Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Icarus' interactions with the player are all great.

[quote]Observe your motivations for breaking the arbitrary laws of the current government. Do not miss your chance to become one of us.[./quote]

After breaking into a room in the Paris hostel he commends you for doing it, says you'd be good at being a Majestic member.

DX does AI personalities very well, I think. Daedalus, Icarus, Helios, and Morpheus all have interesting and distinct attitudes, but all have that detached robotic personality done perfectly. And they're willing to talk philosophy with you! Most game AIs are relatively uninteresting things, but I really love DX's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm sure I'm not the only one who played DX1, got to Hong Kong, found the Dragon Tooth Sword and went from an agent who can't shoot straight to death incarnate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Palladium posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who played DX1, got to Hong Kong, found the Dragon Tooth Sword and went from an agent who can't shoot straight to death incarnate.

Have you heard the gospel of the one true savior, a 10mm pistol with a laser sight on it?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you heard the gospel of the one true savior, a 10mm pistol with a laser sight on it?

Do not heed the lies of this false prophet. Prod with the prod and gep with the GEP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Do not heed the lies of this false prophet. Prod with the prod and gep with the GEP.

Though the GEP is, was, and forever will be the most silent takedown, it can’t headshot all day everyday like the 10mm.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Palladium posted:

GMDX made the odd choice of having you shoot pretty straight, but nerfing the hell out of the sword.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

GMDX made the odd choice of having you shoot pretty straight, but nerfing the hell out of the sword.

Is that the one where they split its damage into five separate hits so you couldn’t bash doors with it anymore?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Is that the one where they split its damage into five separate hits so you couldn’t bash doors with it anymore?

Isn't that just Shifter?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Though the GEP is, was, and forever will be the most silent takedown, it can’t headshot all day everyday like the 10mm.

It's pretty funny how comically overpowered they made the 10mm in HR, probably as a tribute, except that in the original the 10mm was never that good. Who are the people it's really good for killing? Oh, right, the good guys that you join later on. Who are the people it's really bad at killing? The actual antagonists of the game.

e:

jojoinnit posted:

Isn't that just Shifter?

Yeah, I don't think that's GMDX. In GMDX you can bash things really well if you have the strength aug and points in melee. Theoretically, you should be able to bash the electronic boxes you use multitools on too -- they have a listed strength of 80 -- but in reality they're invincible, which felt like a huge ripoff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It's pretty funny how comically overpowered they made the 10mm in HR, probably as a tribute, except that in the original the 10mm was never that good. Who are the people it's really good for killing? Oh, right, the good guys that you join later on. Who are the people it's really bad at killing? The actual antagonists of the game

If you mod it pretty heavily the only thing it really struggles with are the power armored MJ12 dudes. It’s great against MiBs and MJ12 troopers, especially with a master pistol skill and damage mods.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

If you mod it pretty heavily the only thing it really struggles with are the power armored MJ12 dudes. It’s great against MiBs and MJ12 troopers, especially with a master pistol skill and damage mods.

Well, OK, I guess. But this is a game where you can fire from the hip with a sniper rifle. And you have spent your precious skill points on mastery of pistols at the cost of all the actual good skills. A newb's mistake. Save every damned point until you can advance no farther on a given path, so you can explore every nook and cranny of the levels. Combat skills are for suckers until mid-game at least.

This is my objectively correct opinion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Well, OK, I guess. But this is a game where you can fire from the hip with a sniper rifle. And you have spent your precious skill points on mastery of pistols at the cost of all the actual good skills. A newb's mistake. Save every damned point until you can advance no farther on a given path, so you can explore every nook and cranny of the levels. Combat skills are for suckers until mid-game at least.

At least It doesn’t involve spending points on swimming, the objectively worst skill.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Your "objectively correct" opinion suggest spending points on swimming.

Meanwhile, pistol skills also make you better with the crossbow for non-lethal takedowns.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

swimming is nice, i get at least trained every playthrough

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress you guys your talk of skill builds has made me start another playthrough

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I don't think I've ever not just taken pistols, electronics and lockpicking to at least advanced on every playthrough. It's a compulsion.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

Your "objectively correct" opinion suggest spending points on swimming.

Meanwhile, pistol skills also make you better with the crossbow for non-lethal takedowns.

You're a coward for not facing a man by the butt before you take him down.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Basic Chunnel posted:

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Except, you know, when you tranq a dude and then he runs around panicking, hits the alarm, and brings the whole level to you. Then it's not the most silent.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
They call me the gas man because all I use are gas grenades and pepper spray, and a cloud of poison follows me everywhere I go. Nobody minds the klaxons when the gas man comes around, and it doesn't matter if you're good or bad when the gas gets you. I stack the unconscious bodies like cordwood, and sometimes I gas them again for good measure. You can't find your unconscious friend when he's sleeping at the bottom of a river after the gas man got him.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 22, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

aniviron posted:

Except, you know, when you tranq a dude and then he runs around panicking, hits the alarm, and brings the whole level to you. Then it's not the most silent.

Stick with the prod

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They call me the gas man because all I use are gas grenades and pepper spray, and a cloud of poison follows me everywhere I go. Nobody minds the klaxons when the gas man comes around, and it doesn't matter if you're good or bad when the gas gets you. I stack the unconscious bodies like cordwood, and sometimes I gas them again for good measure. You can't find your unconscious friend when he's sleeping at the bottom of a river after the gas man got him.

I see I’m back in Mattoon

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

I see I’m back in Mattoon

Those stories scared the hell out of me as a kid. Maybe that's why I developed such a fixation with gas and pepper spray when I grew older. It didn't start right away, though--it wasn't until I maced the surly child outside Battery Park and heard that strange yeowl he made, that I truly found my calling. I used to wait until he got snarky at me for not giving him candy; now I just gas/mace him preemptively.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 22, 2018

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
You could always just stick to the flamethrower. It's the most silent takedown after the GEP gun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bought Deus Ex on Steam ages ago and finally installed it today. The mouse moves reeeeally fast. Too fast. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no effect.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Whenever I play DX-like games I'm obsessed about how to get through the whole game while spending the least possible resources.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Its been a while But Im pretty sure you have the MIB and power armor commandos health upside down- commandoes die way faster than MIB/WiBs do. 9/10 times a back of the neck 10mm will drop a power armor commando vs something akin to 4/10 for MiB

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Prav posted:

swimming is nice, i get at least trained every playthrough

Yeah, it's so cheap, you might as well put some points into it to make the water sections less tedious.

The real trap-skill is Medicine. Medkits are common as dirt, and you can get the regenerating health Aug very early on.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Both Swimming and Medicine are worth getting up to Trained. Swimming is hella cheap, and medkits healing 60 points instead of 30 is a major improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, it's so cheap, you might as well put some points into it to make the water sections less tedious.

The real trap-skill is Medicine. Medkits are common as dirt, and you can get the regenerating health Aug very early on.

Maxed regen is amazing. I remember the first time I got it up to max and just facetanked my way through a giant firefight.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Xander77 posted:

Both Swimming and Medicine are worth getting up to Trained. Swimming is hella cheap, and medkits healing 60 points instead of 30 is a major improvement.

Why use an eminently available medkit when you can spend 10 minutes backtracking to the one medical robot on the map, or conveniently healing your health 1 hit point at a time from faucets? - My now thankfully changed videogame logic

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why use an eminently available medkit when you can spend 10 minutes backtracking to the one medical robot on the map, or conveniently healing your health 1 hit point at a time from faucets? - My now thankfully changed videogame logic

All I need is a sink, water fountain and a soda machine and I'm my own hospital :colbert:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Bought Deus Ex on Steam ages ago and finally installed it today. The mouse moves reeeeally fast. Too fast. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no effect.
Maybe your framerate? A lot of old games get weird when the framerate is too high (ones with FR-tethered physics are most fun)

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

aniviron posted:

DX does AI personalities very well, I think. Daedalus, Icarus, Helios, and Morpheus all have interesting and distinct attitudes, but all have that detached robotic personality done perfectly. And they're willing to talk philosophy with you! Most game AIs are relatively uninteresting things, but I really love DX's.

DX deserves all the praise for how ahead of its time the storytelling was. What other game of that day can you imagine dropping a casual reference to the Unabomber using his real name and simply expecting the player to pick up on it?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

aniviron posted:

I love the series, but I will never understand what they were thinking when they made a supposedly silent tranq crossbow that causes enemies to run around in circles screaming blue murder for 15 seconds before finally dozing off.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I love the series, but I will never understand what they were thinking when they made a supposedly silent tranq crossbow that causes enemies to run around in circles screaming blue murder for 15 seconds before finally dozing off.

something along the lines of "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo, we had to completely tear down our entire design framework and rebuild from alpha in order to ship in about 9 months so Ion Storm can go broke somewhat slower than it invariably will, i sure hope the MGS sequel coming out in six months doesn't do tranq weapons so much better than us to a frankly contemptuous degree that the world forgets how insanely jank our placeholder asset is"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Karpaw posted:

DX deserves all the praise for how ahead of its time the storytelling was. What other game of that day can you imagine dropping a casual reference to the Unabomber using his real name and simply expecting the player to pick up on it?

What was this reference?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd love a game that incorporated a reality-based unconsciousness mechanism.

You can use a dart gun, I guess, but it's probabilistic: maybe it'll make them go to sleep, maybe it'll make them effectively drunk while you knock them out. Maybe it'll kill them via sedative overdose. Not reliable for pacifist playthroughs.

As far as choking/punching them out, they're gonna wake up in one minute like in real life, so you have to use precious moments of stealthy action to tie them up and gag them somewhere.

Outside of Invisible Inc., what games do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I'd love a game that incorporated a reality-based unconsciousness mechanism.

You can use a dart gun, I guess, but it's probabilistic: maybe it'll make them go to sleep, maybe it'll make them effectively drunk while you knock them out. Maybe it'll kill them via sedative overdose. Not reliable for pacifist playthroughs.

As far as choking/punching them out, they're gonna wake up in one minute like in real life, so you have to use precious moments of stealthy action to tie them up and gag them somewhere.

Outside of Invisible Inc., what games do this?

Add in “maybe they’re on bath salts and just won’t go down” and you’ve got my vote.

Like, the tranq darts are annoying as far as the gameplay goes but it’s more realistic than they usually are. Even if you’re dosing someone through an IV it takes a bit for them to go down.