Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Does seem sorta likely given that he got face time and some uncanny insight into how dangerous Ippo actually would be in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who wants to see a real life ippo fight

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1020605732306259968

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1229 is out!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm way too lazy to do it but I want to see every Umezawa reaction panel side by side.

Also hey, it's that guy. I'd pretty much forgotten about him.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welp, time for Miyata to lose his belt. He seriously looks half dead.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
drat... That is the most emotion I ever seen out of him. He took Ippo retiring really hard. I forgot the mangka was Ippos former bully...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

drat... That is the most emotion I ever seen out of him. He took Ippo retiring really hard. I forgot the mangka was Ippos former bully...

:doh: Christ, I forgot about that too, no wonder Umezawa kept doing dogeza.

edit: Okay, rereading it back with that in mind makes the entire schtick funny instead of confusing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 24, 2018

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This guy fucks, though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
has ippo hosed yet now he's actually in a relationship

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh I completely forgot about that too that makes the whole thing way funnier

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

One of these days he'll hold hands or something naughty like that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jose posted:

shounen rules, no banging until the last chapter.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yoh Asakura banged like 1/3 of the way through

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Umezawa continues to be the best character.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I haven't checked this thread since around May, glad to see there's some actual updates.

Also

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: Okay, rereading it back with that in mind makes the entire schtick funny instead of confusing.

This makes so much more sense. I haven't gone back to those old chapters since I first read them years ago and completely forgot about that. The problem with having a manga that's literally as old as I am.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Just thought to mention since it's kind of a big thing, but 1215 is officially the last chapter with I-O. Puar (uncredited on their scans, but who's been involved with the joint since it began) has been boggled down by real life like most responsible people, and oni (the tl) chose to wait for him. Mangastream decided to move on without them for the rest of the series.

I figure nobody will notice or care cuz who really cares about credits on illegal mangos, but it was my best friend's passion project for almost 15 years and I wanted to put that out somewhere for someone to read it, at least :unsmith:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ignis posted:

Just thought to mention since it's kind of a big thing, but 1215 is officially the last chapter with I-O. Puar (uncredited on their scans, but who's been involved with the joint since it began) has been boggled down by real life like most responsible people, and oni (the tl) chose to wait for him. Mangastream decided to move on without them for the rest of the series.

I figure nobody will notice or care cuz who really cares about credits on illegal mangos, but it was my best friend's passion project for almost 15 years and I wanted to put that out somewhere for someone to read it, at least :unsmith:

Now in a weird parallel your friend is going to start taking up boxing right?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ignis posted:

I care. He did real good work. And I’m glad they brought Ippo for us to read because as it can be seen not many like taking up the project.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ignis posted:

Nah, it's good to know this. Mangastream is where I first started reading Ippo so your friend's work is what got me into it. So those translators have my appreciation.

On another note, Chapter 1230 has been translated. When cutting weight goes wrong!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i mean, the draw back into boxing has to be ippo catching miyata for a fight prior to him being completely unable to stay at featherweight. i wish this would hurry up

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1231 is out.
Miyata has lost his boxing boner.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Huzzah! posted:

chapter 1231 is out.
Miyata has lost his boxing boner.

Oh yes, cause this is a GREAT reason for Ippo to come out of retirement and risk permanent injury to himself...

"I have to start boxing again! Miyata-kun is BORED!"

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's been a while since I read old chapters so was 'the world' ever actually given a real goal to reach (like a title to gain or fighter to beat) or was it always just some intangible international that the series never bothered to explain? I vaguely remember some guy called Ricardo who was meant to be The Level of the World but that was probably hundreds of chapters ago.

The last concrete thing about this series I remember is Takamaru vs Hawk because everything about it from the lead-up to the fight to the aftermath fuckin' ruled, but I can't remember a single event or Ippo opponent after it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pierson posted:

I vaguely remember some guy called Ricardo who was meant to be The Level of the World but that was probably hundreds of chapters ago.

Ricardo Martinez is still the reigning featherweight champion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh yes, cause this is a GREAT reason for Ippo to come out of retirement and risk permanent injury to himself...

"I have to start boxing again! Miyata-kun is BORED!"

it's not really a risk, more an absolute certainty due to ippo's boxing style.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pierson posted:

I vaguely remember some guy called Ricardo who was meant to be The Level of the World but that was probably hundreds of chapters ago.

ricardo was one of the founders of classical economics iirc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HnI is all some tortured metaphor where Ippo represents communism.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but ippo isn't inevitably going to defeat him?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It's nice to see that Miyata feels the same way about his own story arcs as I do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

but ippo isn't inevitably going to defeat him?

Or is he??? Maybe this temporary retirement is reflective of the post-USSR "end of history" period.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Pierson posted:

It's been a while since I read old chapters so was 'the world' ever actually given a real goal to reach (like a title to gain or fighter to beat) or was it always just some intangible international that the series never bothered to explain? I vaguely remember some guy called Ricardo who was meant to be The Level of the World but that was probably hundreds of chapters ago.

The last concrete thing about this series I remember is Takamaru vs Hawk because everything about it from the lead-up to the fight to the aftermath fuckin' ruled, but I can't remember a single event or Ippo opponent after it.

ricardo martinez is still the #1 boxer in the featherweight class by a long time (the author says hes 2nd to takamura in sheer talent overall) and is, as with many characters, a bastardized version of an AnJ character (bantamweight world champ Jose Mendoza). whereas the latter had a pretty detailed and interesting character, ricardo is more or less just.. there. he's very good and very absent.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

takamura should beat up ricardo

not in a formal boxing match just they meet in a bar and yell at eachother for a bit

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But only if there are any dumb, penis-grabbing shenanigans.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1232 is out.
Miyata yearns the touch of Ippo's Pro Punches.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Holy gently caress Miyata you whiny bitch.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

To be fair to Miyata, getting beaten like that certainly would make him feel closer to Ippo.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1233 is out.
:bignews: Miyata is a cat person. Well, maybe a Grue person. Not sure.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I can't tell if that's Ippo or Volg.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoy everyone trying to guilt Ippo for quitting after two consecutive losses due to what is basically confirmed CTE.

Oh, what an rear end in a top hat, he let his rivals down quitting over a trivial thing like brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not gonna lie I kinda got pissed that Ippo looking reject is guilt tripping Ippo. Like gently caress off