Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Stereotype posted:

However that isn't a crime punishable by death, the guy was clearly harmless, and the shooter was unreasonably overanxious and eager to apply deadly force.
Wait what? The "poor crazy guy" *was the shooter*.

The gently caress did you just read?:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Stereotype posted:

The guy who was hanging out in parking lots yelling at people parking illegally probably had an undiagnosed (or diagnosed and untreated) mental disorder. He should not have have been acting like the parking police, shouldn't have felt the need to, and should have had access to someone who would help him not feel the need to antagonize random people. However that isn't a crime punishable by death, the guy was clearly harmless, and the shooter was unreasonably overanxious and eager to apply deadly force.

The whole situation is lovely and in conclusion Florida is the loving worst.

The guy yelling at people is the shooter.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Hmmm... good point.

"It's almost like capitalists are totally comfortable with Nazis and Nazism provided they might be able to make a buck off it someday."

Twitter makes money now

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Twitter makes money now
Can we make up our drat minds about this? I can't just keep going back and forth like this.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Also he shouldn't have had a loving gun with mental instability like that

Maybe I misread, but the parking enforcement guy wasn’t the one that drew. Right?

Edit: Nope, it’s me that fails reading comprehension

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

The guy who was hanging out in parking lots yelling at people parking illegally probably had an undiagnosed (or diagnosed and untreated) mental disorder. He should not have have been acting like the parking police, shouldn't have felt the need to, and should have had access to someone who would help him not feel the need to antagonize random people. However that isn't a crime punishable by death, the guy was clearly harmless, and the shooter was unreasonably overanxious and eager to apply deadly force.

The whole situation is lovely and in conclusion Florida is the loving worst.

You have failed the reading comprehension part of this test. Please read the article again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So uh, what are the predictions for the november elections looking like at the moment? I looked at some poll maps and while I don't fully understand the system you have, it doesn't really look like a landslide to me... At least the republicans will probably lose their majority though, I hope, right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

So uh, what are the predictions for the november elections looking like at the moment? I looked at some poll maps and while I don't fully understand the system you have, it doesn't really look like a landslide to me... At least the republicans will probably lose their majority though, I hope, right?

From what I understand either GOP wins big thanks to Trump's exemplary leadership or the elections will be rigged by Hillary again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Odds are on the side of Ds getting a small majority.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shibawanko posted:

This is what gerrymandering looks like if I understand US goons correctly. Basically, the Republicans cheat by drawing 3 district with 95% Democrat voters so the other 7 are at a 60/40 split pro-GOP. (Numbers mostly made up)
The theoretical drawback is if a +20 wave happens then the Ds take all 10 districts; of course, such an insanely massive wave is quite theoretical outside of stupid situations like a treasonous President in the pocket of hostile foreign powers.

What you're seeing is the gerrymander bending but it's still nowhere near breaking point.

2 questions from an Eurogoon: what's the catastrophic breaking point for the current gerrymander?
Are the guys elected in the midterms the ones that decide the 2020 redistricting?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

redistricting is done at the state level on census years (2020 is next). so we’re likely hosed. it’s a very bad system and the supreme court didn’t help matters.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Redistricting gets decided by the winners in 2020, mostly. This election does have some effect because the districts are drawn at the state level and so some governor will be up for election this year but not next time. The reason its so bad right now is because the GOP won in 2010.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Also he shouldn't have had a loving gun with mental instability like that

He shouldn't have had a loving gun, because no one should have a loving gun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellblazer187 posted:

Redistricting gets decided by the winners in 2020, mostly. This election does have some effect because the districts are drawn at the state level and so some governor will be up for election this year but not next time. The reason its so bad right now is because the GOP won in 2010.

They actually planned for it in 2010 in fact, making a huge effort to take over as many states as possible and taking advantage of it being a midterm year, along with backlash to Obama's election, specifically so they could gerrymander the poo poo out of things and cement their control. The plan was even called "REDMAP".

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Groovelord Neato posted:

redistricting is done at the state level on census years (2020 is next). so we’re likely hosed. it’s a very bad system and the supreme court didn’t help matters.

Why would your interpretation be we are hosed based on this? By most accounts, democrats are set up for a very good 2020 election year. We will be running a presidential candidate against Donald Trump after all. 2018 is already looking promising for wrestling back control over state level legislatures, and 2020 looks to follow that trend.

For 2018, Democrats are more likely than not to take the house, and have a narrow shot at the a Senate majority (with the latter being far less likely). 2018 is one of the worst senate maps for either party in us history, because of the number of red seats Democrats picked up in 2012.

The 2020 senate map is far more favorable, such that even an effective tie in 2018 (leaving the republicans in control) would set us up well for a 2020 majority.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

because the republicans have an even stronger grip at the state level.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

They actually planned for it in 2010 in fact, making a huge effort to take over as many states as possible and taking advantage of it being a midterm year, along with backlash to Obama's election, specifically so they could gerrymander the poo poo out of things and cement their control. The plan was even called "REDMAP".

There are quite a few crazy things about the US electoral system, but the fact that the specifics of elections are determined at the state level by partisans has to be the most insane. How did your founders not see this as a blatantly obvious vector for abuse?

Many countries have a nonpartisan independent election commission that enforce everything from what voting systems are used to how districting works on a national scale. It's never perfect, bet its a hell of a lot safer than letting a bunch of Yeeha McBumblefucks carve out their own special fiefdoms with targeted voting rules and Rorschach test gerrymandering. Why would anyone put up with obviously unfair poo poo like that?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Svaha posted:

There are quite a few crazy things about the US electoral system, but the fact that the specifics of elections are determined at the state level by partisans has to be the most insane. How did your founders not see this as a blatantly obvious vector for abuse?

Many countries have a nonpartisan independent election commission that enforce everything from what voting systems are used to how districting works on a national scale. It's never perfect, bet its a hell of a lot safer than letting a bunch of Yeeha McBumblefucks carve out their own special fiefdoms with targeted voting rules and Rorschach test gerrymandering. Why would anyone put up with obviously unfair poo poo like that?

The founders intended for the Presidency to have so many candidates every year that they would get to choose who got to be president instead of the filthy swine they ruled.

The founders were dumb assholes, not benevolent prophets.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, one of their actually good ideas has been completely thrown out the window; they realized that whatever they came up with wouldn't be perfect and that the country's needs would develop and change, so the Constitution was meant to be updated, added to, and possibly even rewritten relatively often. Instead, we've enshrined the thing as a sacred, unchangeable document, and a lot of legal and political issues today are based on twisting it to justify one's particular agendatrying to interpret the meaning and intent behind it. Because a bunch of eighteenth century assholes knew how to legislate things like drones and the Internet and foresaw all our needs while drunkenly scribing the thing.

Edit: Mind, how hard they made it to change certainly doesn't help there, and gridlock and such are also an intended part of how things were designed. Also, they actually foresaw some potential issues, such as the dangers of the Supreme Court working with Congress and/or the President instead of checking them, but they either thought those things were a lesser problem than the alternative, or did not think that people would actually do them, hence not addressing those things. They were wrong.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 21, 2018

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Mind, how hard they made it to change certainly doesn't help there, and gridlock and such are also an intended part of how things were designed. Also, they actually foresaw some potential issues, such as the dangers of the Supreme Court working with Congress and/or the President instead of checking them, but they either thought those things were a lesser problem than the alternative, or did not think that people would actually do them, hence not addressing those things. They were wrong.

Counterpoint: Alabama, where the state constitution has over 770 amendments because it's so trivial to change so it's basically where they write laws.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Cody Johnston's been doing an ongoing series about how Trump isn't literally or even figuratively hitler, but he is a fascist and Trumpism is a synonym for fascism.

Series is called "Life in the Fash Lane" and he just did video 3. There's a lot to unpack in the most recent video, but it's a worthwhile series to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUdwpsgbAv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcklYVR5I-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8oxnw__I

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 21, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harik posted:

Counterpoint: Alabama, where the state constitution has over 770 amendments because it's so trivial to change so it's basically where they write laws.

That's the state constitution; I'm talking about the Constitution, the one for the whole country, which is considerably more difficult to modify.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

That's the state constitution; I'm talking about the Constitution, the one for the whole country, which is considerably more difficult to modify.

I think they're making the point that an easy to amend constitution isn't good either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

This is what gerrymandering looks like if I understand US goons correctly. Basically, the Republicans cheat by drawing 3 district with 95% Democrat voters so the other 7 are at a 60/40 split pro-GOP. (Numbers mostly made up)
The theoretical drawback is if a +20 wave happens then the Ds take all 10 districts; of course, such an insanely massive wave is quite theoretical outside of stupid situations like a treasonous President in the pocket of hostile foreign powers.

What you're seeing is the gerrymander bending but it's still nowhere near breaking point.

2 questions from an Eurogoon: what's the catastrophic breaking point for the current gerrymander?
Are the guys elected in the midterms the ones that decide the 2020 redistricting?

This is not a republican trick. Democrats do this poo poo too, it's just that in the last 20 years, Republican have become the party of "weaponize gerrymandering" and also happened to gain control of a shitload of state houses at the right time to do so, while Democrats have become the party of "you know what? gently caress gerrymandering" and are passing laws in their own states to remove district drawing from the hands of the legislatures.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was talking with some Europeans the other day and they were saying how ridiculous it was that when Trump came to the UK he had a entourage of like 500+ people and massive security etc. I wasn’t trying to defend Trump at all but I was pointing out that this massive security was normal for US presidents so it wasn’t something out of the ordinary. Anyway I got called a Trump supporter and I felt bad.

But it made me wonder do other countries Prime Ministers/Presidents have a similarly huge security security apparatus? Are we really that unique in that sense?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dietrich posted:

Is that a shih-poo?

Yes. They are adorable, one of the smartest breeds, hypoallergenic, and don't have the breathing problems that Shih-Tzu have. They're great dogs.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was talking with some Europeans the other day and they were saying how ridiculous it was that when Trump came to the UK he had a entourage of like 500+ people and massive security etc. I wasn’t trying to defend Trump at all but I was pointing out that this massive security was normal for US presidents so it wasn’t something out of the ordinary. Anyway I got called a Trump supporter and I felt bad.

But it made me wonder do other countries Prime Ministers/Presidents have a similarly huge security security apparatus? Are we really that unique in that sense?

It's absolutely unique to the US president, but Trump isn't special in that regard. I lived in Paris when Obama visited, and now London while Trump was here. There were helicopters constantly hovering above the city for days before they even arrived.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1020642287725043712

:allears: this gon be good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite president, Alexander Hamilton, did a lot wrong actually

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Kennedy assassination is still in living memory. The British are ones to talk, though. They have a loving regiment of infantry guarding the Queen at all times.

Caros
May 14, 2008

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

My favorite president, Alexander Hamilton, did a lot wrong actually

Such as never being president?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

If Trump's ego could take physical form it would immediately collapse into a supermassive black hole and tear a path of destruction through the Milky Way

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Caros posted:

Such as never being president?

He was the fourth president, between Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I'm not going to check, but how many Princess Bride refs are in the replies?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The feteralisht papers

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

That's not true, much as I like Eisenhower he was far from perfect and definitely did things wrong.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Sure I said all that stuff on tape but it was illegal to tape my confession"

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Maybe actually a bit shook.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh my god, why does he keep making himself sound like a little kid with stuff like "your favorite president"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

You.. uh, you sure about that buddy?

• Locked thread