Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

purple death ray posted:

That's old school Superman right there, that's a bluff out of George Reeves' playbook.

I don't recall it working the last time he tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

I don't recall it working the last time he tried it.
Too soon, man. Too soon.
Ok, I laughed.

Regular old-school Superman would have been in danger, though. That mugger might have thrown his gun at Superman, and without super-speed to duck, it might have crippled or killed him.

After all, in those George Reeves episodes, a thug would empty his revolver at Superman, who didn’t flinch, but when the thug ran dry, he threw the gun at Superman, who would duck in fear like a little bitch.

Maybe he thinks all guns are deadly since Luthor tried killing him with a Kryptonite gun or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Didn’t they decide that Superman’s costume was invulnerable? I mean, clearly Superman put his life at risk, if the gunman decided to shoot him in his face.

That suit, the Kryptonian armor, was destroyed. This was a new suit. They shortly forgot about that detail though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That scene was good enough that they ripped it wholesale and used it in the best episode of the first season of Supergirl

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The idea behind that scene has been used several times before that

Adv of Superman 472 - "Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite"

Superman has been rendered powerless but can't stand by while Mammoth wrecks the city

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They also did it on the Weird Science TV show that probably only I remember.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I remember Vanessa Angel.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gavok posted:

I remember an 11 year old me seeing bits and pieces on USA and being disappointed it was lighter on skimpily clad women than i was hoping. It certainly wasn’t a Silk Stalkings or Pacific Blue, or even a Renegade!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Maybe I'm just an old softey, but I prefer Superman showing us that he's a super Man to showing us he's a Superman. That his whole purpose is to be inspiring us and popping up in this thread. DC has a really bad habit of assigning writers that don't get that about him *coughmoviescough* and he becomes infinitely less watchable.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So wait, why did Mammoth freak out after focusing on Superman's torn suit?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So wait, why did Mammoth freak out after focusing on Superman's torn suit?

It's not the tears, it's the symbol. It's an "Oh poo poo, I'm gonna fight SUPERMAN?!?" reaction.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Weird how they only ever seem to have that reaction when he's been depowered and they could actually kill him; when he's in regular shape they're more than happy to slam their faces into his fists.:downs:

I know, I know, comic books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Superman has been rendered powerless but can't stand by while Mammoth wrecks the city

Mammoth runs really fuckin' slow.

Gavok posted:

I remember watching it and

Rhyno posted:

I remember Vanessa Angel.
but that's about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Weird how they only ever seem to have that reaction when he's been depowered and they could actually kill him; when he's in regular shape they're more than happy to slam their faces into his fists.:downs:

I know, I know, comic books.

That'd be a decent comic page or two, where he's still invincible but knows the bullet might ricochet and hurt someone else.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

That'd be a decent comic page or two, where he's still invincible but knows the bullet might ricochet and hurt someone else.

Injustice did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Good job threatening to murder that mentally handicapped guy, Superman?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lurdiak posted:

Good job threatening to murder that mentally handicapped guy, Superman?

Yeah you’re right , it would have been better to beat him up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

DC has a really bad habit of assigning writers that don't get that about him *coughmoviescough* and he becomes infinitely less watchable.

The movies get him just fine, friend. He may not be the silver age father figure comic book fans yearn for, but that's part of the appeal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

The movies get him just fine, friend. He may not be the silver age father figure comic book fans yearn for, but that's part of the appeal.

*sighing, unsheathes my katana* OK, I'll bite: What about him do you think the movies capture the essence of, and how do you justify that after the majority seem to feel the portrayal lacks key signifiers of the character?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

*sighing, unsheathes my katana* OK, I'll bite: What about him do you think the movies capture the essence of, and how do you justify that after the majority seem to feel the portrayal lacks key signifiers of the character?

Assuming we're talking about Snyder-man here,
The essence of Superman is actually a very simple one. Powerful God-like being uses his powers to protect the weak, despite the difficulties and sacrifices he has to make to do so. The man flies, is strong, he has a cape and an S, and he saves the world. That's the core of Superman. A man with great powers with humble upbringing who does good. This core is intact in the movies.

Why "fans" are upset about the movie usually comes down to this version of Superman not matching up with the idea they have of him as a father figure that will always "find a way" and reassure them with a warm friendly smile. A superman that causes collateral damage and has to resort to lethal violence is anathema in their mind (doubly hilarious because the "real" superman in the comic books has done the same).

But the long and short of it is that fans are whiny babies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Fans are whiny babies" says the guy who can't shut the gently caress up about Man of Steel any time someone impugns Zach Snyder's honor on the internet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorry. We're not moving Man of Steel discussion to another thread to try to get around the rules of the movie thread. Consider this the end of that conversation.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Lol I also require my idealistic escapist fiction to have gritty, real world consequences.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Adult Illiteracy posted:

Lol I also require my idealistic escapist fiction to have gritty, real world consequences.

gently caress Batman!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

gently caress Batman!

Marry Superman
Kill Green Lantern

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Woodchuck suggested it in funny panels

brain drain killing it, today's usg

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Super Sons #9

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Source: Daredevil #28

I always enjoy humanising moments in my heroes.
Dude literally cannot loving stand to be in that room, but his best friend needs him... so..

Daredevil

The man without fear

:unsmith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/jdebbiel/status/1035197938127986688

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ooof too close :smith:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My grandmother passed away this month and that comic is just... too close.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Lost my grandmother last year around this time. she was in egypt a few years before and no one caught that she had a stroke, which lead to onset dementia. By the end of it she couldn't recognize me, she couldn't speak English and because I'd always been a failure at learning language I couldn't speak or understand Arabic. Every moment I thought of not going to her place after Uni because I didn't want to ride home in a smelly van, and because I was such a poo poo who didn't want to have to sit in a place with no internet for what, a few hours maybe? Like it would have loving killed me.

Then half a year later I lost my dad.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
But they always fumble again because they need to make more comics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samuringa posted:

But they always fumble again because they need to make more comics.

If I ever got a chance to write for Marvel if possible I'd tackle the whole mess surrounding Sandman becoming a villain again and undo it

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

drrockso20 posted:

If I ever got a chance to write for Marvel if possible I'd tackle the whole mess surrounding Sandman becoming a villain again and undo it

Venom just became a hero again because of 90's nostalgia. Sandman has a shot.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gavok posted:

Venom just became a hero again because of 90's nostalgia. Sandman has a shot.

Does anybody have the panels from the end of Venom (2018) #6? Not the very last page, just the one where the Venom symbiote dies saving Eddie's life?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has Sandman been in anything lately? You could just write him as a hero and ignore the other poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think he was in an issue of spider-woman near the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Has Sandman been in anything lately? You could just write him as a hero and ignore the other poo poo.

Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man just started an arc with him.