half the budget of these netflix shows.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I never finished JJ2. Trish's character made me feel gross. And now I'm just left behind forever as Marvel presses forward with their show+movie per month schedule.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Saint Freak posted:

I never finished JJ2. Trish's character made me feel gross. And now I'm just left behind forever as Marvel presses forward with their show+movie per month schedule.

It was pretty terrible what they did to her, and if you didn't finish it, you didn't even get to the worst parts of it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actually pretty much hated the fight scenes in Black Panther because they were hyper frenetic and featured the mega-lightning fast jump cuts, but I was also sitting pretty close to the screen.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, it would be very hard to do worse :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pt0OFO9gJQ DC is working hard to achieve it!

Serf posted:

into the badlands manages to put on 1 decent wuxia fight per episode with what looks like half the budget of these netflix shows.
AND they manage to occasionally get Nick Frost to come off as credible in fight scenes too!

Edit: Now I want a Badlands/Iron Fist crossover where Tilda and Colleen just absolutely dunk on an army of mooks.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 20, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

I've said before that I really enjoyed JJ2, but your reaction certainly isn't an invalid one.

There's not much of anything connecting it with even the other Marvel Netflix shows at this point though, so don't feel like it's holding you back from watching other things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Serf posted:

Badlands does a lot of exterior filming, two fights every episode, a lot of extras, huge sets, Nick Frost. It's not cheap.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've said it before and I still stand by it, the guy who did the fight scenes in the first season of Daredevil should be doing the fight scenes in every other marvel show.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Field Mousepad posted:

I've said it before and I still stand by it, the guy who did the fight scenes in the first season of Daredevil should be doing the fight scenes in every other marvel show.

Punisher's fight scenes were great, but understandably a very different kind of choreography than the other heroes have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Serf posted:

just make the fight scenes better. teach this dude how to throw a punch without looking like a dumbass, please. that's all i want

I just want him to have a personality beyond being angry and stubborn.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So apparently they also announced Alice Eve will be playing Typhoid Mary at the Iron Fist panel. That's a bit surprising, since I thought they had Jessica's mother playing a variation on her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Having never seen any Iron Fist and only 6 episodes of Defenders, I really liked Danny in LC2

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

yeah season 1 is super cringeworthy at times when he'll just yell at colleen or ward or whoever and people just seem to tolerate his bullshit. like he's set up to be this enlightened monk, but he devolves into childish petulance pretty quick. which could have been cool, since he's an emotionally stunted person but the performances don't live up to that and everyone around him caters to this attitude

he's much better in luke cage s2 but he still can't fight worth a poo poo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Having never seen any Iron Fist and only 6 episodes of Defenders, I really liked Danny in LC2

Yeah he was good there, really zen and closer to the comic. But that doesn't mean that's how the writing team is gonna go on his own show.

Serf posted:

yeah season 1 is super cringeworthy at times when he'll just yell at colleen or ward or whoever and people just seem to tolerate his bullshit. like he's set up to be this enlightened monk, but he devolves into childish petulance pretty quick. which could have been cool, since he's an emotionally stunted person but the performances don't live up to that and everyone around him caters to this attitude

he's much better in luke cage s2 but he still can't fight worth a poo poo

like half the plot of Defenders is about him being too stubborn and dumb to not fall into an incredibly obvious trap.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait what the hell, how did I miss Iron Fist was getting a season 2. How is it getting a season 2? Season 1 was basically universally reviled, I can't think of a single positive review that I saw, right down to the piss-poor acting and fight choreography. IIRC originally all the Marvel Netflix shows were supposed to be one season of each leading into the Defenders, and then Daredevil S1 was so strong they immediately started plans for another. Is it just the inertia at this point that means all these shows are getting renewed? JJ S2 was pretty poor too.

Tom Guycot posted:

I wish they would have brought in an experienced hong kong director to do the series and fights in the style of a hong kong martial arts film.

That would have been rad to give it such a different feel from the rest of the netflix shows, and gently caress, just put a mask on him and let a stunt double do it (or cast someone better in the first place).

I really like this idea, and maybe there's some hope for S2? I mean, I've heard they barely gave Finn Jones any time to prepare last time, and they've got tons of critical reviews from S1 to give them some crowdsourcing for what they need to get right this time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Wait what the hell, how did I miss Iron Fist was getting a season 2. How is it getting a season 2? Season 1 was basically universally reviled, I can't think of a single positive review that I saw, right down to the piss-poor acting and fight choreography. IIRC originally all the Marvel Netflix shows were supposed to be one season of each leading into the Defenders, and then Daredevil S1 was so strong they immediately started plans for another. Is it just the inertia at this point that means all these shows are getting renewed? JJ S2 was pretty poor too.

To the people greenlighting things, it doesn't matter how it was reviewed, what matters is the analytics. Did people watch it? Did they watch it most/all the way through? Then it was successful.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPfCuga5NE

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtrmDhI1LQ

I know you're all excited, but I guess people were pretty impressed by the footage they showed at Comic-Con.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-iron-first-season-two-actually-looks-really-1827712069

Who knows, I sure hope they do a better job this time. They brought in the fight choreographer from Black Panther, which doesn't immediately strike me as amazing news but that movie definitely had better fights than IF S1 and Defenders, so :shrug:

:v:"Oh poo poo! we need to show audience that he got IRON FIST, but there's only 1 mook left."
:catholic:"Lets add 2 more mooks."
:v: "Brilliant."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can we just skip ahead to a Daughters of the Dragon series? Thank you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nah, just bring in Orson Randall. People start talking poo poo about dragons, he can shoot them with magic bullets.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

If Danny doesn’t kick someone through a train this season I am going to kill my self

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

Wait what the hell, how did I miss Iron Fist was getting a season 2. How is it getting a season 2? Season 1 was basically universally reviled, I can't think of a single positive review that I saw, right down to the piss-poor acting and fight choreography.

Ah, there's the hyperbole. I missed it so much. It's like hot fries, y'know? Anyway, I said I'd let you know, counterfeitsaint.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ah, there's the hyperbole. I missed it so much. It's like hot fries, y'know? Anyway, I said I'd let you know, counterfeitsaint.

Not at all hyperbole. Maybe I don't cast a wide enough net, but I don't remember any reviews having anything positive to say at all beyond a few mentions of Colleen's actor. Can you give an example of a review I might have seen that describes it as anything better than hugely flawed?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a shill for Netflix and Microsoft, don't try to logic with him.

You're right, it doesn't have a single positive critic review:
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-iron-fist/critic-reviews

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah I watch every CW superhero show and completely up to date on Agents of Shield. I can handle hokey fights and low budget compromises.

Iron Fist is on a whole other level. God drat it sucked so bad. The behind the scenes corporate boardroom stuff was the most compelling storyline in the entire season. in a show about a guy who gains magic powers from a dragon and fights crime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A show about a kung fu master should have good fights.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aphrodite posted:

He's a shill for Netflix and Microsoft, don't try to logic with him.

You're right, it doesn't have a single positive critic review:
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-iron-fist/critic-reviews

Check the user reviews. Clear majority of them were positive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Misunderstood show, it's not racial insensitivity at all. People need to stop using "racial issues" as an excuse to trash this show. Iron Fist is white in the first place! And he lived in K'un-Lun for 15 freaking years so he is allowed to be good at kung-fu or quote as much Buddhist quotes as he wants to! The show started off a little slow but give it a chance and you'll realized how good… Expand

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

adhuin posted:

Check the user reviews. Clear majority of them were positive.

100% of user reviews on Metacritic are fake.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Iron Fist should basically be Patrick Swayze from Point Break except into Kung fu instead of surfing and crime.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caganer posted:

I think it’s cute :ohdear:

Going with the popular new Krusty the Klown cut.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

A show about a kung fu master should have good fights.
Straight up this. I liked Iron Fist, it wasn't amazing but it wasn't horrible either, and I liked a hell of a lot of the supporting cast, but y i k e s did the fight scenes suck. Who makes a fuckin martial arts story end with a Harvey Keitel movie style rooftop gun battle gently caress

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Iron Fist should basically be Patrick Swayze from Point Break except into Kung fu instead of surfing and crime.

Nah. Iron Fist should just be Dalton.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hoo-boy

https://twitter.com/tsengputterman/status/1020446053059973120

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, it's undeniably a dumb costume, but aren't they kind of connected by martial arts?

(Insert joke about how Iron Fist did not contain any)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Either I'm having a stroke or that tweet is missing a word or two because I'm really struggling to parse that sentence.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
"Never mind that literally nothing ties Karate Kid to Iron Fist; except, I guess, in the imagination of mediocre white men who are self-affirmed by [shows/movies/media] that star mediocre white men as way more important than the Asians around them."

DrNutt posted:

Either I'm having a stroke or that tweet is missing a word or two because I'm really struggling to parse that sentence.

Will this clear the embolism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Andrigaar posted:

"Never mind that literally nothing ties Karate Kid to Iron Fist; except, I guess, in the imagination of mediocre white men who are self-affirmed by [shows/movies/media] that star mediocre white men as way more important than the Asians around them."

Will this clear the embolism?

God thank you. I was having a raptor meme moment and my brain was ticking like a broken record.