Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I guess I agree that if it can't be done correctly, then it's best not to do it at all otherwise you just end up with a lovely mini game being a core part of the title. But I actually think the EL combat is a decent compromise. Your units can hit far above their weight if you play it right, as you can use positioning and support units to your full advantage. But if you out-tech or just use the appropriate unit types in the mid or late game, you can ease/remove the micro and just autocomplete them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've slowly realized that completely boring and/or 'economy wins' combat is killing a lot of TBS games I used to like quite a bit.

TBS strategic AI is almost universally braindead, diplomacy generally blows, and if the combat is bland I'm left with a build queue simulator where I build a bunch of cities and click next item/next turn a lot, autoresolving to victory once the midgame econ snowball starts accumulating.

I realize I'm generalizing, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the '4x' games I've enjoyed most in the last few years have been stuff like Warlock 1/2, Gladius, and Total Warhammer. Even Space Tyrant to some extent, and possibly Sorcerer King if it'd been made better. Meanwhile Endless Space 1/2, Endless Legend, Stellaris (ok realtime, but same general point about the combat/econ), and Civ6 I have way less playtime.

AoW3 is a notable exception for having excellent tactical combat and half decent tac AI to boot.

Frustrating too. I love bits and pieces of the rest - the Endless games have masterful UI design and wonderfully engaging worlds and factions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If you liked Warlock 1, the new WH Gladius game uses its combat system.

I'm trying to get into Endless Space 2, but it develops so slowly I get bored before anything happens.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

The Deleter posted:

Tactical combat in 4x games sucks because it is almost always a crappier second game hidden inside the first game, with less thought put into it. There's hardly any actual tactical thought required for most of them. Space 4X games suffer the most because it's hard to actually include things like terrain or meaningful manoeuvres in an infinite 3D space, so they don't bother. There's no excuse when something like Sorcerer King or Stardrive's ground combat doesn't even try and just puts everyone on a flat grid.

I can count the tactical combat systems I've enjoyed in 4X games on one hand - Sword of the Stars 1 is Total War in space and the tactical combat is basically the entire point of the game, and Age of Wonders is so insanely detailed that you can have weird interactions complicate things constantly. Endless Legend's combat is inoffensive but I would rather they committed to it with either full micro or total hands off, and not the half and half we have.

I totally agree. Not to mention that a lot of the time, being "good" at the combat in 4x's often feels kind of like you're just exploiting the game - it tends to be less about meaningful payoffs and more just that fiddling gets you free strength out of nowhere.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love me some EL and I am really looking forward to the expansion. I wonder if it is an exploratory expansion to fish for the viability of an EL2?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

4x combat being kinda bad is why CK2 is still the best 4x because lol who cares about the combat when the rest of the game is so drat interesting and never devolves into build queue simulation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As someone who auto-resolves battles all the time, I respect ES2's commitment to have auto-resolve be just as meaningful as watching the battle.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I love me some EL and I am really looking forward to the expansion. I wonder if it is an exploratory expansion to fish for the viability of an EL2?

Probably yeah, drumming up interest and or setting up some story stuff. EL2 would probably need to be set on Auriga or somewhere very similar so they'll need to do some soft retconning I guess

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably yeah, drumming up interest and or setting up some story stuff. EL2 would probably need to be set on Auriga or somewhere very similar so they'll need to do some soft retconning I guess

Could be that they are hiding underground and will re-emerge in the future post-ES2 and some Endless Technology has rejuvinated the planet (Sowers?!). This expansion could offer an alternate ending state where you go DEEPER to survive.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I mean more from a "If we make this EL expansion and no one buys it, we probably should not invest in EL2", but those are also good points.

If it is something about Inferno I could see it being their attempt to stop the Ice Age from happening in the first place, or something.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I mean more from a "If we make this EL expansion and no one buys it, we probably should not invest in EL2", but those are also good points.

If it is something about Inferno I could see it being their attempt to stop the Ice Age from happening in the first place, or something.

I am fairly sure this is a way to drum up hype for a soon to be announced EL2. They are pretty committed to the Endless universe and it seems like a logical next step for them to go with. Preventing the freezing over of Auriga is an interesting notion though. I wonder how it would fit in mechanically, if you were the Allayi and the winters were prevented, you would be screwed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mitochondritom posted:

I am fairly sure this is a way to drum up hype for a soon to be announced EL2. They are pretty committed to the Endless universe and it seems like a logical next step for them to go with.
Fair enough. I dont know the numbers on EL and its expansions or how much building EL2 would cost so that was just a shot in the dark.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd like to see an RPG released in the Endless Legend setting. At least a tabletop RPG sourcebook/campaign or something.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fair enough. I dont know the numbers on EL and its expansions or how much building EL2 would cost so that was just a shot in the dark.

I think I read that Endless Legend was well over a million copies sold. They also became part of SEGA so I guess they have a decent financial backing to do stuff and it always seems like sequels are the safer bet, especially with 4x games.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, I think once you make a successful 4x game, you stay in that franchise and never leave. It's particularly hard to pull me away from the ones I like and invest time learning a new one to the degree that I can fully enjoy it. Have to keep those repeat customers with such a high learning curve.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Of course what I really want is Dungeon of the Endless II.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Lunsku posted:

I just want to be able to listen to that ost for the first time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEU04KxQpuw

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Lunsku posted:

Same. It's just a good little game. Hard as hell though

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

but the difficulty options are easy or too easy though??

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

In Endless Space 2, is there any way to see a list of minor factions and your relationship to them and other related info? Can't seem to find that information unless I hunt and peck for the actual star systems they live in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

While I'm on ES2 questions: is there a mod or something that makes the playing field more visible? About 2-30 turns in, I have trouble distinguishing unexplored territory that I need to send probes into from background noise. Especially when near the galactic core.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megazver posted:

I'd like to see an RPG released in the Endless Legend setting. At least a tabletop RPG sourcebook/campaign or something.

Hell, same.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Megazver posted:

ZearothK posted:

Hell, same.

Some dude is working on something like this over on Amplitude's forums. Not certain how confident I am in it but Amplitude gave it the ok so I guess we'll see.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Generic Octopus posted:

Some dude is working on something like this over on Amplitude's forums. Not certain how confident I am in it but Amplitude gave it the ok so I guess we'll see.

That's really cool, thanks for sharing! Wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I feel like Legend as a setting would be more interesting than Space, really. Honestly, there isn't much unique or interesting in Space; it's just an original sci fi setting, of which we have loads (Mass Effect, Star Trek, etc.). While Legend is a very neat blend of low technology and magic, with high technology and advanced poo poo mixed in, almost like Numenara.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The whole idea of a world suffused with nanomachines whose inhabitants don't understand them (beyond niche uses) and use them as money is very cool.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Especially considering that "magic" is just manipulation of said nano machines.

loving Viking people with crossbows made from advanced modern alloys, and shields with futuristic stripe designs on them, fighting a cult of marionettes possesed by an ancient precursor race alien is dope af

Edit: plus, as an argument for Legend as the setting, it is mechanically built with hero units who level up and have gear. It would be cool if whatever system this cat created for the setting involved gear working in a similar way as Legend, providing levels of bonuses that you would mix and match, almost like monster hunter.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 22, 2018

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Especially considering that "magic" is just manipulation of said nano machines.

As someone pointed out in this tread a while ago, Dust makes Endless Legend (and Space) probably the only 4x game where the buyout mechanic for construction actually makes sense, because the sack of cash you're throwing at the project is actually a sack of magic/programmable nanomachines.

loving Viking people with crossbows made from advanced modern alloys, and shields with futuristic stripe designs on them, fighting a cult of marionettes possesed by an ancient precursor race alien is dope af

The Cult is much cooler than that.

The Queen is not an Endless, she's an AI they callously left behind without purpose when they transcended. Enraged at this abandonment, she started the Cult as a religious order whose sole, fanatical purpose is not worshiping the Endless, but hunting them down and making them pay.

So basically the entire faction is a psychotic ex trying to find their former lover's new apartment and set it on fire.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Legends tighter scope gives it much better story telling potential. I'd kill for a good EL board game with great production values. Like Scythe / Twilight Imperium levels.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Avasculous posted:

As someone pointed out in this tread a while ago, Dust makes Endless Legend (and Space) probably the only 4x game where the buyout mechanic for construction actually makes sense, because the sack of cash you're throwing at the project is actually a sack of magic/programmable nanomachines.

I might've been the one who pointed it out, if not then we had the same idea. Yeah. It's a good one really.

quote:

The Queen is not an Endless, she's an AI they callously left behind without purpose when they transcended. Enraged at this abandonment, she started the Cult as a religious order whose sole, fanatical purpose is not worshiping the Endless, but hunting them down and making them pay.

So basically the entire faction is a psychotic ex trying to find their former lover's new apartment and set it on fire.

Yeah, the Queen is implied to be some sort of powerful AI that was constructed to last forever, and is *so* well built she can't even self-terminate because she's indestructible, so she's out to blow up the universe. A psychic computer, too, as its tantrums have been known to mentally scar people. A lot of the Cult members aren't robots, but since they wear armor that makes them look just like the robots it gets ambiguous.

That's one of the big reasons they tear apart towns and cities they conquer. They really want to kill as much as they can, leaving only scattered villages under their control for resource gathering. The Necrophages may be the primary antagonists in most people's stories but the Cult is Sephiroth to their Shinra.

I like how the Mawgar (I keep spelling it wrong) have psychic powers too, but theirs work differently both in-universe and gameplay-wise. Instead of indoctrinating people into permanent servants they seem to forcibly take control of someone's body to give them specific commands, and they UN-pacify villages just to sow chaos. Nasty creatures.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Avasculous posted:

I adopted a "kill on sight" approach to the Cult pretty quickly...
They really are a great antagonist for a 4X, aren't they. They're genuinely creepy, and they send out lots of nice squishy Preacher stacks to kill, and their actual armies are disgustingly powerful (aaghh, I learnt to dread that *clicking* noise from their archers.) Plus, for us RP types, you have the moral dilemma of whether or not to hire their stupidly strong heroes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I feel like Legend as a setting would be more interesting than Space, really. Honestly, there isn't much unique or interesting in Space; it's just an original sci fi setting, of which we have loads (Mass Effect, Star Trek, etc.). While Legend is a very neat blend of low technology and magic, with high technology and advanced poo poo mixed in, almost like Numenara.

I think there's a lot interesting in the race concepts and the mini-stories that come from them. I like the Unfallen and their whole sentience being built around the dual role of fire in plant growth especially. Legend does have a lot stronger core story and presentation to it, thanks to being on a planet and all. It's a lot easier to build something for audiences to wrap their head around since that's also where we live.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I think there's a lot interesting in the race concepts and the mini-stories that come from them. I like the Unfallen and their whole sentience being built around the dual role of fire in plant growth especially. Legend does have a lot stronger core story and presentation to it, thanks to being on a planet and all. It's a lot easier to build something for audiences to wrap their head around since that's also where we live.

Well sure, Space has some awesome interesting stuff, but without a focus on smaller scale personal narrative, it's hard to imagine a fleshed out table top setting coming from it. The game is focused on such macro things like large scale interplanetary population control in the trillions, and entire fleets of ships crewed by large nameless crews. Even ground troops are a resource number.

Legend is much more focused on narrative, as you said, with more being put into smaller scale things. Space feels detached and dead compared to Legend for this reason.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Well sure, Space has some awesome interesting stuff, but without a focus on smaller scale personal narrative, it's hard to imagine a fleshed out table top setting coming from it. The game is focused on such macro things like large scale interplanetary population control in the trillions, and entire fleets of ships crewed by large nameless crews. Even ground troops are a resource number.

Legend is much more focused on narrative, as you said, with more being put into smaller scale things. Space feels detached and dead compared to Legend for this reason.

I love the ES2 universe, but it is hard to think of a narrative or character that *wouldn't* fit into it, somewhere. That'd make it a tough choice for a focused RPG or board game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Playing as Vaulters on EL in the RPG and a Craver nest fleet hits the planet. Yeaaaah.

Any news on the new expansion?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Playing as Vaulters on EL in the RPG and a Craver nest fleet hits the planet. Yeaaaah.

Any news on the new expansion?

I think a trailer and information is going to be released this evening. I got a tweet from them about a Twitch stream at 4.30 pm GMT

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

I think a trailer and information is going to be released this evening. I got a tweet from them about a Twitch stream at 4.30 pm GMT
Oh sweet, I look forward to this, EL is a really great game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mitochondritom posted:

Please post a link here if you get a chance, I will be busy at work and not needing to search for it would be really nice.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Please post a link here if you get a chance, I will be busy at work and not needing to search for it would be really nice.

Twitch link. Should be up in about half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Here you go my dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxGrgsZo8c

quote:

Meet the new guys in town.
Rescued from the brink of extinction after the invasion of their home world by Sowers, the Kapaku were evacuated by the Concrete Endless and sent to Auriga. They were promised a new beginning on a new planet, but discovering the true intentions of their saviors will pit them against both Auriga’s current denizens and the dark remnants of the Dust Wars. They are tinkers and inventors, a race of craftsmen with powerful bonds to earthen energies. Small in size, their resourcefulness and skill led them to create powerful stone golems to use as laborers and soldiers.

The Kapaku are a new race uniquely suited to the Volcanic Terrain, able to thrive off it where other races would struggle, and their symbiotic relationships with their golems allows them to exploit more resources more efficiently, fueling their machinery to turn Auriga into a new Volcanic Paradise. They can exploit the new terrain much better than any other faction, as they are capable of eating the toxic lichen and ashes that would fell other races and their complexion is well suited to the suffocating heat. They require large amounts of strategic resources to use their abilities to their fullest, and must invest them wisely. They also possess unique knowledge of the Dust Eclipses, granted by the Endless themselves.

Amplitude blog post about Inferno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qe05XP5VFY

Amplitude blog about Supremacy

quote:

The Hissho are back, ready to kick rear end and take names!

Tempered by steel and battle, the Hissho evolved from avian ancestors on their Home Planet of Uchi. Focused on the constant wars between their own tribes, they lived ignorant of the different species roaming the galaxy until they were picked up by the Endless, augmented and then quickly put to the test as gladiators fighting in the decadent arenas of their new masters. How long this period of mindless slaughter for the pleasure of their overlords lasted, none of them could say, and of this bygone age only memories of slavery and exploitation remain, along with those of glory and adulation.

quote:

This will be available next week on August 2nd.
Endless Legend Inferno with the discount is available HERE for pre-order for 11.69 € /$ 11.69 / £ 9.89 (-10%)
A bundle of both Endless Space 2 Supremacy & Endless Legend Inferno (HERE) is available for pre-order for 20.78 € /$ 20.78 / £ 17.58

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2018