Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2tcezGTNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YmLKnUeTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUNsAO96iQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

As far as side story manga go, the G-Units were pretty boring in general.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

As far as side story manga go, the G-Units were pretty boring in general.

I dunno. There was something compelling about Odin Bernett's simple quest for the bitch who took his skull. And who can forget his conflict with his legendary foe, Biggas Rimp?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They look like concept art for SEED. I guess that's... fine. They're fine.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Now I want to hear him earnestly and offhandedly saying "I'm 35."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re-watching 8th MS team in HD and man, the Apsalus can run all the best games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Harlock posted:

Re-watching 8th MS team in HD and man, the Apsalus can run all the best games

That and the medical readout of Heero that's just some Adobe TWAIN documentation always crack me up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Apropos of very little, but my favorite ever random nonsense English text in Japanese stuff comes from one season of Super Sentai where they randomly had text from the English Power Rangers wiki scroll across the opening.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn't care about the live action Gundam movie but now I know it could be good.

https://twitter.com/Cacophanus/status/1018094604900392961?s=19

Flash forward to UC 0093 and Michael Fassbender would be really good as Char, he's good at playing 'handsome, suave, good public speaker but also a complete oval office when you get down to it'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the Gundam trilogy movies still up on Gundaminfo? I tried searching their channel but I couldn't find them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are the Gundam trilogy movies still up on Gundaminfo? I tried searching their channel but I couldn't find them.

Then probably not, they rotate things out. All of Zeta used to be on there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was just looking at discussion of Gundam right before IBO came out, and it's kind of interesting to see some things people wanted or weren't expecting there. Including the surprisingly spot-on "Okay sunrise, here's the deal: I want a high body count by the end. Make it go space, earth, space again, and try to fit a gundamjack in there somewhere." (Mars counts as space, right?) and "Turns out the Iron Blood is Nanomachines."

More broadly, you have things like people complaining about pacifist MCs, wanting a more revolutionary bent to the heroes, and talking about how many plots were just "OYW with a different label on it".

I think the pacing complaints about past shows were also kind of interesting, considering that was one area IBO's been criticized (including by me), because it still has direction when it's going on weird tangents. Like, Dort goes on for five episodes without real action, it has Biscuit's brother right after Akihiro's brother, but it still has a clear point to it, both thematically and practically (as a pit-stop on the road to Earth).

Kinda makes me appreciate the show more.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 19, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The thing with Biscuit's brother is the hook the entire second season is built on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The pacing on Akihiro's brother will never not make me laugh. It's basically:

"Hey guys, I've never told anyone this but I have a long lost broth...oh, look, there he is. Hey Mika, don't kill him okay? Oh you had to kill him. Kay."

The villains being ridiculous animal caricature people that don't even remotely fit in with the character design of the rest of the show doesn't help make the whole arc any less silly either.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tsob posted:

"Hey guys, I've never told anyone this but I have a long lost broth...oh, look, there he is. Hey Mika, don't kill him okay? Oh he's gonna kill me. No wait, he saved my life. Can I ride the Gundam that killed him? Cool thanks."

Fixed because Mika didn't kill him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shows how memorable I found the show so in that case I suppose, since I genuinely thought it was Mika that killed him.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's a small list of who Mika didn't kill.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Azubah posted:

There's a small list of who Mika didn't kill.

And you know what? I'm fine with that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Shows how memorable I found the show so in that case I suppose, since I genuinely thought it was Mika that killed him.

Well, there was a bit that I can see causing the confusion.

Akihiro's giving his "family!" speech, and it pans over to the floating wrecks of Man Rodis Mika just killed the hell out of.

Mikazuki's really bad at not killing people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Akihiro's giving his "family!" speech, and it pans over to the floating wrecks of Man Rodis Mika just killed the hell out of.

This struck me was extremely deliberate. That entire sequence was framed to show that it's pretty loving stupid and hypocritical to do the anime trope of saving your one friend/family member from the bad guys while leaving a trail of corpses that are stuck in the same circumstances behind you, and as the show pans out one of the core points of literally everything is that trying to fix a disease by violently attacking one or two of the symptoms is not good enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

This struck me was extremely deliberate. That entire sequence was framed to show that it's pretty loving stupid and hypocritical to do the anime trope of saving your one friend/family member from the bad guys while leaving a trail of corpses that are stuck in the same circumstances behind you, and as the show pans out one of the core points of literally everything is that trying to fix a disease by violently attacking one or two of the symptoms is not good enough.

Yeah, it's a brilliant shot. Not just for that, but for placing us in Masahiro's position. As Akihiro's all talking about his family, and how they're so good, we see that Masahiro's friends are dead by Mika's hand, and Mika doesn't give a gently caress.

Better, the surviving Brewers join up with Tekkadan and wind up family to Akihiro, emphasizing how similar their circumstances were.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like one, maybe two of those Brewers kids manage to survive to the end. Their lot in life doesn't really improve much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

Like one, maybe two of those Brewers kids manage to survive to the end. Their lot in life doesn't really improve much.

Only one was confirmed to survive, but his life did get much better. Derma went on to work in an orphanage and got a cool robo-arm.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Having finished Origin it is quite clear that the Char we see in Zeta is some weird mental breakdown where he tried his best to be like Amuro but couldn't hack it as a hero so he had to return to being a total psychopath out for revenge because it was way more comfortable for him.

CCA Char is just the return to the form of his early years.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 19, 2018

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I watched CCA for the first time since I was a teenager and my memories of Char and Quess's interactions were way, way off. On one hand, as a teenage girl I totally got Quess and her crush on Char. As an adult woman I am just a little creeped out by it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I think that stuff with Quess and Char is definitely meant to be uncomfortable. I'm still not entirely sure that Quess should have been such a focal point of the movie though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I sat down and watched the Bandit Flower dub. First of all, that's probably one of the best dub jobs I've ever heard, so props to them for that. Second, I remember mentioning that Thunderbolt season 2 felt noticeably cheaper than the first season due to its longer runtime, but the compilation film looks like they redid a lot of shots. I noticed far fewer sliding keyframe images and there was an overall more polished feeling to the film. Also, as I suspected, A Baoa Qu worked better as the opening to this film than it did as the epilogue to the last film. It had more room to breath here and didn't drag out the ending like it did for December Sky.

I'm still unsure what exactly the movie wanted to do with having a Zeon Gog squadron be part of the SSA while still fighting as Zeon. That really served to muddle things when I watched the season because I missed the SSA tattoo the first time around so it just looked and felt like they were attacking yet more Zeon remnants like earlier in the film. Other than that, however, the movie made a lot more sense when played together, while the episodes felt diced up and confusing.

The dub also mentioned that the Gundams aboard the Spartan aren't actually Gundams, but are just GM Type Cs with extra armor and Gundam style heads. So does that mean that the Ground Gundam Spartan type is an entirely separate RX-79[G] variant with no relation to the earlier mass production version?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I sat down and watched the Bandit Flower dub. First of all, that's probably one of the best dub jobs I've ever heard, so props to them for that. Second, I remember mentioning that Thunderbolt season 2 felt noticeably cheaper than the first season due to its longer runtime, but the compilation film looks like they redid a lot of shots. I noticed far fewer sliding keyframe images and there was an overall more polished feeling to the film. Also, as I suspected, A Baoa Qu worked better as the opening to this film than it did as the epilogue to the last film. It had more room to breath here and didn't drag out the ending like it did for December Sky.

I'm still unsure what exactly the movie wanted to do with having a Zeon Gog squadron be part of the SSA while still fighting as Zeon. That really served to muddle things when I watched the season because I missed the SSA tattoo the first time around so it just looked and felt like they were attacking yet more Zeon remnants like earlier in the film. Other than that, however, the movie made a lot more sense when played together, while the episodes felt diced up and confusing.

The dub also mentioned that the Gundams aboard the Spartan aren't actually Gundams, but are just GM Type Cs with extra armor and Gundam style heads. So does that mean that the Ground Gundam Spartan type is an entirely separate RX-79[G] variant with no relation to the earlier mass production version?

I think they wanted to show that both the Federation and Zeon had been compromised by the SSA. That little Newtype cult was getting big enough to subvert the defining conflict of the Universal Century.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's more or less a second production run. Offhand, I think the code for them is RX-79 [GS], as in Gundam Spartan.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's the difference between the gundam and "a gm with extra armor and a gundam head"?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Plot armor.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
My guess would be higher perf components used in the frame of the Gundam(= faster, more precise movement) + more powerful reactor. It's a pure guess tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What's the difference between the gundam and "a gm with extra armor and a gundam head"?

Not much, depending on the Gundam and the GM.

The Sniper II, for example, was designed to give the same level of performance as a Gundam, but without the core block system.

In the UC, "Gundam" is basically a PR name for a prototype next generation mobile suit, usually with V-fin.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So does that mean that "it's not really a gundam, it's just a gm with extra armor and a gundam head" is some kind of bizarre reverse-propaganda?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ninjewtsu posted:

So does that mean that "it's not really a gundam, it's just a gm with extra armor and a gundam head" is some kind of bizarre reverse-propaganda?
It's basically the Federation/Anaheim acting like a 10 year old and going "Nuh uh that didn't count cause this is just a faster GM not a reeeeeal gundam."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Not quite.

A Gundam proper was usually a testbed for some fancy new tech. Even the MK II had the movable frame technology.

It's basically like the Gundam is a concept car, and the modified GM is the production model where you sprung for a few more optional features.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did GMs always have Luna Titanium armour? Because that would be a significant difference if not.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

And like any production model there are a few more generic components shared between different models. That's how you get the 8th MS team just swapping all kinds of leftover poo poo onto the Ez because its all compatible. The Gundams are all functionally unique units thats always been my excuse for why they end up producing so many different additional components for them and there only ever seems to be one of them that any of that stuff fits.

I've also always assumed Gundams got the better production materials like the higher quality armor and power generators.

Also 0083 Rebellion is def a better version of the events, makes most of the relationships more I guess acceptable? Place I found it on only had through chapter 51 so I assume its an ongoing thing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Checked to confirm, and no, GMs don’t get Luna Titanium armour as standard. It only starts showing up on mass-produced suits like the Nemo in the Gryps Conflict. The Ground Gundams have a bit of Luna Titanium plating, but only on a few vital areas. So yeah, that’s a really important difference between OYW GMs and Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ground GM from 08th MS team is the only one that came with Luna titanium as a standard component but even then it was only semi monocoque with regular titanium composites filling out the rest of the frame. Ironically this makes the first GM the most heavily armored yet underpowered grunt suit in the oyw.