Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Speaking of dog stories, what does it mean when it says "Information Gleaned: A Hidden Item"?

Do you have to then still do something to get that item?

Just run up to a shining spot that appears (denoted on the map by a !) and press A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Folt The Bolt posted:

Have you scrutinized/inquired the soldier as well?

I thought I did, I rechecked and that was it. Thanks!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can someone tell me roughly which area the warrior shrine is? It's the only one I have left to find and I have no idea where to go.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, beelined to recruit the thief. Now the merchant skill is useless. Time to steal everything from everyone!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Man this game is great. I've finally gotten a fourth character and I am really starting to enjoy the combat. It really carries the game. The whole thing has started to open up.

I have a feeling they are gonna make a deluxe version of this game with a slightly better and more responsive UI, extra content, etc. That's ok though. If this is a well they return to many times, I'm quite ok with it. Make it a franchise. Especially if they improve the graphics and make the environments more... voxely? Anyway this game rules hard. The music is fantastic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Frankston posted:

Can someone tell me roughly which area the warrior shrine is? It's the only one I have left to find and I have no idea where to go.

From North Cobbleton Pass (the route in-between Cobbleton and Rippletide), go east onto North Stonegard Pass, the shrine is on that route.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I managed to defeat the Runelord boss using Tressa as a dodge tank with Incite and Sidestep. I知 not gonna lie, I managed to survive the boss going crazy mode cause Tressa managed to proc a blind on the boss with the bow she had equipped which left everyone else alive long enough to break and deal the last bit of damage. The boss fight was awesome and I felt like such a badass afterwards.

I dunno how to use Runelord though. What am I supposed to do with it? The element chaser only goes off once even if you basic attack with it multiple times and I知 probably being a putz and missing some hidden OP poo poo but right now I知 just confused by it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I managed to defeat the Runelord boss using Tressa as a dodge tank with Incite and Sidestep. I知 not gonna lie, I managed to survive the boss going crazy mode cause Tressa managed to proc a blind on the boss with the bow she had equipped which left everyone else alive long enough to break and deal the last bit of damage. The boss fight was awesome and I felt like such a badass afterwards.

I dunno how to use Runelord though. What am I supposed to do with it? The element chaser only goes off once even if you basic attack with it multiple times and I知 probably being a putz and missing some hidden OP poo poo but right now I知 just confused by it.

Put Runelord on Tressa. Transfer Rune turns Rest and Sidestep into multi-target abilities, along with the Runes.

EDIT: Alternatively, Olberic can use it to multi-target his self-buff abilities as well as using his weapon skills alongside the runes as a more offensively-minded Runelord.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 22, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

:toot: Congratulations.

Apparently the elemental proc is based on the elem. atk. of the weapon you use. I've got some cool bow I got from a snake on Tressa and she's dealing over 6k with the proc using just a standard attack, it's pretty wild. It also works on special attacks (denoted by the tinted icon) which means that you can AoE with it too.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Pakistani politics posted:

If this is a well they return to many times, I'm quite ok with it. Make it a franchise.

:same:

The Switch has been getting really good JRPGs and this might be the best one mechanically.

I need to stop running around with trash gear though. I got tired of trying to steal poo poo off of people in second-tier towns and I've had to start being careful about who I take where.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

jimmydalad posted:

Don't have access to the class yet but from looking, Runelord definitely looks like the worst of the four advanced jobs. The passives are nice and I can see a lot of units wanting to duck in there for a couple of them, but I think the class is best used in conjunction with Merchant. There's only a few skills in the game that target the user only, and Merchant has the two best - giving Rest and Sidestep to the whole party sounds crazy, where you donate your entire team HP SP and BP. Merchant/Runelord might be totally busted, and runelord/anyone else might be a waste.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This spreadsheet is the only thing I needed. Thank you.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From North Cobbleton Pass (the route in-between Cobbleton and Rippletide), go east onto North Stonegard Pass, the shrine is on that route.

Thank you!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just did Cyrus second boss. When he put those adds in and they took forever to kill I thought this would be a hell of a struggle, but wow after I got rid of those and got a leg hold trap on he was just stunlocked to death.

It's such an overpowered ability. Every time they get out of their break they get one turn and then you get 8 uninterrupted turns to break them again.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Don't have access to the class yet but from looking, Runelord definitely looks like the worst of the four advanced jobs. The passives are nice and I can see a lot of units wanting to duck in there for a couple of them, but I think the class is best used in conjunction with Merchant. There's only a few skills in the game that target the user only, and Merchant has the two best - giving Rest and Sidestep to the whole party sounds crazy, where you donate your entire team HP SP and BP. Merchant/Runelord might be totally busted, and runelord/anyone else might be a waste.

You should unlock the class, Runelord is insanely powerful. The catch is that the elemental followups are really, really strong and don't cost anything. Stuff like passing sidestep and rest is a fun gimmick, but passing runes alone can literally multiply the entire party's damage by 10 or more if you give everyone elemental weapons.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Send help I can't stop playing this game. I played in bed last night til my Switch was down to 20% (and I decided u had fought sleep long enough). So I docked and went to sleep. This morning I woke up, put on coffee, fed the cats, and went back to bed with coffee and Switch.

Switch is the miracle console. Also can I call this game my BOTW of JRPGs?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snake Maze posted:

You should unlock the class, Runelord is insanely powerful. The catch is that the elemental followups are really, really strong and don't cost anything. Stuff like passing sidestep and rest is a fun gimmick, but passing runes alone can literally multiply the entire party's damage by 10 or more if you give everyone elemental weapons.

I'm 25 hours in the game and have completed one chatacter's Chapter 2. I would love to go unlock it but I cannot right now

Wildtortilla posted:

Switch is the miracle console. Also can I call this game my BOTW of JRPGs?

This game has the best use of "lore" I've ever seen a game do. 99% of games that have lore as a big facet I absolutely hate because none of it matters and it's all irrelevant backstory that doesn't impact anything. In this game, reading the little character tidbits is the only way to get any sidequests done, and the game doesn't hold you hand with a "hmmm well MAYBE you heard about this from someone," you gotta fit those puzzle pieces together yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 22, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can i safely sell all the things that say they fetch a price when sold or is there a quest somewhere that needs one?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Can i safely sell all the things that say they fetch a price when sold or is there a quest somewhere that needs one?

Quest items will always have a sparkly little diamond icon, any icon where it's a little coin pouch sell that poo poo

Actually now that I check the game won't let you sell quest items, so anything is fair game

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Since Bewildering Grace usually "targets" the caster (makes you self-select after using it), does Transfer Rune make it target everyone in the party, so they all dance?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I don't think so since the Dance itself doesn't really target anything.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Edit: Glitch double post I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I only have chapter 4's now

Wondering who I should start with. Tressa is my main so I could in theory get her outta my party but like... she's also stronger than the incredible hulk so I have no strong desire to do that. She has been hoarding nuts all game. SHe's basically Broly

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Licarn posted:

In Victor's Hollow, near the savepoint, there's a guy that has a robe with over +300 elemental defence.

And in the forest of no return next door there's a chest with an elemental glaive in it near the entrance (needs Therion).

Am I reading correctly that you can get battle-tested weapons before completing a character's chapters if you can beat the challenge NPC listed and you're lucky enough that it drops? Though I'm guessing either only one can drop or the drop rate is horrifically low (or both). If so, I might take a detour to some of these NPCs for a bit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So the B team rolled into Tressa's chapter 2, still underleveled by 3-4 levels but nothing the equipment advantage doesn't easily negate. I decided to switch Cyrus to dancer before the boss fight to try and increase my JP and exp a little bit.

First dance: EXPx100

The B team is no longer underleveled.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

If so, I might take a detour to some of these NPCs for a bit.

I'm reading the chance is a 3% drop

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm reading the chance is a 3% drop

Welp so much for that then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Steal SP/HP skills are so good, basically any boss with a dagger weakness is a cakewalk since it's a free 2 break for no bp.

I'm hoping to eventually switch Therion off my team to get challenge/allure into my party, but is there any super important purple chests in the game? I don't care about cash.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

The Steal SP/HP skills are so good, basically any boss with a dagger weakness is a cakewalk since it's a free 2 break for no bp.

I'm hoping to eventually switch Therion off my team to get challenge/allure into my party, but is there any super important purple chests in the game? I don't care about cash.

The spreadsheet Euphronius quoted has a tab that details what's in the purple chests. They tend to have weapons and armor that are a tier above what you should reasonably have at that point a lot.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

There's a list of all the dungeons on the game and the purple chest contents in each one, and there's a chest in almost every dungeon in the game and the contents look pretty good. Honestly, Therion is probably the best MC you can choose just for this reason. My team is Therion Ophilia Tressa Olberic, then I swap in someone with the talking skill when I go to towns.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

My experience has been that there are a fair number of purple chests with better equipment than the other chests in a given area.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You know how the characters not in your party sometimes pop up in the tavern? I had Tressa hanging around, I went to talk to her, and she went "I bought these off a traveling merchant, hope you enjoy them!" and then I got a couple consumables. Pretty nifty!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

And in the forest of no return next door there's a chest with an elemental glaive in it near the entrance (needs Therion).

Am I reading correctly that you can get battle-tested weapons before completing a character's chapters if you can beat the challenge NPC listed and you're lucky enough that it drops? Though I'm guessing either only one can drop or the drop rate is horrifically low (or both). If so, I might take a detour to some of these NPCs for a bit.

Yes. All NPCs that drop equipment can drop them at any time, but with a very low chance of success. I've actually kitted my Warmaster!Olberic out with all the Battle-Tested Weapons + the Memorial Axe now and he hits like a truck with any of them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Is there anywhere I can buy Essence of Plum? Alfyn needs to restock before I go hit up the last shrine.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Is there anywhere I can buy Essence of Plum? Alfyn needs to restock before I go hit up the last shrine.

Nope. You must battle enemies and get it to drop.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm watching a man dying while playing octopath, because he declared to not stop streaming until he beats the game

He said this when he hasn't even started half the chapter 3's yet

edit: according to his archives, he's on hour 25

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That's all of the extra shrines down. My lead character Therion just hit level 41. With the knowledge of the passives and which characters are most useful for tackling these challenges, I imagine they could've all been done at even lower levels. I love that about this game and about the Bravely series, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boy it's hard to do without Cyrus once you get used to having him in the group. That free weakness identification every battle is fantastic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

I'm watching a man dying while playing octopath, because he declared to not stop streaming until he beats the game

He said this when he hasn't even started half the chapter 3's yet

edit: according to his archives, he's on hour 25

I think the game is deceptively long. If you break it down, each character has four chapters, and the chapters only take like 15 mins each maybe if you're not waiting for every voice line to end? That would put the game at eight hours, so even if you double the length of the chapters that's 8 hours, or 45 mins a chapter which is STILL "only" 24 hours. Once I finished all the chapter 1's I told myself "alright, now we can really start making some progress", went to bed, and woke up yesterday morning. I played for 12 hours yesterday, and I didn't do a single chapter. In fact, I'm...not totally sure what I did. I got all the subclasses, which took a little time, but not 12 hours. I did a lot of stealing I guess?

What the hell did I do yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

kwokkie posted:

I like that guard dogs have background stories. :)

I like that all 3 give hidden item locations and it's all worthless junk. Good dogs :)