Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

I remember when the first one came out and people here were heralding it as greater than Star Wars

Predator is pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. Apparently the idea is that Predator society is divided on the purpose of the hunts - some, like the first two Predators, are in it purely for the challenge and thrill of the hunt. But there's another group of Predators that integrate the genes of their vanquished foes into their own, creating genetically engineered super-Predators with the strengths of all their defeated foes. The big bad Predator of this movie is apparently a human hybrid.

Uh, I watched much of the bonus material on the Predators dvd and my brother even gave me a Predators prequel comic that set up the merchs and whatnot, and I have no idea where all this is coming from. Is it all just going to be big exposition dumps in the new movie? Because, like, one of the strengths of the first two movies was that they didn't go into the finer details of Predator society.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes it’s expositions dumps. And why not. We’re, like 5 predator movies in. They’re not scary because they’re mysterious or anything. So why not know more.

Predator world when

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That twist makes Predators a lot less interesting.

What would a human hybrid even bring to the table

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would bring the Predator onto the table when it lays a smack down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

Uh, I watched much of the bonus material on the Predators dvd and my brother even gave me a Predators prequel comic that set up the merchs and whatnot, and I have no idea where all this is coming from. Is it all just going to be big exposition dumps in the new movie? Because, like, one of the strengths of the first two movies was that they didn't go into the finer details of Predator society.

It's from a deleted scene from Alien vs Predator where Sanaa Lathan's character has sex with the Predator.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's from a deleted scene from Alien vs Predator where Sanaa Lathan's character has sex with the Predator.

I can’t tell if your serious.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Yes it’s expositions dumps. And why not. We’re, like 5 predator movies in. They’re not scary because they’re mysterious or anything. So why not know more.

Predator world when

predators are not scary period, largely precisely because people feel the need to put in more background info the longer the franchise exists. They are about as scary as Iron Man by now. I'm really looking forward to watching Predators IX with my manual trying to keep track of which faction of Predators gave birth to which for which purpose (It'll be "To do hunting better" because that is what Predators do, stupid as it is).

And don't tell me Predator world wouldn't be a lot more awesome if you didn't know what the gently caress you'd be dropped into. The way things are going, you'll know the name of the planet, the name of the warring species and the name of specific weapons they'll use to poke each other. You will know every single boring detail. Why do you want to turn Predators into a Star Trek species?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I used to have poo poo loads of nightmares about The Predator. drat thing was chasing me and killing me all the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

predators are not scary period, largely precisely because people feel the need to put in more background info the longer the franchise exists. They are about as scary as Iron Man by now. I'm really looking forward to watching Predators IX with my manual trying to keep track of which faction of Predators gave birth to which for which purpose (It'll be "To do hunting better" because that is what Predators do, stupid as it is).

And don't tell me Predator world wouldn't be a lot more awesome if you didn't know what the gently caress you'd be dropped into. The way things are going, you'll know the name of the planet, the name of the warring species and the name of specific weapons they'll use to poke each other. You will know every single boring detail. Why do you want to turn Predators into a Star Trek species?

Yes I want to know more. No it doesn’t ruin the Predator for me. Yes I want a movie about a lone hero Predator as the main character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean I've never chased predator expanded universe material but for some reason I know their species is named the yatjua and they live in a desert planet and that's why they only hunt during heatwaves?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I miss being able to think about the first Predator movie and think that that dude was probably not actually representative of his species, he's just the alien equivalent of a rich white dude going to Africa to shoot animals with a .50 cal sniper rifle with telescopic sights from a helicopter and then come home with his trophies to brag about what an awesome hunter he was and how he was in mortal danger all the time from monsters so much smarter and deadlier than he was while everyone rolls their eyes.

But nope, the one Predator we saw was apparently stereotypical and accurately representative of the entire species and culture.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did you see Predator 2

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Heck I don't think I've even fully watched a predator movie but I did read that really good and gory Batman vs predator that had Alfred shoot the predator point blank with a musket

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CelticPredator posted:

Did you see Predator 2

Once, and yeah the rot set in early with this franchise.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

CelticPredator posted:

Did you see Predator 2

It shows how Predators really are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-M4htgqNak

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

Heck I don't think I've even fully watched a predator movie but I did read that really good and gory Batman vs predator that had Alfred shoot the predator point blank with a musket

Predator 2 fuckin' rules so check it out if you get a chance, it owns. Also due to timing of when Predator/AvP comics were being made I'd go so far as to say Predator 2 is also one of the best comic book movies ever, just based on how it's shot and how much you can tell the look of a lot of 90s extreme comics were inspired by it.

The idea of there being Predator "factions" or whatever, I mean that pops up in some of the movies too so it's not like some franchise ruining thing. Honestly it made some of the Predator comics more interesting where like, technically they are a society where the hunt is the most important thing ever, but they have a lot of rules about who you can hunt and where and when. They have a reverse of the Prime Directive in Star Trek where like there you're allowed to interact with/share technology with civilizations that have developed faster than light travel. With Predators they had a similar threshold involving space travel where after a civilization is at a certain point you're not allowed to hunt them. This is sort of the "dramatic conflict" between Predators in the AvP/etc. stuff where it's in the future around when Aliens happened instead of in the present day.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Keeping the in-no-way-problematic tradition of having the girls only fight the girls alive.

As opposed to men beating down women violently? Or can a woman only fight men and win in every scenario regardless of story? Or not having women fight at all? Women can only support in fights, but not engage?

What are we bitching about now? I got lost at the left turn when we were bitching about the DCU being dark and not fun like Marvel and now they went that direction and everyone bitches it sucks.

So it's a female Predator. Cool. Women can be Predator's too. It's progressive and should be groundbreaking/landmark cultural event in gender-sex relations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
maybe the girl and the girl predator could kiss

I'd like it if the ladypred fights/hunts totally different from the male ones. Sort of like in Half-Life, after you fight a bunch of marine grunts, you get those silent black ops ninja women ruining your day.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes. They can kiss. It can be a progressive forward thinking revolutionary plot point that passes the Bechtel test featuring lesbians done in a tasteful and respectable manner on inter-species relationships that has never been done before.

I do hope the Predator's have their own distinct personality and style. Predator in 1 had a big cat stalking vibe but the ones in AvP were all pro wrestling brawlers. Predators had a different style too hinted at in the AvP side scroller between Hunter and Warrior. So let's hope Shane Black and the actors give each their own personality.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yes I want to know more. No it doesn’t ruin the Predator for me. Yes I want a movie about a lone hero Predator as the main character.

What I really want is Predator Deliverance: A hunt on Earth that goes bad for the Predators, plus they have more body diversity than the previous films because there's a rail-thin lanky Ronny Cox Predator and a short and fat Ned Beatty Predator. Also, we get a glimpse of the Predator homeworld, and it's the Initech set from Office Space, complete with Lumbergh Predator, and all that macho alien tribal hunting gear is just overcompensation bought at the Yautja mall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I miss being able to think about the first Predator movie and think that that dude was probably not actually representative of his species, he's just the alien equivalent of a rich white dude going to Africa to shoot animals with a .50 cal sniper rifle with telescopic sights from a helicopter and then come home with his trophies to brag about what an awesome hunter he was and how he was in mortal danger all the time from monsters so much smarter and deadlier than he was while everyone rolls their eyes.

But nope, the one Predator we saw was apparently stereotypical and accurately representative of the entire species and culture.

I think it's fun to preserve some mystery. Even with the tribe at the end of Predator 2, you were still kinda left guessing what they were up to. Is their whole society really based on hunting? Like, is that it? Thankfully you never found out, except if you read those comics that established that yes, this is a society that maintained social rites from 30.000 BC for ??? reasons, but whatever bro, look at their sick laser disks.

The hunting thing is scary because it's relatable, blowing it up as as a thing a whole species does exclusively is really loving dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

That was AvP2: Requiem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda. I like that idea just wish the aliens put up more of a fight and the Predator didn’t have to die. They don’t always need to die!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Predator 1 and 2 are pretty fantastic. Although I don't know if I care for "race of hunters, hunter society, honor" and may have preferred something a bit different to their culture. A space faring yokel race might have been fun. Like, imagine a Texan Predator dressed in white or Hillbilly Predator coming down to Earth to hunt. Like, how about the tech they use is indicative of their wealth. Predator 1 and 2 was middle class but there's a gonked out super rich Predator in some kind of badass gold/white full plate armor with even more advanced weaponry.

"Predator? Nah, son, I'm a Stalker! I follow my prey, use my laser scope to tag them, then my personal Satellite rains down laser fire!"
*takes off cowboy hat he won from Wyatt Erp*

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've always imagined the Predator in Predator 2 being a the redneck type one all the pros just let tag along since he gets wrecked the entire time and the other ones just laugh at him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I've always imagined the Predator in Predator 2 being a the redneck type one all the pros just let tag along since he gets wrecked the entire time and the other ones just laugh at him.

Same, I liked the idea that there's a Predator civilization out there but we only ever happen to run into their big game hunters.

At the same time I can see how if they did that it begs the question there being good (i.e., can get along with and interact with humans) Predators and then it just makes them like another race in Mass Effect instead of this like rarely scene god of hunting sort of thing. But to that end even something like the subdued alien queen egg laying factory practice temple thing they have in AvP is too drat much.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why is Equalizer the first role Denzel signed up for a sequel for?

And drat there were a lot of old people of all skin colors seeing EQ2 on friday.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingslayer posted:

I don't remember what the source was (maybe the director or screenwriter) but I read once that the one in Predator 2 is meant to be a cocky young Predator trying to prove himself by hunting in a populated urban area because it's more dangerous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

And drat there were a lot of old people of all skin colors seeing EQ2 on friday.

drat, is it really the first? Must really like Antoine Fuqua I suppose, remember back when that Training Day's buzz was partly due to it being the first time he'd played a villain.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Grendels Dad posted:

I think it's fun to preserve some mystery. Even with the tribe at the end of Predator 2, you were still kinda left guessing what they were up to. Is their whole society really based on hunting? Like, is that it? Thankfully you never found out, except if you read those comics that established that yes, this is a society that maintained social rites from 30.000 BC for ??? reasons, but whatever bro, look at their sick laser disks.

The hunting thing is scary because it's relatable, blowing it up as as a thing a whole species does exclusively is really loving dumb.

In the AvP novels from back in the 90s the whole reason they have hunts was to keep the males occupied while the females ran society. Its was literal something to keep the frat boys of Predator society something to do and off planet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BexGu posted:

In the AvP novels from back in the 90s the whole reason they have hunts was to keep the males occupied while the females ran society. Its was literal something to keep the frat boys of Predator society something to do and off planet.

The women kicking the men off the planet to actually get poo poo done while they're off wagging their dicks at aliens is pretty great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

got any sevens posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

drat, is it really the first? Must really like Antoine Fuqua I suppose, remember back when that Training Day's buzz was partly due to it being the first time he'd played a villain.

There was an article making this same observation a few days ago and according to it he makes it a point to not do sequels but he thought the story/etc. in this one made it worth it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know he made a point of not doing sequels, but I think the two Denzel movies I'm most surprised never got one are Devil With a Blue Dress and The Bone Collector, because there were lots of other Easy Rawlins and Lincoln Rhyme novels still to adapt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I keep swearing that someone is gonna announce an Amazon Studios Easy Rawlins series or something.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Don't know why the press would want the genes of species they'd defeated. The ones that actually beat one of them, there's the juice you want.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gnome de plume posted:

Don't know why the press would want the genes of species they'd defeated. The ones that actually beat one of them, there's the juice you want.

Humans do beat the Predators on the reg, though, albeit invariably after a huge body count first. The novels or comics, I forget which, made a big deal about how the Predators consider humans exceptionally challenging prey not because we're strong or tough, but because we're smart, and even when vastly technologically outmatched will put up a drat good fight.

Then again, there was that AvP RTS game where you see what happens when the Predators decide to stop loving around and deploy their legit military. IIRC they were the late bloomer faction, once they could bring their serious military hardware into battle the Aliens and humans were boned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

Humans do beat the Predators on the reg, though, albeit invariably after a huge body count first. The novels or comics, I forget which, made a big deal about how the Predators consider humans exceptionally challenging prey not because we're strong or tough, but because we're smart, and even when vastly technologically outmatched will put up a drat good fight.

Then again, there was that AvP RTS game where you see what happens when the Predators decide to stop loving around and deploy their legit military. IIRC they were the late bloomer faction, once they could bring their serious military hardware into battle the Aliens and humans were boned.

Why was that game console only? Talk about bad decisions

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

I eat their hearts to gain their strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't remember what the source was (maybe the director or screenwriter) but I read once that the one in Predator 2 is meant to be a cocky young Predator trying to prove himself by hunting in a populated urban area because it's more dangerous.

First movie was a great white hunter getting beaten by the alpha of a wolf pack, second movie was a well-armed kid on a turkey shoot who picks a fight with a bear and loses. Even has some clearly bemused/irritated staff Predators in the spaceship who begrudgingly hand the human a trophy for managing to beat a Predator at their own game.

I do like the little details like how they prefer the heat, simply because it's more comfortable for them, and how arbitrary their rules are. (and one gets the impression they're mostly following them out of obligation) It's basically reversing the lens on how human hunters look from the POV of an animal.

And the supplementary stuff is... mixed on the Predators, with some versions being their tech is stolen from other races, but I prefer the version that we see Predators with their equivalent of hunting gear, not military. (albiet a fair bit of it is pretty tacticlol)