Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Low Desert Punk posted:

The "dramatic remix of a popular song from 20 years ago" thing that every trailer and commercial does now is incredibly nauseating

Please enjoy this ominous slow rendition of Wannabe by the Spice Girls whose musical accompaniment is one, sparse piano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Somewhere, Shatner is furiously emailing his agent.

"Leonard's DEAD and he's still getting more love than Kirk! Let them I know I can play Kirk's GRANDFATHER!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shatner is going to show up as Starfleet Admiral Thomas Jefferson Hooker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I’m guessing the Discovery’s new captain doesn’t show up this season?

Also yay Tig Notaro.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Wasn't he being a big hero during some reactor core accident, pulling out, I want to say, cadets or something. It happened less than a year before the TOS non-pilot episodes, so it was really recent.

Don't put it past STD to have it happen on their show, though.

Yeah, it was after he'd handed the 1701 to Kirk. He was promoted to "Fleet Captain" and was presumably working a desk job at Starfleet Command or the Academy. He was on an outmoded training ship with cadets a la Admiral Kirk in TWOK and got irradiated throwing them out of the engine room Phillip Banks-style. Would be about a decade after DISCO S1/S2.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
S2 looks fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also, the humanisation of Burnham is good. The tag at the end has actual good dialogue that warms her up.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wish Saru was the captain :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phylodox posted:

I'm guessing he means this:

Pike and background dude are in the old-school colour tunics.

Mitt Romney as Pike.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Mitt Romney as Pike.

"Evasive maneuvers! There's coffee in that nebula!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zesty posted:

Discovery Spoilers from SDCC.

Four mini-episodes before season 2 airs in January.

Spock will be a character throughout the new season.

Dr. Culber will return for the new season.

More L'Rell, including her history.

"We will meet the original Number One of the Enterprise."

For those of you who were smart enough not to watch season 1, Dr Culber died halfway through the season. But he's returning! Along with your favorite Vulcan from the TV show that aired 20 years before you were born.

maybe when the Boomer Studio executives are dead will get a new Star Trek

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 21, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=circ3_-JJy0

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

Yeah, it was after he'd handed the 1701 to Kirk. He was promoted to "Fleet Captain" and was presumably working a desk job at Starfleet Command or the Academy. He was on an outmoded training ship with cadets a la Admiral Kirk in TWOK and got irradiated throwing them out of the engine room Phillip Banks-style. Would be about a decade after DISCO S1/S2.

Yep, just watched the opening of "The Menagerie" to make sure - the accident happened while the Enterprise was outside communication with the main fleet, and Commodore Mendez refers to the rumors going around for "months." It's Spock learning about Pike's injuries that sets the plot in motion.

Not that anyone is going to care about that, of course, because:

:byodood: Pike? You mean the Wheelchair Guy?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spock being involved aside, that looks way better than season one.

Yeah the music sucks but it's a trailer. Battlestar Galactica had Nickelback for a trailer. Don't fixate on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Why does Pike need to leave the Enterprise and take over Discovery? If that's the best they could come up with for the "OH WOW IT'S THE ENTERPRISE WHAT FROM THE OLD SHOW" moment they threw in at the end of season 1, that's depressing.
Has to be about the spore drive

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But the spore drive went back to its home planet?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
neet deet: bashir giving Sloane the finger.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tig Notaro's got a good energy for the show. Is she going to be a regular?

Also thank god we've picked up some dull white guy to captain the ship instead of Saru, an actually interesting character the fans like. It's cool because Captain Whitebread was in TOS like 50 loving years ago for 2 episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Tig Notaro's got a good energy for the show. Is she going to be a regular?

Also thank god we've picked up some dull white guy to captain the ship instead of Saru, an actually interesting character the fans like. It's cool because Captain Whitebread was in TOS like 50 loving years ago for 2 episodes.

Before you get worried about loving WHITE MALES stealing roles from Humanoids of Non Earth Origin, remember that if they continue to mirror Prime Universe continuity, as they claim they are, Pike will just be another 1 season captain like Lorca. He's supposed to go back to the Enterprise and hand it off to Kirk in 9-10 years. Also, while I like Saru quite a lot myself, I'd say more fans "like" Pike than Saru. Why would you even say Pike is dull? He was actually a pretty moody and deep thinking captain compared to some of the others, at least in the brief glimpse we got of the Prime Universe version. I'd say he has some depth.

I guess they could decide to keep Anson Mount on and change poo poo up, he has been a show lead before. But I'd say more likely than Saru is that they restore Burnham to first officer status (since her rank has been restored already) and bypass Saru to make her the Captain in S3, or maybe even the back half of this one. I'd wager that was one of the threads Fuller set up from the beginning that's still in play, and the odd choice to make a non-Captain/Station Commander the show lead was a smokescreen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

Why would you even say Pike is dull?

Because I've seen "The Cage" - an episode of TV so dull that they refused to air it in the 1960s. Like, they didn't even know how to pace a TV show back then and they were still like "woo boy this is boring as gently caress".

I guess the JJverse Pike was slightly less boring?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I seriously doubt Pike will stick around for more than 3-4 episodes. He’s not becoming a regular, so there’s no need for pitchforks just yet.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seriously?

Hunter's Pike was very complex, and not at all appropriate for his time (the 60s, not the 2250s). He was a square jawed, action hero who was questioning his entire existence and chosen career after losing a bunch of crew. He was drinking and ready to resign. Then he got a bunch of poo poo thrown at him by the Talosians who were trying to use his crisis of faith and self doubt against him. He should have been self assured, full of swagger, and kicking rear end, like Kirk, and that was what was expected in 1966 so that's what we got. But the Pike we saw was more like a Picard at a low point in his life. I can see how a flawed hero wouldn't play well in the 60s, but it's great for now.

He's probably got his mojo back in the last 2 years, but I wouldn't say he's dull. His own struggles might give him something in common with Burnham, and help him mentor her back onto a Command track. I think it'll be more interesting than Captain Unknown Rando.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

Seriously?

Hunter's Pike was very complex, and not at all appropriate for his time (the 60s, not the 2250s). He was a square jawed, action hero who was questioning his entire existence and chosen career after losing a bunch of crew. He was drinking and ready to resign. Then he got a bunch of poo poo thrown at him by the Talosians who were trying to use his crisis of faith and self doubt against him. He should have been self assured, full of swagger, and kicking rear end, like Kirk, and that was what was expected in 1966 so that's what we got. But the Pike we saw was more like a Picard at a low point in his life. I can see how a flawed hero wouldn't play well in the 60s, but it's great for now.

He's probably got his mojo back in the last 2 years, but I wouldn't say he's dull. His own struggles might give him something in common with Burnham, and help him mentor her back onto a Command track. I think it'll be more interesting than Captain Unknown Rando.

Snoooooore

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The ‘hit it’ from the trailer is obviously copied from the Greenwood version of Pike, and hopefully it indicates a similar take to that character. Other bits of the trailer look like he’s having fun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

*watching The Wire* jesus christ this is boring where's the dinosaurs riding motorcycles??

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"Is your blood red like ours? I wanna find out!" TOS Pike owned and it would be mildly amusing if his stint on this show starts with him being all happy and ends with him being utterly demoralized after losing a bunch of crew in a traumatic bloodbath

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

*watching The Wire* jesus christ this is boring where's the dinosaurs riding motorcycles??

Omeisaurus comin'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The dinosyborg arc was the best part of STO :colbert:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

McSpanky posted:

where's the dinosaurs riding motorcycles??

Well, we've already had alien nazis flying laser dive bombers, so...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's Robert April up to?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Less Pike. More that Doctor from the original pilot that prescribed booze.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Delsaber posted:

Well, we've already had alien nazis flying laser dive bombers, so...

If you think about it, there's no way the Voth didn't have a sizeable footprint in temporal conflicts...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1020886083179909120

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

FilthyImp posted:

Somewhere, Shatner is furiously emailing his agent.

"Leonard's DEAD and he's still getting more love than Kirk! Let them I know I can play Kirk's GRANDFATHER!"

I've said it before, I'll say it again: just have Shatner play Kirk.

No I don't care how old Kirk is.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

mossyfisk posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: just have Shatner play Kirk.

No I don't care how old Kirk is.

"Why does Cadet Kirk look like he's 90?"
"Captain, temporal stress is causing members of the crew to appear much older than they actually are."

or

"Michael Burnham? Of the Discovery?"
"Yes, what is this place? Ad why are you so old Cadet Kirk?"
"It's the Nexus. It exists outside of time, and for me it's Admiral Kirk now, Commodore Burnham."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The ‘hit it’ from the trailer is obviously copied from the Greenwood version of Pike, and hopefully it indicates a similar take to that character. Other bits of the trailer look like he’s having fun.

Well it's no "TIME WARP FACTOR SEVEN" but I'll take it.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Just got up to The Visitor on my DS9 rewatch and god drat if it doesn’t destroy me every single time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Duckula posted:

Just got up to The Visitor on my DS9 rewatch and god drat if it doesn’t destroy me every single time.

That's probably the most good episode in the series imho.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Visitor is a cool episode because u can use peoples responses to it to psychoanalyze their relationship with their dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would have been relieved if my father seemingly died in a subspace implosion or whatever when I was a teenager.

skasion posted:

The Visitor is a cool episode because u can use peoples responses to it to psychoanalyze their relationship with their dad