Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
please stop explaining to people that their desire to avoid spoilers is stupid and either respect or don't respect their desires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol shut up

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

*pushes up glasses* heres my peer reviewed study about how it's actually bad to be considerate to other people

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good job linking to the same study twice which also doesn't actually say what you think it says because you never actually read it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SonicRulez posted:

Raubahn deciding that the cackling villain needed to be cut in half is still one of my favorite MSQ beats in the game.

I like how Hancock makes a joke about Teledjii getting cut in half in Stormblood and then just laughs his rear end off about it afterwards.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 21, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Reiterpallasch posted:

please stop explaining to people that their desire to avoid spoilers is stupid and either respect or don't respect their desires

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Good job linking to the same study twice which also doesn't actually say what you think it says because you never actually read it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The only thing dumb is disregarding someone else's desire to be spoiled or not, regardless of whether the spoil ruins or enhances the story.

Which to be fair, OP just said it's dumb and posted the study. Not like they followed up with a ton of spoilers.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They're 2 different studies?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I know you guys said that crafting isn't really worth investing time into until you've maxed out a job. Does the materia harvesting fall in that same category? the MSQ just put it right in front of my, so I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be handicapping myself by ignoring it along with other crafting for the time being.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fake spoilers are best because anyone who reads them spends the whole story wondering if they're actually going to be real.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

I know you guys said that crafting isn't really worth investing time into until you've maxed out a job. Does the materia harvesting fall in that same category? the MSQ just put it right in front of my, so I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be handicapping myself by ignoring it along with other crafting for the time being.

Yeah, just ignore materia entirely until you're max level.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NeurosisHead posted:

Unless the Materia is V or VI literally don't even bother, all the others are vendor trash at this stage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:thunk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oh no blimp issue posted:

They're 2 different studies?

Did you actually look at what you posted?

Here, by the way, is an actual link to something and not a summary plus a request to pay $35 to read it: http://psy2.ucsd.edu/~nchristenfeld/Publications_files/Fluency%20of%20Spoilers.pdf

Among other things this didn't say "SPOILERS ARE GOOD" but their finding was that spoilers which increase the reader's understanding of a story can make them enjoy something more. It also was about literature and by the admission of the researchers could not be generalized to all media.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 21, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love those studies that tell a bunch of people how they really like a thing that they say they don't like.

brand engager posted:

*pushes up glasses* heres my peer reviewed study about how it's actually bad to be considerate to other people

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Did you actually look at what you posted?

Here, by the way, is an actual link to something and not a summary plus a request to pay $35 to read it: http://psy2.ucsd.edu/~nchristenfeld/Publications_files/Fluency%20of%20Spoilers.pdf

...it's two different papers in different journals from different years, just by the same set of authors. (Edit: they may both be describing the same set of experiments, don't care enough to look beyond the abstract.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 21, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

...it's two different papers in different journals from different years, just by the same set of authors. (Edit: they may both be describing the same set of experiments, don't care enough to look beyond the abstract.)

It is the exact same study, yes. It also doesn't say what it is claimed is being said.

Pretty obviously considering you didn't actually bother to actually read the thing you're arguing for.

"As with any study, we cannot be certain that these findings will generalize
across all subjects and materials. Our subjects were undergraduates enrolled at
UCSD, and while very few had formal literary training, they are generally bright
and successful students. We also did not investigate individual differences, such as
low need for cognition or high tolerance for amgibuity, that might predict liking
spoiled stories less. We also did not exhaust every genre, or test all stories within
the genres we selected. We selected the two genres (mysteries and ironic twist
stories) for which it seemed intuitively most important to conceal the ending, and
the genre (evocative literary stories) for which it seemed that knowing the ending
would be least telling. Readers may respond differently to spoilers in other genres,
or even to some stories within these genres"

It is an extremely limited study of a limited selection pool on a limited set of genres. That's it. It isn't a universal "ALL SPOILERS R GOOD" finding and it's really goddamn dumb that people like to trot it out without ever actually reading the paper and seeing what it said entirely because they want to be shitheads on the internet.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 21, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody cares dude

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

As with any study, we cannot be certain that these findings will generalize across all subjects and materials.

This is pretty much the reason why a post linking those same studies to say "spoilers are bullshit" is some gently caress you got mine attitude.

I've seen enough of the same thing that I'm more interested in the surprise of a spoilable event than in the road that leads towards something that's predictable. Even in the event that watching the movie being spoiled ahead of time would have somehow relieved some bizarre anxiety or released more dopamine or been easier on the mind to watch, having my mind blown the first time I watched the Fight Club was a much more memorable and interesting experience in the long run than all the times I watched anything having been spoiled ahead of time.

The studies mention enjoyment in linking things. I can relate to that, but I prefer generalizing it to having someone tell me if the story is bland and generic as hell or if there's something unexpected in it. Trying to figure out what that something is is fun in itself, and being spoiled ahead what that thing is kills it.

It's not hard to make a jump that a considerable amount of people who complain about spoilers prefer to go in entirely blind so they can experience the pure surprise of the event. There are very few things that surprise me and as I get older the stories get all samey and blander, the last thing I want is someone using a study that even says "by the way our study doesn't apply to everyone" as an excuse to spoil people out.

Not to mention, we would never have had this gem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415223&pagenumber=205&perpage=40#post405079957

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

jalapeno_dude posted:

(Edit: they may both be describing the same set of experiments, don't care enough to look beyond the abstract.)
lol

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
uh if you just mark spoilers all the time then Lowtax is gonna run out of spoiler tags

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
hey here's a spoiler stop digging

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Fracture

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vadoc posted:

Fracture

Bloodbath :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good stories tend to spoil themselves. That's what foreshadowing is.
Clever use of foreshadowing is great since it adds interesting depth to the story that everyone can enjoy for their own personal reasons.

Elentor posted:

I've seen enough of the same thing that I'm more interested in the surprise of a spoilable event than in the road that leads towards something that's predictable.

I come from the opposite end here: I'm more interested in seeing the building blocks/plot beats behind a story and how they lead up to a climactic event because I'm probably not going to be surprised by that event. Even then all of the energy and the rush from that surprise is going to be more of the 'aha so this is how the puzzle fits together' type rather than the 'wtf they seriously did that i did not see that coming' type.

Different strokes for different folks. I just wish the Spoiler Culture crowd would stop complaining about foreshadowing or trailer's showing intense scenes without context when they're doing what they're supposed to do: building anticipation and getting you to ask questions (and therefor getting you invested in the story.)

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Clever use of foreshadowing is great since it adds interesting depth to the story that everyone can enjoy for their own personal reasons.

Good foreshadowing can lead to several potential payoffs and it's more interesting when you don't know which it will be ahead of time. Carefully dropping clues and spreading exposition to guide your viewer from point zero to understanding the plot and character motivations, and letting them have an interesting journey along the way, is an art in and of itself. By starting from the rear end end and having all the answers you don't get to appreciate any of that.

Sure, the story can be improved in hindsight or on reread/rewatch, but that's a separate, more technical kind of enjoyment. I get it might be your priority, as long as you're considerate of others. :shrug:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's not even remotely the same thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poo poo, at the time I didn't even know FF14 was a thing. How far I've come.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cross-classable Flash!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Brainamp posted:

poo poo, at the time I didn't even know FF14 was a thing. How far I've come.

The fact that you went in without knowing about Aeris, and the fact that nobody spoiled it for you in the LP proper, is like a double unicorn.

A binicorn.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So I’m playing due to the free login campaign since stopping midway through Heavensward and Warrior feels kinda bad to play now to me with the new system.

What melee class has a smooth rotation I should try?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Xarbala posted:

The fact that you went in without knowing about Aeris, and the fact that nobody spoiled it for you in the LP proper, is like a double unicorn.

A binicorn.

just a bicorn

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OhFunny posted:

So I’m playing due to the free login campaign since stopping midway through Heavensward and Warrior feels kinda bad to play now to me with the new system.

Samurai.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

OhFunny posted:

Once you get the rhythm down Monk is smooth as butter. Samurai is a bit simpler though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OhFunny posted:

That's a symptom of a lot of jobs, unfortunately.

It would be fine if every job was left the same, and then had the next layer of mechanics added on top of it.

It would have been fine if they had all been streamlined from 1-70 as a single, coherent experience.

They did neither of these things, instead picking and choosing bits to rip out of each job, leaving some really huge gaps in places, and in other jobs, stretched what was left out to go from 1-60 to 1-70 instead.

RDM and SAM are, naturally, the best off, because they weren't subject to this modification and were built as level 70 jobs from day 1.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Guess I’ll give monk a whirl since I don’t have the Stormblood expansion to try samurai or red mage out.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 22, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I really wanted to enjoy Astrologian, but I'm loving terrible with it. My mind is just extremely bad at multitasking, and I can't deal with this card stuff on top of managing healing, much less attempting to DPS some on top of that.

I've been messing around with some different classes, and I actually find myself enjoying Red Mage the most. It hits a nice balance where it's both manageable and interesting, and I like the aesthetic.

I might still give tanking a shot at some point. How hard is tanking, generally speaking? Is the difficulty mostly related to positioning enemies or something? If I do it, I'll probably try Dark Knight.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It would be fine if every job was left the same, and then had the next layer of mechanics added on top of it.

This wouldn't have made a better experience, fyi. The reason all the jobs got simpler was so they could make fights more interesting.

You can have either complex classes or more complex fights. You can't have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Like you can argue whether they did a good job on it (it varies from class to class) but there's no way on earth adding another level of mechanical complexity would've worked for the majority of classes.