Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Aside from dancing whats the best way to level up? Noticed Cyrus and Prims chapter 3 needs them a 40 and they're kinda lagging behind somewhat.

Also cripes was Olberics Chapter 3 ultra easy. Whats up with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just finished Tressa's chapter 2 as my first one and it was kind of a breeze? My party was Tressa + Thief (level 21), Alfyn +Warrior (19ish), Cyrus (12 or 13) and Ophelia +Dancer (14). I had almost no issues with the boss.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

minya posted:

What’s the scoop on secondary jobs? I don’t really understand how to use them to their best potential. Should I be giving jobs to characters that match their skills, like Cleric to Cyrus because it boosts his magic? Or should I be thinking mainly about skills?

You don’t actually need to use a sub job to learn its support skills—just switch into it, invest your JP, and then go back. So if you want Cyrus to learn the SP Saver skill from Merchant, you can keep him as a Cleric or whatever until he has the 4,630 JP needed to learn the skill, then switch to Merchant and spend it all at once.

In general, the different characters' natural stat spreads far outweigh the stat bonuses from subclasses. You’re never going to make Primrose very tanky, even if you make her a Warrior or Apothecary. It's better to look for a subclass that supports the character's natural talents, offers new attack types, and has reasonably synergistic active skills.

Cyrus is solid as a Cleric, even though it doesn’t offer him any new weapons. It doubles down on his strong elemental stats, improving his damage; it grants him a new elemental attack type; and it gives him an important option for team support (big heals) in a pinch.

An example of a bad subclass is Olberic in Dancer. Dancer improves his Speed (which is fine) but also his elemental attack and evasion (which are terrible). He can use Daggers now, but he doesn’t get any attack skills for them, so he's still going to rely on the AOE/high damage skills associated with Swords and Polearms from his base class. And Dancer's active skills are meant to provide buffs to a single teammate who's responsible for dishing out a ton of damage. If Olberic's doing the dancing, then that’s a whole turn where one of your best natural damage dealers isn’t doing any damage at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Aside from dancing whats the best way to level up? Noticed Cyrus and Prims chapter 3 needs them a 40 and they're kinda lagging behind somewhat.

The best way is to have a single nuker on your team who can one-shot anything in the area in the first round of combat. You can finish fights in 25 seconds or so, whereas fishing for Bewildering Grace bonuses in every encounter will make each battle take five minutes or more—during which you could probably complete ten normal fights. You can have a Dancer in the squad and have them use BG if they happen to go before your nuker. Just don’t sit there and try to spam it over and over; you should only consider it if you happen to kill a Chubby Cait but left something else alive, because hitting 100x JP then will give you enough points to buy literally everything.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 21, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The target indicator for party members is a small hand on their sprite, a blue highlight on the turn order, but not the *one* place my eyes expect it - the god drat vertical list of party members!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I was hoping I could do some Bravely-tier game breaking shenanigans with the Runelord but apparently transfer rune explicitly only works on self-buffs?

Am I right that literally only Tressa and Olberic have those? Weird design decision.

And yes, I realize how powerful it is on Tressa but it's weird that it's so exclusive.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Well, the Runelord has self-buff skills too...

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Zoran posted:

You don’t actually need to use a sub job to learn its support skills—just switch into it, invest your JP, and then go back. So if you want Cyrus to learn the SP Saver skill from Merchant, you can keep him as a Cleric or whatever until he has the 4,630 JP needed to learn the skill, then switch to Merchant and spend it all at once..
V helpful post thank you.

Given this info does it mean that we should probably keep given characters as only 1 or maybe 2 different Support jobs (per given character) unless there is a reason to learn a skill from some other class?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

Well, the Runelord has self-buff skills too...

Obviously :v:

I was hoping for something like mass-casting reflect or the dancer buffs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Yep, need a Dancer for that.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I mean you can do that with the dancers Divine skill; it's exactly as good as you'd think it is

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

acumen posted:

Runelord trivializes Warmaster if you use Tressa.

Yup. This is exactly what happened.

Everybody knows about Transfer Rune + Sidestep I'm sure since that's the cheese strat for that boss.

But I accidentally discovered that Transfer Rune also applies to Rest. Tressa now becomes the stupidest party battery because a fully boosted Rest is 100 SP to the whole part at that point.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Oh my god, I just finished Tressa's journey, and it's so heartwarming! :3: A nice break from the other three endings I’d already finished. But it's funny to see that Tressa's really not cut out for this whole merchant thing, since she can’t stand to take people's money.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zoran posted:

Oh my god, I just finished Tressa's journey, and it's so heartwarming! :3: A nice break from the other three endings I’d already finished. But it's funny to see that Tressa's really not cut out for this whole merchant thing, since she can’t stand to take people's money.

Tressa is fine with taking money from people. They just need to be killed first.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yup. This is exactly what happened.

Everybody knows about Transfer Rune + Sidestep I'm sure since that's the cheese strat for that boss.

But I accidentally discovered that Transfer Rune also applies to Rest. Tressa now becomes the stupidest party battery because a fully boosted Rest is 100 SP to the whole part at that point.

Tressa is a lithium-ion battery. :colbert:

Oh god, now I am imagining a laptop battery dressed as runelord tressa.

Edit: no wait stop brain!

Why am I thinking of going to the store and getting a back of party batteries, and I open up a pack And I hear 'Always looking for a bargain', but its in slowbeefs ridley voice!

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 21, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a list of subclasses that are generally good for each character? I'm unlocking them now. So far I have Olberic as a hunter, Alfyn as a warrior, and Ophelia as a cleric. I was going to make Tressa a theif when I unlock it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

I really don't get the whole 'H'aanit is gay' thing based off those lines.

She's talked about the sort of guy she likes with primrose, and that conversation is about how Eliza is a beautiful role model for ophelia and h'aanit, and they realize that they also consider each other beautiful. It seemed to be a self esteem thing more than anything.
haha gently caress off

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game's soundtrack is so good and it's starting to rival Chrono Cross for best video game soundtrack.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PedroPmaq/status/1017633249466646529

https://twitter.com/PedroPmaq/status/1019438203206451200

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've located all the super shrines! So far I've only done runelord. Made a few attempts at archmagus and it's rough if I don't chain the breaks just right. How do the other two compare in difficulty? I know I don't need to worry about unlocking them given I still have a number of Chapter 3's to do but they are shiny and I want them!

The way you trivialize the Archmagus and the Starseer is by casting party wide reflects constantly. They'll break and kill themselves on your shields, it's great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

Yep, need a Dancer for that.

someone awful. posted:

I mean you can do that with the dancers Divine skill; it's exactly as good as you'd think it is
Wait seriously? :cripes: I hadn't bought that one yet because it specifically says "skills that target one foe" and that seemed very situational.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just started this and am in the middle of recruiting my 4th character (the Cleric) but i've found i'm constantly low on cash and i've hit the guardian of the flame boss who's been a bit tricky to beat.

I figured my gear is what's too low because the area level is 7 and my team range from 7-15.

I've got the Warrior, Merchant, Scholar and the Clir now in my party so i was wondering if there's a way to score some big cash. Though i do appear to be trapped in the Cleric's 1st chapter so i can't really fast travel outside of the nearby town and the 2 zones.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Where is the shrine of the merchant? Seems like I'd have to have a boat to find it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DalaranJ posted:

Where is the shrine of the merchant? Seems like I'd have to have a boat to find it.

You must go through the Highlands to get to the Shrine of the Trader.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

The second tier area of the coastlands is like that of the frostlands—you can’t get there directly from the inner area, and instead you have to go around through a neighboring region.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kin posted:

I just started this and am in the middle of recruiting my 4th character (the Cleric) but i've found i'm constantly low on cash and i've hit the guardian of the flame boss who's been a bit tricky to beat.

I figured my gear is what's too low because the area level is 7 and my team range from 7-15.

I've got the Warrior, Merchant, Scholar and the Clir now in my party so i was wondering if there's a way to score some big cash. Though i do appear to be trapped in the Cleric's 1st chapter so i can't really fast travel outside of the nearby town and the 2 zones.

You're probably fine as far as levels and equipment, as long as you've got at least a couple of items upgraded from the starting gear. The bosses are just a little difficult at first before you get better with the combat system. The pattern, such as it is, is to hit the boss's weaknesses until his guard breaks, and then have a nova turn where you pop all your boost points to do damage to him. Bonus points if you have some damage buffs going on your party for the break turn, even more bonus points if you time the break to be early in a turn, before the boss's attack, so he gets stunned for basically two whole turns instead of just one.

It may also help to check out the townspeople with Ophilia's Guide ability and grab one with higher strength?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Folt The Bolt posted:

You must go through the Highlands to get to the Shrine of the Trader.

Is it northeast or southwest of the Shrine of the Thunderblade? It makes sense that it would be northeast but I don't see a stone circle on that map.

e: Never mind there's a minimap icon.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 21, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kin posted:

I've got all the characters and have spent almost no money on equipment so far. It's probably less about gear than it is about your party composition - almost all of your characters struggle early on until you get access to more skills. For example, if you had the thief, he has a skill that restores the SP you use to cast it, does two hits, and is dagger-based, which the Cleric's boss is weak against, so if you had him the fight would be SUPER easy. I would very highly recommend going and getting the thief next, he can also steal all the items from townspeople that the merchant can buy so you can get a lot of gear upgrades for free, some really big ones if you're willing to save scum. For reference, my team is now Apothecary, Hunter, Thief, Warrior, so only 1/4 of the characters you have.

For cash though, use the merchant skills, that's pretty much your best option right now. Just go into battle with enough healing items and you should be able to make it, in terms of difficulty getting the other characters that are better in the beginning of the game will make things a lot easier.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Is it northeast or southwest of the Shrine of the Thunderblade? It makes sense that it would be northeast but I don't see a stone circle on that map.

Northeast, I think. You need to go past Stonegard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have access to the chapter 4's of my main team now but I'm not ready to end any of the stories :qq:

Debating whether to just say gently caress it to overleveling and do all the chapter 2's and 3's before starting on the 4's. Even if the combat is easy the story is really good and I'm hooked on basically all of them (not to mention the NPC questlines!)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pharohman777 posted:

I really don't get the whole 'H'aanit is gay' thing based off those lines.

She's talked about the sort of guy she likes with primrose, and that conversation is about how Eliza is a beautiful role model for ophelia and h'aanit, and they realize that they also consider each other beautiful. It seemed to be a self esteem thing more than anything.

Cyrus is that you?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been rotating characters based on the chat guide here - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204212-octopath-traveler/76817692 and its been an interesting way of keeping my characters somewhat closely leveled while doing chapter quests and fighting the bosses.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Whew I picked the golden axe up after only a couple tries but this guy with the Holy Longbow in Saintsbridge really does NOT want to give it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tressa gets so much loving cash in and out of battle that it's tough to keep her out of the party, especially since I'm constantly hard up on cash upgrading my gear

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I beat the warmaster last night but just looking at it it seems kind if lackluster? Am I missing something? Should I just wait until I have enough JP to unlock more skills on it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I've mostly been thinking about Passive skills, like the Thief's free attack and double loot skills synergize really well with the Merchant's Collect, the Merchant's half SP and the Dancer's SP regen work really well on a spellcaster.

You can also do Dancer SP Regen + Apothecary boosted heal/restore for unlimited SP on a caster

DLC Inc posted:

Tressa gets so much loving cash in and out of battle that it's tough to keep her out of the party, especially since I'm constantly hard up on cash upgrading my gear

By the time you hit the third tier of cities there's basically nothing to buy. I hit them with about 400k in the bank and spent maybe 100k on gear and have nothing to do with the rest :shrug: Still raking in 2.5k+ per fight even without Tressa.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

IcePhoenix posted:

I beat the warmaster last night but just looking at it it seems kind if lackluster? Am I missing something? Should I just wait until I have enough JP to unlock more skills on it?

It can eventually be pretty good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I managed a 2x XP dance on a Cait, which got me to the mid-20s with my team. Currently wandering around getting towns to fast-travel and gearing up. Went up through a level 45 area and got a really good-looking staff for my Scholar Ophelia and got my Warrior Therion a really good dagger from a cave. Breaking the game is fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So now that people have been playing it for a while and starting to get to the endgame, has anyone found a good way of getting JP other than spending a hundred turns doing bewildering grace on a trash mob?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

So now that people have been playing it for a while and starting to get to the endgame, has anyone found a good way of getting JP other than spending a hundred turns doing bewildering grace on a trash mob?

Just killing poo poo seems faster than bothering with the dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Find someplace high level with enemies sharing the same weakness and kill them first turn. Bewildering Grace if your Dancer goes before your nukers, otherwise just kill the mob.