Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Lizard Wizard posted:

who put skin on all this garlic?

wanna know a trick for loosening garlic skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

FOR THE REST I'M SUBBING GARLIC POWDER, MOVING ON.

Manifisto posted:

wanna know a trick for loosening garlic skin?

please!

Manifisto

common technique for a few cloves - lightly crush the cloves with the flat side of a chef's knife, which will loosen the skin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-El9WB0Ngb8

master technique for a whole bunch of cloves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

Scaly Haylie

Manifisto posted:

common technique for a few cloves - lightly crush the cloves with the flat side of a chef's knife, which will loosen the skin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-El9WB0Ngb8

master technique for a whole bunch of cloves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

oh yeah i was going to do that but i'm high and got overwhelmed. just rubbed spicy butter on my chicken.

Scaly Haylie

Scaly Haylie

Manifisto

:toot:

Robot Made of Meat

Manifisto posted:

agreed, although with chicken "heated through" does mean "cooked to at least the minimum internal temperature." undercooked or even raw beef is palatable to many, depending on your preferences. undercooked chicken is disgusting or downright inedible to most.

Oh definitely. I'll gladly nom on beef that's red and chilly in the center, but I do NOT screw around with undercooked chicken!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Looks like you done swell!

:toot:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Behold the miracle of life.

A Dutch Baby!

Pre-deflation

Post-deflation Post-powder sugaring

My current favorite breakfast dish to make using the recipe from the dad jokiest of cooking youtube channels - Food Wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxEFj7bgHI

Drizzle it with lemon juice. Maybe have some strawberries nearby. I don't know. Just make it and eat it.

Manifisto

chef john 4 lyfe

I grew up with david eyre pancakes, pretty much the same and so so good

your photos taunt me, I will need to get some kind of fix soon

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

Knife chat: I bought a cheap (Japanese) Chinese chef knife/vegetable cleaver from Amazon and sharpened it up and I like it a lot so far

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

hey the awful android app's "insert image" function works!

y'all are welcome to some of the risotto, just as soon as it's done cooking

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Let's trifle.

1 pint strawberries
sugar: half the weight of those strawberries or one cup who cares
pinch of salt
1 tsp lemon juice (okay I actually used red wine vinegar but it's what I had)

1 cup rhubarb, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into 1 cm wide pieces crosswise
sugar: half the weight of the rhubarb or half a cup IT'S ALL GOOD
2 Tbsp umeshu or other spirit if it pleases you
pinch of salt

about a cup and a half of castella cake, cut into cubes

a tsp or so hairy basil or chia seeds

clean and hull your strawberries and then mash them or blend them with sugar. add the salt and lemon juice. cook in a pot over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, and skim the white foam that rises, for twenty minutes. set aside to cool.

in a clean pot, cook rhubarb, sugar, salt, and umeshu or whatever over medium until rhubarb is tender. set aside to cool.

soak basil or chia seeds in cool water until all fat and cute. drain.

divide cake cubes between two serving bowls or jars or whatever moves you. spoon over rhubarb compote, which ideally has thickened a bit while cooling. pour over strawberry syrup as you like and top with the frog egg-esque hydrated seeds.

eat. in a good world, you'll give the other serving to a loved one.

you'll probably have leftover strawberry syrup. it's good in tea, soda, yogurt, milk, and everything. cool the syrup down further and you can use it to fill hand pies.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Manifisto

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Let's trifle.

1 pint strawberries
sugar: half the weight of those strawberries or one cup who cares
pinch of salt
1 tsp lemon juice (okay I actually used red wine vinegar but it's what I had)

1 cup rhubarb, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into 1 cm wide pieces crosswise
sugar: half the weight of the rhubarb or half a cup IT'S ALL GOOD
2 Tbsp umeshu or other spirit if it pleases you
pinch of salt

about a cup and a half of castella cake, cut into cubes

a tsp or so hairy basil or chia seeds

clean and hull your strawberries and then mash them or blend them with sugar. add the salt and lemon juice. cook in a pot over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, and skim the white foam that rises, for twenty minutes. set aside to cool.

in a clean pot, cook rhubarb, sugar, salt, and umeshu or whatever over medium until rhubarb is tender. set aside to cool.

soak basil or chia seeds in cool water until all fat and cute. drain.

divide cake cubes between two serving bowls or jars or whatever moves you. spoon over rhubarb compote, which ideally has thickened a bit while cooling. pour over strawberry syrup as you like and top with the frog egg-esque hydrated seeds.

eat. in a good world, you'll give the other serving to a loved one.

you'll probably have leftover strawberry syrup. it's good in tea, soda, yogurt, milk, and everything. cool the syrup down further and you can use it to fill hand pies.

that sounds amazing

POOL IS CLOSED

thank you!

trifles are really good. i encourage everyone to try making them. fools are also good and also humorous.

i like the trifle especially because you can use premade or leftover cake in it. i suppose there's nothing stopping me from using leftover pancakes or waffles or muffins either. you can use whatever jam or compotes you like and top with fresh or canned fruits and whipped cream or anything really, the possibilities are endless.

i think the traditional trifle actually soaks the cake in a spirit like rum or sherry but i added liquor to the compote so that was good enough for me.

you can make mega cute layered presentations. the fancy places here will serve them in pint Mason jars or very nice glasses so you can enjoy a cross sectional view of the layers.

poverty goat

I'm not a vegetarian or anything so idk what possessed me to buy some tofu at the asian grocery store today on a whim but kenji showed me how to cook it it and it turned out fine. Prep and cleanup were less hassle without the salmonella, and it crisped and stayed crisp in the sauce at least as well as chicken. as a battered and fried sauce-carrier nugget I give it 8 chickens out of 10; it did a good job and didn't get in the way but brought nothing to the table either beyond its presence and adherence to batter

naturally I didn't take any pics until I was done eating

also: I'm gay for the green sichuan peppercorns, they have such a cool taste

poverty goat

i kind of want to make it again but with paneer, my vegetarian protein cube of choice

MockingQuantum

I wish I could find green peppercorns around here, I'm sure they exist but I haven't stumbled across them yet

I find the key with tofu is that you really gotta press out the excess moisture, then throw it in a marinade or broth for a while

it still won't bring much explosive tofu flavor to the table but at least it'll be like that friend who just kind of shows up at parties and sits in a chair in the corner, but brings cool people with him (I am that friend)

thank you luvcow for the sig

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

can I be the chair?

poverty goat

I just ate a piece of leftover tofu out of the fridge and it's still crispy the next morning, what the gently caress

this is the most 2018 thing to happen so far

Papa Was A Video Toaster

poverty goat posted:

I just ate a piece of leftover tofu out of the fridge and it's still crispy the next morning, what the gently caress

this is the most 2018 thing to happen so far

Kenji is a real smart dude.

Scaly Haylie

garlic powder and onion powder whip rear end. i've started using them instead of the depressing as hell flavor bags that come with microwave noodles.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

celery seed, too (but grind it; celery salt if it’s your source of salt)

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

poverty goat posted:

I'm not a vegetarian or anything so idk what possessed me to buy some tofu at the asian grocery store today on a whim but kenji showed me how to cook it it and it turned out fine. Prep and cleanup were less hassle without the salmonella, and it crisped and stayed crisp in the sauce at least as well as chicken. as a battered and fried sauce-carrier nugget I give it 8 chickens out of 10; it did a good job and didn't get in the way but brought nothing to the table either beyond its presence and adherence to batter

naturally I didn't take any pics until I was done eating

also: I'm gay for the green sichuan peppercorns, they have such a cool taste

Does the vodka in the batter actually do anything?

joke_explainer

Entropic posted:

Does the vodka in the batter actually do anything?

Yeah, it inhibits gluten formation. Gluten makes those long chains that make dough... doughy and hold it together. This isn't really what you want with a crust, you don't just want a bunch of bread around it, it should be crumbly and cragged.

Here's the serious eats article on it. I've done it with full on fried chicken and it is better than without it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/use-vodka-for-crispier-fried-food.html

Manifisto

joke_explainer posted:

Yeah, it inhibits gluten formation. Gluten makes those long chains that make dough... doughy and hold it together. This isn't really what you want with a crust, you don't just want a bunch of bread around it, it should be crumbly and cragged.

Here's the serious eats article on it. I've done it with full on fried chicken and it is better than without it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/use-vodka-for-crispier-fried-food.html

that's neat! those vodka pie crust recipes are the real deal, too. I'm beginning to wonder what vodka can't do.

The X-man cometh
Be as good as gin in a martini?

It's essentially a flavorless alcohol/water mixture, which makes it really useful for all kinds of applications.

POOL IS CLOSED

Sardines on panzanella

I mostly followed the serious eats panzanella recipe, with a few deviations: king oscar sardines with peppercorns in olive oil (seriously delicious), a pinch of sugar during the tomato salting, balsamic vinegar instead of wine vinegar, chopped capers, and cheese (sliced sheeps milk cheese and cubed queso fresco). I used the leftover half of a sesame seed filone loaf. unlike the recipe, i toasted the cubes until golden. if you use something like multigrain or whole wheat, which tends to be tougher, just follow the recipe instead of letting the bread brown or it may be too tough to be very enjoyable.

FutonForensic

got a lot of tomatoes this year

SO

lil bit caprese

lil bit galette

Manifisto

FutonForensic posted:

SO

lil bit caprese

lil bit galette

:eyepop:

the dinner of the gods

whats for dessert

Scaly Haylie

FutonForensic posted:

SO

I know that dish from JoJo.

FutonForensic

Manifisto posted:

whats for dessert

when i stop being full for a week i'll tell you

Robot Made of Meat

FutonForensic posted:

SO

lil bit caprese

lil bit galette

Soooo tasty looking. I wish I could grow tomatoes, but apparently walnut trees kill everything good.

poverty goat

I managed to forget to fridge this dough twice for a total of like 9 hours of extra rising time at room temp but it turned out perfect as long as you don't look at the whole loaf

take the moon

by sebmojo
do you guise have any chef's knife recs? i dont need ancient forged Hattori Hanzo steel or anything. low to mid range (preferably low since i'm just starting out)?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Well, victorinox makes a lot of very reasonably priced hardware and that's what I use to have before I bought all my bougie knives.

victorinox 8 inch chef's knife

Serious eats recommends Mercer with the most affordable option being 15 bucks. I haven't actually used them but I'm pretty much an cultish acolyte at this point:

mercer knife

They also recommend this slightly pricier one:

nicer mercer knife

If you have no knives at all... I'd recommend one general purpose knife (a 8" chef's knife or santoku knife) like above, a paring knife, 3-4 inches, a fillet knife which is flexible and thin and like six inches, and a bread knife (long serrated blade, like this one but the brand is really irrelevant as they will all perform identically. And also a bench knife, get in the habit of using this at the cutting board to slide stuff into your prep bowls. I think that'd be a great start. Any other suggestions team?

poverty goat

I have expensive japanese knives and they mostly stay in the drawer as I do everything with a $20 chinese vegetable cleaver from amazon now & it has changed my prep game forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1sAKybSHs

note how he's using a knuckle out front to guide the blade, there's a LOT of blade to do that without getting your fingers close to the edge and gravity/inertia keep the blade moving straight down until it hits cutting board without trying to twist or buckle or requiring a lot of downforce. it's intimidating, but actually quite controllable, fast and safe with a little practice. also, it doubles as a bench scraper and it's far more likely to deter a burglar than a santoku

like the bread knife, this one doesn't care if it's $15 or $150, so get a cheap one

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 7, 2018

take the moon

by sebmojo
the tojiro one looks baller but id rather practice a kind i might b expected 2 use

ended up with the mercinary 8 inch, ty goonz

take the moon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 8, 2018

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

i take my cleaver to work and everyone else is afraid of it so they don't gently caress with it, which is great tbh

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 8, 2018