Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is why we can't have you listening to Question Time, grandad. It gets your blood up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My friend’s house has the most egregious examples of bathroom fittings which piss me off. The sink itself is godawful, a clear glass shallow recessed bowl with flat surfaces on either side for your stuff. It always looks filthy because the clear class shows up every little dried bit of soap or toothpaste residue, and the shallowness of the bowl means it’s very easy for water and suds to splash out and over the sides and leave stains. The tap is hideous, a thin joystick like metal wand with zero indication of where hot and cold are. It has a circular range of movement, with pulled fully towards you being off, and then pushing it back or sideways turning it on but you just have to guess and wait to find out what temp water you’re getting. I guess it was fashionable whenever the bathroom was last renovated but now just looks incredibly tacky and dated. I guess having grown up in an old Victorian house with classic porcelain fittings and separate brass taps has really ruined my ability to function in most modern bathrooms.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

As a Brit I stubbornly support separate hot and cold taps in sinks because it’s what im used to. 95% of the time I’m never using the hot tap anyway as cold water is fine for pretty much every reason you’d wanna use a sink, bar maybe filling it up with hot water when you’re having a shave. Maybe I’m just a loving idiot bathroom fitting luddite but I find mixer taps are never particularly easy to use. I dislike most modern fittings that seem to have decided on angular pointy metallic slabs being the preferred control method, but with no universally agreed upon method of activation - pulling, pushing, lifting, turning etc, and usually it’s difficult to work out which direction is hot and which is cold. There might be a tiny little red or blue spot somewhere on the tap, but are you supposed to push it in the direction of that colour for more of that heat? Or does the visible colour correspond to what heat you’re getting? I far prefer just a cold tap I can turn on and off without needing the lights on and my glasses on to work out how to use.

This makes it sound like even figuring out which tap is hot is difficult to you.

Leave it in the middle and you get lukewarm water.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You realise there are fittings which have separate hot and cold handles and a combined spout, right?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Butterfly Valley posted:

As a Brit I stubbornly support separate hot and cold taps in sinks because it’s what im used to. 95% of the time I’m never using the hot tap anyway as cold water is fine for pretty much every reason you’d wanna use a sink, bar maybe filling it up with hot water when you’re having a shave. Maybe I’m just a loving idiot bathroom fitting luddite but I find mixer taps are never particularly easy to use. I dislike most modern fittings that seem to have decided on angular pointy metallic slabs being the preferred control method, but with no universally agreed upon method of activation - pulling, pushing, lifting, turning etc, and usually it’s difficult to work out which direction is hot and which is cold. There might be a tiny little red or blue spot somewhere on the tap, but are you supposed to push it in the direction of that colour for more of that heat? Or does the visible colour correspond to what heat you’re getting? I far prefer just a cold tap I can turn on and off without needing the lights on and my glasses on to work out how to use.

On the one hand, I definitely have been annoyed by poorly designed sink fixtures, but this sounds a lot like those people in Oregon who thought pumping their own gas was one step down from brain surgery.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

I guess having grown up in an old Victorian house with classic porcelain fittings and separate brass taps has really ruined my ability to function in most modern bathrooms.

Haha, I don't think you get to call other people's tastes tacky or outdated here

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lurking Haro posted:

This makes it sound like even figuring out which tap is hot is difficult to you.

Leave it in the middle and you get lukewarm water.

I never actively want lukewarm water, and half the time I actively don’t want it because I’m filling a glass from the sink to drink from.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I never actively want lukewarm water, and half the time I actively don’t want it because I’m filling a glass from the sink to drink from.

If you can remember which tap is cold, you can remember which side to turn the mixer to.

Any unknown hot tap also has the problem of displacing the cooled down water first before scalding you unless the line is short or it has been used recently.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

On the one hand, I definitely have been annoyed by poorly designed sink fixtures, but this sounds a lot like those people in Oregon who thought pumping their own gas was one step down from brain surgery.

I realise this is a ridiculous hill to die upon and I’m exaggerating my difficulties for comic effect. However I think any amount of time spent considering how to use a loving sink is wasted time and it’s never a problem I’ve had with two tap sinks.

ekuNNN posted:

Haha, I don't think you get to call other people's tastes tacky or outdated here

A simple clean white porcelain or ceramic sink or basin with brass taps is functional and aesthetically versatile and will continue to be in demand a long time after whatever current bathroom fitting trend de rigueur has passed. Fight me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wingnut Ninja posted:

quote:

"I think a lot of people are still going to just keep it going the way it is because Oregonians, for better or for worse, we are traditional people," Acker says. "We stand by our traditions since 1951 when this law passed."
conservative_boomers.txt

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A short guide on how to hide a crane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZnRVkWjBRg

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I guess it was fashionable whenever the bathroom was last renovated but now just looks incredibly tacky and dated. I guess having grown up in an old Victorian house with classic porcelain fittings and separate brass taps has really ruined my ability to function in most modern bathrooms.

My grandmother lived in an old (ca 1900) Victorian, and every bathroom sink, and bathtub (there were 3) had three taps. Hot, cold, and rainwater. The area where she lived had notoriously hard water, and in the 1900s if you wanted soap to even work, you'd use rain water. The gutters emptied into a cistern under the side porch, the contents of which were then pumped up to a storage tank in the attic, and then redistributed throughout the house. I remember her constantly reminding me to never drink from the center tap, as it was only for washing. It wasn't until decades later that I realized the potential for poo poo, bugs, and God only knows what else off the roof, to end up in that cistern. The house got sold, and plumbing modernized, so the 3rd tap system disappeared. I got the pump, though. The contractors that renovated were selling off the stuff they took out of the house. Mostly the old cast iron steam radiators, but amongst them I spotted the old pump, and bought it for $5. Actually found a rebuild kit for it (complete with leather seals), and it works great. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All gas stations should be attendant served and also the attendants should be better trained with better PPE than those in New Jersey and formerly Oregon.

We can drive up and fill our car with cancerous exploding juice and it just happens to make old people killing smog if you happen to do it in the afternoon.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

All gas stations should be attendant served and also the attendants should be better trained with better PPE than those in New Jersey and formerly Oregon.

We can drive up and fill our car with cancerous exploding juice and it just happens to make old people killing smog if you happen to do it in the afternoon.

You say that like speeding olds to their graves is a bad thing.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Its me im the OSHA scare. Like my family's house was built in 1919 and until about 2013 the hot water system was some amalgamation of the the original old metal tank that had been covered in asbestos insulation sometime in between the 50s and 70s; and a 1950s boiler that was deeply inefficient.

The old immersion tank provided hot water for the taps in the house, and required to be manually turned on to get hot water. The 1950s boiler also needed to be manually switched on and provided for the radiators in the house.

When I grew up it was sort of drilled into me don't drink out the hot tap and for the love of God don't get the bath water in your mouth - because no one knew nor particularly wanted to find out what the inside of the 1919 immersion tank looked like or the quality of the water it put out.

I also had to get used to roasting hot baths and using a kettle to make water for washing up.

I didn't realise how loving backward this was till I got my first flat and had hot water on demand without forward planning.

My dad finally bit the bullet and paid out like near 20 grand to get the entire plumbing removed and replaced in about 2014ish but he kept the separate hot and cold taps because it's what he was used too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thumposaurus posted:

PPE handout from work today.

That glove is entirely too happy about his job.

That glove is also literally Hitler.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
was filling out worker's comp for awhile ago, they had some followup questions

- Please advise what safety procedures are in place and what personal protection equipment is provided to employees to help reduce injuries.

- When employees are working in wilderness areas what type of protection or training is provided to help protect employees from being injured by wildlife (such as bears)?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As a Brit I stubbornly support separate hot and cold taps in sinks because it’s what im used to.

I'm so glad a I grew up in Finland where screw taps were obsolete and Oras was the monopoly before I was born. Up and down to adjust water volume, turn left for hot water, turn right for cold. In the middle the water is somewhere between lukewarm and handwarm. It's so nice to wash your hands when the default is warm water.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ethanol posted:

That’s amazing. What astounds me maybe as much as the radial design is the fact that somebody got so far as to create this radical space technology but a starter motor heck no let’s get a guy with some arms in there

Getting your arm lopped off by a propeller was basically best case scenario during ww1/early aviation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Getting your arm lopped off by a propeller was basically best case scenario during ww1/early aviation.

Looks perfectly safe!
http://www.cfinotebook.net/notebook/aircraft-operations/terminal/hand-propping

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ethanol posted:

That’s amazing. What astounds me maybe as much as the radial design is the fact that somebody got so far as to create this radical space technology but a starter motor heck no let’s get a guy with some arms in there

That style of rotary engine is WWI airplane technology, and the planes at that time simply did not have the payload capacity to carry a motor large enough to spin the engine and a battery large enough to spin the motor. This is when cars were still started with a hand crank, remember.

Another fun fact: most engines of that type had no throttle. You'd just start them up and they'd run full bore until shut down. That was fine for flying, since you were always looking for more power anyway, but the only way to reduce power for landing was to cut off the ignition entirely and let the engine freewheel. If you slowed down, turn the ignition back on, engine speeds up to full power, cut it again, back and forth.

This is why old planes landing in movies always go BRRRRRRRTTTTTTTvvvvv v v v vvvvv vv vv BRRVEVRVRRTBTBTBTTT vv v vv vvvv v v v v vbRBTBTBBRBMBRMRMBRBRTTTTTT v vv vv vv

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Butterfly Valley posted:

wow, finally a region that makes oregon and new jersey look reasonably intelligent despite their citizens being unable to pump gas

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sagebrush posted:

BRRRRRRRTTTTTTTvvvvv v v v vvvvv vv vv BRRVEVRVRRTBTBTBTTT vv v vv vvvv v v v v vbRBTBTBBRBMBRMRMBRBRTTTTTT v vv vv vv
Hell, :same:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

hoyl poo poo lol

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Man, the Minnow just can't catch a break.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That boat is going head over keel for the truck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well he successfully stopped before the line.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Bah, this is how you're supposed to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeHE9KVhSI

Bit late, but I remember this mission being pretty difficult in Vice city with the loving ps2 controller.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

zedprime posted:

All gas stations should be attendant served

Ugh, no. I’ll elect to get more expensive gas in my own state if it means not having to interact with someone :reject:
Bring on the cancer/Elon’s stupid robot tentacle!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Saukkis posted:

I'm so glad a I grew up in Finland where screw taps were obsolete and Oras was the monopoly before I was born. Up and down to adjust water volume, turn left for hot water, turn right for cold. In the middle the water is somewhere between lukewarm and handwarm. It's so nice to wash your hands when the default is warm water.

Finland here, my parents got an Oras screw tap in their upper bathroom. House built 1977. It's actually a mixer tap though, just got two knobs you adjust, personally I think it rules. And it's still in perfect working order. Quality.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finland here, my parents got an Oras screw tap in their upper bathroom. House built 1977. It's actually a mixer tap though, just got two knobs you adjust, personally I think it rules. And it's still in perfect working order. Quality.

The dishwasher valve likes to seize up after only 10-15 years but otherwise this.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

PPE handout from work today.

That glove is entirely too happy about his job.

Shouldnt he be making hamburger helper?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Blackchamber posted:

Shouldnt he be making hamburger helper?

It's his day off. He's getting his hamburger helped now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Looks like a pretty good ad for those brake pads.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If your sink is too confusing, just get something simple like this one.
https://i.imgur.com/SsUrvU9.mp4

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

duz posted:

If your sink is too confusing, just get something simple like this one.
https://i.imgur.com/SsUrvU9.mp4

*gets the peasants all riled up about this sorcery*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
honestly it just fucks with my ocd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The cinema I frequent recently installed these sink + hand dryer combos and they are not intuitive to use the first time around. It's no surprise there were instruction sheets on how to use them taped to the mirrors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkpP-mEUcAs

People have seem to gotten used to motion sensitive sinks in public places tho. If they don't have them, people sometimes leave the water running, simply because they are so used to them automatically stopping (or maybe they are just being dicks).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2018