Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Two of them are in pretty distinct locations that the player will probably end up going to whenever they get a chance and even having just one piece helps with climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Two of them are in pretty distinct locations that the player will probably end up going to whenever they get a chance and even having just one piece helps with climbing.

I don't honestly remember where they were, but I found two of them pretty early on just naturally, yeah.

Then I almost never took them off unless I needed to tank or sneak

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t regret using a guide to beeline for them, especially since the Major Test of Strength is a good crash course in just how useful buffs are.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The only guide I would suggest following is just "find these two shrines asap" and "yeah sure I guess you can find the 3rd one now if you want"

But realistically it's not a huge deal, just a nice QOL thing to have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think two of them are right across from each other.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ProjektorBoy posted:

The tactile difference between 4-buttons and a cross that's been built off decades of muscle memory is a huge thing for gamers, if you can imagine that.

Built of decades of muscle memory of using various different controllers, which have d-pads that vary wildly? It's a dumb excuse but if it's that big of a problem you can fix it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cojawfee posted:

I think two of them are right across from each other.

Nah. One’s in one of the Duelling Peaks shrines, one’s a questline in Hateno (the trees that line up) and one’s on that little island out in the bay.

So two at least are fairly quick finds if you follow in-game advice and keep checking out your surroundings.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

yeah, the climbing cap was one of the first equipment pieces i found during the whole game

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Built of decades of muscle memory of using various different controllers, which have d-pads that vary wildly? It's a dumb excuse but if it's that big of a problem you can fix it.

D-Pads are D-Pads, regardless of platform. The switching underneath may cause slight variations in tactile feel but a D-pad has always provided reliability from its central pivoting point that guides the thumb to placing pressure in the correct place.

Don't be so intentionally obtuse to compare D-Pad variations to be as wide as the gigantic gap between a d-pad and 4 gap-separated convex buttons.

I also own a Pro controller so I don't need your ham-fisted aftermarket solution.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

85 hours, 120 Shrines, All captured memories, and enough Korok seeds later, I decided to leave the last few side quests I had remaining to check out Hyrule Castle and the final boss. I wasn't disappointed. Its not the hardest final boss by any stretch but certainly fun and memorable. Certainly got more than my money's worth out of this game and I'm sure I'll get the DLC in future, although to avoid Zelda fatigue I think I'll put it down for a bit, also because I really want to play DKC Tropical Freeze.

Summary of the 85 hours;

https://twitter.com/Jintendo1/status/1019360136882737158

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 18, 2018

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are you saying you have trouble holding two buttons at the same time on the joycon? lol

Ehhhhh four seperate buttons is not intuitively the same thing as a D-pad and I don't think it's expected of anyone to use it the same way you would a D-pad, especially if you're used to the cross D-padthat nintendo uses, or the circle/rocker type D-padthat sega used or logitech etc still currently uses. It has a very different tactile feel to it, even if it's in the same position on a gamepad where you'd expect a D-pad I think anyone who's used to the cross/circle type D-pads is gonna treat it the same way. Mind you I hate the playstation controller D-pads and also haven't owned a console since the megadrive so

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are you guys still going on about something that takes like 5 minutes to get over?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dogstile posted:

Are you guys still going on about something that takes like 5 minutes to get over?

Yes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The Switch "dpad" feels so goddamn good to use I can't imagine anyone complaining about it. I'm glad they went with it instead of putting a tiny lovely one like they did in the 3ds lines. If the buttons were any bigger it wouldn't work but at this size hitting two at once for a diagonal is a complete non issue.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Ehhhhh four seperate buttons is not intuitively the same thing as a D-pad and I don't think it's expected of anyone to use it the same way you would a D-pad, especially if you're used to the cross D-padthat nintendo uses, or the circle/rocker type D-padthat sega used or logitech etc still currently uses. It has a very different tactile feel to it, even if it's in the same position on a gamepad where you'd expect a D-pad I think anyone who's used to the cross/circle type D-pads is gonna treat it the same way. Mind you I hate the playstation controller D-pads and also haven't owned a console since the megadrive so

Has it ever occurred to you that the issue you're having here with disliking what are commonly accepted as excellent dpads may be due to the fact that you haven't owned a console in nearly two decades?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, it's just been generally accepted that the PS3/PS4 dpads have far and away been the best options for a while. If those are bad in your opinion, what dpads are good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The four buttons the switch has is definitely great. You never get the wrong direction and if you want to to a diagonal, you just roll your thumb to also press another button.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yesssssssss

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1020112660778561536

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oh poo poo. Time to boot that up again.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Too bad the game is bad and antifun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PureRok posted:

:chloe:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

85 hours, 120 Shrines, All captured memories, and enough Korok seeds later, I decided to leave the last few side quests I had remaining to check out Hyrule Castle and the final boss. I wasn't disappointed. Its not the hardest final boss by any stretch but certainly fun and memorable. Certainly got more than my money's worth out of this game and I'm sure I'll get the DLC in future, although to avoid Zelda fatigue I think I'll put it down for a bit, also because I really want to play DKC Tropical Freeze.

Summary of the 85 hours;

https://twitter.com/Jintendo1/status/1019360136882737158

Is that your first playthrough, and did you use online maps?

Im on my first playthrough and Ive played double the amount of time you did and I still have a lot of shrines to go, along with a divine beast and ganon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PureRok posted:

Mario Kart 8? Huh??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PureRok posted:

At least put some effort into your troll posts.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

PureRok posted:

ChocNitty posted:

Is that your first playthrough, and did you use online maps?

Im on my first playthrough and Ive played double the amount of time you did and I still have a lot of shrines to go, along with a divine beast and ganon.

Yes and yes. I found about two thirds-ish of the Shrines buggering about on my own. The rest I used a guide for. Locations only, actually tackling the shrines I went without a guide because its fun to try and cheese it if you can't figure out the 'normal' way to complete a shrine. I also did a lot of fast travel if I had an idea of where to go. I also skipped out a decent amount of side quests (Fetch quests from the looks of it) I had remaining because I was at a point where I felt I wanted to really tackle Hyrule Castle and the final boss. This left a few bits of the map unexplored for me. A bit of that was also intentional as I'd like to give Master Mode a go in the future, and by leaving some of the optional stuff still alien to me it adds to the incentive to tackle Master Mode. Going to the Gerudo Desert first and doing everything there including Vah Naboris being my first divine beast left me stupidly over-powered (Which posters here did point out after I'd done that). The game was still highly enjoyable but the challenge dropped off massively for me after leaving the desert.

e: I think when I come back to the game with the DLC I'll do much less fast travel. The last two evenings I spent playing before going to Hyrule Castle I feel like I rushed by using fast travel everywhere. If I had the travellers journey (is that the name?) thingy from the DLC it'd be the usually squiggly lines and then suddenly a bunch of dots where I've Star Trek beamed all over the place.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 20, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PureRok posted:

I wouldn't go that far, it does it pretty boring though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The next lull I have in new releases I'm definitely going to start a new game with no HUD or teleporting and with as little use of the map as possible. I'd like to just wander organically; I don't think I'll ever activate the towers, I actually don't know if it's required or not, but if not I'll probably go up them as look-out points but I'll ignore them otherwise.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't think I'll ever activate the towers,

That's actually an interesting playthrough idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Now I really want to do a "no fast travel, little climbing, some gliding" run as some of my favorite times in this game were just exploring on horseback and figuring out the "real" way you were supposed to get to areas. Like I had no idea there is a path available to some of the towers, I would just cowardly climb around poo poo.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Climbing's fine IMO. Climbing to the highest point in the area and paragliding off to far away lands with a few stamina potions is something else.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s why on my second run I opt for more stamina than hearts first. I have 2 1/4 stamina wheels now and I think 16 hearts. Making heart boosting meals is easier ingredient wise than stamina boosters

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm working on a minimal fast travel run myself (if i gently caress up and fall off something I'll fast travel myself back up; and I'll use the Travel Medallion when I get it), and it's really made me appreciate the landscape a lot more.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

e: I think when I come back to the game with the DLC I'll do much less fast travel. The last two evenings I spent playing before going to Hyrule Castle I feel like I rushed by using fast travel everywhere. If I had the travellers journey (is that the name?) thingy from the DLC it'd be the usually squiggly lines and then suddenly a bunch of dots where I've Star Trek beamed all over the place.

Don't use fast travel for your second playthrough. It's fun and you find some cool stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Climbing's fine IMO. Climbing to the highest point in the area and paragliding off to far away lands with a few stamina potions is something else.

Climbing is fine, but what's also fine is seeing how many places you can get without it. There's trails, ladders, even elevators etc all over the place purely for the purpose of getting you places without having to climb. And I like finding them! Almost every time you really truly are required to climb there's regular footholds so you won't have to use more than that first unaugmented stamina bar.

I think it's a bit of a waste, really. Lots of neat world design goes unnoticed by a majority of players who do the natural thing and just climb over everything. I feel like they could've afforded to make some places that are actually impossible to get to before you upgrade stamina/ amass lots of stamina potions, but I think that would've gone against their design ethos.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6ub-Z7snI

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i appreciate the landscape and pathing designs, yes, but i appreciate the fact they let me do whatever i want more.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I think it's a waste that they put so much effort into something that most people will skip. It's like they designed most of the world without realizing players would be able to climb all over everything. I wish they'd designed the world a bit more around the climbing mechanic.

Although, thinking about it, if the world were built in such a way that it constantly expected you to climb everything everywhere, I don't think climbing would feel as good as it does now. Then you wouldn't be "outsmarting" the design every time you go over something, which is half the reason it feels so liberating. I guess there's no perfect solution.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:emptyquote:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmbo

https://twitter.com/Chaofanatic/status/1020836306027499520

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Since you can climb anything and are invited to do so you wish they would have designed the world to be climbed more?