Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jagstag posted:

his room.e series was good though if you don't want to work through the rise and fall of the roman empire

As a counterpoint it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I think his last Decline of the Roman Republic episode was where Carlin jumped the shark. Up until then the show was some good, if shallow, history where he was a very good narrator When he started doing incredibly long single episodes he got way too indulgent with his analogies and constantly repeating himself.

Robin Lane Fox said something on the History Extra podcast for their Wolfson History Prizes episode a few years ago back that made me realize why I had grown tired of Carlin - Making comparisons to the present day shows little respect toward the reader. I couldn't get through the introduction to Margaret MacMillan's The War That Ended Peace because she was doing that and I found it a little annoying. With Carlin's podcast it's obnoxious.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
He's an autodidact - with all the pluses and minuses that entails - and one that has no appetite for scholarship and no consideration for method. His is a search for the most novelistic presentation of events possible and then its transcription in to long-form sports commentary.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I find him a lot more entertaining than other history podcasters and I guess that says something bad about my intellect or my interest in the lurid side of history. I was listening to the Tides of History guy who seems like more of a scholar and I just couldn't get into it, despite the excellent production.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

He's one of those guys who is good for sweeping background info in a subject you know little to nothing about and just want the broad strokes on. I really enjoyed his series on the mongols and, even if I was cringing a bit here and there when he wandered into philosophy or trying to compare their slaughter to the Holocaust, all in all it was fun enough to listen to while working out specifically because I know gently caress all about the Mongol empire. I learned the basic broad strokes and by itself that's an interesting story. Maybe I absorbed some old interpretations or controversial opinions presented as fact, but it gave me a decent starting point to at least understand the major issues at stake.

On the other hand I listened to the first half of his WW1 series and had to stop or I was going to end up throwing my phone in a lake. That's a subject where I have a better-than-passing understanding of the scholarship and major interpretive issues and hoooooooly poo poo that dude just accepts a lot of stuff really uncritically.

He also just LOVES to ruminate on turning points that never happened. "Just think, if this guy had stopped and eaten a full breakfast on that sunny spring morning in 1914 Gavrillo Principe would have stayed home and read a book instead and the entire tragic history of the 20th century would have been averted saving hundreds of millions of lives."

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

He can be infuriating if you know anything more than HS knowledge of the subject he is talking about. However for your every day Joe who isn’t going to read and just wants the broad strokes you can do far worse.

Remember, most people actively stop giving a poo poo about history after high school (if they even paid attention to it then - our recently political climate should be exhibit A of people’s ignorance to history - personal anecdote and example a lot of my family still thinks the civil war was about "states rights" no matter how often I try to correct them. And any history or points of view of history that isn't directly related to the US completely confuses/befuddles them ) and if they learn anything further it’s usually from some dreg from the History Channel. Dan Carlin at least attempts to take an “all-sides-view” and he tries to not have a specific Anglo view of history. Also he admits his shortcomings up front and encourages people to learn more on their own.

I mean, I cringed at a lot of what he said during the WWI podcast since it’s a subject I’ve studied deeply but I enjoyed the personal anecdotes he read (soldiers letters, personal diaries of the generals, etc) and still found it enjoyable for my hour work commute. His Fall of the Roman Republic and Genghis Khan podcasts were absolutely fantastic since I was completely ignorant of those subjects and they inspired me to read more about them.

I say if you have a friend or relative who is interested in an area of history that Dan has covered, by all means have them listen. Once they are done, ask if they want to know more, then kindly point them to some works by authors who can give them a more in-depth view of the subject. At the end of the day, I think that is Dan's goal. Not to be an expert, but to get people interested so they begin to read from experts/primary sources and learn more.
And it's not just with Dan, but I try to get them to watch a documentary as well if there is a good one on the subject. For most people, it is far easier for them to digest Audio/Visual media first in order to get interested in a subject, so you might as well point them to sources that are not terrible. After that, get them to read if they actively wish to learn more about the subject.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 21, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That's the point, I think. I like listening while I run. I've gotten my girlfriend interested in history because of his Mongols series. I'll read better and more critical history on my own, so I don't need or expect top-notch scholarship from him.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Everyone itt: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i3lrv?start=378

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hated his Mongol series because it’s like twelve hours long and I felt like i learned nothing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whelp, just emailed this to half a dozen grad school buddies and all my coworkers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

He can be infuriating if you know anything more than HS knowledge of the subject he is talking about. However for your every day Joe who isn’t going to read and just wants the broad strokes you can do far worse.

Remember, most people actively stop giving a poo poo about history after high school (if they even paid attention to it then - our recently political climate should be exhibit A of people’s ignorance to history - personal anecdote and example a lot of my family still thinks the civil war was about "states rights" no matter how often I try to correct them. And any history or points of view of history that isn't directly related to the US completely confuses/befuddles them ) and if they learn anything further it’s usually from some dreg from the History Channel. Dan Carlin at least attempts to take an “all-sides-view” and he tries to not have a specific Anglo view of history. Also he admits his shortcomings up front and encourages people to learn more on their own.

I mean, I cringed at a lot of what he said during the WWI podcast since it’s a subject I’ve studied deeply but I enjoyed the personal anecdotes he read (soldiers letters, personal diaries of the generals, etc) and still found it enjoyable for my hour work commute. His Fall of the Roman Republic and Genghis Khan podcasts were absolutely fantastic since I was completely ignorant of those subjects and they inspired me to read more about them.

I say if you have a friend or relative who is interested in an area of history that Dan has covered, by all means have them listen. Once they are done, ask if they want to know more, then kindly point them to some works by authors who can give them a more in-depth view of the subject. At the end of the day, I think that is Dan's goal. Not to be an expert, but to get people interested so they begin to read from experts/primary sources and learn more.
And it's not just with Dan, but I try to get them to watch a documentary as well if there is a good one on the subject. For most people, it is far easier for them to digest Audio/Visual media first in order to get interested in a subject, so you might as well point them to sources that are not terrible. After that, get them to read if they actively wish to learn more about the subject.

what did he gently caress up with the WW1 stuff. as someone said up thread, he cribs off guns of august and gets redundant.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

lol

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what did he gently caress up with the WW1 stuff. as someone said up thread, he cribs off guns of august and gets redundant.

Nothing major honestly. However someone is free to correct me as I’m not an expert just an avid reader / documentary watcher.

I’m probably being harsh in retrospect. He gets redundant and I remember his early stuff is a bit dated with how the lead up to the war happened, and some motivations for the offensive tactics used. He also seemed to mostly ignore the eastern front and middle eastern theaters.
Otherwise it’s fine. His description of the battle of Verdun and men literally drowning in mud at Passchendaele were horrifying :stare:

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

He accepts Tuchman super uncritically and she has some pretty glaring issues.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Dan Carlin is very History channel in that regard. A lot of their shows didn’t look very critically at their sources in order to create a rather uncomplicated narrative.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Dan Carlin is very History channel in that regard. A lot of their shows didn’t look very critically at their sources in order to create a rather uncomplicated narrative.

true. as people have said up thread and as a history major, I think he is good as a primer for most people, but just know he uses dated and biased sources. i still like his stuff, though i prefer the dollop because i like microhistory and they are funny.

also i'll take carlins world war stuff over loving history channels the WORLD WARS mini movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. as people have said up thread and as a history major, I think he is good as a primer for most people, but just know he uses dated and biased sources. i still like his stuff, though i prefer the dollop because i like microhistory and they are funny.

also i'll take carlins world war stuff over loving history channels the WORLD WARS mini movie.

Though if you look at it deeper you are gonna be a little confused, as that is what happened when I watched their series on Barbarians and later learned how much of their info was either wrong or only one theory.

Also Dan could use the actors from the Barbarian series which had a production budget of 8 dollars, to illustrate his points.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone have recommendations for a social history of leisure? A friend and I were having a conversation about how often European peasants who lived near one went to the beach, but I’d really be interested in any time period.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a social history of leisure? A friend and I were having a conversation about how often European peasants who lived near one went to the beach, but I’d really be interested in any time period.

If you're at all interested in Russia, Louise McReynolds' Russia at Play is a good academic history of leisure in the late Russian Empire. More focused on the nascent middle class than on peasants though because that's who the sources are about.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I know next to 0 about the Wars of the Roses. How can I get into learning about that?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

COOL CORN posted:

I know next to 0 about the Wars of the Roses. How can I get into learning about that?

read alison weir's the wars of the roses

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Dan Jones 'The Hollow Crown'/'The Wars of the Roses' is a pretty nice narrative history.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr_Roke posted:

Dan Jones 'The Hollow Crown'/'The Wars of the Roses' is a pretty nice narrative history.

also a good option. I do prefer Weir, partly because I think she's just a better writer and partly because she includes a lot more of the probably-apocryphal anecdotes that make the WoR so much fun (while duly noting that they are probably apocryphal). her book has the weird flaw of ending before Richard III is deposed, though.

either book will do you right, I think.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Any good reads on the First Red Scare (1917-21)?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A human heart posted:

Hardcore is a great genre containing a lot of great bands my man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KeplwDwEB4

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Found a copy of Landmark Herodotus in really good shape for $15 at a local book store today. Excited to dive into that.

Does anyone have reccommendations for books on Alexander and early Rome?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

What’s the general consensus on Nixonland?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Meridian posted:

Found a copy of Landmark Herodotus in really good shape for $15 at a local book store today. Excited to dive into that.

Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green is probably the best bio.

There is a distinct lack of non academic books on early Rome but I’d recommend giving The Rise of Rome: From the Iron Age to the Punic Wars by Kathryn Lomas a look. It’s new, published just last February and I haven’t yet read it yet but it covers the period and looks extremely promising. Keep in mind that this is NOT the similarly named Rise of Rome by Anthony Everett which is fine but really feels like little more than Livy packaged for a modern audience. It’s straight forward and mostly uncritical.

SPQR by Mary Beard covers early Rome for the first quarter or so of the book but I can’t say I’m a huge fan because in my opinion she goes too far the other way and brushes off most of the early history as “we can’t know how much truth is in the accounts of Roman history pre 280BC so gently caress it were gonna assume it’s all bullshit.”

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 5, 2018

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

What’s the general consensus on Nixonland?

loving fantastic.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green is probably the best bio.

There is a distinct lack of non academic books on early Rome but I’d recommend giving The Rise of Rome: From the Iron Age to the Punic Wars by Kathryn Lomas a look. It’s new, published just last February and I haven’t yet read it yet but it covers the period and looks extremely promising. Keep in mind that this is NOT the similarly named Rise of Rome by Anthony Everett which is fine but really feels like little more than Livy packaged for a modern audience. It’s straight forward and mostly uncritical.

SPQR by Mary Beard covers early Rome for the first quarter or so of the book but I can’t say I’m a huge fan because in my opinion she goes too far the other way and brushes off most of the early history as “we can’t know how much truth is in the accounts of Roman history pre 280BC so gently caress it were gonna assume it’s all bullshit.”

could you share just some more recs on Roman history, from the republic through the collapse of the western empire? it's drat hard to find any single-volume survey - the Oxford History spends about half of its length on historiography and culture, which while interesting in its own right is not quite what i'm looking for.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Re Nixonland/Perlstein, check out his most recent NYT piece after you're done, he discusses some of his intellectual blind spots in a really refreshing and honest way imo

E: here it is https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/magazine/i-thought-i-understood-the-american-right-trump-proved-me-wrong.html

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I’m traveling to India in the fall and I’ve realized I know very little about Indian history. I’ve found books on Partition but I’m more interested in earlier history: the Raj, the British East India Company, the Mughals and further back. I haven’t had a lot of luck even on the nineteenth century piece let alone anything earlier. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a background in academic history so I don’t mind dense as long as it’s well written.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Does anyone know of a book about borders? Like, borders through the ages. How did one cross a border between Roman Gaul and Germany? How did borders become more entrenched and formalized as the bureaucratic state blossomed in the 19th century? Etc, etc. Stuff like that.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Anyone know any good books on the treatment of Koreans in Japan in the first half of the 20th century and/or the effects of the Great Kanto Earthquake on the Japanese treatment of non-Japanese?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Meridian posted:

Seconding "Alexander of Macedon" by Peter Green.

He also has another book called "Alexander to Actium" which covers the Hellenistic Age. While not specifically about Rome it talks a lot about the interactions between the Hellenistic kingdoms and the mid to late Republic.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I haven't read either of those, but I did really enjoy Peter Green's short Hellenestic age primer. A slim volume which really does a good job of conveying the flavor of the era.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Gleri posted:

I’m traveling to India in the fall and I’ve realized I know very little about Indian history. I’ve found books on Partition but I’m more interested in earlier history: the Raj, the British East India Company, the Mughals and further back. I haven’t had a lot of luck even on the nineteenth century piece let alone anything earlier. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a background in academic history so I don’t mind dense as long as it’s well written.

John Keay's "India" is about as good as a one-volume survey of Indian history as you can get.

The Chaos of Empire: The British Raj and the Conquest of India by Jon Wilson is a deep dive into that part of Indian history, and Wilson thinks the British were loving scumbags top to bottom in how they went about conquering and governing India (he's not wrong). Good read, pretty enraging book.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I’ve been on a Vietnam binge since watching the Ken Burns documentary last year. My wife having been born in Vietnam has also peaked my interest in that country’s history.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned “Embers of War”. I am a few chapters in and it is absolutely fantastic. I read Graham Greene’s “The Quiet American” earlier and until that point, that was my only source on the French period.

With that said, are there any books that focus on the initial French conquest of Vietnam? Or its history before that? Also, and this is random, but is Mark Bowden’s “Hue: 1968” any good or does it exclusively focus on the US side? It’s hard finding works that focus on the NVA or even ARVN perspectives of that period.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Hue: 1968 covers just about everyone. NVA, Viet Cong, ARVN, civilians. It's a really good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

smr posted:

The Chaos of Empire: The British Raj and the Conquest of India by Jon Wilson is a deep dive into that part of Indian history, and Wilson thinks the British were loving scumbags top to bottom in how they went about conquering and governing India (he's not wrong).

Sound like he's just got an axe to grind.