Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do console commands mark you save if you're not already playing Ironman? I couldn't be arsed to wait 50 months to jump in and claim the Enigmatic Fortress given that the slaver empire surrounding it hasn't done so by 2541.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

OwlFancier posted:

Next level play is picking nonadaptive and life seeded, can't have colonization penalties if you can't colonize anywhere anyway :smuggo:

This is how I did it, used the trait points to get Venerable then beelined leader lifespan bonuses. My ruler isn't going to start checking for death until 2402. :v:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vengarr posted:

I want more green space babes. What is the point of exploring the cosmos if the stars are all gonna be populated with fugly fungus men? It’s enough to make a guy fanatically purify.

Also Kirk was the best captain

I’ve said it multiple times, but I still REALLY want a “b-movie” species pack. New ship designs that look like flying saucers and Flash Gordon rocketships, and races of aliens that look like big-brain monster-men, green and blue space women in silver bikinis, Dalek rip-offs, weird blobs with stalk eyeballs, the works.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Weird; are you going into that fight with less fleet power than them? I've only ever tried to fight them with my standard 40 Cruiser fleets, and lose like 3 at most.
Would have to go back and check the save, if it's still around. Since the changes to fleet cap my standard fleets usually consist of 20x corvettes (with the ripper/plasma combo) and usuall 10x destroyers (with an even mix of PD/torpedoes). After that it's usually an assorted mix of cruisers fitted with a mass driver/plasma weapons and if I'm far enough along battleships with a mix of M and L mounts. When I was first experimenting with ways to counter them it was after unwittingly unleashing them on the galaxy too soon so fleet strength was probably a little over what they could field. Just kept getting mauled over and over until I added a ton of PD and found they weren't nearly as effective.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Applewhite posted:

I’ve said it multiple times, but I still REALLY want a “b-movie” species pack. New ship designs that look like flying saucers and Flash Gordon rocketships, and races of aliens that look like big-brain monster-men, green and blue space women in silver bikinis, Dalek rip-offs, weird blobs with stalk eyeballs, the works.

I'd love to see this both as cosmetics and as a crisis type. It can be Stellaris' Sunset Invasion.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anticheese posted:

I'd love to see this both as cosmetics and as a crisis type. It can be Stellaris' Sunset Invasion.

You know how every species type has a little soundbyte whenever you open comms with them? The not-Daleks could have a unique one that just says “E-LI-MI-NATE” or something. I could see them being a pretty decce endgame crisis. Instead of just defeating a million points worth of fleets maybe the player would have to destroy some kind of doomsday device Megastructure scheduled to go off after a hundred years or something.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Do I want to run everyone in Utopian Abundance or Academic privilege? It already have over 600 of each research at 11 corr systems thanks to a recovered Science Nexus.
Turns out I was on Decent. Just went to Academic Privilege and my minerals production went UP by 139 units. Literally everything is up. This owns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vengarr posted:

I want more green space babes. What is the point of exploring the cosmos if the stars are all gonna be populated with fugly fungus men? It’s enough to make a guy fanatically purify.

Also Kirk was the best captain

Riker went to a feminist matriarchy world and banged their queen within like six hours

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ms Adequate posted:

Riker went to a feminist matriarchy world and banged their queen within like six hours

Riker should have been the captain

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
gently caress the B-movie species pack could be called the “Wood Update” for sci fi director Ed Wood.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Staltran posted:

While you certainly don’t need to minmax—hell, I actually played lifeseeded non-adaptive in my last mp game—that doesn’t mean non-adaptive is good. And while there are ways to compensate for happiness, compensating for <20% habitability is much harder, especially if you’re spiritualist. You can’t really count on finding Xuracorp early, and without the gel you’ll likely need two +5% techs to colonize most planets with non-adaptive. Admittedly I thought the second one is tier 2 too and not tier 3 like I thought, but that’s still quite a delay. I also wouldn’t usually research those techs early normally.

You might be surprised. Habitability isn't as important as it used to be, since it doesn't form a hard cap on happiness anymore. And non-adaptive is just a 10% penalty. You can still colonize most planets, and if not there's always robots, terraforming, or genetic manipulation. Or like in my current game, go from being Life-Seeded non-adaptive tree pacifists to worm-loving Tomb Dwellers who took the blue pill and are now surfing around in the Shroud while their population explodes. I got worried for a second when the Great Khan took power in 2305 and immediately started crusading through my world's, but then I managed to take him down with the help of wormhole dunk from a machine empire across the map. Living The Dream.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 21, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Referring to the discussion on building and tech a couple pages ago, I always build war factory(or the bio version)/shield generator for every single planet, thanks to them adding research benefits to them they help planetary defense/army production and also act as slightly shittier science labs.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Across a dozen or so games I’ve played since the Khanate was introduced, the Khan has never been more than a joke. They always have spawned far away from my empire and hosed up one or two other empires before imploding.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah you say that right until they're in your half of the galaxy and lol whoops now they're conquering your space within a year and a half with multiple 20k fleets

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How is the trading gameplay in this game? Building and running a trading empire is my favourite thing about EU 4 and I am wondering if it works similarly here? It seems like there isn't the same trade flows like EU 4 has.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

How is the trading gameplay in this game? Building and running a trading empire is my favourite thing about EU 4 and I am wondering if it works similarly here? It seems like there isn't the same trade flows like EU 4 has.

check back in a year or two

stellaris does really need trade flow of some kind to create a better sense of galactic geography but it also needs the upcoming vicky-like pop system revamp to provide a motivation for trade in the first place

on the other hand the game is great right now even without eu4-style trade

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

OwlFancier posted:

Next level play is picking nonadaptive and life seeded, can't have colonization penalties if you can't colonize anywhere anyway :smuggo:

Did this in my current game, the universe decided to throw two random, non holy Gaia worlds at me within two jumps of my starting system, one of which was size TWENTY FOUR, and the opening event for paridayda just popped.

Midgame crunch lookin a lot less crunchy :getin:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I mean, there's overhauling an aspect of a game, and then there's overhauling it.

God drat.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm in like 2340; is there something that just offs Fallen Empires before you get to them at this point? I definitely had my game set to spawn in 1-3 but unless they're confined to like 3 systems it seems like there aren't any at all. I went for the default difficulty to learn the ropes again which has meant most of my AI rivals are pretty underwhelming by now, so I was kind of looking forward to a showdown.

Also, what difficulty do most people play on? For that matter, any "default" settings beyond the normal ones in the game? I went for minimal hyperlane connections which may have been another mistake since it's been way too easy to force chokepoints.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There are a couple that can fit in a tiny cluster of systems but you probably had the bug where only one or none spawn despite setting it to 5.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Applewhite posted:

gently caress the B-movie species pack could be called the “Wood Update” for sci fi director Ed Wood.

I love this idea.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kaal posted:

You might be surprised. Habitability isn't as important as it used to be, since it doesn't form a hard cap on happiness anymore. And non-adaptive is just a 10% penalty. You can still colonize most planets, and if not there's always robots, terraforming, or genetic manipulation. Or like in my current game, go from being Life-Seeded non-adaptive tree pacifists to worm-loving Tomb Dwellers who took the blue pill and are now surfing around in the Shroud while their population explodes. I got worried for a second when the Great Khan took power in 2305 and immediately started crusading through my world's, but then I managed to take him down with the help of wormhole dunk from a machine empire across the map. Living The Dream.

You’re not able to colonize most planets at the start of the game with non-adaptive. You can only colonize planets in the same climate class and Gaia worlds. Most planets (the other two climate classes) will be 10% habitability. Terraforming is very expensive early game, and it takes a long time to get the tech for habitability modification genemodding. Even droids often take me until 2230ish to get. And even with droids not being able to get any of your organic pops on your colonies hurts, since it significantly slows down your population growth. You might luck out and get the pill anomaly or the Worm early, but that’s hardly reliable. Plus the worm will take a long time to complete early game.

Koramei posted:

I'm in like 2340; is there something that just offs Fallen Empires before you get to them at this point? I definitely had my game set to spawn in 1-3 but unless they're confined to like 3 systems it seems like there aren't any at all. I went for the default difficulty to learn the ropes again which has meant most of my AI rivals are pretty underwhelming by now, so I was kind of looking forward to a showdown.

Also, what difficulty do most people play on? For that matter, any "default" settings beyond the normal ones in the game? I went for minimal hyperlane connections which may have been another mistake since it's been way too easy to force chokepoints.

Generally Grand Admiral/Scaling, with 2275/2350 mid/endgame start years. I’ve been considering lowering that to 2250/2325 or something though. 0.75 tech/tradition cost if multiplayer, 1.0 in sp. No advanced starts. I think I leave everything else at default. I don’t think there are really any “default” settings though. Especially difficulty-wise you’re going to need to try out different settings to find out what works for you. And you probably want to vary the difficulty/start years depending on how good the build you’re playing is.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ugh, the endgame crisis hit and the entire game slowed down to the point of being unplayable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Captain Invictus posted:

There are a couple that can fit in a tiny cluster of systems but you probably had the bug where only one or none spawn despite setting it to 5.

Mine's set to five but I definitely only have 3. I wondered if it was bugged.

And I'd absolutely love a B-movie species pack. Not quite as much as I'd like a Silicon one though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Staltran posted:

You’re not able to colonize most planets at the start of the game with non-adaptive. You can only colonize planets in the same climate class and Gaia worlds. Most planets (the other two climate classes) will be 10% habitability. Terraforming is very expensive early game, and it takes a long time to get the tech for habitability modification genemodding. Even droids often take me until 2230ish to get. And even with droids not being able to get any of your organic pops on your colonies hurts, since it significantly slows down your population growth. You might luck out and get the pill anomaly or the Worm early, but that’s hardly reliable. Plus the worm will take a long time to complete early game.

Will I suppose the difference here is that I don't colonize 20% habitable planets regardless, because they take so many resources and grow so slowly. I always find a different way of doing it, even if that means using droids or bringing in other species. So for me non-adaptive doesn't seem as impactful.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
They don’t take more resources than other planets unless you resettle in people, which in turn alleviates the slower growth. They’re significantly worse than high habitability planets, of course, but they seem to still be well worth colonizing to me. Besides, the first few organic pops need much fewer growth points than when you’ve got 10+ organics on the planet. The eleventh organic pop takes almost twice as long as the second, and the 21st over thrice as long. You can also build robots once you’ve colonized the planet, which you can get much earlier than droids. If droids are good enough, a couple organics for unity and a bunch of robots should be as well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jazerus posted:

check back in a year or two

stellaris does really need trade flow of some kind to create a better sense of galactic geography but it also needs the upcoming vicky-like pop system revamp to provide a motivation for trade in the first place

on the other hand the game is great right now even without eu4-style trade

Cool, cool. I'm less interested in galaxy conquering and more interested in space exploration, strange new worlds (I tend to play these grand strategy games more as empire RPGs than as strategy games). So it sounds like I want the base game and Utopia and Leviathans and Distant Stars?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kaal posted:

Will I suppose the difference here is that I don't colonize 20% habitable planets regardless, because they take so many resources and grow so slowly. I always find a different way of doing it, even if that means using droids or bringing in other species. So for me non-adaptive doesn't seem as impactful.

Yeah, I don't bother colonizing below 60% habitability. The hit to Tradition and Science gain just doesn't seem worth it for a planet that won't really pay off until gene-modding. You might as well get gene-modding first and then colonize.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I feel like the people talking about low hab are forgetting that it doesn’t affect happiness anymore. Or I’m mistake. Which is possible and likely.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

doingitwrong posted:

There is no trade mechanic to speak of besides Civilization style (pre Civ5 BNW) "call the other leader on the phone and trade them resource A for resource B". There is a "trading hub" building in the game but all it does is add a flat +energy and doesn't interact with any other faction in any way.

Trade is something they want to implement in much more detail in the future though. So yeah like that guy said check back later, but if a trade empire is what you want there is nothing here for you right now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nightgull posted:

I feel like the people talking about low hab are forgetting that it doesn’t affect happiness anymore. Or I’m mistake. Which is possible and likely.

It directly decreases pop growth and pop productivity.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
Okay this game is hilarious, I’m into habitats with four Gaia worlds and my fleet is so massive all my neighbors are pathetic and my minerals are at -1 monthly but I still routinely cap out because people keep paying for one of my twenty goddamn four strategic resources. I’m never going to have a game like this again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I don't bother colonizing below 60% habitability. The hit to Tradition and Science gain just doesn't seem worth it for a planet that won't really pay off until gene-modding. You might as well get gene-modding first and then colonize.

just get your hands on another species, there's no reason to wait for gene-modding most of the time unless you're a xenophobe

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

Why won’t it pay off until genemodding? The only significant penalty is to pop growth, which you can deal with by building robots or resettling in people from high-habitability planets. Even if you don’t do that, the first few pops are pretty cheap, so you’ll at least get planetary admin pretty soon. It will take a few decades to grow enough for a capital, sure, but that seems acceptable to me. The science and tradition penalties aren’t that big. A planetary admin+heritage site+energy nexus if you have that tradition should be fine unity-wise, and a couple labs probably handles the science, since you likely have tile bonuses to work with. In the early game, you have few enough planets that it’s really easy for a planet to speed up your tech/tradition rate, too.

Personally, I never bother with habitability modification these days. By the time I get it my planets are probably full anyway, and I can just resettle people to any new planets I acquire. Genemodding their planet preferences seems like a lot of society research, and more importantly clicks and effort, for relatively little gain.

Jazerus posted:

just get your hands on another species, there's no reason to wait for gene-modding most of the time unless you're a xenophobe
But the filthy xenos probably have garbage traits! Why would you infest even more of your planets with them?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Staltran posted:

But the filthy xenos probably have garbage traits! Why would you infest even more of your planets with them?

diversity is good

also i use the xenology trait mod, so AI species are more likely to have something interesting and useful even if it's not ideal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

It directly decreases pop growth and pop productivity.

Yeah it's worse than happiness, because you can offset happiness problems, it just actively makes the planet flat not very good.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jazerus posted:

That's what I meant. The 60%-habitability cutoff applies to whatever species is colonizing it, not my main empire species. If you can't get a species with at least 60% habitability, wait till gene modding (or drop Droids on it).

Staltran posted:

Why won't it pay off until genemodding?

You're right that the growth rate penalty isn't that bad. However, there's also a significant penalty to resource gain (20% reduced gain at 20% habitability). There are considerable knock-on effects too--the (typically) low happiness of the population also adds a huge penalty to resource gain, up to another 20%. At 40% reduced resources, is the planet really worth it? Sometimes it is, but I find it very often isn't. The low happiness often leads to unrest that requires a garrison or Martial Law edicts, and unhappy pops are more likely to switch ethos, which means switching factions, which can mean reduced Influence gain.

Mid-to-late game, you can ameliorate the happiness problem somewhat by increasing living standards, or having a high Faction happiness. But it's a problem early-game. Going lower than 40% habitability mostly makes sense if it's strategically located. A chokepoint system with a habitable planet is often worth colonizing solely for the privilege of scattering fortresses all over the surface. This is the famous "Cadian Gate" strategy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
A cheesy sci fi movie pack is a great idea, and I'd like Paradox to do some more goofy fun stuff like that.

Sunset Invasion may have traumatized them too much though. :lol:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The happiness penalty only reaches -20% at 0%, which you shouldn’t reach. The happiness penalty is pretty small, so you should be fine unless you’re running impoverished living conditions. I’ve only ever had the low habitability cause unrest problems on planets with lots of slaves. Besides, a lot of the time most of the penalty is in the 40-60% happiness dead zone. The happiness penalty to production is also additive with other modifiers, and I believe the direct penalty from habitability is as well. Even early on you tend to have a bunch of bonuses from civics/traits/edicts/ruler skill and modifiers/governor etc, so the 20%+whatever the happiness penalty ends up being quite tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

A cheesy sci fi movie pack is a great idea, and I'd like Paradox to do some more goofy fun stuff like that.

Sunset Invasion may have traumatized them too much though. :lol:

sunset invasion should have taught them that they should do that more often though