Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I tried turning Olberic into a dodge tank by pumping his evasion, but I was getting hit every single time by this magic attack an old lady casted at me, so maybe magic attacks can't miss?

Magic attacks can't miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Finished my second Chapter 2 in Primrose, pretty much steam rolled it since my party is currently:

Tressa Hunter: Class doesn't really matter, she's a BP/buff battery.

Cyrus Merchant: Has SP regen, half SP, pretty much busted at this point

Therion Cleric: Dagger makes him unlimited SP

4th slot is Story Character. Gonna be a long while until I actually decide on this.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Around what level do you need to be to start gathering subclasses? I'm running around with a group of four leveled in the teens, basically just limping my way through dangerous areas to fill out quick travel and steal everything of value.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Meldonox posted:

Around what level do you need to be to start gathering subclasses? I'm running around with a group of four leveled in the teens, basically just limping my way through dangerous areas to fill out quick travel and steal everything of value.

It's pretty feasible to grab them as soon as you have a character with Evasive Maneuvers (the first scholar passive skill). All of the regular job shrines are along the routes in the second "ring" of cities, one per region. With a combination of reduced encounter rate, saving at each save point along the way, attempting to escape fights, and reloading from the save points and the map-transition autosaves if you die, you could probably reach all of them with just Cyrus. The step counter for random battles resets any time you see a loading screen, and the minimum threshold for getting your first battle is a set amount of steps—it's not random.

The most frustrating to reach are the ones in the Frostlands and the Sunlands, which both require you to cross a fairly large open space at danger level 30+ with no save points on the way.

I would advise not abusing this system to get all the top-tier weapons from endgame dungeons at level 10, but the option is open to you...

Zoran fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 21, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Holy crap, I found the ultimate way to break the Warbringer fight. Already having seen someone mention using Tressa as a Runelord to transfer sidestep to the party I figured I'd exploit that. But while setting it up I thought, why don't I just have fun with this and put Eye For An Eye (Dancer counter skill) on everyone at the same. And if I'm going to go whole hog, I'll get my odd man out (Olberic) the Runelord elemental swap skill to see if that makes his runes hit harder. So I buff up for a turn with a boosted Sidestep on everyone, and then laid down a frost rune to hit her weakness.

Turns out, her attacks will trigger eye for an eye. And if you have a high elemental attack stat, you can hit 9999 (I didn't have the overpower ability on anyone) with the runelord magic hit even when not broken. So every time she attacked, I'd get a couple Eye for an Eye triggers doing max damage hits that slowly broker he shield down. It was just plain amazing. Afterwards I reloaded the save and loaded everyone up to maximize the return strike and side steps. It ate up a lot of BP producing items because I had to max boost a side step almost every turn and it got really hairy at the end, but I actually beat Warbringer without once breaking the shield just through basic attacks and eye for an eye strikes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zoran posted:

Magic attacks can't miss.

They can't crit either unless you use the Sorcerer Divine Skill on them, which is the trade-off for 100% accuracy.

Meldonox posted:

20s is a good point to start gathering the subjobs, though you can get by getting to places with a lower level if you use the Scholar ability to reduce random encounters and the Cleric Ability to make it easier to flee (maybe get the Hunter ability to facilitate Surprise Rounds more often since I've heard fleeing is 100% successful if you catch enemies by surprise).

Also got the Girls Only Party Chat: H'aanit likes men who are stronger than her. Ophilia likes men who are nice, but if forced to narrow it down, narrows it down to an unattainable Prince Charming type. Tressa likes men who doesn't try to refund things she sells to them (bless you Tressa) and Primrose when asked about her type tries to cut off conversation. I'm already pretty sure that her type is kind of a mix of what she sees as attractive qualities in Cyrus and Therion as the Party Chat featuring the three of them had her compare the two and mentioning that a mix between both might make for her ideal gentleman.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Thanks to the thread for mentioning grandport and the old lady in the guarded house. I managed to get my scrutinize off on the first go at 14% then cackled as I cleaned out the city of their belongings. This game rules.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Cyrus's story is so wild.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zoran posted:

Cyrus's story is so wild.

Cyrus's story is the best.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

Really, it's a brilliant idea that gained JP can be spent on any job. So as long as you only buy stuff that is useful it doesn't matter what job you have assigned in the moment.

Is what I'm constantly repeating to myself to convince myself to stop analyzing it.

Yeah, its honestly the best part of the battle system. In stuff like Final Fantasy tactics or bravely default, I always got wound up trying to grab good passive abilities, but that required putting characters in jobs they were horrid at for a long while. It was frustrating

Here, you can instantly bring a new job up to par, and cherry-pick the best active skills if you are only giving a character a job temporarily and have no interest in the passives.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Alfyn Chap3 wow that got dark. Alfyn is out here trying to be the bestest boy wth no judgement of people for theft and murder because hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do only to get completely owned for it. :(

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ok, yeah, the secret jobs are crazy. Sorcerer is amazing. I did 120k damage in one attack with just my sorcerer against one of the other secret job bosses. Burns through SP and BP like nothing else. But who cares when you have Alfyn.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just got all the base subclasses and am starting the chapter 2 stuff. What are some good ways to make money?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elderbean posted:

Just got all the base subclasses and am starting the chapter 2 stuff. What are some good ways to make money?

Tressa can pick up money all the time when you move screens and has an ability called Collect, which will steal cash from an enemy equal to double what it would otherwise drop.

You can also spec her as a Thief and get the Thief passive skill that doubles loot drops - which doubles Collect.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah so far there's three Thieving Tips and Tricks I've found which boost your steal rate, you have to either Investigate or Scrutinize the NPC.

Boulderfall - Female NCP who welcomes you into town

Noblecourt - East Noblecourt, all the way to the right, the man with the feathered hat standing beside a bench

Grandport - An old woman inside the first house you see that is guarded by an NPC, challenge and defeat the guard to get inside.

anyone find any more? e: also, I was very wrong about the Correct way to win Challenges. What you actually do is switch your class to Apothecary and poison the enemy since poison does % damage of max HP, so even if you're like level 15 you can do 1000 damage a turn with poison.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 22, 2018

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've seen mention of using dancer divine with cleric for party wide reflect stacks against sub job bosses but how do you deal with their anti-buff skill erasing that away and preventing buffs from being applied?

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2018

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Huh, I just had a weird thing -- I'm doing Alfyn's Chapter 3 in Saintsbridge, which is where Ophilia's Chapter 2 was too, which I'd already completed a while ago. I had Ophilia in my party, and I just switched Olberic in as well when I activated a party chat -- but it was Ophilia and Olberic's party chat from her Chapter 2, which I had already seen. Anyone else having that kind of thing happen?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Despite most of my party being in their 40s with gear from Grandport, the level 26 zone for H'aanit's Chapter 2 actually does some damage. I mean, I'm not in any real danger, just shocked that I'm getting hit for 400-600 per hit instead of 20 like the other chapter 2 areas.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kashuno posted:

Alfyn Chap3 wow that got dark. Alfyn is out here trying to be the bestest boy wth no judgement of people for theft and murder because hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do only to get completely owned for it. :(

I just did that a couple days ago and had an audible "oh poo poo" when Miguel stabbed the kid

Finished Alf and Olberic's stories today, Therion is next up and I can finally switch to a full "B-Team" :toot:

...after I go do some epilogue stuff for gear :getin:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hah! Found a fourth steal rate boost. It's in Wellspring, but getting to it is fuckin tricky. In the bottom-left is a guard standing by a door, if you talk to him he should mention a building where guards congregate. First you need to Scrutinize him, which will lower the level requirement for Challenging NPCs in town. If you don't do this step, you need to be level 40 before you can Challenge the NPC blocking the door.

In the top-right of the map will be the tavern; the house directly to the left is guarded by a really powerful guard, 9/10 stars difficulty. I'd recommend before doing this, go to Grandport, get the steal rate up from there, and clean the town out. Equip all the best armor you got and then switch your class to Apothecary. Challenge the guard and poison him nonstop, don't even bother attacking. Guard on turns where you have nothing else to do and heal if you lose more than 700 HP. Having like seven or eight mid-grapes will be good enough. After you win, inside the house are three merchants. Scrutinize the leftmost one in the green outfit for a steal rate boost, the other two have nothing.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Olberic Chapter 2 Alfyn is a great doctor

Finally finished up everyone's chapter 2. I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling kinda OP so hopefully the next chapters can knock me down a peg or two. Also I don't get the people complaining you have to grind at all because I'm leveling up all 8 people at once and I haven't had to grind once. You have so many ways to level up super fast (Bewildering Grace, Caits, just wandering into high level areas) that I don't see how you have to go out of your way for any significant amount of time to get levels.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just did Primrose's chapter 3 and her story is definitely anime. Unfortunately not my kind of anime though :( Something I noticed that I can't un-notice is that every NPC Primrose interacts with in her story talks about how pretty she is.

I did decide to do all the chapter 2's and 3's before any of the 4's, extremely overleveled Tressa be damned so now Therion and Olberic are next on my list.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've seen mention of using dancer divine with cleric for party wide reflect stacks against sub job bosses but how do you deal with their anti-buff skill erasing that away and preventing buffs from being applied?

Either I got lucky or chaining breaks fucks with their moveset choices because I managed to get both and not run into the anti-buff stuff.

And that makes every job unlocked! :toot:

Starseer looks super rad and like something just up Primrose's alley.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Whew, beat the Runelord boss after struggling with the others.

Think I'll do a couple Chapter 3's before I start tackling the rest.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Orlick gets all the best voice actor awards this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beat the archmagus :toot:

The dancer/cleric strategy is legit

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Has anyone actually got a second battle tested weapon to drop? The rate is incredibly low

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Beat the archmagus :toot:

The dancer/cleric strategy is legit
What is that strategy? I already beat it but I'm curious :v:

The boss I'm struggling with now despite nearing level 50 is the Starseer. Gave it a couple of attempts and got murdered, I feel like this one isn't as straightforward to counter as the rest (or maybe I'm missing something.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

What is that strategy? I already beat it but I'm curious :v:

The boss I'm struggling with now despite nearing level 50 is the Starseer. Gave it a couple of attempts and got murdered, I feel like this one isn't as straightforward to counter as the rest (or maybe I'm missing something.)

Talked about a page or so ago but you use the dancer's divine on the cleric and then use that to put the elemental reflect on the entire party (boosted so you get multiple stacks) and just reflect all his triple hit bullshit right back in his face for massive damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ok I just completed my main character's story and the montage in the credits of all your killing blows on story bosses for every chapter you've done is an incredible touch. Seeing how I killed H'aanit's intro boss with the golem summon that does 9999 damage again was hilarious.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
This last fight is loving insane god drat

Will get back to this in three hours if I actually pull through

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

acumen posted:

This last fight is loving insane god drat

Will get back to this in three hours if I actually pull through

I am here as well, it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a boss rush with no save points so if you die to the actual final boss you have to spend an hour getting back :negative:
Also regarding the final boss: the second party gets completely locked out of magic, so don't make it a party full of mages like me :suicide:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Where should I level up entering chapter 2? Everyone is a bit underleveled.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I did it. It's sorta dumb they lock all that post-game stuff behind some relatively obscure sidequests since there's a shitton of plot exposition and closure to pretty much all the story beats. If it weren't for the internet it'd be pretty easy to miss it all. It's also one intense fight:

(endgame fight spoilers below)

I even knew roughly what I was getting into from perusing that big doc with all the equipment locations and used a similar setup, although I wish I had an apothecary in the first fight. So my first team was magic oriented, second physical. The first fight is a real marathon (500k+ hp) and definitely the toughest in the game. Second still pretty tough but the main part only has a fraction of the first's hp. I basically just powered through with Winnehild's Battle Cry and didn't even break the main section by time I killed him.

Great finale to a great game. Was sick for the entirety of my vacation this week so this made that slightly less unfortunate.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Here is an elite / hilarious strategy I found.

Sorcerer Cyrus, anyone as a Runelord. Cyrus needs Surpassing Power and Second Serving. Stack as much Magic Attack as possible.

Transfer Rune to pass Cyrus a rune the boss is weak against.

Use Elemental Break.

Then just use the attack command and cackle maniacally as Cyrus deals 30k+ damage with the rune blast, twice if Second Serving goes off.

You may experience sadness against the few bosses that can strip your buffs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Doing H'aanit's Chapter 1 boss and Primrose proc'd a 100x JP... only for Cyrus to eat it on the penultimate turn. :negative:

3000 JP is rather nice, though.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

I like that guard dogs have background stories. :)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Stuck on a sidequest... anyone remember how to progress through Shadow over the Sands in Sundlands? I got the quest, found the soldier in the desert saying he wouldn't involve/tell anyone or whatever, then found the cave and the person talking to the snake. No actual fight happens when I confront him though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Stuck on a sidequest... anyone remember how to progress through Shadow over the Sands in Sundlands? I got the quest, found the soldier in the desert saying he wouldn't involve/tell anyone or whatever, then found the cave and the person talking to the snake. No actual fight happens when I confront him though.

Have you scrutinized/inquired the soldier as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speaking of dog stories, what does it mean when it says "Information Gleaned: A Hidden Item"?

Do you have to then still do something to get that item?