Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm flipping through Knights of Fate myself; and there's some insanely good poo poo in here.

Someone needs to run a game so I can be a force powered punchman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So where's this Battletech hack I've heard mention of?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

jivjov posted:

Someone needs to run a game so I can be a force powered punchman.

Same but two ewoks in a trenchcoat.
It's been more than ten years since the first time I asked to play them. I've played countless HK units, hackers and assorted evil robots over the years, but I've never had the 2 ewoks thing greenlighted by a gm.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I would accept this, we'd just stat 1 of the ewoks out as a companion

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Hey guys. I just picked up EotE and F&D - Most of the group is gonna roll Jedi, probably, but I *KNOW* somebody won't just to be contrarian and EotE looked like it was a better fit for my group over AoR.

My question is - what splatbooks are "essential", or have rules stuff that isn't in the blurb? Endless Vigil has lightsaber creation mechanics, apparently, but the blurb doesn't even mention them. The group will probably want to do a lot of stuff with ships, so the creation rules out of Fully Operational might be a good idea. I honestly did not see any real rules/mechanics stuff on any of the other sourcebooks. I also heard one of the splatbooks has a ton of rules on creating and modifying gear, my group would be all over that, but I couldn't figure out which one from the online stuff.

We're probably going to be playing a KOTOR style game, but I don't mind doing the setting stuff. I already figured out none of the gamelines are really "for" that.

Basically: halp what should I buy

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Remora posted:

Hey guys. I just picked up EotE and F&D - Most of the group is gonna roll Jedi, probably, but I *KNOW* somebody won't just to be contrarian and EotE looked like it was a better fit for my group over AoR.

My question is - what splatbooks are "essential", or have rules stuff that isn't in the blurb? Endless Vigil has lightsaber creation mechanics, apparently, but the blurb doesn't even mention them. The group will probably want to do a lot of stuff with ships, so the creation rules out of Fully Operational might be a good idea. I honestly did not see any real rules/mechanics stuff on any of the other sourcebooks. I also heard one of the splatbooks has a ton of rules on creating and modifying gear, my group would be all over that, but I couldn't figure out which one from the online stuff.

We're probably going to be playing a KOTOR style game, but I don't mind doing the setting stuff. I already figured out none of the gamelines are really "for" that.

Basically: halp what should I buy

Here are my recommendations:

If you have lots of money and enjoy collecting books, get them all.

If you aren't made of money (like me) or don't have space to store all those hard-covers, don't buy any. If a player wants to construct his/her own lightsaber let them get the resources to do so. Or just come up with some on-the-fly rules that make sense to you. A lot of the mechanics of the game don't "make sense" so anything you come up with will be on par with it. If the key is to have a fun narrative experience don't let rules get in your way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Or get on the Discord and ask for help with ideas.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Or get on the Discord and ask for help with ideas.

There's a discord?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Reik posted:

There's a discord?

https://discord.gg/MDKBrf

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7WyhWZkzk

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man, I was reading Dawn of Rebellion in prep for running a game set in that general time period, and some of the setting material contradicts what I've written. Welp, guess I've found my alternate universe divergence point. Hope my players aren't too beholden to a throw-away line in a semi-canonical supplement. Well, I like my idea better. I suppose this is a good way to weed out any insufferable dorks.

Edit: Not that I expect to be playing with insufferable dorks, but you never know.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cptn_dr posted:

Well, I like my idea better.

Well... don't leave us in suspense, out with it!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I arbitrarily picked a planet that didn't have a lot of info on it as a setting for my EotE game, and so wrote up some stuff.

Dawn of Rebellion says that it's ruled by an Empress rather than an Imperial Governor, and it gets low taxation and a measure of independence. Some of that's fine, but I'd rather there be a cold-hearted Imperial Governor running poo poo, so that's what I'll do.

It's not a big change or anything (it's super minor and dumb in the grand scheme of things) but I've already written stuff and am feeling stubborn about it.

Edit: And I've already made a dumb banner for my game, so I refuse to change things.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
That's pretty neat!

By the by, can anyone tell me if the chase rules are any good or should I just wing it?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You can just say that things break bad in arkanis and she gets deposed or has to yield to the governor?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Or she's just a ceremonial figurehead now that the Empire is flexing its muscles

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any prewritten adventures to avoid in particular? Which one is the best starter to introduce a bunch of people to the game?

Dice equivalent to two packs SHOULD be fine, right?

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 22, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Azran posted:

Any prewritten adventures to avoid in particular? Which one is the best starter to introduce a bunch of people to the game?

Dice equivalent to two packs SHOULD be fine, right?

When you get to high XP play you might need as many as three or even four red dice, but two sets is definitely enough to start out.

I (through no actual intention on my part) have somehow acquired four sets and it is too drat many to have on the table. It gets unwieldy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I've got 5 dice sets and I generally end up keeping some in the bag. It's just visually overwhelming having that many funny dice scattered across the table.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
We use 2 packs when we play, generally, but we rarely play high-end games at this point.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

We use 4 (3 from starter sets, and one from the box). The real cap is that there's only 1 red, and one Force in each set, and sometimes you need 2-3.

We split them into two even sets so that there's one in front of the GM screen and one behind.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's been confirmed that cyphers and masks will launch on August 16th. And with that the last career book is out. As well as the last book we know they're working on.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Covok posted:

It's been confirmed that cyphers and masks will launch on August 16th. And with that the last career book is out. As well as the last book we know they're working on.

Gonna be really bummed if we get the "Now the Game is complete!" announcement at GenCon :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Carteret posted:

Gonna be really bummed if we get the "Now the Game is complete!" announcement at GenCon :(

I genuinely assume they're going to transfer to a 2nd Edition, removing all the talent trees and turning your talent purchasing into the Genesys style.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’m gonna be so mad if I have to rebuy three $60 core books.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Definitely would rather hear about the end of the game than a new 2nd edition, the game as it is works completely fine and doesn't need a revision like X-Wing did.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

kingcom posted:

I genuinely assume they're going to transfer to a 2nd Edition, removing all the talent trees and turning your talent purchasing into the Genesys style.

I don't think i'd bother. I've got everything I 'need' to run any campaign I want to. Supposedly playtesters and freelancers have dropped hints that they've been working on other things yet to be announced, but given FFG's joke of a schedule to date, they'll not be out until next year if they're announced anytime soon. DoR was one of their best books to date, and Ultimate Power was the worst in the line so far, so I can't even say they've become consistently better as time has gone on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't mind a soft relaunch. Version 1.5 or something; with a single redesigned core book

8one6
May 20, 2012

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't mind a soft relaunch. Version 1.5 or something; with a single redesigned core book

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched something like a "The Last Jedi RPG" styled core book or a hardcover for the new trilogy but if IMO it's too soon for them to announce a 2e.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched something like a "The Last Jedi RPG" styled core book or a hardcover for the new trilogy but if IMO it's too soon for them to announce a 2e.

Yeah, a 1,5e cleanup/soft reboot with everything they've learned from Genesys while still maintaining high, if not complete, compatibility would be much much better than "toss your books, it's edition time"

Could even do a cheap "patch" book, for the people who already have the old ones, and use the opportunity to work on the line as a whole, either tying it into their RPGs more (with L5R for example), or with their Star Wars stuff

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They said Dawn of Rebellion was going to be the first in a series of era books, so I imagine we'll at least have an Episode 7-9 era book, and given the revival of the Clone Wars series maybe a Clone Wars era book as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, a Clone Wars/prequel era book is all but certain given the focus on the PT elsewhere in the star wars publishing world this year

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’d also take a Solo era book for EotE, that would be badass.

e: I would also gladly take them reprinting and shipping the books for 6 months or so cause I keep trying to find No Disintegrations and the drat thing is always out of stock

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'm hoping we get a slow drip of adventure modules and setting books and era books for a year or two before they rehaul the whole thing.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Begun, the edition wars have.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm hoping we get a slow drip of adventure modules and setting books and era books for a year or two before they rehaul the whole thing.

Same but idk, Genesys seems to be doing well and there are way too many people that don't like talent trees.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really dig this system but I'm almost at the point of wanting to just sell most of my books on eBay. I'm definitely not going to complete the collection or anything. Even if I were gonna complete one of the entire lines, my most complete one is Edge of the Empire and No Disintegrations is the only career splat I'm missing... and it seems to be impossible to find in Europe.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

kingcom posted:

Same but idk, Genesys seems to be doing well and there are way too many people that don't like talent trees.

Is Genesys an important improvement systems-wise? I mean, I guess one could technically recreate this game in Genesys :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

Azran posted:

Is Genesys an important improvement systems-wise? I mean, I guess one could technically recreate this game in Genesys :v:

It's simplified character creation a bit (a talent pyramid instead of trees, generic "classes" instead of specific ones, etc) mostly as a result of generic-ifying, it reduced the potential power of PCs by making the stat cap 5 instead of 6 (though I don't think most players were ever going to see a stat at 6 in normal play anyway) and removed the 'skill check to add mods to attachments' thing by just removing the ability to mod attachments which should help with power creep a bit.

There's a fan project to convert all of the Star Wars talents to Genesys (mostly determining which tier it should be and giving them generic names) and that would honestly be 85% of the conversion work you'd do as a GM anyway.

To me I like Genesys but it doesn't feel like such a step up that Fantasy Flight would need to release a 2e Star Wars with changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

8one6 posted:

It's simplified character creation a bit (a talent pyramid instead of trees, generic "classes" instead of specific ones, etc) mostly as a result of generic-ifying, it reduced the potential power of PCs by making the stat cap 5 instead of 6 (though I don't think most players were ever going to see a stat at 6 in normal play anyway) and removed the 'skill check to add mods to attachments' thing by just removing the ability to mod attachments which should help with power creep a bit.

There's a fan project to convert all of the Star Wars talents to Genesys (mostly determining which tier it should be and giving them generic names) and that would honestly be 85% of the conversion work you'd do as a GM anyway.

To me I like Genesys but it doesn't feel like such a step up that Fantasy Flight would need to release a 2e Star Wars with changes.

Yeah I genuinely hope they don't do that but I look at the path they took dark heresy 2 down.