Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Got 57% through William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land @1912 before giving up on it.
Certain details of the book were interesting, others not so. The sheer amount of text devoted to eating and drinking every 6 hours on schedule and moss-bush creeping on the outbound journey was tolerable but repeated seemingly hundreds of times. I quit the book after the main character found his eternal true love and started headed back towards the gorge leading to the path that crosses the plains that border the area that eventually leads to where his home is....and I can't take more endless repetitions of moss-bush creeping and eating and drinking with the addition of protecting & admiring his true love.

Interesting bits in the Night Land:
-definitely not the 1st chapter
-the 7.5 mile tall, 3.5 mile per side great pyramid shaped Arcology containing the last 15 million or so humans on a post-dead sun earth (this book was written pre-modern day understanding of how the sun will die)
-the 100 or so subterranean self-contained ecosystems protected by losTech under the great pyramid that feeds everyone inside the great pyramid arcology and keeps them sane-ish.
-the forcefield style barrier that keeps mutated humans and other nasty entities away from the great pyramid
-the watcher things that stare at the great pyramid from 100+ km away, and in a modern novel would be collapsing quantum possibilities to keep bad-entities from quantum tunnelling into the great pyramid and hopefully just murdering everyone/everything inside.
-the 3 day therapy/physical conditioning regime for people going outside the great pyramid which includes embedding a suicide capsule in your left arm's wrist, and seemingly rewires your digestive system to handle mars-type atmosphere.
-super concentrated food tablets and dust that turns into hyper-gatorade once it reacts with the air
-a giant trench caused by some world-destroying event that ironically allows life on a post-dead sun earth to exist
-the giant trench is hundreds of miles into the global crust (this book was written pre-continental drift theory) where the dregs of the earths atmosphere reside and the dying heat of the earth's core keeps life vaguely possible
-the great pyramid exists somewhere in that world-spanning trench
-wreckage of earlier ages is scattered around the world-spanning trench

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a rewrite of The Night Land that is amazingly competent. If you were digging the story (and it sounds like you were), it may be worth looking in to.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go on, got a link to the rewrite?

e: found it http://amzn.eu/5kRWdgn

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 20, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Steakandchips posted:

Google is hard eh

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10577778-the-night-land-a-story-retold

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry, thanks!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'm reading some Greg Bear stuff because of his interest in the Night Land and boy was this a bad idea.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It took me like 6 months to get through TNL and I think it was actually worth it. The imagery is so wild that I can forgive the dumbass plot and language.

The diskos is cool, the giant cave slugs are cool, the house of silence is real spooky.

There's some neat fanart on nightland.website

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

my bony fealty posted:

The diskos is cool

It is, but it is also a giant pizza slicer

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

e: found it http://amzn.eu/5kRWdgn

pretty cool that they've totally ruined the prose style, which is the main reason you'd read this book in the first place

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That’s not the main reason to read it, it’s the mesmerizing imagery and comforting fatalism

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm kinda digging how Ninefox Gambit just dumps you in this world with some crazy magical math system thing and doesn't really explain it. On the other hand it's very confusing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm kinda digging how Ninefox Gambit just dumps you in this world with some crazy magical math system thing and doesn't really explain it. On the other hand it's very confusing.

Magic math: if they do formations right, they act like magic shields or whatever. If they do formations wrong, everyone dies.

The magic math only works if they're in an area that follows the correct calendar and does rituals on the right dates. If they're not, then the magic formations stop working.

There, you're up to speed, have fun.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

4bux? Fuckin' sold.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Heads up. The Amazon Kindle store has another good Stanislaw Lem on sale for a unspecified amount of time.
$1.99, Peace on Earth: Ijon Tichy Book 4.
It is a good and bizzare story, and I'm buying the book yet again just to have an ebook version of it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Magic math: if they do formations right, they act like magic shields or whatever. If they do formations wrong, everyone dies.

The magic math only works if they're in an area that follows the correct calendar and does rituals on the right dates. If they're not, then the magic formations stop working.

There, you're up to speed, have fun.

Formations are just one application of high calendar exotic physics, there's all sorts of other stuff too.

Note that the "high calendar" of ritualized torture murder is purely their own system for exotic physics, there's an adjacent civilization that bases their exotics on flower arranging or something.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Also yes I got the gist of it, it's just interesting because most sci fi explains everything in very specific detail.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

That’s not the main reason to read it, it’s the mesmerizing imagery and comforting fatalism

Imagery, a thing that exists in books independently of the prose

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The best way to read The Night Land would be to take a drink whenever the author doesn't start a paragraph with a "and," "then," "but," "now," or whatever. (the joke is that you wouldn't get to drink at all)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

There's a couple of Night Lands anthologies by Andy Robertson too; modern writers writing in the setting. I remember the first one as being OK but not really standout, FWIW.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Also yes I got the gist of it, it's just interesting because most sci fi explains everything in very specific detail.

Oh! Okay, cool. I think that's my favorite kind of sci-fi, too - when a book makes you work to grok everything about the setting. You can see this in Cherryh, Delany and Glen Cook for good examples.

Or, sci-fi where the author isn't so proud of their cool idea that they can trust that the audience is smart enough to follow along... I like it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I only just now connected that the Night Land guy was also the author of the Carnacki stories. I never would have thought to link the two, the styles and content are so different.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know why, but I thought Ninefox was much more 'hard sci fi' than it was so I was pretty bemused for a while. If I'd known it was more 40K I'd have had an easier time at the start.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

occamsnailfile posted:

I only just now connected that the Night Land guy was also the author of the Carnacki stories. I never would have thought to link the two, the styles and content are so different.

His other books, The Boats of the Glen Carrig (adrift in the Sargasso Sea with ~monsters~) and The Ghost Pirates (sort of like the Carnacki story The Haunted Jarvee with no meddling psychic investigators) are kind of similar to each other but less so to his other books, and The House on the Borderland is a wonderful batshit-crazy ride through space and time and Lovecraft-adjacent horrors.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Night Land rewrites that develop the main character out seem like they miss the point. The narrator + his motivation was really boring. The really interesting stuff to a modern audience would be the dead sun world full of mystery, danger, lost Tech, and creepy weird lifeforms.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 21, 2018

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Junkenstein posted:

I don't know why, but I thought Ninefox was much more 'hard sci fi' than it was so I was pretty bemused for a while. If I'd known it was more 40K I'd have had an easier time at the start.

I bounced off of it really hard the first time I tried. I gave it another go a few weeks after that, and loved it. Really enjoyed the whole trilogy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

M John Harrison's Empty Space was much better on a re-read.
Two of the three story-lines are interesting(side characters from Harrison's Nova Swing), the third story-line (ex-wife of a main character from Harrison's Light) is boring filler material until the last few chapters, and can be power-skimmed without losing anything.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Nova Swing killed my interest in that series. I liked Light a lot, but Nova Swing felt like it was taking place in an entirely different universe where people acted more like caricatures than living, breathing human beings (except for the Albert Einstein lookalike's lieutenant, who expressed a lot of the frustration I felt with the book later on). I know Empty Space is more like Light than Nova Swing, but I wasn't able to get through it. I'll probably return to it at some point - hell, I imagine I'd like Nova Swing better on a reread now that I know what to expect.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Nova Swing killed my interest in that series. I liked Light a lot, but Nova Swing felt like it was taking place in an entirely different universe where people acted more like caricatures than living, breathing human beings (except for the Albert Einstein lookalike's lieutenant, who expressed a lot of the frustration I felt with the book later on). I know Empty Space is more like Light than Nova Swing, but I wasn't able to get through it. I'll probably return to it at some point - hell, I imagine I'd like Nova Swing better on a reread now that I know what to expect.

Pretty much yes, Everything was synthetic and fake feeling in Nova Swing, especially the Albert Einstein looking detective.
Light focused on three characters across time and space plus K-ships/K-tech + light kitsch elements(the Mona's, cultivars as throwaway items, uncle zip franchises, tank farms, Sandra Shen circus, etc) while Nova Swing focused on a tourist trap planet with heavy kitsch + detective noir + the exclusion zone from roadside picnic.

tldr: If you don't enjoy detective noir, Nova Swing will probably suck for you.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 22, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Counterpoint: Vic Serotonin

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading The Coming By Joe Haldeman. It was written in 2000, and set in the 2050s, and it's kind of amazing how much he got wrong. Like, newspapers still exist, but in a more complicated and expensive form where stores have a big printer and you put money in and print out the newspaper sections you want. Radio Shack is explicitly mentioned as not only still existing but actually doing really well and having expanded worldwide. The Internet only exists as like, campus networks and the like. Lawrence v Texas never happened, and gay sex was eventually banned nationwide. Nobody has cell phones. Broadcast TV is till the dominant medium, albeit in 3D. The only thing he got right is that it's really hot.

I'm only a third of the way through, I'm kinda more interested in the bad futurism than the plot or the characters. It's like, what's he gonna say next? I'm fully expecting former president Hillary Clinton and KB Toys to make an appearance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh! Okay, cool. I think that's my favorite kind of sci-fi, too - when a book makes you work to grok everything about the setting. You can see this in Cherryh, Delany and Glen Cook for good examples.

Or, sci-fi where the author isn't so proud of their cool idea that they can trust that the audience is smart enough to follow along... I like it.

If you haven't yet you'd probably really like the Jean le Flambeur trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm reading The Coming By Joe Haldeman. It was written in 2000, and set in the 2050s, and it's kind of amazing how much he got wrong. Like, newspapers still exist, but in a more complicated and expensive form where stores have a big printer and you put money in and print out the newspaper sections you want.

Babylon 5 had the same thing, except you also had to bring yesterday's newspaper with you to feed into the machine's recycler.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Selachian posted:

Babylon 5 had the same thing, except you also had to bring yesterday's newspaper with you to feed into the machine's recycler.

The Door Into Summer predicted what amounts to reading the news on a tablet, funnily enough, but had people still calling it newspapers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The Door Into Summer predicted what amounts to reading the news on a tablet, funnily enough, but had people still calling it newspapers.

I subscribe to the NYT and the WSJ digitally and read them on my tablet. I still call them newspapers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

Bubblegum Crisis had re-writable magazines. You took it to a magazine machine, stuck the spine in the slot, and the cover and pages all got updated to the new issue.

I wish we'd gotten that instead of tablets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bubblegum Crisis had re-writable magazines. You took it to a magazine machine, stuck the spine in the slot, and the cover and pages all got updated to the new issue.

I wish we'd gotten that instead of tablets.

Door's newspapers were described as flat pieces of plastic where you'd just tap the bottom right corner of the screen to flip to the next page.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

rewrittable media throughout the ages chat:
Wax tablets were the re-writable magazines back in the Roman empire era.
Knots + strings + a good memory for spatial placement were the re-writable magazines of the America before the conquistadors happened.

andrew smash posted:

Counterpoint: Vic Serotonin

Funnily I see Vic Serotonin as the most raymond chandler-esque inspired character in Nova Swing. Vic's entire adult life is built from what he's absorbed from old noir movies. The "my office is a bar" noir cliche, the hard-boiled persona he can't quite pull off, the chambers pistol he carries......just gonna quote Nova Swing

quote:

Bonaventure chose to ignore him. “They never heard of contingency,” he said, “that’s the fact of it.”
He stared at the label of the Black Heart bottle as if he was trying to remember how to read. “These kids,” he asked himself, “what are they? Entradista Lite. They think there’s a career structure in that business! They’ve got a map they bought from Uncle Zip, and a Chambers pistol they’ll never shoot. Good thing, because that gun’s a particle jockey’s nightmare.”
“Hey, Emil,” Vic said.“Give me the bottle.”
“They dress for the tourist trade. They talk like bad poets. They never say anything about themselves but at the same time they can’t bear you not to know who they are.”
“Who are you talking about, Emil?”
“They never get lost in there, Vic: they never risk anything.”
“Are you talking about me?” Vic Serotonin said.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dunno if it was this thread or some slate of awards nominations that had Sea of Rust on it, but I really enjoyed it, so uh, if someone here recommended it, thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

If you haven't yet you'd probably really like the Jean le Flambeur trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi.

I need to give that one a go again, because I read the first bit of the Quantum Thief and bounced off of it hard. It felt too.... modern, in a bad way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need to give that one a go again, because I read the first bit of the Quantum Thief and bounced off of it hard. It felt too.... modern, in a bad way?

You bounced off too many neologisms for things we have perfectly good words for in modern English. There’s not much of value beneath the surface, Rajaneimi is no Wolfe.