Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Honestly Archive 81 has only gotten better over time. The first season was a little generic but had some intriguing ideas and served as a good foundation for the wacky poo poo that came after. I really like that you could come into any season and still get what's going on in a general sense. Season 3 is especially easy to jump into, my partner has been listening with me lately and the weirdness speaks for itself enough that she doesn't need any background.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Permotriassic posted:

Honestly Archive 81 has only gotten better over time. The first season was a little generic but had some intriguing ideas and served as a good foundation for the wacky poo poo that came after. I really like that you could come into any season and still get what's going on in a general sense. Season 3 is especially easy to jump into, my partner has been listening with me lately and the weirdness speaks for itself enough that she doesn't need any background.

Agreed.

So, was the latest episode of Magnus Archives just a giant slam on Quentin Tarantino?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It could be any Online Film dude tbh. But I vaguely remember people saying Tarantino’s cinematographer / DP was extremely unsung and if so it does seem to point in that direction

For a sec there I thought we were gonna get crossover between the Spider + eating old one and the circus + madness + puppet old one (via the animatronics guy) but it was not meant to be. Anyway is the Spider the same entity as the one in the patterned table and / or the cannibalism + meat entity?

I liked this week’s MAG as much as I liked the early hot streak standalones. A lot of Junji Ito in this one.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

So, was the latest episode of Magnus Archives just a giant slam on Quentin Tarantino?

That's what I thought too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway is the Spider the same entity as the one in the patterned table and / or the cannibalism + meat entity?

Yes to the former, no to the latter from what I understand. The spider power manifests in literal spiders and spider iconography (webs etc.) as well as mind control. The meat power manifests both as cannibalism and humans and the animals we eat switching places (pig, slaughterhouse). Just because humans get eaten I don't think you should assume it's related to the meat power, just as not every episode where someone dies is related to the death power.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm preaching to the choir at this point but Eskew is loving rad as hell.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I don't remember seeing it mentioned here so I'm formally posting that everyone should listen to Mission To Zyxx.

It's an improv sci-fi comedy that is such an homage to Hitchhikers Guide and Futurama it's breathtaking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I’m using the Apple podcast app and it’s garbage and I hate it. Is there a podcast app for iOS that shows my podcasts in a nice condensed list view over thinking I want to see giant tiles of all my podcasts? For some reason an iPod with iOS 11 thinks only showing me four shows at a time is more efficient than letting me list them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maybe it’s part of the iOS 12 beta but I’m pretty sure the podcast app has a list view now. Not that the app doesn’t suck, it really does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Maybe it’s part of the iOS 12 beta but I’m pretty sure the podcast app has a list view now. Not that the app doesn’t suck, it really does.

Where would I find that option if it were in 11? I fully believe I’m just incompetent at working this thing

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I use Overcast, personally. Miles better than the iOS Podcasts app.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In addition to the whole "kidnapping is the only way to move the plot forward" thing, TMA needs to stop portraying Jon as a stuttering buffoon literally all the time.

C'mon, TMA, you're better than this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are only so many way to convey info in a radio play. You can’t really have characters talking to each other about things they both know. So Jon has to be flustered.

I didn’t mind the summary of the setting this week.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

At some point he should have transitioned to angry questioning/interrogation, all things considered.

I also half expect hes being set up to die, what with all the stuff seemingly going on with and around Martin.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I mean he's had his life threatened multiple times in the recent weeks and/or simply kidnapped, I would expect him to come off as rattled (plus when was the last time he read a statement to recharge?).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Latest episode of Eskew rules, it was horrifying. Major props for something remarkably creepy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I was a little confused by narrators attitude to the whole thing given the previous episode, wasn't sure if it was forgetting or playing along. Glad to know lady was real tho

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally caught up on Bright Sessions and listened to the finale. Overall the series was solid and worth listening to although I felt like the final season stumbled a little bit but I don't have any ideas of how it should have ended so :shrug:

Looking forward to the 2020 spinoff of Caleb in college though. He and Adam we're probably my favorites because they were just two dumb teenagers doing dumb teenager things while the adults committed crimes and tripped over themselves on whose turn it was to gently caress up this time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I finally caught up on Bright Sessions and listened to the finale. Overall the series was solid and worth listening to although I felt like the final season stumbled a little bit but I don't have any ideas of how it should have ended so :shrug:

Looking forward to the 2020 spinoff of Caleb in college though. He and Adam we're probably my favorites because they were just two dumb teenagers doing dumb teenager things while the adults committed crimes and tripped over themselves on whose turn it was to gently caress up this time.

I mean my problem with it wasn't that it ended, it was that it seems like they arbitrarily were like "We don't wanna do the main series anymore" which is fine but they then sorta scrabbled together a "final" season that was still open ended because of the side projects/sequels/whatever which is fine too but it also meant the thing was a bit of a mess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean my problem with it wasn't that it ended, it was that it seems like they arbitrarily were like "We don't wanna do the main series anymore" which is fine but they then sorta scrabbled together a "final" season that was still open ended because of the side projects/sequels/whatever which is fine too but it also meant the thing was a bit of a mess.

But we got to spend more time with Rose! Who they tried so very hard to make work but uh...

Man was she the worst.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

But we got to spend more time with Rose! Who they tried so very hard to make work but uh...

Rose was terrible; she occupied the space that a major character with some kind of arc should have, but instead just, had no growth and her only conflicts were behind the scenes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm glad I dropped that series.. I listened to it longer than I should have. That and the one about the girls who talked like they were poster children for /r/iamverysmart trapped in some alternate dimension fairy land or whatever the gently caress was going on. I can't even think of the title now. Is that still a thing?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

New Leaf posted:

I'm glad I dropped that series.. I listened to it longer than I should have. That and the one about the girls who talked like they were poster children for /r/iamverysmart trapped in some alternate dimension fairy land or whatever the gently caress was going on. I can't even think of the title now. Is that still a thing?

Mabel? Yeah it's still a thing. Personally, I like it quite a bit and I'm still listening to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

Rose was terrible; she occupied the space that a major character with some kind of arc should have, but instead just, had no growth and her only conflicts were behind the scenes.

But she checked off another box on the LGBT spectrum!

New Leaf posted:

I don't regret listening to Bright Sessions but it felt like it should have ended shortly after Damien got wrecked and not meandered through another season. I might actually check out the books when they come out but even that has a book dedicated to breakout hit character Rose.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Of the long running podcasts that just ended, Wolf 359, Ars Paradoxa, Bright Sessions, I feel Bright Sessions we’re the most satisfying of an ending.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I thought Wolf 359 really hit it out of the park, though it would've been nice to have more of a hint of what happens next.

I haven't listened to Ars Paradoxica yet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I thought Wolf 359 really hit it out of the park, though it would've been nice to have more of a hint of what happens next.

I haven't listened to Ars Paradoxica yet.

Yeah, I haven't listened to Ars Paradoxica yet either, but like, the second last episode of season 1 right up until the end of Wolf 359 was basically a perfect story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You know what surprises me? The audio drama creators all seem to know each other but there isn't much overlap when it comes to voices

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Len posted:

You know what surprises me? The audio drama creators all seem to know each other but there isn't much overlap when it comes to voices

What? There’s tons of overlap. Lauren Shippen was in Wolf 359, Zach Valenti was in Ars Paradoxica, Kristin DiMercurio is in Archive 81, Scotty Shoemaker is in StarTripper! and I’m sure I could come up with lots more if I thought about it.

Arrhythmia posted:

I have yet to hear anything bad about Rose as a character. The problem is that she really had nothing to do with the story and her relationships with the other characters were superfluous. I think someone here pointed out that her main conflicts had already been covered in season one: she was feeling disconnected from the world like Sam, she was nervous about a same-sex relationship like Caleb, and she was worried about accidentally abusing her powers like Chloe. I've got nothing against her as a character, but she could have been removed and changed very little. It would have been better to save her for the post-series one-shots.

Len posted:

But she checked off another box on the LGBT spectrum!

I might actually check out the books when they come out but even that has a book dedicated to breakout hit character Rose.

And there's that. Lauren said at one point she felt bad that there was no representation for lesbians, which is a nice sentiment but really shouldn't have happened if there wasn't something for her to do. A spin-off book seems like the best place for her, since it can be her story and not get in the way of the others.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The last season makes sense to me if you consider TBS as being centered on characters, not plot. From a story standpoint, the last arc was a bit convoluted (especially "The Order," which really shouldn't have been thrown in that late). But from a character perspective, it was ended the arcs and summed up the growth of the people we've gotten to know. Sam had to confront her clinginess and let Mark go, Chloe recovered from her assault and learned to use her power more responsibly, Caleb started thinking about life after high school, Joan and Owen accepted their past failures and found new roles at the AM, Mark entered recovery for his alcoholism and broke up with Sam, and there were some others. I'd say Wolf 359's ending was great from a plot and character standpoint while Bright Sessions had good character resolution but somewhat weak plot. For an ending that was bad on both fronts, look at The Black Tapes. An open-ended plot might have been okay, but they didn't even resolve any character arcs, they almost literally said "we're bored, write your own ending."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 28, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

What? There’s tons of overlap. Lauren Shippen was in Wolf 359, Zach Valenti was in Ars Paradoxica, Kristin DiMercurio is in Archive 81, Scotty Shoemaker is in StarTripper! and I’m sure I could come up with lots more if I thought about it.

I meant more as main character roles than just guest appearances but that's still neat and I didn't notice/remember most of those guest appearances

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm also surprised at how there doesn't seem to be any older VA's who are into the whole narrative podcasting. Anytime they need someone over forty (The Magnus Archives, Archive 81) the role seems to fall on someone's parents.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

I have yet to hear anything bad about Rose as a character. The problem is that she really had nothing to do with the story and her relationships with the other characters were superfluous. I think someone here pointed out that her main conflicts had already been covered in season one: she was feeling disconnected from the world like Sam, she was nervous about a same-sex relationship like Caleb, and she was worried about accidentally abusing her powers like Chloe. I've got nothing against her as a character, but she could have been removed and changed very little. It would have been better to save her for the post-series one-shots.

And there's that. Lauren said at one point she felt bad that there was no representation for lesbians, which is a nice sentiment but really shouldn't have happened if there wasn't something for her to do. A spin-off book seems like the best place for her, since it can be her story and not get in the way of the others.

The last season makes sense to me if you consider TBS as being centered on characters, not plot. From a story standpoint, the last arc was a bit convoluted (especially "The Order," which really shouldn't have been thrown in that late). But from a character perspective, it was ended the arcs and summed up the growth of the people we've gotten to know. Sam had to confront her clinginess and let Mark go, Chloe recovered from her assault and learned to use her power more responsibly, Caleb started thinking about life after high school, Joan and Owen accepted their past failures and found new roles at the AM, Mark entered recovery for his alcoholism and broke up with Sam, and there were some others. I'd say Wolf 359's ending was great from a plot and character standpoint while Bright Sessions had good character resolution but somewhat weak plot. For an ending that was bad on both fronts, look at The Black Tapes. An open-ended plot might have been okay, but they didn't even resolve any character arcs, they almost literally said "we're bored, write your own ending."

I guess my problem with TBS was that it wasn't sure what it wanted to be sometimes. Like, I get that it's mostly a character drama, but then everything with The AM and the wider universe just feels out of place and tacked on. If it wants to expand into an extended universe, then they didn't do enough with it. It straddled the fence too much.

Also for someone with such a hard on for representation, I wish Lauren Shippen would have introduced a character with a disability who'd get into a relationship with someone without one. Inter-ability relationships get like, no play anywhere.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally finished Wolf 359 the other day and wow what an ending. It's catapulted the podcast into probably my Top 20, if not Top 10 of "cool media I've read/watched/listened to. I'm really sad it's gone but I'm giving The Bright Sessions a try based on recommendations I saw on the Wolf 359 subreddit. Seems interesting so far 2 sessions in.

I heard the ending of The Black Tapes was really bad. I've yet to start Season 3, I thought Season 2 was kinda meh but I loved Season 1. Should I stick with it or is it better off dropping?

I completely stopped with TANIS after a few episodes of Season 3 as it seemed to be getting further and further from any kind of cohesive plot, which is a shame because the whole premise is really neat.

Any other podcasts out there with a similar vibe to Wolf 359?

And to give some ratings:

Wolf 359 - 6/5, everyone should listen to it

The Black Tapes Season 1 - 5/5
The Black Tapes Season 2 - 3/5

TANIS Season 1 - 4/5
TANIS (everything else) - 2/5

Rabbits - 3/5

Limetown - 5/5

The Message - 5/5 (although I found the obvious corporate tie-ins jarring)

Welcome to Nightvale - 5/5, although the length is now incredibly intimidating

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 30, 2018

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

axeil posted:

Finally finished Wolf 359 the other day and wow what an ending. It's catapulted the podcast into probably my Top 20, if not Top 10 of "cool media I've read/watched/listened to. I'm really sad it's gone but I'm giving The Bright Sessions a try based on recommendations I saw on the Wolf 359 subreddit. Seems interesting so far 2 sessions in.

I heard the ending of The Black Tapes was really bad. I've yet to start Season 3, I thought Season 2 was kinda meh but I loved Season 1. Should I stick with it or is it better off dropping?

I completely stopped with TANIS after a few episodes of Season 3 as it seemed to be getting further and further from any kind of cohesive plot, which is a shame because the whole premise is really neat.

Any other podcasts out there with a similar vibe to Wolf 359?

And to give some ratings:

Wolf 359 - 6/5, everyone should listen to it

The Black Tapes Season 1 - 5/5
The Black Tapes Season 2 - 3/5

TANIS Season 1 - 4/5
TANIS (everything else) - 2/5

Rabbits - 3/5

Limetown - 5/5

The Message - 5/5 (although I found the obvious corporate tie-ins jarring)

Welcome to Nightvale - 5/5, although the length is now incredibly intimidating

Have you not started The Magnus Archives yet?

Also, maybe I'm broken because I couldn't get into Wolf 359 when I tried a couple years ago.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Have you not started The Magnus Archives yet?

Also, maybe I'm broken because I couldn't get into Wolf 359 when I tried a couple years ago.

I have not, the premise seems neat though!

The one negative of Wolf 359 is that it took them about 10 episodes to get the tone/atmosphere right so those first 10 episodes can be a bit rougher.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If you want something with very similar vibes to Wolf, Girl in Space is really good though much quicker paced.

If you're looking for something different in style but extremely well produced Magnus Archives, I am in Eskew and Ars Paradoxical are in my top 20 for sure.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

If you want something with very similar vibes to Wolf, Girl in Space is really good though much quicker paced.

If you're looking for something different in style but extremely well produced Magnus Archives, I am in Eskew and Ars Paradoxical are in my top 20 for sure.

Thanks! I'll have to give these a listen.

Has Gabriel Urbina/Kinda Evil Genius Productions announced any plans for a new show? The whole cast/crew was amazing and I'd love to see more stuff from them.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
axeil, you NEED to listen to Magnus. It's great stuff.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I need you guys to listen to Mission To Zyxx so I can talk about it with someone. It's the best improv sci-fi in the entirety of this Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

axeil, you NEED to listen to Magnus. It's great stuff.

I subscribed to it but I can't download episodes till I get home because I use an iPod like I'm still living in 2007.