Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Vanity Fair does the best long-form true crime reporting anywhere.

Very true.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-drugs-murder

quote:

In a way, Ulbricht’s anonymity forced him to double down on his alter ego, Dread Pirate Roberts. The decision to murder Curtis Green was the most chilling example. Not only did Ulbricht willingly commission an $80,000 hit, but he also kept an image of Green, his jowl hanging to the side, in a folder on his computer.

At first, Ulbricht was upset about the situation, messaging the hit man he had hired that he was “a little disturbed.” Nevertheless, he soon found a way to justify his actions as a means of protecting his business. “I am pissed that he turned on me,” Ulbricht told the hit man. “I’m pissed I had to kill him. . . . I just wish more people had some integrity.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
One of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read was Dominick Dunne's coverage of his daughter's murder trial. He was an amazing writer.
https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1984/03/dunne198403

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Both of those are pro click.

That PI is some Sherlock Holmes level poo poo. Is that the same same guy that tracked down that dude that murdered a college kid on spring break or something? I want to say he was some kind contract worker who did conference display setups or something.

The really big guy that seemed super sweet and nice and put the girl in a suitcase and rolled her out of the hotel, right? That was another crazy read.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Solice Kirsk posted:

The really big guy that seemed super sweet and nice and put the girl in a suitcase and rolled her out of the hotel, right? That was another crazy read.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010/12/vanishing-blonde-201012

quote:

The detective was struck by something else. His suspect was entirely collected. Cool and calm, entering the elevator with the woman, exiting with the suitcase, pulling it behind him out to the parking lot, then strolling back less than an hour later. Brennan had been a cop. He had seen ordinary men caught up in the aftermath of a violent crime. They were beside themselves. Shaking. Panicky. If a man rapes and beats a woman to the point where he thinks she’s dead, and then hauls the body out to dump it in the weeds, does he come strolling back into the same hotel as if nothing happened? An ordinary attacker would have been two states away by noon.

What this man’s demeanor suggested to Brennan was chilling.

He’s good at this. He’s done this before.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also, fun story, during Katrina, the staff (and their families) of the USS Alabama battleship museum in Mobile, just down the road, rode out the storm on the ship. They figured the old battlewagon was the safest place around. Even nature ain't gonna win a fight with the penultimate battleship. :black101:

Speaking of Katrina, there was the really nightmarish situation at Memorial Medical Center.

quote:

By Wednesday, the hospital was surrounded by floodwaters, without sanitation, running out of food, experiencing indoor temperatures up to 110 °F (43 °C), and had no electricity. The staff decided to evacuate the hospital. Patients on upper floors had to be carried down the stairs, and those evacuated by helicopter had to be carried up more stairs to the helipad on a separate building; several patients died while being moved. By Friday, about 2,000 patients, families and staff had been evacuated "under incredibly difficult circumstances".

Which led to...

quote:

One patient in particular, Emmett Everett, was alert and in the hospital awaiting surgery to relieve a chronic bowel obstruction, a condition not acutely life-threatening. He had fed himself breakfast that morning and asked the staff, "Are we ready to rock and roll?".One of his nurses later told investigators he had said, "Cindy, don't let them leave me behind." According to witnesses speaking to The New York Times, Pou was alleged to have administered a lethal cocktail of drugs to Everett with the intent of ending his life. Everett was a paraplegic and weighed approximately 380 pounds (170 kg); for these reasons, according to staff who participated in the discussion, Pou allegedly didn't think the staff could reasonably assist him in the evacuation.

At least 45 patients had been injected with morphine and Versed.

quote:

In 2006, a Louisiana judge found probable cause to order the arrest of Pou and two nurses for second degree murder in the deaths of several of the patients, following a nearly year-long investigation by the office of Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti. However, a grand jury in Orleans Parish refused to indict Pou on any of the counts. Eventually, the charges were expunged and the State of Louisiana paid Pou's legal fees.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jul 21, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
a lot of the officials involved in what happened before,during and after katrina should have been put against a wall for it

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Kanine posted:

a lot of the officials involved in what happened before,during and after katrina should have been put against a wall for it

im from the area and this. also a lot more white rednecks should have been put in jail for murder and hunting black people for sport

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

im from the area and this. also a lot more white rednecks should have been put in jail for murder and hunting black people for sport

What happened now?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jiminy Christmas. I knew poo poo was hosed up all over the place thanks to Katrina, but I really didn't know all about the Memorial Hospital stuff, so I dug a little deeper. If y'all are masochists and want a more detailed, harrowing long form about what happened there during/after Katrina, this NYT article has it in spades:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30doctors.html

I don't wanna start a derail about medical ethics, and I'm not qualified to make a judgement call. I feel for both the over-stressed healthcare providers, and the families of both survivors and deceased involved as well. (And I admit to being morbidly curious as to Elise the great's opinion on this whole shitshow.) I'm gonna go look at PYF Funny Pictures as a palate cleanser and then take a walk. Brrrr.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What happened now?

a bunch of white people decided they had to "defend their neighborhoods" post hurricane and shot at black people who walked near their borders, some people were killed. like one person is even being tried and he's still being tried because his lawyers cried that he couldn't possibly stand trial while waiting for a liver transplant/still waiting/he only has a few years left, let him die free!/etc etc

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jiminy Christmas. I knew poo poo was hosed up all over the place thanks to Katrina, but I really didn't know all about the Memorial Hospital stuff, so I dug a little deeper. If y'all are masochists and want a more detailed, harrowing long form about what happened there during/after Katrina, this NYT article has it in spades:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30doctors.html

I don't wanna start a derail about medical ethics, and I'm not qualified to make a judgement call. I feel for both the over-stressed healthcare providers, and the families of both survivors and deceased involved as well. (And I admit to being morbidly curious as to Elise the great's opinion on this whole shitshow.) I'm gonna go look at PYF Funny Pictures as a palate cleanser and then take a walk. Brrrr.

And this article became a book, if you want to read even more details --- Five Days At Memorial: Life and Death In a Storm-Ravaged Hospital. The author was on The Daily Show years ago.

I don't feel I'm qualified enough either to get into the medical ethics of Dr. Pou, but the judges and other politicians no doubt went after her as a way to deflect blame from them and people like them who ignored the levees and ignored the people who lived in the worst areas. And they got a small bit of revenge by refusing to indict her.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jesus Christ, Florida. The sooner a Cat-5 hurricane wipes you completely off the map, the better.

Sheriff: Stand-your-ground law protests shooter in argument over parking space

You guessed it: the dead man is black and the shooter is white.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you would prefer to listen to a podcast about Memorial Hospital.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/playing-god/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think it actually floats anymore. I think there's a very shallow slab of concrete underneath it and I don't know if it's just used to support the ship in extremely low tides or if the ship is actually attached to it.

The North Carolina is now sitting in 25 feet of river silt; according to their FAQ about ongoing repairs, the Alabama is in a similar situation

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Jesus Christ, Florida. The sooner a Cat-5 hurricane wipes you completely off the map, the better.

Save your outrage for someone who deserves it. The guy who got shot was wrong all the way, from parking in the handicap spot, to coming up from the side and assaulting the dude. The video is clear. You run around attacking people in a state full of gun nuts with stand-your-ground laws, and you’re going to end up shot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Save your outrage for someone who deserves it. The guy who got shot was wrong all the way, from parking in the handicap spot, to coming up from the side and assaulting the dude. The video is clear. You run around attacking people in a state full of gun nuts with stand-your-ground laws, and you’re going to end up shot.

And it's OK to fatally shoot somebody over poo poo like that? jfc

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sure the guy was a jackass who needed to pull his head in. Didn't deserve to be killed in front of his kid for it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Miss posted:

Correct. You made a valiant effort at minimizing what happened, but the reality is that some dude unknown to him blindsided him and physically attacked him, and now he’s on the ground and can’t be sure what’s coming. He presumably doesn’t know the attacker, but he knows the guy is willing to assault him without provocation. Seems like a pretty reasonable time to decide to use your gun.

If your coworker Bob takes a drunken swing at you after ten minutes of arguing about the Seattle Seahawks, maybe don’t shoot him.

Varkk posted:

Sure the guy was a jackass who needed to pull his head in. Didn't deserve to be killed in front of his kid for it.

Yeah. Shoving people shouldn’t be a death penalty offense. You also shouldn’t have to lay on the pavement waiting to see if the guy who just ran up and attacked you has finished with you or not. Given that, I’m going to side with the guy who was attacked, and not the guy who did the attacking.

This is not some massive injustice that Florida has delivered onto some poor young black man. This is a case where someone attacked another person and got shot in a pretty clear case of self-defense.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
523 pages is a pretty good run

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

The thread IS four years old. Maybe it's time for a new one?

For actual content, the article about the woman who had a stroke at 33 freaked me the gently caress out. That got me more than any of the murder stuff that's been posted. At the same time, though, I wish she had been a bit less hyperbolic or provided some more detailed information about the actual science behind it, because it - mostly the parts toward the end - definitely felt a bit... overblown.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The North Carolina is now sitting in 25 feet of river silt; according to their FAQ about ongoing repairs, the Alabama is in a similar situation

I could believe it. It's insanely muddy water seeing as it's an estuary. But again, I haven't been in probably 15 years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What's the problem? Don't violently attack people.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miss posted:

play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Those articles read like stdh.txt. They're both about the same SUPER-DETECTIVE who twice magically spotted the tiny clue that the police didn't. Change his name to Sherlock Holmes and it's a script for Elementary.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

play stupid games, win stupid prizes

alright who's gonna buy the vanity emote of the fat jaguar lynching a black guy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

americans are hosed lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

alright who's gonna buy the vanity emote of the fat jaguar lynching a black guy

:jerkbag:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miss posted:

americans are hosed lol

i also believe people should be allowed to brutally assault others with no recourse other than "take your beating"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Randaconda posted:

i also believe people should be allowed to brutally assault others with no recourse other than "take your beating"

if only there was something we could do short of killing somebody. alas, i can think of no such thing... murder or nothing

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are crane kicks legal in Florida?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jedit posted:

Those articles read like stdh.txt. They're both about the same SUPER-DETECTIVE who twice magically spotted the tiny clue that the police didn't. Change his name to Sherlock Holmes and it's a script for Elementary.

I'm at the point where I just don't care, they're well-written and entertaining and after reading a lot of this thread and learning about horrible cave deaths (do not read about the nutty putty cave thing) and so on, reading a super-slick mystery that gets solved and ends with the criminal behind bars is just excellent.

If you want to never rest easy about caves again though, here are the two best articles about the nutty putty cave: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/09/nutty-putty-i-really/ / https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/10/nutty-putty-were-going/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Correct. You made a valiant effort at minimizing what happened, but the reality is that some dude unknown to him blindsided him and physically attacked him, and now he’s on the ground and can’t be sure what’s coming. He presumably doesn’t know the attacker, but he knows the guy is willing to assault him without provocation. Seems like a pretty reasonable time to decide to use your gun.

No.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

"I'll just wait until he starts kicking me in the face to make really sure I'm not harming this poor, misunderstood violent attacker without reason."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To be fair, a lot of people have never experienced what happens when you get kicked in the head.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
If every fistfight ended in one of the people involved dying we would live in a stronger society, today.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
In case anyone hasn't seen the video, Markeis pushes the shooter to the ground, then steps back while the shooter takes several seconds to prop himself up, draw his gun, aim, and fire. All the while, Markeis is moving away from him. Oh, and the shooter was shouting at Markeis' girlfriend for parking in the wrong spot, which he had a history of just hanging around that store specifically to do.

But of course, a savage Negro merely existing in the presence of a pure white man is a serious threat, thank God we've all been saved from the scourge of a man defending his girlfriend from a crazy person.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen the video, Markeis pushes the shooter to the ground, then steps back while the shooter takes several seconds to prop himself up, draw his gun, aim, and fire. All the while, Markeis is moving away from him. Oh, and the shooter was shouting at Markeis' wife for parking in the wrong spot, which he had a history of just hanging around that store specifically to do.

But of course, a savage Negro merely existing in the presence of a pure white man is a serious threat, thank God we've all been saved from the scourge of a man defending his wife from a crazy person.

lol

"I violently attacked a man from the side for no reason, I should be free of all consequences!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Randaconda posted:

lol

"I violently attacked a man from the side for no reason, I should be free of all consequences!"

Nobody is saying that. They're saying he shouldn't be executed for a fistfight like it's loving Judge Dredd.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rochallor posted:

Nobody is saying that. They're saying he shouldn't be executed for a fistfight like it's loving Judge Dredd.

Then don't loving assault people? How hard is that to understand? It's not like he was running away, he was still clearly threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yup kill thread, it came at me