Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Electivire Convulsive Therapy :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Please tell me that's the height of Gardevoir's awfulness and it goes uphill from here. :geno:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hunt11 posted:

It is a heel though so it is Fire/Dark not Fire/Fighting.
...So it is. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gen 4, so I was judging it based on appearance. And it certainly looks like a Fire/Fighting to me. I was also going off something some of my friends who play Pokemon much more regularly were saying, but it's possible that was from before release when its typing wasn't known, or maybe I'm even confusing it and Emboar.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Please tell me that's the height of Gardevoir's awfulness and it goes uphill from here. :geno:

HA!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
WHY DOES CAIN BREAK OUT INTO POKEMON ANIME SONGS?!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

This is terrrible, but not as terrible as I expected, so good job Amethyst I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well that was mind-numbing and not good and kind of utterly pointless and divorced from context and just loving weird honestly.

Oddly it was more boring than I expected it to be though. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

PMush Perfect posted:

It's well established that the only comp format that Nintendo cares about is doubles, and Sneak Peaks isn't a big deal there.

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is the correct take.

Singles is garbage and has been garbage for 4 generations now. Doubles is the de facto Pokemon meta at this point in time.
It's so ironic that doubles is Nintendo's official competitive format and yet the games are still 90% single format. Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are the only games that had mainly double battles, and they were side series games all the way back in the third Gen. There's not even an option to make in-game battles default to double battles or something like that, so you end up ignoring moves like Helping Hand since you almost never get a chance to use them.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Saladin Rising posted:

It's so ironic that doubles is Nintendo's official competitive format and yet the games are still 90% single format. Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are the only games that had mainly double battles, and they were side series games all the way back in the third Gen. There's not even an option to make in-game battles default to double battles or something like that, so you end up ignoring moves like Helping Hand since you almost never get a chance to use them.

This is a really good point. There's a lot of space there for a new game, really; doubles as a format has come a long way from the way it was when Colosseum and XD were released, and while I suspect you'd have to manage the complexity somewhat to keep the game accessible, you could do a lot with a full doubles adventure now. Doubles strategies also seem like a really good way to give memorable quirks and personality to boss fights in a way that's harder to do with singles (Reborn is kind of the failure mode of that, really).

Honestly, now I think about it, this would be pretty good territory for fangames to explore, since Game Freak themselves don't seem terribly interested in it any more. Too bad we end up getting stuff like Reborn instead...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

...So it is. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gen 4, so I was judging it based on appearance. And it certainly looks like a Fire/Fighting to me. I was also going off something some of my friends who play Pokemon much more regularly were saying, but it's possible that was from before release when its typing wasn't known, or maybe I'm even confusing it and Emboar.
The signature move you can upgrade (once per battle) to that move that summons a wrestling ring is Dark, even!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I don't know what I hated most about what happened in that update. Of the three Pokemon fangames I've seen LPs of, Reborn is by far the worst.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If there was ever a hallmark of bad teenage RP, it's having like 8 characters in a room, every one with a laundry list of zany "I'm the last half-unicorn princess, trained by dragons in secret from birth as a psychic assassin, and I feel sorrow three times as strongly as other people" character traits, and then being unable to come up with a single interesting line for any of them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

megane posted:

If there was ever a hallmark of bad teenage RP, it's having like 8 characters in a room, every one with a laundry list of zany "I'm the last half-unicorn princess, trained by dragons in secret from birth as a psychic assassin, and I feel sorrow three times as strongly as other people" character traits, and then being unable to come up with a single interesting line for any of them.

Let's not forget the brief interlude with the dude whose Gardevoir has the hots for him, which was all but certainly part of the original character. It not bad teenage RP without the sex-obsessed weirdo.

And, so, we're not even halfway yet? :suicide:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wonder if the gardevoir was actually someone's oc and actually initiated that stuff :suicide:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

WHY DOES CAIN BREAK OUT INTO POKEMON ANIME SONGS?!
Because he's Quirky, and Quirks are the bad writer's substitute for actual personalities.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Leraika posted:

I wonder if the gardevoir was actually someone's oc and actually initiated that stuff :suicide:
She was indeed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

She was indeed.

Wait what. They were separate characters? No. No no no. Oh god, no. This is so much worse than I imagined. I just assumed it was one weirdbeard RPing as himself and also his Gardevoir waifu, you're telling me someone was actually RPing that Gardevoir themselves?!

:allbuttons:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm quoting because I've never seen it before and it's amazing

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Wait what. They were separate characters? No. No no no. Oh god, no. This is so much worse than I imagined. I just assumed it was one weirdbeard RPing as himself and also his Gardevoir waifu, you're telling me someone was actually RPing that Gardevoir themselves?!

Yes, the Gardevoir was even a moderator.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Onmi posted:

CAN'T WAKE UP

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I learn something new every day

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

limeicebreakers posted:

I learn something new every day

I wish I could unlearn this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Onmi posted:

NO

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

CANCEL EVERYTHING

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

can't decide whether to vote :gas: for the content or :five: for the commentary

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Onmi posted:

I changed my mind. :stonk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Onmi posted:

Nononononononononononono

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Onmi, you are providing an invaluable service to us all

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EclecticTastes posted:

How long has this perfection been a thing???

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

How long has this perfection been a thing???

If nothing else, this thread is spreading awareness of the glorious allbuttons smilie, so there's some silver lining to this dark cloud of lovely fanfiction.

I'm not sure how long it's been around, but not too long, maybe a year and half?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Meanwhile, the LP itself continues to be a :suspense: train wreck.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

...Seriously? You think that deserves an allbuttons? A five second pause is three seconds too long to act surprised about it.

Amethyst doesn't come off well here, certainly. Her self-insert could have solved the plot herself, what with the direct communication line to her the PC stumbles across. But that would involve her doing something noteworthy past the first hour of the game, and she can't let herself be a main character or anything.

The gang's retreat doesn't make any sense, of course. It would have been simpler to just wait for the police to arrive and then immediately expose the crazy doctor's crimes to them. And if the police decide to ignore that and be bad guys, then they can be dealt with the same way as other bad guys.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

...Seriously? You think that deserves an allbuttons? A five second pause is three seconds too long to act surprised about it.

Amethyst doesn't come off well here, certainly. Her self-insert could have solved the plot herself, what with the direct communication line to her the PC stumbles across. But that would involve her doing something noteworthy past the first hour of the game, and she can't let herself be a main character or anything.

The gang's retreat doesn't make any sense, of course. It would have been simpler to just wait for the police to arrive and then immediately expose the crazy doctor's crimes to them. And if the police decide to ignore that and be bad guys, then they can be dealt with the same way as other bad guys.

The problem is that the "RPer with a Gardevoir that wants to jump his bones" is actually "An RPer played as the thirsty Gardevoir" and then subsequently was also a moderator for the forum. The rest of the update kind of fell to the wayside in light of those revelations.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I can only think of one thing hearing this latest bit of trivia.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
What's everyone so annoyed at? Pokemon and humans getting married is totally canon! It's in the backstory of the Japanese versions of Diamond/Pearl in some obscure text that will never be brought up ever again because holy poo poo, that's walking a thin line, you might as well tell them exactly what they're doing over at the daycare.

Amethyst. You wanted to adapt an RP into a fangame. Fantastic. There are some things best left behind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Level Seven posted:

I can only think of one thing hearing this latest bit of trivia.

Ah, good old SMT demon negotiation.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I am constantly baffled at the complete lack of shame.

Why would you be PROUD of this stupid, stupid bullshit? It's all boring, nonsensical and badly written, with moments ranging from creepy to utterly offensive. And if you're into slave/bestiality sex fantasies or whatever, why would you want everyone to know?

Just being not very good is one thing. Uranium is not a good game, but the devs obviously worked really hard on it, almost managed to avoid creepy edge fuckery, and there was actually stuff there to be proud of.

But this is... this is people choosing a fandom and franchise they clearly dislike purely because it gives them the easiest setting to show off their fetishes. The game is here as a framing device for their lovely self-inserts. It's a (bad) visual novel but instead of just pressing buttons to continue you have to struggle through stupid unbalanced fights to unlock the next piece of garbage 'story', that isn't a story so much as it is random people vomiting their inner secrets at you so you know to run screaming into the night should you ever meet any of them in person.

This is Major\Minor if Klace made you battle between scenes. Except M\M was a lot more honest about it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Onmi posted:

gently caress me, I'll just go with this like everyone else:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Of course the thirsty Gardevoir was a moderator. :allears: It's great seeing how many people are apparently shocked and/or disturbed by this. (Maybe I'm just jaded to the ways of the Internet.)