Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don’t play with investment bank. It keeps the game from going into deflationary spirals but the problem hen becomes that of pacing and wrestling with this other mechanic that doesn’t add much else. Extra 15 does matter for 5P since the extra 3 containers might mean the diff between the game ending one or two cycles earlier. Individual bagging was because of the paint used. If you didn’t have any of your 15 clumped together, count yourself lucky.

Jordan7hm posted:

Winsome Games is everything bad about the hobby in one neat little package. It's like the other side of the CMON coin.
What? I don’t like the zeal of rules cover ups and the yahoo cult but what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Winsome Games is everything bad about the hobby in one neat little package. It's like the other side of the CMON coin.

Please elaborate I like drama

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

the 18xx and winsome games I believe?

1 ask this thread/discord

that's it :v:

I do generally try to play the game before buying though and that's the number one reason why I don't really do Kickstarter.

I can't think of an 18xx that doesn't have a rulebook available aside from the 1825 series that Tresham assembles in his kitchen.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bodanarko posted:

Tangentially related to this video topic, what steps/process does everyone use when scoping out and determining whether or not to buy a game?

Mine is something like this:

Learn of the game
Read recent threads and text reviews on BGG
Look through/ask in this thread for opinions
Watch rahdo's runthrough if he has one
Watch any other YT reviews if i can tolerate them
play it locally if possible (rare)
Buy/Not buy it

I usually start by running it through bgg geekbuddy analyze and then read some critical takes on the game. Over the years I have added various people who have thoughtful takes on games. They are often people who have different tastes than me but are still able to sufficiently explain why they did or did not like something. Or sometimes they are just funny like the frequent clearclaw ownage of some fun-haver game.

Then I will ask people I play with if they already own it or have played it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

smdh if clearclaw isn't on your geekbuddies list.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I can't think of an 18xx that doesn't have a rulebook available aside from the 1825 series that Tresham assembles in his kitchen.

When Mayfair games shut down, they took down their website that was hosting rules for their 18xx games. Some of them have been tricky to find again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Orvin posted:

When Mayfair games shut down

I'm curious who will be handling their games at Gencon now. They always had a huge booth with a ton of games available including some hard to find stuff. Hopefully Asmodee pawns off their stuff somewhere.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Orvin posted:

When Mayfair games shut down, they took down their website that was hosting rules for their 18xx games. Some of them have been tricky to find again.

I had no idea.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah it's very annoying. A few kind fans digitize theirs but it's not perfect.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

OmegaGoo posted:

2) Should I bother with the Investment Bank? I know it's there to alleviate the Death SpiralTM of the original version, but I figure if you point that out while teaching, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I absolutely loved the time I played the original version.

Sometimes you tell a player not to spend all their cash on upgrades early and not to take out loans until near the end, but they still end up with two loans in the middle of the game.

OmegaGoo posted:

3) I got the 15 extra containers. Is the shorter game significantly different in any way other than "shorter"?

No. Some people think that a warehouse heavy strategy doesn't work in a shorter game, but I'm not good enough to know for myself.

OmegaGoo posted:

4) Why are all of the containers individually bagged?!

Because the paint can't take the heat. The 15 extra containers are not individually bagged, and so have paint chipping. But the individually bagged containers do not have paint chipping

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cenotaph posted:

smdh if clearclaw isn't on your geekbuddies list.

Clearclaw, Shampoo4you, Cole Wehrle, rarevos, and SWxNW are top tier geek buddies Rarevos is interesting since he doesn’t rate games but he writes paragraphs of reviews. You are forced to read them, line by line, to see if he likes something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just played a solo learning game of Low Lands, I feel like I have a bead on the game and its iconography, but I can't figure out what the big "+2 Laborer" tokens are for. As far as I could tell there was no way to gain additional laborers beyond your starting two, let alone +2 more.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Just played a solo learning game of Low Lands, I feel like I have a bead on the game and its iconography, but I can't figure out what the big "+2 Laborer" tokens are for. As far as I could tell there was no way to gain additional laborers beyond your starting two, let alone +2 more.

Those are +2 Farmer tokens, and are weirdly only referenced in the appendix. You can get one as one of the dyke progress token rewards, and can discard the +2 farmer token to increase the value of one action by two for that action (i.e. for only one farmer placement, it does not persist).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh ok cool, thank you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Been working on a dedicated gaming table this weekend and it’s turned out pretty great for what was just scrap wood and dirty cheap materials. Measures 62x34 inches. Might put a neoprene mat in but it’s pretty nice as is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I have the opportunity to get Gloom of Killforth from the developers' latest Kickstarter and have seen very mixed opinions from people online. Anyone have it that can share their impressions?

Also your table looks nice and I'm jealous.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Save me, thread. A bunch of people showed up to a game night and people don't wanna split into smaller groups so they're trying to play some knock-off version of CAH for parents

And I'm not a parent

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skypie posted:

Save me, thread. A bunch of people showed up to a game night and people don't wanna split into smaller groups so they're trying to play some knock-off version of CAH for parents

And I'm not a parent

Get mega civilization so next time you can play with up to 18 people. If it’s more than 18, then you’re SOL.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Get mega civilization so next time you can play with up to 18 people. If it’s more than 18, then you’re SOL.

It's about 10 people I think. I just don't really like CAH or its knockoffs and there's one dude who takes it super personally if his answer doesn't get picked

Like last time CAH got pulled out was a year ago probably and he wanted to make a "vote of no confidence" rule if the judge didn't pick the "right" answer.

(I've been pushing for less fuckin people anyway because it takes FOREVER to get anything done when there's 10 people and they all have toddlers to watch at the same time)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camel Up plus Super Cup is 10 players. So are all the One Night games and Dead Last.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Off the top of my head A Fake Artist Goes to New York would be an easy safe game for ten people

Very chill

I would probably second Camel Up as well

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Baller Ina posted:

Off the top of my head A Fake Artist Goes to New York would be an easy safe game for ten people

Very chill

I would probably second Camel Up as well

The other non-parent wanted to play Fake Artist Goes to New York but got voted down by the kid-havers

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When you sire a fleshling you are legally not allowed to have fun until they're old enough to keep to themselves for a few hours without sticking metal in the socket. At this point you can now introduce them to board games and shape them into properly functioning adults.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How young is too young to teach a child Roads and Boats? Or Keyflower? Or Edo?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Had an evening playing spirit island, and it's really cemented itself as an all time favorite, is so so good! I've only played as three of the 'simple' 4 spirits, with only the beginner rules, and after 6 or 7 games I still feel like I have a lot to learn, but, in the fun "there are so many strategies I want to try out" way, and not the daunting way. I think my 'oh my God this game is amazing' moment was when it clicked that Vital strength of the earth's passive combines so well with Dahan. It's a unique and powerful strategy that calls for a different play style, that's also super thematic, and it feels almost emergent. I kind of can't wait to play the other spirits, except, I CAN, because these ones are just so good and deep that I wanna play them some more first. And this is all just at the absolute base difficulty! So good.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Ticket to Ride New York is going over well in my household, mostly 2p. Is there a TTR that's a little less vicious without being as long as the original?

I suspect the answer is "play Concordia" or whatever but the dead-simple rules are why it found a foothold.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JohnnySavs posted:

Ticket to Ride New York is going over well in my household, mostly 2p. Is there a TTR that's a little less vicious without being as long as the original?

I suspect the answer is "play Concordia" or whatever but the dead-simple rules are why it found a foothold.

String Railway is quick and simple, but a bit fiddly and not exactly TTR. TTR Team Asia is a team game so I guess it's half as vicious?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ticket To Ride Switzerland is a smaller board, it's meant for 2-3 players, uses less trains per player and has some interesting variations on base mechanics like being able to connect to countries (and have routes that require going from one country to another) and connecting a city to ANY country, for more points the further away the country is.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

al-azad posted:

When you sire a fleshling you are legally not allowed to have fun until they're old enough to keep to themselves for a few hours without sticking metal in the socket. At this point you can now introduce them to board games and shape them into properly functioning adults.

My kid is 10-months old and I've told myself I will probably not play boardgames for another four years. I can't imagine bringing him to a meetup and thinking it would be fun for anyone involved.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

al-azad posted:

We just take our fleshling with us and put her to sleep in a spare room. I guess that'll get trickier as she gets older, but small kids seem pretty compatible with board gaming.

Screw those people that don't ever want to split the group and force everyone to only ever play party games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I got the investment rules. Container really needs repeated play with four or five, not something I can expect to happen currently.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

Been working on a dedicated gaming table this weekend and it’s turned out pretty great for what was just scrap wood and dirty cheap materials. Measures 62x34 inches. Might put a neoprene mat in but it’s pretty nice as is.

How do you like Neuland? Are you using the first edition rules? I've heard they're better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kerro posted:

We just take our fleshling with us and put her to sleep in a spare room. I guess that'll get trickier as she gets older, but small kids seem pretty compatible with board gaming.

Screw those people that don't ever want to split the group and force everyone to only ever play party games.

We had a lady whose foster child would sit quietly on the couch and watch Spongebob. I can only hope for a kid as well behaved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My experience (daughter is now 2) is that gaming with a partner is still pretty easy to organise as long as the game can fit in between her bedtime and ours. But games with more people involve either going to meetups alone or having people over people who don't have kids.

She's really enjoying her train set at the moment so I'm trying to work out how to introduce shares into the mix.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

T-Bone posted:

How do you like Neuland? Are you using the first edition rules? I've heard they're better.

Yup using first edition. It’s a brilliant logistics game that deserves far more attention. I can’t think of more modern games that have replaced or done similar things really.

TTR:NY is also getting a lot of play with us. It’s exacty what I want from a TTR experience: fast, simple, and straight to the cuttthroat decisions.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup using first edition. It’s a brilliant logistics game that deserves far more attention. I can’t think of more modern games that have replaced or done similar things really.

Yeah I've got the Z-Man edition sitting around somewhere. I was thinking about selling it, but it's completely playable with first edition rules I guess?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Lorini posted:

I got the investment rules. Container really needs repeated play with four or five, not something I can expect to happen currently.

Cool. I think it's mostly a complex rules patch for something that actually does a good job of simulating an actual capitalist enterprise, so I probably won't be using them.

I hope people like it enough that I can get a bunch of plays out of my copy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just played memory with my nephew and realized what a semi-genius catch up mechanic it has. Because he won even though I was leading most of the game and wasn't letting him win.

I would have never thought about that concept before I got into games.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Buck Wildman posted:

I have the opportunity to get Gloom of Killforth from the developers' latest Kickstarter and have seen very mixed opinions from people online. Anyone have it that can share their impressions?

I'm also curious about this; Gloom of Kilforth came up in my search for a lighter adventure game for solo play. It's advertised as being playable in about an hour, which is something I value highly. It seems pricey for what comes in the box, though maybe I'm just too used to heavy discounts on retail releases.

Runebound was another game that crossed my mind, but once I saw it has roll to move I immediately dismissed it from further consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is anyone still playing Imperial Assault?

There's a new campaign coming for the app on August 8th.