Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

fishmech posted:

Is 7 million dead civilians limited? Also it totally rolled through a bunch of cities.

Remember that a lot of places in say, World War II only had the armies march through wreaking havoc once, maybe twice, as the war washed over that area and then through the duration you might catch a few stray bombs meant for somewhere else. You then died because of shortages, of being called forward because it was decided you were going to either fight or haul supplies to the people fighting and you didn't have a say, etc. Exact same thing happens in WWI.

And that's before you get to the populations worn down by 4 years of war getting massively owned by an influenza pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

Maybe it's hugely different in the humanities
It is, I've never heard about publication fees.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ainsley McTree posted:

Has the “what if centaurs had muskets” premise been mined yet? Because I have an idea (it’s centaurs with muskets)

Would they be dragoons or cavalry? What if dragoons rode into battle on their backs?

So many questions!!!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tevery Best posted:

What about Xenophon? He seems pretty into the idea that the Spartans are different, and he lived with them for many years.

He doesn't say they particularly train for war, though. The only thing he says about Spartan children and military is that they're encouraged to steal food and beaten if they're caught, which he thinks trains them to be scouts. As for Spartan men, he says that what they're really obsessed with is hunting. When he talks about the Spartan army, he says what makes them good, is, first, that they're better at logistics and supplying their troops, and second, is that they use simple tactics, so the soldier doesn't have to be well trained to understand it, and finally that the Spartan way of life encourages them to be brave and care about other Spartans, which strengthens them on the battlefield and makes them less likely to run.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Taerkar posted:

Would they be dragoons or cavalry? What if dragoons rode into battle on their backs?

So many questions!!!

The real benefit of them as dragoons is they're horses that can look after themselves. Also if the guys are bantam sized they could probably get 2 voltigeurs on them!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

So many questions!!!

Using them as dragoons with a dragoon on their back means you get twice as much firepower for your buck, and the dragoons can even lay down some fire as the centaurs charge to give their enemy cold steel.

Really I'm not seeing downsides here, sounds like they would be one hell of a world beater.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Supporting a centaur army would probably be a logistical nightmare

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You'd have to make sure they don't pick up VD from the baggage train/camp followers AND make sure they don't get colic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stairmaster posted:

do they eat fodder or just like people stuff.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

Using them as dragoons with a dragoon on their back means you get twice as much firepower for your buck, and the dragoons can even lay down some fire as the centaurs charge to give their enemy cold steel.

Really I'm not seeing downsides here, sounds like they would be one hell of a world beater.

Even better than that since you don't need 25% of your force to stay back and hold the horses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milo and POTUS posted:

do they eat fodder or just like people stuff.

If you go by the myths, they mainly subsist on wine.

And rape. Centaurs in Greek myth pretty much always mean rape.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cythereal posted:

If you go by the myths, they mainly subsist on wine.

And rape. Centaurs in Greek myth pretty much always mean rape.

Ah, so they could pull double duty on ships as marines

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Even better than that since you don't need 25% of your force to stay back and hold the horses.

*weakly sweeps hand across table, struggling to knock off lightest objects* Nobody listening to a god drat thing I say.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Do you put a human on the centaur or is the centaur itself a one-centaur chasseur? Can you then use it to transport pikemen or other foot infantry to where they are needed on the battlefield?

Centaur dragoons would be pretty good. They could carry a infantryman, who would then dismount to fight with the centaur. Like a regular dragoon, but the mount also fights. :thunk:

e: f,b

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HEY GUNS posted:

It is, I've never heard about publication fees.

I was going to say, something seemed weird because "nonprofits run by a few people" DEFINITELY doesn't describe any publisher I've ever interacted with or been around interaction with. "Run for a few people" maybe. It sounds nice in humanities.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

I was going to say, something seemed weird because "nonprofits run by a few people" DEFINITELY doesn't describe any publisher I've ever interacted with or been around interaction with. "Run for a few people" maybe. It sounds nice in humanities.
(1) springer and a bunch of other consortia have gobbled lots of these little guys up
(2) the few people who run the thing are all old as poo poo so your submission might be delayed for a while while the lead dude has surgery (this happened to me)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do the humanities have those slick online submission systems with the horridly specific formatting requirements? I have spent so many hours poring over authors' instructions figuring out whether or not there needs to be a conclusions section after the discussion, or if the first section of the abstract should be named Aim or Background, and if the tables go at the end of the manuscript, in seperate files, or, very kinky, right in the text, and if it turns out that in history you can just email a dude a docx I might have a breakdown

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nobody ever talks about the Chasseur Centaurs.

Beautiful human warhorses!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Baranov's pocket mortar

Queue: Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer", Soviet tank winter camo, Semovente L40 da 47/32, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25, 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
SU-152 combat debut
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projectsNEW

:britain:
Archer

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Panther trials in the USSR
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles NEW

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/1020718427479175168

Get the real DDay paratrooper experience

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm at my parents' place, cooking dinner for myself because the dinner Dad cooked for the rest of the family is something I don't like, and my father and I were discussing the proper way to cook a steak. We both use variants of the Alton Brown method (get a cast-iron skillet as hot as youi can, sear both sides, then plonk it in the preheated oven set to max temp until it's cooked to your taste). He prefers well-done, but he's allowed -- in wilderness survival/escape and evade training in North Carolina, and then the real thing in the jungles of Vietnam, he's had more than his fair share of uncooked meat. "They called us 'snake-eaters' for a reason," was his parting shot as he left the kitchen.

("Snake's not too bad, if you boil it for awhile to get all the oil out of it.")

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

*sigh*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pg2XoQTlA

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The video on its own would've been a good joke, but this confuses me. And yes, I've watched Chip and Ironicus play MGS3, I get the reference.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Stairmaster posted:

Noted authority on equanthropic logistics C. S. Lewis wrote that asking a centaur to breakfast is as really bad idea; it taskes hours to fill both stomachs...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

speaking of civilian casualties, is there any sort of approximate death count for sherman's march? i know it wasnt nearly as bad as people say but idk if it caused serious famine. suppose the same goes for sheridan's valley campaign, though no one remembers that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of civilian casualties, is there any sort of approximate death count for sherman's march? i know it wasnt nearly as bad as people say but idk if it caused serious famine. suppose the same goes for sheridan's valley campaign, though no one remembers that

The closest I've seen to a reliable count is estimates that the civilians who can be said to have died from it would be no more than 3000 if you were really trying to total things up, and likely a thousand or less. Many of the associated deaths were from local residents who decided they might as well become camp followers, especially former slaves, who were not provisioned by the Army on the way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chillbro Baggins posted:

The video on its own would've been a good joke, but this confuses me. And yes, I've watched Chip and Ironicus play MGS3, I get the reference.
I didn't mean it as a dig, sorry. It just seemed too obvious to leave out so I felt like I had to step in, even though anyone on the Internet today would go "haha snake eateeer" without having to hear the song.

Memes, you know how it is.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

People act like Atlanta was some kind of national treasure that was cruelly sacked, looted, and pillaged in its prime, when it was a dumpy warehouse town that wasn't even 2nd-largest in Georgia. There's so much bullshit tied up around the March to the Sea that it leaves me flabbergasted. "Native Atlantans" occasionally show up in threads and start recounting the family legacy of surviving Atlanta, in the same conversation as 30YW Magdeburg or loving Hiroshima. It's wild.

I'm of the opinion that more people died of starvation in North Virginia than the March to the Sea. Surely, 4 years of massive armies traipsing back and forth over 50 square miles of land did more damage to the land than a few weeks of Sherman burning cotton stocks and plantation houses.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

People act like Atlanta was some kind of national treasure that was cruelly sacked, looted, and pillaged in its prime, when it was a dumpy warehouse town that wasn't even 2nd-largest in Georgia. There's so much bullshit tied up around the March to the Sea that it leaves me flabbergasted. "Native Atlantans" occasionally show up in threads and start recounting the family legacy of surviving Atlanta, in the same conversation as 30YW Magdeburg or loving Hiroshima. It's wild.

I'm of the opinion that more people died of starvation in North Virginia than the March to the Sea. Surely, 4 years of massive armies traipsing back and forth over 50 square miles of land did more damage to the land than a few weeks of Sherman burning cotton stocks and plantation houses.

Mobile had like 3x the population of Atlanta in 1860. Granted it was a port city, but still I agree with you.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I think the biggest benefit of centaurs would actually be logistical.

Centaurs would probably eat more or less like a horse, maybe with a little protein thrown in (because they're also dudes). However, they can perform all the duties of a horse, but also all the duties of a man. Crucially, they can take care of themselves, so you don't need to waste manpower (which also needs to be fed and taken care of) on minding them.

The logistical footprint of a centaur is less than a horse and slightly more than a guy, but you get something that can perform the job of both.

This isn't even going into the tactical possibilities (a centaur flying battery?) of centaurs.

Why can't I stop thinking about centaurs in Napoleonic warfare? Help.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 22, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They make the centaurs graze but the it's hell on their lower (upper) human backs. They drink a lot to cope.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

They can't effectively chew hay like horses do with human teeth even if the intestines were horse-like. This would result in less calories taken from same amount of hay. And the calory requirement would be greater than that of a horse because not only you have all the muscles of a horse minus the head, you also have the upper limbs of a man and very importantly also a human sized brain which needs plenty of energy compared to a horsey. Solution could be in fruits and roots that man can chew and horse intestines process, like apples, carrots and cabbages. Dietary supplements might be needed according to veterinarian's recommendations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're pretty good at foraging in orchards is all I'm hearing where a normal guy would need a ladder

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What if the centaurs are carnivores?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

they can take care of themselves

Not really no. They've got human-length arms attached to their human shoulders, meaning anything behind the forelegs is forever out of reach. Think that spot on your back you can never scratch, except it's 2/3rds of your body.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Not really no. They've got human-length arms attached to their human shoulders, meaning anything behind the forelegs is forever out of reach. Think that spot on your back you can never scratch, except it's 2/3rds of your body.

No wonder then that centaurs have been depicted as rape-happy, imagine the constant urges if human males had t-rex arms!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

they could brush and curry each other :3:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

they could brush and curry each other :3:

Turn themselves into a delicious Indian main course?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

What if the centaurs are carnivores?

They may have a human stomach rather than a horse stomach, in which case they could eat meat but they would have to eat a great deal of it because the average horse needs 13,000 calories a day to live. They'd probably seek out calorie-dense, nutrient-dense foods like fat and organ meat.

so it's possible they have to be carnivorous.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 22, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HEY GUNS posted:

They may have a human stomach rather than a horse stomach, in which case they could eat meat but they would have to eat a great deal of it because the average horse needs 13,000 calories a day to live. They'd probably seek out calorie-dense, nutrient-dense foods like fat and organ meat.

Did centaurs exist before the mares (the herculean ones)?

Kinda on topic, I've heard horses are way more likely to eat meat than their usual diet lets on. Like those deer that were eating people in the human farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You know it'd break down because the other fantasy Napoleonic soldiers would not be able resist the lure of just piling more and more of their loot and camp junk on their backs past regulation limit.