Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I just realized our mistake. We're thinking that the medical gameplay is for the FPS sections but we already know that those will be more lethal than COD so people will just kill you and that will be the end of it.

But this medic theory crafting is coming on the heels of the Tier Zero mining gameplay, and we've seen already that if you mine a rock incorrectly, it can have explosive results. But once the explosion has happened, there aren't followup shootings to come, so you can lie crippled on the floor fideliously.

Star Citizen is setting us up for space industrial accidents and recovery gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Geno is the way.
The path is the way.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Guest designer Elon Musk with his Dead Kid Sub

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

doingitwrong posted:

I just realized our mistake. We're thinking that the medical gameplay is for the FPS sections but we already know that those will be more lethal than COD so people will just kill you and that will be the end of it.

But this medic theory crafting is coming on the heels of the Tier Zero mining gameplay, and we've seen already that if you mine a rock incorrectly, it can have explosive results. But once the explosion has happened, there aren't followup shootings to come, so you can lie crippled on the floor fideliously.

Star Citizen is setting us up for space industrial accidents and recovery gameplay.

I'm looking forward to blowing my arms off while mining, suing my employer and living on space disability checks for the rest of my spaceman career.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Spatial posted:

:drat:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Spatial posted:

:emptyquote:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Blue On Blue posted:

Also I'm the what looks like a single piece of clear material the patient is lying on, without struts every 5 inches to keep it together. Hmmmmmm

That is sci fi transparent metal you absolute fool

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm the complete lack of cervical-spine support, and I'm also the bizarre metal wedge you have to rest your dome on

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The only transparent part of this project.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Calling it now, if it ever gets into the game, it will have ship flying physics.
A player can get in and WHOOSH, it will tumble a million km into the air with the player still strapped on it.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

happyhippy posted:

Calling it now, if it ever gets into the game, it will have ship flying physics.
A player can get in and WHOOSH, it will tumble a million km into the air with the player still strapped on it.

Its a player-filled torpedo.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Does it punch above its weight though?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Also, like how do you fit fat people in there? CIG doesnt think about their core audience

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

"You are too fat sir, please proceed to the airlock." Expanse style

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bioterrorism is in!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

AutismVaccine posted:

Also, like how do you fit fat people in there? CIG doesnt think about their core audience

Everything in Store Citizer is distinctly average.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

Its a player-filled torpedo.

Press "F" to pay respect.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

DapperDon posted:

well played

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Dooguk posted:

Everything in Store Citizer is distinctly average.

Nah, the backers dont have average intelligence.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

DapperDon posted:

It's worse than that he's dead Jim.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
ITT:

TROLLED YA

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Half Life had (though heavily scripted) AI that took cover and threw grenades and poo poo in 1998. In 2005 F.E.A.R. had good shooter AI that took cover and seemed to work together to try to kill you.

It's 2018, they're building a game in a FPS engine and after 6 years they're still greyboxing AI

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dooguk posted:

It's worse than that he's dead Jim.

Dammit Jim, I'm a mopper, not a doctor.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWITCH: Relay is Live!

After a few weeks away, Erris is back! I wonder if he’ll meltdown about the refund story...

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ha ha that's a good title.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

G0RF posted:

TWITCH: Relay is Live!

After a few weeks away, Erris is back! I wonder if he’ll meltdown about the refund story...

24 viewers! :toot:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

happyhippy posted:

I disagree -- it'll have pilot seat physics. A player will "get in" via an overly long mocapped animation sequence and become part of the object, and possibly be exiled to the dark void where their limbs are perpetually twisted and twitching as their head jiggles randomly in all directions at once.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

24 viewers! :toot:

64 now, 60% goons.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, good callout. Refactoring isn't something the users can notice directly, other than speeding up development. This is bug fixing or like you said, starting on work they've been lying about lmao.

It's not even bug fixing - if we use semantic versioning then 1.0 -> 2.0 is a completely new product - same name, same rough purpose, but completely incompatible with 1.x versions. If I refactor my code the patch notes look like;

* 1.0.1 Refactor code to not be poo poo please note that this is identical in all aspects to 1.0.0 except the code is not actual stinking faeces dripping off the sides of the dev server. *please make sure v1.0.0 never gets released to the public like Star Citizer I would never live down the shame*

v1 -> v2 is something you do once you've released and new technologies and methods are available to improve your product and you need to break compatibility to make a fairly huge jump forwards. It's not something that happens in pre-alpha ever. Not unless you have some seriously hosed management and everything you've written needs to be done again from scratch as completely. It happens post-release in most circumstances, there are plenty of solid, well coded products out there that take a loving decade and more to get from v1->v2.

I have a released product on v1.12.4 which has more features complete than SC at the moment, and the next product in the pipeline is v0.1.56 because you don't loving go above v0 until it's usable (I've always used v0.1 for 'feature incomplete', v0.2 for a pre-alpha for internal testing, v0.3 for alpha, and v1.0beta/rc for anything that might possibly see release. Internal refactors can take it the minor version upwards, but if you do good, they aren't required)

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the complete lack of cervical-spine support, and I'm also the bizarre metal wedge you have to rest your dome on

They were in a hurry designing it because being a medic is going to be a full time job in the 'verse! You get the comm that somebody needs help, have to order your ship and get in it, then fly it to who knows where.

An hour and 3 crashes later, you finally get to the scene where there is a player appearing to be too injured to move. You spawn a gurney, place the PC onto it and he falls right through! Woops! You finally get him onto the space gurney on the 5th attempt. Then you get him onto the boarding ramp where the ship flies off into the distance faster than you've ever seen it move. Now you're stuck on some rock in the middle of nowhere with a half corpse on a space cot.

And then the inevitable consequences of citizen interaction begin to happen...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They are theorycrafting about toilets.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

big nipples big life posted:

Regular toilets or alien toilets?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does it matter?

6 years, 200 million dollars, no game but you can theorycraft about loving toilets.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just imagine how it's going to feel when it's 10 years and 300 million dollars

I wonder if by then they'll have more than 1 system. Is that even on the road map? Is there any implied or described mechanic for going to other systems?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

cynic posted:

semantic versioning
Uh, Elite is at version 3.x so that's where we need to be

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Are the pipelines ready for it?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
Here is an apparently up to date ship list:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Spatial posted:

Uh, Elite is at version 3.x so that's where we need to be

I currently work with software that's been under development for as long as computers exist - we have developers who've been working on the same product for 30 years. Version 4 isn't even in alpha yet (slated for next year). It's kind of cool to work with people who've been developing software since before the word 'software' was actually invented. One of the ladies I work with cut her teeth on COBOL-68 and called me a 'loving newb, but one of the alright ones' and I'm good with that because she was writing critical systems while I was still making GBS threads in a diaper.

cynic fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 21, 2018