Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let's also not forget what happened in Detroit just one year earlier.

Anyone who thinks things are somehow worse today than they were in the '60s has zero sense of history or perspective.

If you use the same paradigms sure. Someone pointed out earlier that the intensity isnt bad but the gulf and cognitive dissonace is. There was also the draft and a war going on that the public wanted to end.

The fact that we have evidence of a lot of stuff and havent gone out and caused massive nationwide outroar is the reason I asked. People always mention watergate and Nixon and his scandals and Trump. So Im trying to gain a broader perspective that encompasses the entire situation instead of taking that out of context. People have been protesting and violence has happened in small scales.

Its the "everything is fine" mentality that people adopt that boggles my mind. That dont get involved. People got involved during that time and it made a difference. I wonder if that makes it worse. The quiet compatability we seem to be applying. "Doesnt affect us until it burns down the house" type of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I can only imagine the longer this goes without redress the bigger the unrest will be when it finally does happen. Pent up powderkeg or whatever the analogy is.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The "Slow Burn" podcast about Watergate made an interesting point about how long it went on and an interesting thing there was that it also seemed like for most of the investigation it would make news now and then but a majority of the nation just did not care about it and people in the party / Nixon supporters were still gung ho for him even as some of the early solid evidence came out stating "even if he was guilty we've got a real man in the office" etc kind of poo poo.

It was hilariously similar.

Basically though they stressed that until the last 6 months before the impeachment proceedings most people thought it was just an annoyance in the news / shrieking of liberals.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Boomer so spot on analysis

I don't remember the fall of the Berlin wall so I have very little reference to anything

Like when I tried telling my kids that this wasn't normal but then I remembered how we haven't heard a single thing about africanized killer bees since 9/11 happened on TV news

Gary Condit was happier about 9/11 then Bin Laden

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'd argue the political divide is much larger now than it was in 1968, the difference being the left wing isn't nearly as radicalized as it was in 1968. For example, the 1968 DNC convention turned Chicago into an almost literal warzone, with different left-wing factions going after each other. I remember watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, and being taken aback how police, on camera, where cracking skulls open left and right and just viciously attacking the protesters.Keep in mind, most of these protesters were white. Afterwords several polls came out, and the documentary showed that the majority of Americas, across both party lines, overwhelmingly supported the police.

Nixon was right in that there was a silent majority, it's how he ended up winning election twice. Hell he even got away with the Saturday Night Massacre and it was only after the taps were released that he was finally destroyed, and that was only because republicans in the senate finally turned on him. I somehow doubt that, given the current cult of personality that Trump as built, that republicans would ever turn on him in today's environment.

So while thing's are not as crazy as they were in 1968, the divide is definitely there. People just are not taking to the streets en-mass because A) we are not being drafted to die in a war by the 10s of thousands and B) the economy is doing really well. If (when) the Republicans steal the 2018 elections, fire Mueller, and then steal the 2020 election using the electoral college (Trump loses by 4-5million votes again but the EC gives him his 2nd term) you will probably start to see some violence. Especially if (when) the economy craters from a combination of corruption/terrible tax cuts/tariffs or Trump pulls a W and decides its time to initiate war with Iran, OR he begins to do something truly crazy like invalidate US citizenship for certain people and attempting to deport them.. At that point, I fully expect to see Weather Underground 2.0 and other groups pop up.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
100% the only thing keeping everything quiet in the streets is lack of a elevated war and a good economy.

If the housing market craps out again or Trump sends Marines into Iran, shits gonna explode.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm really counting on a housing market crash in the next two quarters.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Speaking of cartoons I was gonna say a few pages back that when my (now ex) girlfriend and her daughter lived with me Fairly Oddparents was pretty tolerable/watchable.

Welp

https://twitter.com/kianworld/status/1020482169985171456

(Bruce Hartman created Fairly Oddparents)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Speaking of cartoons I was gonna say a few pages back that when my (now ex) girlfriend and her daughter lived with me Fairly Oddparents was pretty tolerable/watchable.

Welp

:extremely Mr Crocker voice: Social Justice Warriors!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

God dammit I liked that show too

Its done like, what. 11 seasons now

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
In this year’s season of “people who shouldn’t be parents”

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/preventing-tragedy-tips-to-protect-yourself-against-ever-leaving-your-child-in-a-hot-car

quote:

So far, this year alone, three children have died in South Carolina after being left in a car, officials say.

It's an honest mistake people feel would not happen to them.

This is what the experts want you to know to help you check the back seat:

Leave a purse or important item you will need in the backseat (something like your phone, a purse, or even a shoe)
Hang a mirror above your child's backseat, allowing you to see them in your rear-view mirror.
Download a mobile app like Kars 4 Kids and Driver's Little Helper that will alert your phone once arriving at your destination.
As always it is important to call 911 immediately if you notice a child or pet, trapped in a hot car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Welp

Man have you heard of Dan Schneider? just google Creepy Dan Schneider

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

It’s really an awful lot more complex than “people who shouldn’t be parent”. There’s this long heartbreaking article floating around about how it happens and drat if it doesn’t happen to some really good parents.

But because everyone thinks it couldn’t possibly happen to them, nobody markets a technological solution that’s better than driving around with just one shoe.

You ever forget your lunchbox at home?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just figured it was a conspiracy to plausibly deny murdering your kid

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

It’s really an awful lot more complex than “people who shouldn’t be parent”. There’s this long heartbreaking article floating around about how it happens and drat if it doesn’t happen to some really good parents.

But because everyone thinks it couldn’t possibly happen to them, nobody markets a technological solution that’s better than driving around with just one shoe.

Modern cars automatically disable the passenger airbag if theres a weight in the passenger seat in the expected range of a child or a car seat. You'd think they could apply the same to the rear seats to issue some kind of alert if you try to lock the car.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A friend has a car that reminds you, every single time you turn off the car, to check the backseat for important items.

It still wont fix anything, because it becomes background noise in your brain. The way it happens is tragic, and could legit happen to any parent. I hate the memes and comments like, "Isnt a kid more important than a shoe? Huck huck huck" because its callous, loving stupid, and misses the point. Its not that the shoe is more important, its that you arent tramping through Wal-Mart with one shoe on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Modern cars automatically disable the passenger airbag if theres a weight in the passenger seat in the expected range of a child or a car seat. You'd think they could apply the same to the rear seats to issue some kind of alert if you try to lock the car.

Or have it connected to the car seat itself through the LATCH or seat belt system.

e.g., if the car seat is buckled, this sends a signal through the car's seat belt warning system via the LATCH or seat belt connector.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 22, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or have it connected to the car seat itself through the LATCH or seat belt system.

e.g., if the car seat is buckled, this sends a signal through the car's seat belt warning system via the LATCH or seat belt connector.

Basically, not a whole lot of businesses want to build a sensor system to detect a kid in the back seat because if it fails and a kid dies they are pretty much hosed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crakkerjakk posted:

Basically, not a whole lot of businesses want to build a sensor system to detect a kid in the back seat because if it fails and a kid dies they are pretty much hosed.

The airbag sensor exists and is mandated. Cars have a ton of safety features and car seat makes are entirely dependent on their poo poo not failing. :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He's correct. Lincoln did nothing wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

The airbag sensor exists and is mandated. Cars have a ton of safety features and car seat makes are entirely dependent on their poo poo not failing. :shrug:

“Why should I pay more for a car to prevent bad parents from making mistakes? I’d never forget my kid in the back seat!”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You make it a luxury feature first that comes built in on the higher end trim packages then filter it down, and make it opt-out. Eventually government will flip and there will be actual new regulations introduced.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The other big difference in 68 vs 18 is that there's still a general sense on the anti-Trump side that the political process will prevail. An election will be held, Trump and the rest will be voted out, a glorious new age will dawn and all will be as it should. I'd say there was a similar attitude in the early 60s when JFK/LBJ were still seen as on the side of Civil Rights and activists still thought they could achieve full victory through nonviolent protest.

Right now there are two roads that take us towards 68:

One - The Dem wave fails, either in getting elected or actually accomplishing anything to change the course once elected. Throw in the risk of Russian interference. Once all the Left activists realize they can't rely on elections and political process to change things, they're going to start radicalizing quickly and you'll see stuff like the Black Panthers and Weathermen appear on the scene.

Two - The Dems are successful and largely retake the govt by 2020 and start pushing out more liberal policies, maybe coupled with rounds of indictments, impeachment etc. The diehard Trump supporters see it as the ultimate triumph of the Deep State and that the federal govt is irredeemably corrupt, and they go off the deep end into Militiamen, McVeigh, and Rudolph territory to 'take America back again'. They were creeping into that realm with Obama but the Freedom Caucus and particularly Trump gave them an outlet to stick it to the Libs and feel like there was still a voice for them.

Either way the real shits going to start ramping up in the 2020 campaign.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The militia poo poo is coming either way, if history teaches us anything it's that America is, on the down-low, even more of a face culture than east asia and we would rather die and take as many others with us as possible than admit being wrong about anything, ever.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

shame on an IGA posted:

The militia poo poo is coming either way, if history teaches us anything it's that America is, on the down-low, even more of a face culture than east asia and we would rather die and take as many others with us as possible than admit being wrong about anything, ever.

I don't think this is true, forgive my naive view as a dude from Britain with loads of American friends (and ones in some odd places, so not all in big cities - same problem here in west Europe though). Most of the loud mouths are total cowards - if they get hit hard enough in the face, they'll shut up again just like before. I suspect they'll have to get hosed over really hard this time.

I wondered when I was a kid how the hell shelling the crap out of Nazis in WW2 worked in my grandad's head in terms of morality - kinda getting it now.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

I don't think this is true, forgive my naive view as a dude from Britain with loads of American friends (and ones in some odd places, so not all in big cities - same problem here in west Europe though). Most of the loud mouths are total cowards - if they get hit hard enough in the face, they'll shut up again just like before. I suspect they'll have to get hosed over really hard this time.

I wondered when I was a kid how the hell shelling the crap out of Nazis in WW2 worked in my grandad's head in terms of morality - kinda getting it now.

Most maybe cowards but it really only takes one. Dude who ran everyone over in Charlottesville just decided in the moment to attempt mass murder by car. Mcveigh was basically a lone wolf and killed hundreds all on his own.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I see the militia thing getting stomped out pretty quickly by a Democrat-appointed AG. You may have some lone wolf stuff, but the FBI could easily roll everyone up if they felt like it, especially since most of them are relying on electronic communications.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

I feel like the act of locking your kid in the car during summer is a pretty good example of a turning point between good and bad parents. Which of these makes more sense:
"We thought we were good parents until we locked Timmy in the car last July and he baked to death."
or
"We think we're good parents despite that time we locked Timmy in the car last July and he baked to death."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In case anyone missed it this week, Israel passed a law which basically transforms it into a theocracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/israel-nation-state-law/565712/

Some Right Wing Politician posted:

When the final version passed this week, Dichter declared that “we are enshrining this important bill into a law today to prevent even the slightest thought, let alone attempt, to transform Israel to a country of all its citizens,”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

I feel like the act of locking your kid in the car during summer is a pretty good example of a turning point between good and bad parents. Which of these makes more sense:
"We thought we were good parents until we locked Timmy in the car last July and he baked to death."
or
"We think we're good parents despite that time we locked Timmy in the car last July and he baked to death."

You ever leave something important somewhere you shouldn’t have?

These people aren’t intentionally leaving their kids in a car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

You ever leave something important somewhere you shouldn’t have?

These people aren’t intentionally leaving their kids in a car.

I would loving hope not. Intent isn't all that matters.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

or

You're missing a point, which is fine btw - you're ascribing some judgement to the person's head on that action. Turns out we don't as a species work like that, and you can literally for moments, or minutes, forget your kid exists.

It's loving scary and simultaneously just a thing we do. In your brain it's literally on a level with losing your keys.

We've measured it. Brains are loving awful.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Julian Assange is about to get tossed out of the Ecuadorian embassy.

Gonna be hilarious if he's subpoena'd by Mueller, charged with conspiracy, and is a key witness in the Trump/Russia campaign.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Think about all the things you're not thinking about right now. You can't, because you're not thinking about them! Memory is a really loving weird thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

In case anyone missed it this week, Israel passed a law which basically transforms it into a theocracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/israel-nation-state-law/565712/

Yeah, I saw that. Its basically enshrining their end game with Gaza, which is: Slowly burn them out and then shove them out to build settlements.

Its sad, but apparently the Israeli's are taking a few pages from the Lebensraum plans...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I saw that. Its basically enshrining their end game with Gaza, which is: Slowly burn them out and then shove them out to build settlements.

Its sad, but apparently the Israeli's are taking a few pages from the Lebensraum plans...

Well I'm sure our political leadership will see the morally repugnant actions and stand against them. :derp:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Fister Roboto posted:

Think about all the things you're not thinking about right now. You can't, because you're not thinking about them! Memory is a really loving weird thing.

That's attentional blindness. Simmons and Chabris started looking at focus in 1999 with their gorilla experiment. Since most people here are in the military or some other such high pressure job where decisions have to be made in rapid succession and with great uncertainty, it's a pretty interesting place to start.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CommieGIR posted:

I was gonna draw a comparison to manifest destiny, but I'm too tired to put more thought into it than that. Yours is better though, if not a bit more (ok, more than a bit) hosed up.

I wonder what will happen with Assange though, I suspect someone will want to talk to him about the election meddling. I wonder if we'll make the same deal Trump did with Putin, where the British interrogate him the we let the British work over our ambassador. It'd be an incredible offer.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

LOL the FBI just released a bunch of heavily redacted documents due to the NYT Freedom of Information requests on the wiretaps and documents related to Carter Page.

100% confirmed Carter Page "has been collaborating and conspiring with the Russian government", "there is probable cause that such activities involve or are about to involve violations of the criminal statutes of the United States." and Carter Page "has been the subject of targeted recruitment by the Russian government"

EDIT: The other document released says in huge bold letters "Target of this investigation is an agent of a foreign power"

Sergg fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Also he wears a stupid hat

• Locked thread