Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan sucks at horror. Their horror movies are laughable and lame

The american The Ring was way better than the japanese original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Morrigan was literally a selfish fantasy libertarian with no redeeming features. Now if you want a good character, take Shale or the dog.

The super interesting regular games chat thread with all the anime you can fit on your harddrive is thataway

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah, the "opaque system" guy who played a mage while maxing dexterity or something. Does your legal guardian know that you post here?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Twelve Batmans posted:

The best part of SH is that it only takes itself semi-seriously. The outtakes aren't some separate ending- they are in the credits. So you play this really super sad story that ends on a somber note with a bunch of people dying and then you get the see everyone being super goofy and out of character and it lifts your spirits a bit. Same with SH3 is the goofy character songs like Douglas smelling of fish.

Meanwhile all the American SH's try so hard to be gritty and dark and "atmospheric" and it comes off like the lamest poo poo. Westerners should leave Japanese horror the gently caress alone.

was Shattered Memories an American SH? that one felt the most like authentic bad dreams, to me

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

was Shattered Memories an American SH? that one felt the most like authentic bad dreams, to me

Yeah Shattered Memories was western but not American. Climax (who also did origins) is a British studio and their two products are probably the least lame non-Japanese entries in the franchise. At least with Origins it was a story other than "SOMEONE DIED AND YOU FORGOT HERE IS YOUR PATH TO REDEMPTION WRAPPED UP IN lovely HAM-HANDED STORY", which all it seems is all American studios can do since Silent Hill 2 is the only game that stuck with people here despite 1 and 3 clearly being way better and having a more interesting continuous plot while 2 was more of a gaiden. Hell even The Room is more interesting than 2.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Twelve Batmans posted:

since Silent Hill 2 is the only game that stuck with people here despite 1 and 3 clearly being way better and having a more interesting continuous plot while 2 was more of a gaiden. Hell even The Room is more interesting than 2.

:catstare:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, and I think it's a cute little story about the origin of genetic fantasy sounding name that rolls off the tongue.

What makes it worse than grandbell, magvel, ivalice or any of the other 5 billion made up names people have slapped on their fantasy world with little to no thought beyond "it sounds nice"?

I wasn’t saying you were wrong, I just think it’s kind of an interesting story. The developers of Monkey Island came up with Guybrush Threepwood in a similar fashion.

If the main planet for Anthem ends up being called Tas though, then we’ll know they’re getting lazy.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trust me I know it's an unpopular opinion. I just prefer an actual supernatural horror story with demons and rituals and a likable protagonist compared to some guy that got into a pillow fight with his dying wife's face and forgot about it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

frajaq posted:

why did people like Deus Ex again

the aiming in this game is atrocious

spend the skill points on guns if you want a standard shootmans you cheap gently caress

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

olives black posted:

spend the skill points on guns if you want a standard shootmans you cheap gently caress

Better idea: play something else.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

olives black posted:

I did, it still sucked

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

frajaq posted:

why did people like Deus Ex again

the aiming in this game is atrocious

This is what I'm talking about though, kids these days expect to jump into a new game and be good at it without even making an attempt to understand the game mechanics

This retard heard that Deus ex was a shooter and expected his CoD skills to carry him, and now he blames the game instead of himself

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

poverty goat posted:

This is what I'm talking about though, kids these days expect to jump into a new game and be good at it without even making an attempt to understand the game mechanics

This retard heard that Deus ex was a shooter and expected his CoD skills to carry him, and now he blames the game instead of himself

Deus Ex is a stealth game that pretends to have a combat option

"Oooh ahh look how many enemies I avoided by using the complex network of man-sized vent ducts aren't I clever this game has so many CHOICES and I chose a clever thing" motherfucker that is the game's critical path. It wants you in those vents. Those vents are where you go.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's an old-school rpg pretending to be a fps

You can't shoot poo poo because you are the sci-fi equivalent of a level 1 wizard wielding a claymore

E: also you can totally ignore the vents and frontal assault everything in Deus ex but this is harder and may not be ideal for people who are bad

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 19, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

poverty goat posted:

:allears:

Nah I decided to play this after enjoying Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided

I guess it was too much to expect UNATCO agent JC Denton to be able to shoot a basic pistol straight

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alpha Protocol is better than Pillars or Tyranny

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

frajaq posted:

:allears:

Nah I decided to play this after enjoying Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided

I guess it was too much to expect UNATCO agent JC Denton to be able to shoot a basic pistol straight

You can shoot a basic pistol straight right from the start if you spec into that skill though. It's only wildy inaccurate if you're untrained.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alpha Protocol is better than Pillars or Tyranny

That's like saying a solid log to the face is better than getting full-on hosed by rear end-batter.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shadow of the Colossus is extremely boring and not some contemporary piece of art.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Alpha protocol is an amazing cyoa hidden behind an awful action game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Alpha protocol is an amazing cyoa hidden behind an awful action game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poverty goat posted:

It's an old-school rpg pretending to be a fps

You can't shoot poo poo because you are the sci-fi equivalent of a level 1 wizard wielding a claymore

E: also you can totally ignore the vents and frontal assault everything in Deus ex but this is harder and may not be ideal for people who are bad

If you admit its pretending it's something it's not why are you blaming the guy that fell for that deceit. Deus ex has terrible gunplay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

octopath traveler is a pretty bland experience that has some good ideas but ultimately drops the ball by loving up the most crucial part of an rpg: the story

also people saying "their names spell out octopath! isn't that clever?" need to stop because it's not clever at all actually!!

I like that it doesn't have a big, epic story and instead is just eight stories about people doing (mostly) human-scale things, at least until the end and the obligatory True Final Boss stuff kicks in.

I wish that there was at least some incidental dialog from other party members during each character's story, though. It doesn't seem like it would've been all that impossible to just have your other party members occasionally chime in with a line, even just a little incidental line as you're walking around.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i bet yall ran around in deus ex not hitting anything and wondering why the crosshair kept changing size

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You cannot miss with melee weapons

or gep guns

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

jimmyjams posted:

i bet yall ran around in deus ex not hitting anything and wondering why the crosshair kept changing size

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nah, I actually tried nonlethal but couldn't figure out the stun sticks goofy rear end hitbox, so I'd just poke people from behind and then they'd get mad at me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Jim Barris posted:

You can shoot a basic pistol straight right from the start if you spec into that skill though. It's only wildy inaccurate if you're untrained.

The addition of an accuracy mechanic whose purpose is to make your projectiles not go where you point them is one of the worst developments in FPS evolution. It’s anti-gameplay. If you want me to have a random chance to hit my target, do not give me the illusion of direct control.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

TheScott2K posted:

Descent was better than Doom.
This is a different kind of game, but Duke Nukem 3D was better than Doom too. Actually all these pseudo 3D games offered pretty advanced gameplay, had nice graphics (as in, say, playable comic book) and tons of neat ideas. When I first saw gray-brown Doom I thought it looked horrible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, I actually tried nonlethal but couldn't figure out the stun sticks goofy rear end hitbox, so I'd just poke people from behind and then they'd get mad at me.

lol, there's nothing easier than knocking people out with cattle prods in deus ex

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

normal brain: deus ex is actually a stealth game, don't focus on gunplay

galaxy brain: actually skilling gunplay and just blowing everything up is awesome too

universe brain: literally skill nothing except jumping around and throwing boxes at people

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

This is a different kind of game, but Duke Nukem 3D was better than Doom too. Actually all these pseudo 3D games offered pretty advanced gameplay, had nice graphics (as in, say, playable comic book) and tons of neat ideas. When I first saw gray-brown Doom I thought it looked horrible.

You are comparing games that came out 4 years apart at the time games were going through the most rapid transformation in history, lol.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nothing funnier than the "tranquilizer" dart in this game makes enemies fly into panic

gently caress trying to go pacifist in this game, it's not like I get rewarded for it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

Nothing funnier than the "tranquilizer" dart in this game makes enemies fly into panic

gently caress trying to go pacifist in this game, it's not like I get rewarded for it

How dumb do you have to be not to understand how a tranq dart works.

Jesus loving Christ

Try stabbing yourself with a needle and see how calm it makes you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Deus Ex presented the idea of killing off most of the population as a dystopian nightmare, but observing people failing to grasp the basic concepts of that game makes forcible euthanasia seem both necessary and merciful.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I never played explain how darts work to me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You shoot a guy, he gets panicked for a second because somebody shot him with a dart, then he falls unconscious three seconds later as the tranquilizer becomes effective

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Deus Ex presented the idea of killing off most of the population as a dystopian nightmare, but observing people failing to grasp the basic concepts of that game makes forcible euthanasia seem both necessary and merciful.

The game never explains that in order for your stun prod backstab to instantly incapacitate the guy and not waste all its ammo you need to explicitly hit them in the upper back. Not the lower back, which is different for reasons, nor is the head your target like any other fps game. You can only surprise taze someone in their goddamn shoulders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

The game never explains that in order for your stun prod backstab to instantly incapacitate the guy and not waste all its ammo you need to explicitly hit them in the upper back. Not the lower back, which is different for reasons, nor is the head your target like any other fps game. You can only surprise taze someone in their goddamn shoulders.

lol, imagine learning something by trying it and by absorbing the experience, what a crock of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

lol, imagine learning something by trying it and by absorbing the experience, what a crock of poo poo

Did you miss the part where I did that and learned that the stun rod was a useless piece of junk. So yeah, telling the player to figure out opaque unmarked mechanics is a crock of poo poo. Theres a reason people stopped doing that garbage.