Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

sensy v2.0 posted:

It’s not centered. The only centered weapons are Q1 LG, RL, NG and SNG.

What about the Q1 boom stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Social Animal posted:

So I think with these playlists no mode will be custom only. It will be like overwatch in a sense where you hit play and a mode is decided for you.

Although your setup seems alright if they had a server browser for the custom games. I do want to see CTF in ranked though.

I think their problem is they don't have enough of a player base for the modes they have now. So each mode splits a base and causes worse ques and hurts the game. Hence why I get morphing single and teams as they have done already.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
At the level I'm at now, it seems I'm either playing semi-serious quake veterans and getting smashed down in rank, or playing people who don't really know to pick up armour / health and rising back up to the semi-serious players again. 1200-1300 seems to have the wildest disparity in skill levels, I can't imagine what it takes for people to surpass Gold rankings, short of being basically 100% accuracy on rails and LG.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

At the level I'm at now, it seems I'm either playing semi-serious quake veterans and getting smashed down in rank, or playing people who don't really know to pick up armour / health and rising back up to the semi-serious players again. 1200-1300 seems to have the wildest disparity in skill levels, I can't imagine what it takes for people to surpass Gold rankings, short of being basically 100% accuracy on rails and LG.

Aim, movement, powerup control.

Quake turns into a skill cliff fast. Also there are a lot of bots now.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

You can tell you entered dumb rear end in a top hat territory, because people stop saying GG or answering questions, and devolve to not giving you a GG on losing or just throwing out insults.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

way tooo much IG in solo going down

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm almost at 250k, which quake-man should I buy next?

I already have John Quake, Scale-bearer, BJ and DOOM-SLAYER.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Clash is really powerful right now (but definitely going to eat nerfs), Slash is the most fun.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Visor. If you want someone a little less top tier you can do Nyx. Nyx or Slash would be fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My vote will always be for Sorlag because bunny hop juking and acid vomit puking are two of a girl's favorite things

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

CJacobs posted:

My vote will always be for Sorlag because bunny hop juking and acid vomit puking are two of a girl's favorite things
Used to know a guy who played Quake 3 and used Bones, with the username "Ally McBeal". I'm sure if he was still around he'd play Sorlag with the same username and just run around vomiting on people

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Clutch is by far the most fun simply because of the air dodge. You instantly zoom to 600-700 and can maintain it for at least a little bit.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Anyone having any issues with sound? I play a lot of Slash, and often times after using her I can't hear any item pickups, jumps, or explosions.

Additionally, I have 3 monitors. At the game end screen where you get your favor and medals, the game does not allow me to use my mouse outside my borderless window. It's like everything is frozen. Anyone run into this?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Get Visor, Slash, Nyx.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Audax posted:

Anyone having any issues with sound? I play a lot of Slash, and often times after using her I can't hear any item pickups, jumps, or explosions.

Additionally, I have 3 monitors. At the game end screen where you get your favor and medals, the game does not allow me to use my mouse outside my borderless window. It's like everything is frozen. Anyone run into this?

The end of match stuff needs alot of work and I'm puzzled why it's taking so long.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

MysteriousStranger posted:

Get Visor, Slash, Nyx.

I would reccomend him get either Visor or Slash. Nyx is almost redundant if you stick to Slash. Visor is arguably better than both characters.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

when is ELO reset

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MysteriousStranger posted:

when is ELO reset

July 26th.
https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1020369709081006082?s=19

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm not sure how resetting things will allocate everyone into better rankings? If I meet someone in Silver who is actually really good and messed up their placements, then what's stopping them from simply rising rapidly through the ranks?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not for that purpose, it's because the game got a big influx of new players because of the F2P trial and now there is a big clump at the bottom that can't really reach the ones already at the top. There are a ton of low rank players and not nearly as many in the mid/high ranks so you're much less likely to get matched with people at around your skill level. This will result in a more even spread, probably, but I don't think that's the main goal of it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

quote:

It's not for that purpose, it's because the game got a big influx of new players because of the F2P trial and now there is a big clump at the bottom that can't really reach the ones already at the top.

But... Why not..? If they're good, then surely they should be rising out of Bronze, or whatever rank they're at. It's very easy to lose 100 SR in a mere hour if you have a losing streak (or gain it in an hour or two conversely). I honestly don't understand, sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're trying to stop the higher level ranks from being dominated by just a handful of players, by setting everybody back to 0. From there those players will surely rise to the top again, but because everyone is 0 it'll be much easier to find matches with players of all skill levels. This will give you a better idea of how you stand compared to other players, and thus a more accurate rank that has less to do with your playtime and more to do with your ability. That way the high level players will still be at the top, but there will be more varied steps on the way up to them from the bottom. At least, I think that's the theory behind it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 21, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

But... Why not..? If they're good, then surely they should be rising out of Bronze, or whatever rank they're at. It's very easy to lose 100 SR in a mere hour if you have a losing streak (or gain it in an hour or two conversely). I honestly don't understand, sorry.

Speed to proper rating advantages require reasonably thick populations along the curve. Large enough gaps in groups of players can create bi-modal clustering that prevents the two groups from interacting and correctly distributing ratings across them.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Still don't get that, sorry. If I make a new account in Street Fighter 5, I'll pretty quickly rise to the rank of my main account. Don't really see how it should be any different in another 1 vs 1 type game. Similarly, in that game - assuming the achievement stats are to be believed - a mere 8% of total players have even reached Gold rank, which in that game is quite low. The top ranks have even smaller percentages, but it's nowhere near as easy to check actual numbers. 16.1% have reached Silver, so you'd have to assume 4-5% at most have reached the next full rank after Gold (Platinum, again not really that high to be honest, probably the equivalent of a Quake player who has >35% LG aim, but can't strafejump, doesn't memorize item spawns, etc.).

These games are always going to be bottom heavy, there isn't a thing like 'ELO Hell' to blame because your losses are yours to own. I think I belong in my ranking, at worst I've met a few players who said they were misplaced because they messed up their placements, but they presumably rose up the ranks.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Still don't get that, sorry. If I make a new account in Street Fighter 5, I'll pretty quickly rise to the rank of my main account. Don't really see how it should be any different in another 1 vs 1 type game. Similarly, in that game - assuming the achievement stats are to be believed - a mere 8% of total players have even reached Gold rank, which in that game is quite low. The top ranks have even smaller percentages, but it's nowhere near as easy to check actual numbers. 16.1% have reached Silver, so you'd have to assume 4-5% at most have reached the next full rank after Gold (Platinum, again not really that high to be honest, probably the equivalent of a Quake player who has >35% LG aim, but can't strafejump, doesn't memorize item spawns, etc.).

These games are always going to be bottom heavy, there isn't a thing like 'ELO Hell' to blame because your losses are yours to own. I think I belong in my ranking, at worst I've met a few players who said they were misplaced because they messed up their placements, but they presumably rose up the ranks.

I don't know... how many of those 92% sub-Gold players are inactive players, people who almost never play ranked, or just straight up smurfs? So I think your example is misleading.

Because, anecdotally, in SF5 I played a few ranked games once and even now more than a year since my last ranked game I'm still classified as Bronze even though I'm just an inactive player who has fun doing Arcade Mode from time to time.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The problem is less about new players or median group players, and more about outlier groups sitting on islands. New players won't have trouble getting a fast match or moving up in rankings. What they will have a problem doing is crossing large gaps in ratings that exist for a variety of reasons (long time in between resets, large change in pops, changes in matchmaking algorithms) and the veteran players on the other side of those gaps are having troubles matching with New players waves as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Think about it this way. Let's say for demonstration's sake that 0-100 is bronze, ~100-200 is silver, and ~200-300 is gold. The majority of the players will be in high bronze/low silver, with the rest in silver at various stages, and the top players and middling 'best' at high silver and gold. This is how these systems are generally designed: It's really hard to stay at the top ranks because of how quickly you lose them and how few players are up there with you, and easier to break out of the bottom because that's where most of the players are. Therefore, it fluctuates somewhere around the middle.

But the problem Quake has encountered is that it's not an even enough spread. In this example, let's say a huge chunk of players are at 0-50, not even close to the 100 they need to get up to silver. For those people it will be extremely hard to get to silver and reach that tier of players because the only people they will get matched with is each other. They will either gain ranks very slowly or not at all because matches against people with a higher rank are very hard to find. Repeat for the silver tier and you've got the 'islands' MJBuddy is speaking of where people are generally stuck fluctuating within their current rank grouping but they can't break out of it.

In this scenario, ranking up has nothing to do with your actual skill level as a player, and more about who you are matched up with and what their rank is. Hence why a reset is necessary, because it's a fast and easy way to fix that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 22, 2018

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Think about it this way. Let's say for demonstration's sake that 0-100 is bronze, ~100-200 is silver, and ~200-300 is gold. The majority of the players will be in high bronze/low silver, with the rest in silver at various stages, and the top players and middling 'best' at high silver and gold. This is how these systems are generally designed: It's really hard to stay at the top ranks because of how quickly you lose them and how few players are up there with you, and easier to break out of the bottom because that's where most of the players are. Therefore, it fluctuates somewhere around the middle.

But the problem Quake has encountered is that it's not an even enough spread. In this example, let's say a huge chunk of players are at 0-50, not even close to the 100 they need to get up to silver. For those people it will be extremely hard to get to silver and reach that tier of players because the only people they will get matched with is each other. They will either gain ranks very slowly or not at all because matches against people with a higher rank are very hard to find. Repeat for the silver tier and you've got the 'islands' MJBuddy is speaking of where people are generally stuck fluctuating within their current rank grouping but they can't break out of it.

In this scenario, ranking up has nothing to do with your actual skill level as a player, and more about who you are matched up with and what their rank is. Hence why a reset is necessary, because it's a fast and easy way to fix that.

You're going to have to remake this argument each time there is another huge influx of players though, or even modest one. This isn't really how EOL systems work or why "EOL HELL" exists to some.

If you jump in and you're a silver player it will not take you that long to dominate through bronze. The "gaps" as they exist are sort of surface tension issues. You're actually low silver, but you are stuck in high bronze because you never get the experience to punt into silver consistently, so you surf the edges of the bubble between silver and bronze but never burst into silver.

The larger problem Quake has now is there aren't that many players and a huge loving chunk of them are some sort of veteran.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't know... how many of those 92% sub-Gold players are inactive players, people who almost never play ranked, or just straight up smurfs? So I think your example is misleading.

Because, anecdotally, in SF5 I played a few ranked games once and even now more than a year since my last ranked game I'm still classified as Bronze even though I'm just an inactive player who has fun doing Arcade Mode from time to time.

ggs tonight duder

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Used to know a guy who played Quake 3 and used Bones, with the username "Ally McBeal". I'm sure if he was still around he'd play Sorlag with the same username and just run around vomiting on people

loving lol

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

dunno what it is lately but I've been really liking the plasma/nails on some maps. Like a loty.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
played a handful of games since it was given out for free and its pretty cool i guess since i never expected to be playing Quake again in 2018

overall the presentation is better than expected and the character abilities seem fun from what i've seen, all without taking itself too seriously

already have about half the favor needed to unlock a character so i guess there isn't much of a grind?

the default dire orb is pretty great so i don't even care. i test drove the lizard and mohawk ones and they are alright but having glanced at the rest of the characters, Nyx and Scalebearer seem to be the most interesting to me

Strogg's abilities seem pretty good too?

the trail skating ability also looks fun but probably more effort than its worth on most maps

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Scalebearer was also free? Just complete the tutorial, and he's there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Without buying anything, you have access to Ranger, Scalebearer, and whatever the rotating champion-of-the-week is.

Just enough characters to enter the duel mode.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
:bignews:

lol thanks! didn't think to even look for one since each character has a little video that demonstrates their abilities.

guess i'll buy Nyx with my funbux then. can't resist playing characters that literally turn invisible in almost every game that allows it.

that sort of shadowstep/walljump combo seems really useful in duels

does the metalface wallhax guy track you when it is active?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, but it makes him really good for corner camping because you can see when someone is just about to come around a corner with (presumably) no idea you're there watching them. Being temporarily omniscient lets you be a real dick, as it turns out!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Jabor posted:

Without buying anything, you have access to Ranger, Scalebearer, and whatever the rotating champion-of-the-week is.

Just enough characters to enter the duel mode.

Wait isn't BJ free as well? I only started in maybe June and I've got Ranger, Scalebearer, BJ and Doom (which I unlocked with favour), or did I somehow unlock him another way?

Do champs sometimes come in reliquaries as well, or was that an older way of getting them?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Clutch can see Nyx’ silhouette through his shield if it’s active and he’s looking the right way.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Can't Visor also see her or am I just dreaming? I swear he can see Strogg's bright outline in red when he's deploying Peeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Wait isn't BJ free as well? I only started in maybe June and I've got Ranger, Scalebearer, BJ and Doom (which I unlocked with favour), or did I somehow unlock him another way?

Do champs sometimes come in reliquaries as well, or was that an older way of getting them?

Only Ranger and Scalebearer are free. They have a rotating freebie but if you've got BJ you did something :)

Maybe it used to come from a reliquary? poo poo seemed way different in the early closed alpha I can't remember. I think lots of stuff got wiped but then some stuff at some point didn't? Don't know.